main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Draft: Ten Year Stanniversary

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Apr 20, 2015.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Waiting on bribes.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

3. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  5. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    I am the Ultimate Baltimore Fan. I have been respectful and nice to Cleveland this whole time. Thats a bribe :)

6. wolverine's dead

wolverine's dead Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    to be fair....all the nba free agents are getting deals like that, the nba players are more concerned about money than winning....or even playing real basketball for that matter...i am an nba fan too and im saying that

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Guardians of the West Coast
    Star Lord (Peter Quill; Marvel 616)
    Drax (The Destroyer; Marvel 616)
    Mantis (Marvel 616)
    Hawkeye (Clint Barton; Marvel 616)
    War Machine (Rhodey; Marvel 616)
    Tigra (Greer Grant; Marvel 616) *prepared* in the rainforest vs Thundermind

I just don't think the Guardians have enough firepower to take down Thundermind. That's ultimately what it comes down to. Sure Drax killed Thanos, but that was his purpose. I'm not actually sure at all what Tigra brings. Star Lord and Rhodey and Clint can keep shooting all the ammo they have, but no one aside from Drax is really super durable. On their own, this team just doesn't have enough in my opinion. But I confess, I don't know enough about this one to feel confident. I am open to reconsidering this match.

Barry Allen (New Earth) vs Magneto

So, I thought about this one probably the most. Here's my thoughts:

1) Barry isn't prepared. Neither is Erik. So both start with the same advantage. Only one is faster than sound though...
    2) Barry wears Metal lightning bolts. If Mags say shoved those through his legs, that would cause him to stumble long enough.
    3) Magneto's (now not) son is a speedster and he's familiar with others.
    4) On the other hand, Barry has fought Polaris. So not a lot of new territory for either one.
    5) If Barry gets in before Magneto shields himself, he could ring that helmet like a bell.
    6) On the other hand, Magneto's been shown to take some serious hits from serious heavy hitters.
    7) It's called Minch's Magneto Manlove for a reason right?

I do really like Barry, but Magneto is one of those few that I could see surviving a speedblitz from Barry and after that, I'm not sure what happens. We'll see how the other judges feel.

Doctor Fate *prepared* fortress of solitude vs Icon

Prep does it for me. That plus location. Icon's very good, but without being able to get the drop on Fate, I lean towards the doc.

PearsOfKrissto likes this.
  8. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
  9. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    And just to pass the time...

Dex-Staar #2- After licking his wounds from his battle with an incensed Hulk and being cast away by his new master, Dex returned to aid his master Lord Apocalypse against the fury of an angry Firelord.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I actually like the Guardians team to win. I don't get the argument against Drax and his Thanos feats that they should be discounted. So, here's really got the best feats in the battle. With that in mind, here's got plenty of backup and prep time, against an opponent who looks better in paper than he has in actual feats, at least from what I've seen.

Agreed on Fate and Magneto, though that one is closer the less neutering is done.

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Oh, the Drax killing Thanos feat imo should be unusable. I'm pretty sure that's the Annihilation storyline. It's not just that Drax is engineered to kill Thanos, it's that it's inherent in that engineering that Drax basically can bypass all of Thanos' defenses. Thanos is way way more powerful than Drax, but basically his shielding, his endurance, all didn't matter just because Drax had, essentially, 100% type advantage. Basically a hard Thanos bypass/counter. It doesn't have anything to do with fighting anyone else.

And because I read that comic, it's also of note that Thanos had his back turned and wasn't fighting at all, and was busy doing something else, and Drax walked up behind him and stabbed him.

Not disagreeing with the decision at all, I don't know much about that match. But I don't think that "feat" is worth anything against anyone else.

12. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, pretty much exactly what Yak has said. But it goes a small bit deeper than that.

Thanos was working against the clock, focusing entirely on freeing Galactus so that he can go wreck the Annihilation wave. He's not even paying attention to his surroundings because he has to be fast to free Galactus. And then Drax pops in behind him, with his ability to bypass all of Thanos' defenses, and just rips out his heart. Thanos' last word is "Interesting..." because, while this is unexpected, at this point in Thanos' history he'd spent enough time with Mistress Death to become content with the aspect of mortality. His own death being a sort've ultimate gift he could give to her so that they could be together. So the Thanos Drax killed not only had his defenses bypassed because that's what Drax was made to do, but also was distracted and the most content with perishing that he's ever been. There was no fight in him. In fact, when he's resurrected later, he's so angry that he lashes out and immediately kills Phyla.

PearsOfKrissto likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    What do you guys think about mantis' abilities in this fight - her precognitive abilities, ability to find weaknesses, plant manipulation bearing in mind she's fighting in the rainforest, and that the guardians have prep?

14. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Mantis is part of the reason why, while I agree with Yak that I don't agree with the Thanos kill being an actual "feat", I'm not advocating one side or the other in this battle.

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    And I have no idea who Mantis is and am also silent on the matter of who wins.

16. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I should apologize for the delay here. I've been unable to commit to this this week. Update after the holiday.

17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Where are you on holiday?

18. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015

The main concern i had with Mantis was her precognition. So the thought I had, is everytime it has been in use it as against a pretty heavy character who had a plan. Something one could forsee and plan against, nothing spur of the moment. Thundermind has no prep, so everything will be off the top of his head midfight.

19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    But isn't the whole point of being able to psychically see into the future, it wouldn't matter if your opponent had a plan or not?

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Appreciate the further insight on the Drax-Thanos bit. Doesn't sway me, as that wasn't really as pivotal to my judgment as perhaps I made it sound

21. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015

I figure absolutely, if the plan cannot be changed on the spot. But with no plan, it kinda throws in a certain unpredictability.

22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I knew you'd say that

23. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Ultron (In Adam Warlock's body) punching her in the head, and her knowing where to stand to receive that wound, was completely reactionary to the destruction of the spire. Lesser precogs would have had no idea where that would've taken place, only that Ultron was likely to be on his way.

24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    My ongoing series demands that Magneto's fight have a location...

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Flash Library, if it's my home field.

Also, I'm still not sure how Magneto won that but oh well.