main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Comic Book Mini-Draft 1.0 / Rise of the Scrubs - drafting in progress

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mikaboshi, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    Which version of Hawkgirl/Hawkman are we using? According to the end of blackest night, Hawkgirl resurrected as Sheira Hall, with all her memories of her past reincarnations and so did Carter Hall. So, if it is Sheira and Carter Hall, I choose them.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm not really sure who else you thought they would be...

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE

4. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    Well there was that Kendra Saunders until very very very recently...

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hmm...I'll try Toxin, thanks.

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    There has been a trade! The Yak has traded... HIS WHOLE TEAM to The Chim.

8. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    We're doing current power unless dead or depowered, right?

Okay, so I need a little clarification, then. When we say depowered, does that mean completely and totally depowered, and if a character still has any power whatsoever, then it's their current level, no ifs, ands or buts?

I mean... oh, I dunno, just as a completely random example that has absolutely no bearing on my pick (honest!), what about a character whose powers are currently in a state of flux due to, as of yet, unexplained reasons?

9. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Oh boy it is like hitting the lottery, minus all the benefits!

10. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Are they currently less powerful or more powerful?

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    What if they lost 1 part of their power? Like if Jean lost her TP but still has TK?

12. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Serious Yak? OK, no problem. Be sure to stick around though, it wouldn't be a draft without the Yak. Welcome to the party Chim.

Durron, see this is why I never liked the idea of going to current power levels vs peak. It is too questionable as to what we are allowing. Sure we said current, unless dead or depowered, but what about powers in a state of flux or a severely cut in power version of someone? I don't like it, and it is confusing.

With peak we knew where most people stood, we had set limits on not allowing external power boosts or temporary enhancements. It was easy to look at the life of a character, and then say that the average peak of a person is X.

Do we want to go back to peak now before we get going? Nobody would really be effected as far as I see, but it is up to you guys.

13. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Technically, less powerful, but only in the sense that their power can now, on occasion, be unpredicatable and not always achieve the desired result.

But in thinking about it, I'm guessing that these are precisely the situations where the die roll can be a good thing. Good roll, powers work great. Crappy roll, powers go wonky. Though... with this character, wonky powers could still easily result in a win, depending on this or that.

But, damn, I just don't know. I'm not terribly fond of the idea of my first round pick potentially being so all over the place based on whether or not I get lucky. And that's still my biggest issue with the system. There's always an element of luck involved in these games (like getting great matchups with your numbers), but luck shouldn't be the driving force behind who wins and who loses.

Whatever. I'm just going to go with it and see what happens.

Atom Eve

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Called it.

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ah. Her. Oh yeah I'll still be here. Well, I'd think the lower the roll, the more "bad wonky" her powers would go. 50 could be "better than she intended wonky"

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    They've never gone "better than she expected" wonky.

17. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
  18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  19. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    OK it is Chim's turn, but I am going to ask that we hold off just a bit. I would like to discuss the Current vs Peak power levels, and which is going to work best.

Does anyone percieve going w/ Current being an issue? Questions have already come up, which I don't necessarily mind, but there really never was a problem with peak IMHO. We had rules set to cap those who were problematic in most cases, and the system seems to have worked for a long time.

Do we want to go with the current thing for the entire draft and play it out to see how it works? Or change back to what we already know works?

20. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm Postponing my pick until I can find a suitable picture I can Post with him.

EDIT: Also what the Commish said... lol

My idea with power levels for each and every draft I take part in is that we use peak powers, but more of an average showing of their I guess. If that makes sense? Like obviously when we had the awesome characters in here like Onslaught and Thanos and all them we didn't use them as 'peak's we used them in forms. If character X some how one time blows up a planet and it is known they cannot do it ever again then that is beyond the scope of power level discussion in this draft.

The problem with taking people at 'current' levels in my mind is how is that determined? I'd say a fair few of these characters don't even exist any more. Either because their comics ended or they were killed off or whatever. I don't see what the problem is with taking characters at their peaks is, ESPECIALLY these guys. Their peak showings are pretty tame for the most part and that is how we have always done it anyway. I personally don't have a problem with taking them either way, probably won't affect too many of my picks anyway, judging possibly but not drafting because I go with the guys I know.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm more along the lines with Chim. Characters should be judged on something that can be shown consistently. Peak is always arguable because some are peak for only a few pages and never again. Likewise with current. If we had started this draft before blackest night ended, would we have considered Scarecrow a yellow lantern? I'd think not. But that would have been his current level.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I always liked averaged out peak showings, myself. Current may end up causing more problems than it's worth in the long run, from the looks of things now.

23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I have, really, 1 main problem with peak. This Moonstone w 2 moonstones, Lobo with the Eye, Blastaar with the control rod... Honestly, when you think Blastaar do you think control rod? No, that's Annihilus. Even Rogue with Sunfire powers. No, she should have Ms. Marvel powers. ALTHOUGH her current form is the best, since she has full control of her powers and I'd rather use that one. Plus it's not some temporary powerup.

I guess the point I'm saying is, sure, peak is good, but not like a 2-year peak. If it's a natural progression of their power (like Rogue in this case) fine, that's great. But if it's someone having some random weapon for 3 years (which is nothing in comics) they really shouldn't get it. And it really should be able to be an association test. Do you think of Cyborg Supes with rings? Yes, he's had them like forever. Do you think of Mongul with rings? No. Peak should have to be a good long time, no Phoenix shard for Rachel. To me, if it's debatable then it should be disallowed, unless it's a normal part of their power that's just been "released" such as Rogue or something like that. Additional weapons they've only had a few years basically should be disallowed.

And then people like Psylocke who keep changing should just have to specify which version. Honestly they change her powers more than anything I've ever seen.

24. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't think it really matters if you're using the dice roll. You're not always going to get 'peak' anyway.

My main point with bringing up that people are judged as current had more to do with what items they might have. i.e. the moonstones, the eye, the control rod.

25. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    So really what I am hearing, I think, is that an average of what a characters long term abilities have been? Which when I think peak, that is what I tend to think. Let's look at someone like Thor, he has had all kinds of highs and lows, but we all pretty much know his average....no Odin Force stuff....no Rune King stuff....his average when running at peak preformance.

I also tended to look at peak and then say OK, so we throw out PIS showings.....stuff like Spiderman beating Firelord....or vice versa. That kind of stuff shouldn't count.

Also, definately agreeing with EF and Yak on the items. Stuff that some of these characters were seen holding for a, not really using much, that shouldn't be something that we give them access too. That is where things tend to get sketchy IMO. But in the instance of Lobo, we don't think of him running around using the eye, weapons and stuff? Yes. Chains and bike? Yes. The Eye? No.

I am heavily leaning towards going back to common sense peak preformance judging, we all seem to know what that means. I will sleep on it, and unless any heavy objections are given we can switch back to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.