main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book MINI Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 17, 2017.

1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I don't know much about the WOnder Woman thing, unless it's one I'm thinking of where he was fighting Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman at the same time.
    Do you have a date on that? The only thing I could find searching that title was For the Man WHo Has Everything, where Mongul (Sr) whooped up on WW before getting stopped by Superman.
    Actually upon reading the synopsis again, the fight with Superman was even. ANyways it was the old Mongul, who is generally considered and demonstrated to be weaker than this one, even with no rings.

I have the SInestro one somewhere, here or my parents' house. He was totally owning SInestro till Sinesto used a failsafe in the ring he was wearing to cripple him and trapped him in the Power Battery.

What a happy ending for Atrocitus and Dex. After taking his talents to numerous other partners, Dex has come home!

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

She and Batman went into the Phantom Zone in the comic I actually cited as we're supposed to ( :p ), and then she closed a breach Mongul and Non were trying to open to escape by stopping them, is what the description said.

3. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I just totally couldn't find i when I searched by that title. That's why I asked for a date. Which I was as successful at getting as I usually am... I'll try again.

It doesn't look like she was doing too well against Mongul from the synopsis, or at least he had time to attack Batman as well. Looks like they just escaped.

Also found in Mongul's bio a recent victory over a suped-up Black Adam or something, can't tell if it was with rings or not. Although with some of what I've been reading in the N52 Adam fights, it seems like they just aren't writing him as powerful anymore to me.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The Black Adam stuff is post-Vicar conversion, hence me asking before (and without ring, which leads me to believe that power-set isn't valid here). He'd wipe the floor with probably everyone short of SS/Thor/BRB on the list otherwise. Not sure even the two Image guys could take him there.

5. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Ah I see. You're probably right on that. I don't know that I'd put Mongul below those 3 guys anyway, in terms of power. Variety, sure. But then the ring takes care of that. Even though when I see him use it, he uses it like a doofus.

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    There's not that much out there to read up on in regards to Talisman's feats and abilities. From what there is, she is a Native American Indian, Mother Earth, force for good type. Her power is that She is essentially a conduit for magic. Her whole purpose is that she is the mortal proxy for Earth's Gods to fight for them. If she's true to her powers, I'm not sure (with or without prep,) why she'd be going on the offensive with two of the Earth's good guys?

From what feats and scans that I have found, although they show that she is a superhero of great potential, she's still somewhat a hero in training, and needs a lot of mentoring from others. She shows a lot of naivety in battle, and is not a seasoned veteran like either Moondragon, or Black Bolt. I've seen scans of her being duped by this evil looking magic dude
    [​IMG]
    and also, even fatally wounded by this Wendigo infected Wolverine
    [​IMG]
    She always seems to require on the job training from her Father Shaman to be effective, otherwise she makes poor choices.

From Comic Vine regarding her lack of maturity:

Soon after, she joined her father in Alpha Flight, gradually forgiving him for his perceived past failings. Liz went on to assist the Alpha Flight in battling the Berserkers, Caliber and also venturing with them to the Realm of the Great Beasts to rescue the spirit of their beloved teammate Sasquatch. During a battle with Omega Flight, Shaman's pouch was turned inside out. Fearing what could happen he asked Liz to go inside and collapse it's interior. He promised she would be safe but he was distracted and she ended up getting trapped inside. Luckily the Beyonder set her free but she once again lost her trust in her father and quit the team in disgust.
    [​IMG]
    The Coronet amplified her anger and immaturity. When Shaman was trying to find a safe place for Snowbird to deliver her baby, Liz misdirected him to where F.R. Crozier's hate-filled spirit was located. She intended for his spirit to possess the newborn child. Once possessed the child became Pestilence and began defeating Alpha Flight. Liz wanted her father and the rest of Alpha Flight to fail so that she could swoop in and save the day where they could not. She figured she could control the spirit but since Crozier had never died he was beyond her control and in control of power comparable to demi-gods. Pestilence ripped the Coronet from Liz's head reducing her back to a mere mortal. Shaman took on the responsibility of Talisman so that his daughter could lead a normal life. This act finally proved to Liz how much her father actually loved her.

About Talisman's powers (in relation to this game). A lot of them have to do with inter-dimensional travel (so that's BFR out), and the channeling/absorbing of magical energies. Neither of my two fighters are magic users - just a bunch of science, super strength, and battle savvy. As a conduit of magic, a lot of her powers involve commanding Earth spirits - how is that not different to drafting in other characters? How quick would I be shut down by an opposing GM, or judge, if when arguing for John Constantine, that he could summon a demon to do his fighting for him? I have Cable with prep in an upcoming round - what if I got him to teleport into the future, and bring back an army of mutants? No way would anyone stand for it, so why would anyone see Talisman say, summoning the Earth spirits and creating a Rock Golem as anything different?

Magical powers aside, she is only human, with very little in the way of actual hand to hand fighting skill. She needs to counter two very able fighters, with two very different power sets. She might be able to take one down, but it wouldn't be inconceivable that the other could tag her in some shape or form, and take her out.

Lastly, here's something interesting on her official Marvel biog:
    "After joining the Omega Flight team Talisman, discovered that she was not as powerful as she once was. Her current level of power and the reason for its diminished level drop is still unclear."

SOURCE: http://marvel.com/universe/Talisman_(Elizabeth_Twoyoungmen)

And as little Stevie Sirkin has earlier pointed out in this draft - who are we to dispute the official word of Marvel?
    [​IMG]
    So as this is a sports related round, allow me to end with a quote from fictional sports agent Jerry Maguire "There's genius everywhere, but until they turn pro, it's like popcorn in the pan. Some pop... some don't."

7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Iron Man, Vision & Kilowog vs Doomsday

For this one, I'm going to let my uncle Al argue for Team Punk

MandaloreYak likes this.
  8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Thor vs BRB

I believe Thor has improved since that earlier fight against BRB, and I guess this one comes down to who has the most overall experience, the more higher end feats, and who would win this battle more often than not.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How are we supposed to vote for a guy who always is telling us he's gonna "be right back"...

Darth Punk likes this.
  10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    To be fair, Bill should get three time-outs per half

dp4m likes this.
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Regarding their weapons..

While Stormbreaker is quite similar to Mjolnir, it is unable perform abilities innate to Thor's unique heritage, such as the God Blast, Warrior's Madness, and Rune Magic. Although stormbreaker can, in theory, perform most of the other abilities Mjolnir has displayed(magnetism, anti-matter creation, anti-force,etc.), Stormbreaker has not demonstrated some of the finer and less often seen abilities with his hammer that Thor has. Whether this is by choice, Stormbreaker's limitations, or simply due to Bill's lesser experience with that power is unknown.

SOURCE: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/beta-ray-bill/4005-6139/

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Apparently not? :p

14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Don't mind me, just wandering through. [face_whistling]

dp4m likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    jerk

Mikaboshi likes this.
  16. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    We Are (Definitely Not) Family vs. Hundred Acre Woods Most Wanted

Talisman (Prepared) vs. Moondragon TRUMPED with Black Bolt

If not a trump I could see giving a win to Talisman, but I don't see her surviving them aligned against her. Talisman seems to be at her most dangerous against magic using opponents anyway.

Doomsday vs. Iron Man TRUMPED with Vision AND Kilowog

I don't really see how they can hurt DDay, he's kind of like Juggernaut....except actually impressive.

Beta Ray Bill Vs. Thor
    Yeah, Thor.

dp4m's Secret Team to fight Inflation vs. Charybdis Revenge

Gladiator TRUMPED with Professor X vs. Rachel Summers

Professor X (forfeit) vs. Black Panther (prepared)

Invicible TRUMPED with Omni-Man vs. Mongul (Yellow Lantern)

Mongul actually does seem capable of dealing with Viltrumites, even without a ring to be honest. I think the ring allows him to take out the trump, but only barely.

108 Years to Get Harry Carayed Away vs. The Yak's Inferno, Presented by the Daily Bugle

Angela vs. Dex-Star TRUMPED with Atrocitus

Captain Marvel TRUMPED with Human Torch vs. Magneto TRUMPED with Apocalypse

Hulk (Savage) vs. Captain Cold TRUMPED with The Shark

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Sorry. I really did mean to argue for Cold and Shark and I still will. Just will have to wait for the weekend. Hopefully. It's just as well. Juggernaut is the only possible other person I may seriously argue for.
    Especially after that Doomsday comment, which I'm pretty sure was half-intended just to nettle The Yak.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Al Pacino feels a bit nettled too

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Eisenhardt/Nur 2020. Their vision for the future is 20/20.

And it doesn't include flatscans.

Or the Vision.

Or lame Captain Marvel knockoffs.

Darth Punk likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I is disapoint. I figured that if steel could stop doomsday, then my three intelligent flying guys could figure out a way to incapacitate him. It's not as though they have to kill him to get a win here.

[​IMG]

21. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I can't recall a match yet that I wouldn't have voted Doomsday on. But then, I only remember the Doom one.

Darth Punk likes this.
  22. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Talisman (Prepared) vs. Moondragon TRUMPED with Black Bolt

It's difficult because, potentially, Talisman is one of the best picks in here. In practice, she hasn't really been able to live up to that, but is still formidable. The difficulty is I think Black Bolt also has huge potential. Given the choice, Black Bolt is the bigger threat. Moondragon helps. Trump

Doomsday vs. Iron Man TRUMPED with Vision AND Kilowog

Things have changed since Doomsday tore through DC in DoS, but Green Lanterns haven't changed that much to change the fact that he tore through many of them simultaneously. Kilowog is not up to it, and Iron Man--unless he's changed this recently--isn't doing it without at least some time to develop a proprietary Doomsday counter. It's definitely an interesting fight, and they're going to have the opportunity to attempt a lot of things to stop him, but they're not going to beat Doomsday.

Beta Ray Bill Vs. Thor

So I think this is worth 3, if for nothing more than a gesture. Bill.

Gladiator TRUMPED with Professor X vs. Rachel Summers

Not sure she beats him even without Gladiator there. Trump

Mongul is nice, but beating this kind of trump? Don't think so. Father/Son

Angela vs. Dex-Star TRUMPED with Atrocitus

Atrocitus without too much difficulty. Interesting, at least. I like her chances, but maybe if she were more established.

Captain Marvel TRUMPED with Human Torch vs. Magneto TRUMPED with Apocalypse

Hulk (Savage) vs. Captain Cold TRUMPED with The Shark

I'd love to hear it in this case.

heels1785 and Darth Punk like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DarthIntegral -- think you're on the hook for two:

Beta Ray Bill Vs. Thor

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Thor. It's a fun match - and we have a few that I think are even more fun - but I don't think Thor loses it.
    Trump. Just a damn tough trump to break.

Not sure I would have gone Doomsday or Hulk, TBH.

We Are (Definitely Not) Family (1) vs. Hundred Acre Woods Most Wanted (2)

Stryfe vs. Cable (Prepared)
    Maker (preapred) vs. Amadeus Cho
    Swamp Thing vs. John Constantine (Prepared)

dp4m's Secret Team to fight Inflation (2) vs. Charybdis Revenge

Nova TRUMPED with Aquaman vs. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    Superman TRUMPED with Wonder Woman vs. Loki
    Aquaman (forfeit, watching reruns of The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure) vs. Magik

108 Years to Get Harry Carayed Away (1) vs. The Yak's Inferno, Presented by the Daily Bugle (2)

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) vs. Juggernaut
    Power Girl vs. Etrigan
    Zatanna vs. Atrocitus (forfeit)

Darth Punk likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    dp4m's Secret Team to fight Inflation (2) vs. Charybdis Revenge

Nova TRUMPED with Aquaman vs. Green Lantern (John Stewart)

This should, hopefully, be a straightforward fight -- with Nova powers being significantly better than Green Lantern powers on their own, and Aquaman providing enough distraction (or in Inty's case, just standing there looking dumb enough) for them to take it down. The Worldmind should provide a significant boost here for any willpower-related feats, and it's also not out of the question that Nova's energy manipulations can, y'know, just drain the ring...

Superman TRUMPED with Wonder Woman vs. Loki

DarthIntegral -- let me just suit up for this fight...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Which do you think looks better for this fight?

PS - This is also why I put Superman with a hard-magic counter in Wonder Woman, let alone that they are incredibly well-paired as a fighting-combo to begin with...

Aquaman (forfeit, watching reruns of The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure) vs. Magik

[​IMG]

Party time. Excellent!

Darth Punk likes this.