THE Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Aug 8, 2006.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    "Comics" seems like an underrated term anymore for what we see now-a-days. They aren't really funny much anymore.
    I know we have the "Legacy" thread and I for one will still post about that comic in that thread but there are far more out there than just that title. I'm still a HUGE comic fan! and I collect a lot. Great stories out there, thought it would be nice to have a general thread.

Anyone collecting Marvel's Civil War?
    It's totally awesome. 7 issues only. In the Marvel universe, a horrible event goes very wrong in a sqirmish between 4 heroes who are rather inexperienced against 4 rather experienced villians and one of them has the ability to explode with a nuclear impact, thus his name is Nuke. Well Nuke decides to go nuclear during the battle but does it some 100 feet from an elementary school where kids are playing. Story short, the US government now puts legislation that ALL heroes are to register with the USG or be considered breaking the law for using there powers even if it is to help! This creates a quick line down the middle and it's hero against hero. Iron Man vs Captain America? That was pretty cool I thought. and the Total Shocker! Peter Parker registers his abilities and reveals himself at a huge press conference on live TV that he is Spider-man since he was 15. If anyone is reading Spidey titles, it's getting real interesting.

DC's 52- A year long storyline that explains the events after Infinite Crisis. DC's summer blockbuster. It was well done.

Dark Horses' Knights of the Old Republic- I haven't seen a single post on this. So far I like it and now they are bringing in the Mandalorians. Could get more interesting now.

X-men anyone?

Batman- just got Grant Morrison on writing duties and Andy Kubert on pencils and it is killer! Grant is bringing around an old story that I have wondered about ever since I read the one shot Graphic Novel-Batman-son of the demon in which Talia(Ras al ghoul's daughter) and Bruce have a son, only he was never told.

And coming up around the corner from Dark Horse...

Star Wars: Dark Times - The dark times are here. Even as worlds of the former Republic are drawn into the iron grip of Palpatine's Empire, the galaxy seems adrift in a sea of chaos, lawlessness and despair.
    On Coruscant, Darth Vader waits for his Master to reveal his vision for the future. But is there a plan beyond obtaining power? On New Plympto, Jedi Master Dass Jennir leads a Nosaurian army in a war they have already lost. Is this what it now means to be a Jedi?
    Dark Times #1 arrives Oct. 25th

whatever you read, mainstream or underground, share man, share :)
  2. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    great idea cory.

kim got me the first three civil war books and i am still waiting til i have some time to sit back and read them. sounds like they are really good

legacy kicks butt, cade is so much a cross between luke, vader and quin. all of the characters seem to have alot of depth to them. lots of good costume ideas. wouldnt expect anything less from jan

kotor is comming along nice

3. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Sorry DH, I didn't mean to spoil some of Civil War for ya. Just trying to generate some interest.

Legacy does kick butt, O immortalized one! ;) (that just so ROCKS for you Jeff)

4. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Read a huge chunk of KOTOR the other night. I don't know who alls reading this title but it's so weird looking at the background art and thinking to myself, Hey, I remember running around in the undercity on Taris. It's cool to see them revolve around some of that storyline or a little before it cuz the Jedi Council still resides on Dantooine in this story.
    A young Padawan accidentally catches his Master and other Jedis standing over their slain padawans with their lightsabers in hand ignited. Poor Zayne is the only one left of the students that must still be slain, that is till he escapes them and leads them on one heck of a chase.
    This is a different time of the Jedi Order. I find it surprising that Jedi would take it upon themselves without Council from the higher ups, to slay students who they think might be possible Sith. A group of Jedi Seers catch a glimpse of the future but the future is always uncertain, even for the Jedi. At the end of this story arc, the Jedi make an enemy out of one of their own and it is a mistake that I think will bite them in the arse later down the line. I hope they come back to this.

Next up in KOTOR... Mandalorians!
  5. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm not so sure about the legacy comic . I'm just so burned out of skywalkers . But I'm gonna give it a fair chance and hope it doesn't dwell on cade too much . As for the KOTOR title I only caught the last three issues but so far i like it a lot . the tie in with the VG is good and that helps to build a store even if its only through the settings .
  6. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    looks like some interesting things are on the way!

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/news20060814.html

... and Zayne WILL be back! Cool!
  7. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    i hope knights goes for a while. the read time should be comperable to game time :p

i still need to read legacy again.

i have a dumb question. were there any jedi in shmi's family before anakin or was he the first skywalker to have the force? i wonder...
  8. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Good Question DH. I am unaware of any Jedis in Shmi's family before Anakin. How much history have they ever gone into about her anyway?
  9. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    i dont think they went into it much at all

10. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    OK already! I'm going to the comic shop RIGHT NOW, and hoping the little old lady has saved me copies of everything. :p
  11. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Missed out on KOTOR. I'll get the next ish tomorrow when the shipment comes in.

But I did get the newest Legacy and Rebellion. Nice. Although, I don't think I'll be buying more of Rebellion -- it's just...bland.

Picked up a couple indy comics, too...and...wasn't too impressed.

Maybe...tomorrow.
  12. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Zoom, if you get issue #7 of KOTOR, it starts a brand new storyline so you won't miss much.

Rebellion- it's a little bland but I'm gonna hang in there and see if it takes off. I like the idea of Luke in his beginnings with the alliance. I try to give most titles a few issues to get off the ground.

I wish I could say that I'm more selective about what I read but I do collect a lot of titles. For the most part though, the industry is filled with junk comics! To that I say, " Knock off all that bad writing and give a story worthy for the money you are charging us!" Sheesh!
  13. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    I bought the first two issues of 'Green Lantern Corps'. I havent had a chance to read them but I hope theyre good. It would be nice to read a series from the beginning that I really dont know much about.

Justice League of America. A new one. Issue # 1, with the caption, "who's in?" and a picture of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on the front.
    I'm not current on any of their comics, but I guess they all died at different times in different stories... (and apparently each one was mourned by the other two. Not sure how that works out. Anyway,...)
    Somehow, theyre starting over now. :confused: Its weird. I dont get it, but I'm going to stick with it. Its the new JLoA series. Issue #1. So, like GLC, I hope its good and continues on.

G.I. Joe; Americas Elite, Declassified, Master and Apprentice, and Snake Eyes-Declassified. - These have gotten really frickin good, IMO.
    -AE is the running series. I guess it was recently re-sold and restarted AGAIN. Its up to #13.
    -Declassified is a title they stick on any kind of backstory thats not just a re-hash. ;) There is a one thats "GI JOE". Like... all of them. Then theres one thats for Snake Eyes (Which is SWEEEET) and one for Scarlett (which I cant find yet [face_praying] .
    The Master and Apprentice 1&2 series (4 issues each) kinda focused on Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow and reveals more backstory, but also introduced new students.

The whole GI Joe...thing has been done over and restarted and redone again and again. If you can get past that :) or if its just new to you, you may like it. LOL
    No, really. I like it. Even if they tell and old story, theres a cool new spin or added element. The art is amazing, and its a bit more hardcore.

And of course, Ninjas. Lots of Ninjas. :D

(When Storm Shadow speaks I try to imagine the voice from the cartoon. Its awesome. :D )

Legacy is still cool. Havent read the other ones.
  14. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow Buddy, you have been hitting the books lately, haven't you?

The GL Corps got better after they brought Hal Jordan back. IMO I don't read that book but they drop hints occasionally in other titles.

As for the JLA... I will fill you in on all that sunday and bring you up to speed cuz if you haven't been hangin out in the DC universe lately, you have missed a lot. They have been working towards this for some time but it was done really well. Big talking points are Batman being betrayed by some members of the JLA in the form of mind wiping, Wonder Woman snapping the neck of a government operative while it is caught on camera and Supes is just plain hacked off at the both of them. Not good for any group when the leaders are at each others throats.
  15. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    When DO the new issues come out? Was at the shop yesterday and the lady said they weren't out yet.

At least in this most recent issue of Rebellion the artwork didn't bother me as much as the previous issue.
  16. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    edit : http://www.darkhorse.com/comics/upcoming.php

it lists legacy #4 but there is no legacy #3 out yet :confused:
  17. SITH__CHICK RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 7
    I thought all new releases came out on Weds? Jeff started reading "Civil War" the one where Spidey gets unmasked? Took me forever to find out anything about it & there are 1 million "Civil War" comics out there right now.

I'm still getting all my Lady Death comics that I like the cover for & E1 just got me hooked on Lithos, so my collection will get bigger in no time.
  18. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Legacy #3

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-455
  19. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    KOTOR #8

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-894
  20. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Bump. Legacy #3 out in store(s) in P-town tomorrow. w00t.

Do we have more than one comic shop? [face_laugh]

Mistress was mentioning that we have geeky game shop #2 in town. Something called "Otaku Gamer." I must check it out.
  21. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    Have mine reserved til next week so I will post then.

Hey Darth Hair, CIvil War #4 is out!
  22. darth_hair Force Ghost

star 5
    i still need to read 1-3. maybe this weekend.

i did read the R.A. Salvatore's forgoten relms the crystal shard. great book. its like 48 pages that reads like a novel . very cool.
  23. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Finally picked up Legacy #3 and KotOR #8 today. Very cool. More old skool Mandalorian action. w00t.

Legacy, however...is kinda dragging.
  24. Darklord49 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Legacy draggin? No way, if anything KOTOR is dragging. Although I seriouslly enjoy Kotor, it's no where the quality of what I thought it should be.

But Legacy on the other hand, I think it's fresh, new and exciting. You don't know what to expect, and the "usual" complaints are so weak. aka..... A female Darth Maul....rip off Who cares, you're going to disregard an entire comic series, because the creators wanted to give homage to Darth Maul, through one of the characters?

I think giving homage to Darth Maul, is very, very, very Sith like. The Sith unlike the Jedi, have great pride in their past ancestors, and do indeed remember their past brothers and sisters of faith. So with this series taking place like 150 years since Darth Maul, why wouldn't the Sith give homage to the first Sith Lord to Slaughter a Jedi in like a Thousand years?

You know what I think would be awesome, having Anikan's spirit talk to Cade as well. We as the readers would get to see any regrets Anikan has, we would get to learn from his mistakes. And that is an area of unexplored territory. That is why I like Legacy so much, it unlike any other Star Wars EU, provides so much room to explore.

Austin-
    TK-1649
  25. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    Legacy 3 was great, IMO. They have a mission. A direction.
    And Cade has a "bad habit". I DIG that. ;)
    GREAT ghost conversation, too. Total surprise for me. (But, old rep robes on a new rep Jedi...? *shrug* ok.)
    And I like Roan. Hoped I would, and I do. :)

GL Corps is pretty cool. Lots of characters and history that I dont know, but I refuse to say that its "too much for me". :p
    Its a frickin COMIC BOOK! LOL Hopefully they'll dial down the art a little someday. It seems pretty.. random. Sometimes hard to follow what the rings are doing. (Maybe because they can do EVERYTHING!! :p )

The new Flash series totally rocks.
    Totally.
    Again, backstory coming out the wazoo, but they tell you what you need to know and have found a great jumping off point for some new story lines.
    I really like "The Griffin". Classic stuff there. Like Clark and Lex on Smallville.

GI JOE is still good as always, and many thanks to DH for helping me find #2 & the Scarlett one-shot. That chick is cawayyzzyy!!!
    Read the "Tokyo" one-shot and enjoyed it. Not a lot, but enough.

I finally read Wolverine 'Origin' cover to cover and....
    WOW. Thats a damn good book, bub. [face_plain]
    (ps: OUUUCH!!!!!)

I also read "Ultimate SpiderMan" trade #1 (issues 1-7) and it frickin RULES!!! Same story, new twists, ..... ponytail Ben, ..... uber cool. :D
    "prrkkkrrrrr" [face_devil]

And muchas gracias to senior Gray for catching me up on the JLA (holy crap!) and suggesting UltSpidey.
    Brutha, I'd read a mattress tag if you told me it was worth it.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby