main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Fontana

Fontana Jedi Padawan

Mar 23, 2011
    Ok, so I have aquired some comic books from my neighbor. I bought a big box for $40 and it had some old western comics, a huge stack of Iron Man and a mix of spiderman and batman. I gave the Lone Ranger and Gene Autry ones to my Dad but I don't know what to do with the Cheyenne Kid, Billy the Kid, Gunsmoke,etc. They are mostly in great condition and all in plastic covers.

Is there somewhere where I can sell these locally? I really don't want to mess with e-bay or comic websites and mailing them.

I have some Spiderman ones that sold for 15 cents originally. And old Batman, Daredevil, Iron Man, Superman, and Avengers too.

Oh, and this really strange one called "Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham"

I also have a stack (about 50 or so) of newer Iron Man comics that my girls don't want anymore that I would be happy to give to anyone to get them out of my closet.

(Graco - I know where you work so I could drop them off with you easily if you want them.)

I was hoping for some old Richie Rich or Star Wars which were my favorite as a kid but alas he had none...

2. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    *If* you sell them to a store, you'll get about 10-15% of what they'll sell them for. Which, depending on condition and what exactly you have, is probably about what you'd get for them on eBay, but a couple of quick searches would tell you. The Spider-Man ones that have a 15.cent cover price might be silver-age books, and if they're in very good shape they could be worth a little. If the others you listed also have the 15-cent cover price, they could be worth a bit, too, particularly the Batman and Superman. It's been a long time since I've bought and sold older books (and none that old) so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in. The Peter Porker book, BTW, is an in-joke.

For giggles, here's what Mile High Comics is paying: http://www.milehighcomics.com/buying/mv-a-buying.html Then you can search their main site and see what they sell them for, which is usually pretty high. Then check eBay for what people actually pay so you don't get ripped off.

In looking at this for myself, I've discovered that my GI Joe books are worth way more than I thought....

3. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    ok, so idk if this has been discussed or not, but superman fans should go read SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE. its frakking amazing

4. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    ok, my Earth One script is done. if anyone would like to read it pm me your email.

5. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    This should explain some things about me:
    http://www.sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=1987

6. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
  7. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    I think they're jumping up and down shouting "Look at me! Look at me!" Plus, their continuity is all screwed up, right? Is this just a big reset button/up yours to their fans?

I couldn't imagine Marvel doing something like this. All they'd do is claim that the real Peter Parker was just a clone for 20 years...sigh.

8. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Oh gods, Brian Azzarello writing Wonder Woman. I think I'm going to loose my lunch. [face_sick]

This is badbadbadbad. Crisis on Infinite Earths was done 25 years ago to fix all this crap, and they just keep screwing themselves up over and over again, and now this?! :rolleyes:

Oh, wait, the only DC books I read now are Vertigo, so what do I care? [face_peace]

9. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    So anybody currently reading some good comics?
    I'm liking most of the titles that Valiant Comics is putting out.

10. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I'm so far behind in my comics reading....

11. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    New Dark Horse title!

Just in from Dark Horse - It’s no April Fools’ prank! Dark Horse is honored to announce a dream project: working with J.W. Rinzler, executive editor at LucasBooks, and artist Mike Mayhew (Avengers) to adapt the rough-draft original screenplay which spawned the biggest franchise in film history!

Three years before his 1977 film, George Lucas put down on paper his first story set in a galaxy far, far away—a tale of fantastic adventures, daring escapes, “lazer swords,” romance, and monsters. A story of Jedi Annikin Starkiller and General Luke Skywalker, an alien named Han Solo, and evil Sith Knights. The screenplay was titled The Star Wars!

“I’m not sure where I first read about The Star Wars—it was years and years ago—but the idea of Luke Skywalker being an older Jedi General, and Han Solo being a six-foot-tall lizard, turned my Star Wars fan brain on its side,” said longtime Star Wars editor Randy Stradley. “I always assumed this would be one of
    those stories that would be ‘lost to history,’ so getting to work on bringing it to life is kinda like a dream come true.”

“While researching in the Lucasfilm Archives I’ve found many treasures—but one which truly astounded me was George’s rough draft for The Star Wars. His first complete imaginings were hallucinating to read—mind blowing,” said writer J.W. Rinzler. “While working with George on another book project, I once asked if we could adapt his rough draft. He was hesitant. Years later, with Dark Horse’s invaluable help, we showed him a few drawn and colored pages of what it might look like. He gave us the okay."

Originally conceived in 1974, The Star Wars has been the subject of rumor and legend in the fan community throughout the history of the galaxy far, far away. Now, Lucas has seen fit to grant Dark Horse the right to
    apt this fabled story into an eight-issue comic series launching in September!
    Uh...I'm guessing it's an April Fools Day joke. They don't announce comics titles this way. Here's "artwork" from it, too.

[​IMG]
    ad

12. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Yesh. That's not even decent Bantha poodoo. You go back far enough and Luke was a girl. And no "Journal of the Whills" mentioned? I call poodoo.

Smartphones are neato.

13. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Huh. The writing was on the wall when Disney acquired Lucasfilm. Hope Marvel does the universe right...and brings back Jaxxon the green rabbit!
    [​IMG]

http://starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-...lish-star-wars-comics-and-graphic-novels.html

DISNEY'S LUCASFILM AND MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT JOIN FORCES TO PUBLISH STAR WARS COMICS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS
    January 03, 2014
    Jedi, Sith, and the Rest of the Star Wars Universe Come to Marvel Comics in 2015

The Walt Disney Company's Lucasfilm Ltd. and Marvel Entertainment are joining forces to bring new Star Wars adventures to readers across the galaxy, with Marvel granted exclusive rights to create and publish Star Wars comics and graphic novels beginning in 2015.

The agreement marks a homecoming for the Star Wars comic books. Marvel Comics published the first Star Wars comic book, Star Wars #1, in March 1977, which went on to sell more than 1 million copies. Marvel Comics published its Star Wars series for nine years. In 1991, Dark Horse Comics took over the license, publishing fan favorite titles like Dark Empire and Star Wars: Legacy. Last year, Dark Horse released The Star Wars #1, an adaptation of George Lucas' original rough-draft screenplay for the film, garnering rave reviews and national media attention and ranking among the top-selling Star Wars comics of all time.

"Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had," said Carol Roeder, director of Lucasfilm franchise publishing, Disney Publishing Worldwide. "In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe."

"We here at Marvel could not be more excited to continue the publication of Star Wars comic books and graphic novels," said Marvel worldwide publisher and president, Dan Buckley. "The perennial brand of Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history and we are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away."

"We're incredibly excited by this next chapter in the Star Wars saga," said Andrew B. Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide. "Bringing together the iconic Lucasfilm and Marvel brands to tell new stories will allow us to continue to thrill lovers of the original Star Wars comic books and entertain generations to come."

Katsu_MaRoy likes this.
  14. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008