main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I normally don't do comics, but I picked up Joss Whedon's Serenity: Those Left Behind a couple of days ago and so far, I'm really impressed. One of the reasons I haven't gotten into comics is that the art styles generally don't impress me, but I like what they've done in this one. The story thus far is good, and the dialogue is spot-on. (No surprise, really, given that Joss wrote it.) Add to this the fact that this will fill in stuff from between the series and the movie, and I'm pretty happy.

2. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    You should give Legacy a try Taeriel.

I believe that most of the written story is told thru comic's illustration and Legacy does a great job. Jan is brilliant and I'm loving those Adam Huges covers! I think this is the jumping point for the story. Issues 1 and 2 layed out the characters and how they all relate or respond to each other. It moved rather quickly in that we see Cade witness the unimaginable in his father's death at the age of 13 or 14 and then we jump to him at Luke's age roughly. So there is plenty of back story that I hope they go into. There seems to be room. Issue 3 finally gives us a little substance into Cade's personality or lack there of. He's as powerful as his bloodline dictates but wants no part of it or what it has to offer... yet. I like the whole Aragorn parallel. "I don't want this responsibility" ideal works great for me. He's pitiful and has an addiction and hates his job and he's emotional like a Skywalker. I'm pretty sure he will find his way to the light with a helping hand.
    Which brings up Luke, how cool that he appears to Cade to implore him to reach inside and take control of his rage and renew his Jedi education. This book is heavy on graphic story telling so look those panels over carefully or you miss out some. So I really like this book and will continue to pick it up. That's too bad that you aren't digging the book Zoom but I know that there are books that I can't get into either even when they are gettting great reviews.

[face_laugh] Thanks Buddeh. If I read any good matress tags, you'll be the first to know. Yeah, Ultimate Spidey never has grown tired to me and I just picked up #100. I bet all comic companies wish they could re-tell lots of there characters history and fix the mistakes. Marvel hit the JACKPOT when they decided to redo his history and they got two industry greats with Bendis and Bagely, who haven't diminished with writing and pencils the whole run.

... looking forward to The Dark Times. Out this month!

3. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    LEGACY

i liked the gun to the head. lots of turmoil in that character. i also like how he looks at being a skywalker as kind of a waste of life. i wonder if he will marry and have a child before the comics are done???

cant wait to see his crew find out he's a jedi-skywalker

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I think this is the comic that SC was telling me about a few weeks ago. It does sound interesting. The next time I'm near a comic shop I'll see if I can't take a peak.

5. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Oh crap. I forgot about the new Legacy ish. Have to stop omw home and hope they still have this month's. :eek:

6. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Dark Times has come out & I've been told the art work is really good. Jeff I think read it last night.

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, G, with ish #4 of Legacy it perked up a lot. Thank Heavens the problem was just that they were trying to build a story. I gave up reading comics for the story the first time Cable went back in time to save Scott and Jean. :D

8. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I don't blame you about Cable, like everything else they take a tiny cool element, which should have stayed tiny, got blown so far out of proportion that it utterly ruined the character.
    There's so much crap out there like that and I stopped collecting as many titles for the same reason. I'm pickier now but still love comics.

I hope to get my bundle this weekend but for sure next week and then I can blather about it. [face_mischief]

9. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    How can you call yourself a geek if you don't pick up your comics every week??? I've been yelling at my comic shop for my items not coming in when they are suppose to. Not that they have much control over it, but I don't know how the 'previews' magazine works, etc.

Jeff just got his Leia & R2 statue, it's real nice but she is cross eyed.

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Cross eyed??? In the pic it looks like she's looking to her right. Can you post a pic?

11. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005

HEY! I orderd one of those but I don't get mine for some time yet. SUCKAGE!!!!! [face_frustrated]

There's no way I could go every week SC, that doesn't make me any less a geek cuz I still got a pile on my night stand I'm wittling down. :p

12. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I'll wait until Cory gets his and see if he's happy or not before I order one.

13. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Ours was 6,166 or 8,500 or so, you may not want to wait too long?

14. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    Here it is in the Star Wars shop.

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I've posted that link a million times. [face_laugh]

I want to see pics of the real thing, since Jeff's is all jackeyed.

16. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    i think i will keep her. she might be jackeyed but its still a cool statue. the way i have it set you cant really tell.

kim just brought home civl war 5 and the halo novel we ordered. i was just about to rip into the book when i read an exerpt from another book. turns out the one i have comes after a three book series. looks like im off to B&N

17. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/darthhair/album/576460762340665460

Jeff also posted his yahoo photo album in the smuggler thread, since we were talking about it there too.

Civil War 5 came out, I'm going to read that comic this weekend for sure. I also completed a few of my Lady Death comics, so I need to read those.

18. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Jeff's X-mas gift arrived just in time, think I ordered that in June. Yesterday went to the comic store to get our loot & shipments are held off for holiday's, I didn't know that. But our Darth Maul bust was there & he said he had it from last time :(

But today my Godzilla slippers, Jeff's Saw bobblehead & a ton a Lady Death comics are coming in. Hope I have enough money :D

19. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I cringe at the prospect of what I will spend, the next time I go to the comic shop. I'm like 7 weeks behind in my issues. [face_worried]

20. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Holly Molly, what comics do you read & would you suggest any TP to Jeff or me? There seems to be a ton coming out.

21. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Yeah, that's the new trend SC. Both major companies have put a lot of printing time into TPB because they only issue so many per month of actual issues and if ya miss out, that's it. For people who don't care about 1st print issues and just want to read stories, TPB are perfect. Just ask AHPR.

Right off. I suggest Ultimate Spider-man. Well written and excellently drawn. Ultimate X-men is good too.

Alan Moore's The Watchmen is like 20 years old but it is awesome and still is in reprint.

JLA- Tower of Babel is great. I could let ya borrow that one.

22. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    i have ultimane spiderman on order.

i just read the walking dead tpb #1. not sure if its the one bfett88 sugested or not but it is a great comic. way better than avatar comics lame zombie books.

also read civel war 6. its really good too

kotor keeps getting better and its funny as hell

23. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Arrrrrrrrrgghh! need to get to comic shop! [face_frustrated]

24. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

I just went for the first time in like 6 months yesterday. Thankfully Mile High comics still had all of mine in my account in their file cabinet. I didn't miss an issue!

So I have quite a few issues of KOTOR, Legacy, and Rebellion to catch up with. Also I see that Civil War is up to issue 10. Sweet.

I would like to add to gra_co's TPB recommendations: Any collection of The Sandman, Preacher (an excellent Vertigo title from the late 90s) and Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (first is classic, second was very good and philosophical, too). Sin City and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller are essential reads. Bar none.

Boy, am I dating myself in comics or what?

25. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    Yea darth_hair that is the one that I was recomending to you. I need to get the volume 2 trade paperback. Also I am in the middle of the Marvel Zombies series, it kicks butt. There is another marvel zombies coming out and Ash from Evil Dead will be in it to fight the Marvel Zombies. Is Legacy 7 out yet? What is this Civil War series I see you talking about? Is it any good?