main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Zombies? Evil Dead... I might need to get in on this.

This... is my BOOMSTICK! :D

2. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005

Heck JT, I still have the original issue releases for Marvel Secret Wars. It was 12 issues long and it was the biggest thing that year to read in the comics world. How's that for dating yourself in comics!? :eek:

I concur with all your suggestions, especially The Dark Kight Returns.

3. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I started buying the new Justice Society of America. I guess its a revival or re-do or something but... its frickin weird. SUPER old school. Names like Mr.Terrific, and Amazing man (or woman... cant remember). Almost like bizarro Justice league but, they know the justice league. They talk early on in #1 about how they all made it through WWIII together.
    :confused: huh?
    Really curious to see how this one goes.

JT, the Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars sounds cool. I'll definitely check that one out.

I did finally give up on Green Lantern Corps. Too many lanterns, too many rings. Just didnt grab my attention.

Superman confidential and Batman confidential both seem cool so far. The first Superman one was weird. He didnt know about kryptonite. Interesting twists. Seems kinda like a DC version of the "ultimate" stuff from Marvel. Great idea though. Obviously proven characters but the story can only go so far. It works for me that they start over and re-tell it in a new way.
    (segway)

Ultimate Spiderman rules.
    It kinda sucks that I have to buy like .... 17 trades to catch up to #100 and start reading the ones that I'm buying now, but I think it'll be worth the wait.
    How many of those trades do you have gra-co?

4. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Trades? Are you kidding Man! I have every single issue since it came out. :D That's cuz I'm everybody's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Fan! ;)

AHPR, you wouldn't believe how many Spider-Man comics I have. I collected all titles but the biggest is "Amazing", I started with issue #200 where he confronts his Uncle's murderer for the last time(and it wasn't SandMan! [face_frustrated]) all the way up to, I think he's on issue #535 now. I even managed to get a copy of Amaizing #12. It's old but still cool to have a Steve Ditko version of Spidey.

Just keep getting those TPB! You'll catch up.

5. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Hmm...I should probably make it to the comic shop sometime soon...

6. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I know what ya mean Zoom! I talked to my Dealer yesterday to make sure he's holding all my SW issues for me. I can't wait to catch up on Legacy.

7. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

You got me beat by a bit, gra-co. I started with Amazing #249 and didn't know what the heck was going on, but with Hobgoblin, the Kingpin and Spider-man fallen on the cover, I knew I'd be in for a good ride. I collected from that point forward (and backward all the way to #50 with trades/Marvel Masterwork before that) up to the whole Clone Spidey saga. That was a bad time for Spider-man fans. :_|

I think the most touching issue of Amazing that I ever read was #248 where he visited the kid in the hospital. My heart strings sing just thinking about it.

Ultimate is really good and engaging. Gotta love PP back in high school. Maybe I should pick up some more trades. I made it up to trade #7. Am I behind or what?

ahpr, I can bring the trade of Super Heroes Secret Wars vol. 1 to the meeting on the 18th, if you want to check it out. Let me know. It's great stuff. I believe it was one of the first whole-universe-crossover titles. Ah, Jim Shooter in his prime.

8. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Finally picked up KotOR, Legacy, and Dark Times yesterday. Dark Times is a little blah, but I'm giving it a chance since KotOR and Legacy have managed to pull me in finally.

And one Ghost in the Shell...which, sadly, I wasn't too impressed with.

9. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    That's the spirit Zoom, give it a chance.
    Actually, I'm going tomorrow to finally pick up my issues and I have to boast how cool it is to have a friend who manages a Mile High Comics store cuz all I gotta do is call him up and he goes by their warehouse and picks up for me what I don't have or missed. Very handy.

I'll get back to you on Dark Times when I read it Zoom.

Looking forward to catching up on Legacy and Civil War!

10. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I've collected Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man for years, and am enjoying the current Civil War storylines going on in those books. I can't bring myself to pick up the actual Civil War comics, though. Seems like a hassel when I know they'll all be available in a single collection in a few months.

11. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Holy freak! I came home with a stack from the book store...

Amazing Spider-Man
    Ultimate Spider-man
    The New Avengers
    Civil War
    KOTOR
    Rebellion
    Legacy
    Dark Times
    Batman
    Teen Titans

Man! too much to read but I dove right into Dark Horse.

WOW! Legacy has my praise and I love the Luke in Jedi robes on the cover of #7. 7 ends the first story arc for our budding Skywalker descendant. It is an interesting tapestry of different ideals from the SW universe.
    DH should do a costume based on Darth Nihl. I can see that.

I know your iffy on Dark Times Zoom but I see the potential for the book to be good. Vader has a big draw for me and it could be good but I think he needs to maintain a presence to keep the idea of the Dark Times for the title to be justified. We'll see. I'm in for the long haul.

Civil War! Holy Freak! What an awesome story! You guys should really pick this up once it gets to TPB. Seriously! you don't need every tie in to enjoy the chaos ensuing in the Marvel universe with this story. Totally Awesome!

That's all I have had time to read so far but I will catch up on KOTOR...

12. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Yeah, I was really hoping that Luke would actually be in the comic, considering he's the only thing on the cover. WTH?

13. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Classic rule of comics Zoom...

"Never judge a Comic Book by it's cover" [face_laugh]

I think now he symbolizes the acceptance by Cade of the Skywalker Bloodline.

14. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Finally caught up with KOTOR. WOW! This story is in full gear now.

I am really liking Zayne Carrick and I feel ultimately sorry for him considering he's in a rock and a hard place. Even though his former masters believe that he will be a Sith Lord, they have no actual proof! I realize Jedi Seers can see the future more clearly but as Yoda said, always emotion can cloud what is certain.
    The way Lucien and the other Jedi masters are carrying on with their recklessness, I'd say they are the ones who will become the Sith Lords they are so afriad of. Zayne is innocent and though he is on the run, at least he is still exercising his devotion to the Jedi way.

Master Lucien is trouble! from hiring bounty hunters to openly defying the Jedi Council, he has a just reward coming to him and I hope Zayne gives him what for!

I love the addition of the Moomo Bros. Dob and Del. They are histerical. Definitely the comic relief. kinda like Dumb and Dumber.

You really have to be patient with comics for them to get the ball rolling with the meat of the story. I will continue to pick this title up. :cool:

15. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I've been reading the KOTOR comics, too. They're definitely well written and I'm really enjoying them! Zayne's a great character (as are all the characters in the book).

16. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

KOTOR is great. It's pretty rare that you find a SW comic with humor in it! Tag and Bink aside (since they're non-continuity), what other SW comic has had humor in it? I can't think of any now.

The interplay between Zayne and Gryph in the past couple of issues has been classic. Zayne plays an excellent straight guy. And the hammerhead brothers was great slapstick humor! I loved seeing how the one brother was drinking out of his mug with the side of his "mouth." Great stuff and very funny.

I'm liking Dark Times. It has a good pacing and I like the internal monologue from Vader. Seeing what he's going through emotionally before he has fully formed his evilness makes me feel like there is a continuity between who he was in the prequels to ROTJ. There most certainly is a conflict in him!

17. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005

I totally laughed at that too JT! I hope Dob and Del become regulars.

What did you think about the artwork JT? I spent much time scanning the panels over all that detail. Great landscapes on the banking planet. That person really knows their skill. Excellent!

We'll have to give Dark Times a little rope to see how it fairs or gets hung out to dry. I have faith.

18. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I need to read the SW series Jeff has, I've been reading Lady Death (just found a source to get some back issues) and Walking Dead, OMG. I'm loving that comic so much.

19. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    anyone read the last legacy?

i was a little disapointed with it. art was crap and it was a recap of everything i know already, just more details i didnt need to know

20. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    I am halfway through Civil War Number 3, I must say this comic is really cool. Also Legacy 8 I started to read it and then I got bored.

Hopefully it starts to pick up again.

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I still need to get this month's Legacy and KotOR -- somehow between work and being sick, tomorrow's the last day of the month and I don't remember what I did in February.

22. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I go to the comic book shop today! Hooooooooooooooooor-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Civil War #7, here I come!

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Hm. Must stop at shop today. Hopefully she's saved all my comics from last month.

24. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I was cut off at the pass and won't make it to the book store tonight. Darnit!

25. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    the new kotor was good as usual.
    civil war, what happened? i feel like since i didnt buy all of the off shoot books i was left with a bad ending. i told the dude at the shop and he said everyone feels that way. i kind of want my money back.

im still waiting for the GI Joe trades.