main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    This month's shipment never came in. :eek: The little old lady that runs the shop said that the distributor was running slower than usual, and that everything that should've come in weeks ago won't be in until tomorrow. [face_plain]

2. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Haven't been to the comic store in 2 weeks, I'm afraid at this point because I don't want a $150 bill. Also thinking about clearing out my box & moving my orders, maybe I will do this in 2 steps.

One to move my comics & the other to move my statue orders or by the ones on order there & start ordering new ones from the new place? Not sure yet.

There is a new office opening up downstairs & the glass doors have been boarded up. But the other day they are now just covered from the inside with a sign that I read as "Comic Store". I double checked it....

.... it says......

"COMING SOON" How did I get Comic Store out of that?????

3. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Cuz Kimmy, that's what YOU wanted it to say! [face_mischief]

Comic Store [face_hypnotized]

Comic Store =P~

4. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I have totally got back into Amazing Spider-Girl.

"The one, true daughter of The Amazing Spider-Man"

it always begins that way in every issue.

I dropped it a while back and Marvel has tried to cancel it several times and it has managed to always pull out of that cuz of Fan demand to keep it going.
    Marvel finally canceled the series a few months back and now it's back again by popular demand!

I'm a sucker for anything Spider-Man!

It sorta harkens back to the first days when Peter was still in high school and all the drama of adolesence and adventure really made him the hero to read.
    May is a lot like that.

52 is Hot! Pick the trade when it comes out!

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I think I still have the first issues of Spider Girl in storage. I loved it! It was great stuff. I had to stop reading it due to a cut-back in spending money, but I really did like it. Very well told, great art, lots of fun! :) I'll have to go dig and see if they're still there - I may have sold a few of them. Is that the only book from Marvel 2 that's survived? I remember they were trying to bring out a whole bunch of "second generation" books when it started.

How far along is 52 now? I AM interested in the trade... :)

6. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Well Kre, 52 is almost finished. It has 2 issues left and then countdown begins the other way from 52 to 0. Don't worry about that yet though! LOL!

Understand that 52 is a series that ran for one year with a new issue every week, hence the title 52.

The premise is that in the aftermath of Identity Crisis(also available in Trade Paperback), which wiped away all the big players in the DCU.
    I say wiped but they are gone from the public eye for various reasons because of Identity Crisis.
    So Supes, the Bat, Wonder Woman and most of the Justice League heavy hitters are disbanded.

So who saves the DCU now?

A lot of second stringers in the DCU come out of the woodwork to pick up the responsiblities while the big guns are licking their wounds.
    Heroes like The Question, Booster Gold, Nightwing, Robin, a NEW Batwoman, The Marvels and many others are center stage in trying to keep the peace and the villiany at the heart of the story, why none other than Lex Luthor and his plan to take advantage of this timeframe without Supes.
    It is written by 7 different writers in DC's line-up and they are all good. It is quite an amalgam of ideas and characters. I have thoughly enjoyed it the entire read. It has been different and refreshing cuz you really don't know what to expect as opposed to a character title with prehand knowledge.

not sure when the trade will pop up but ask your dealer for info. :D

The art in Spider-Girl is really good now that Ron Frenz picked back up with a Spider title. Her arch enemy is a New Hobgoblin and I was huge into him back in the 80's when Ron Frenz started on Amazing SM way back in #238. Ron was also the artist when the original Black Costume storyline hit ASM right after Secret Wars.
    It's like having an old friend back.

7. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    An interesting change in the DCU

Renee Montoya:
    [image=http://www.batman-superman.com/batman/img/grabs/Montoya5.jpg]

who you may remember from Batman:The Animated Series. She was an officer for GCPD.

...is the NEW Question!

...out of the pages of 52!

The original dies of cancer and Renee picks up the mantle, er, puts on the face after realizing that she loves being a detective more than anything. Interesting choice and I'm curious to see where they take her but not enough to pick up yet another title. [face_tired]

8. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Im way behind on reading them all, but I emptied my hold slot and the comic store today :D. I had to cancel one I had across town so I'm missing a few GI Joes that I never picked up, and some Ult-Spideys. I'll grab those next time.

Dont be surprised if my phone gets shut off because Verizon isnt getting their money, but it sure was nice to get all those books today. :D

9. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Actually, given the choice, I'd take comics over a cell phone anyday.

Anyone get a chance to read DC's World War III?

During events in 52, Black Adam (Capt. Marvel villian) goes wild on a vengence spree around the world to the countries that have attacked his, only he has the raw power to carry out their destruction with his bare hands. He levels cities and kills millions. DC's finest that are still around after the big leaguers took a break, are left the task of dealing with him and they don't fair too well in their attempts. Fatal in some cases.

I was surprised to see such a graphic series from DC. still cool though.

10. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    Sounds pretty grim. Kinda like Marvel's Civil War storyline. Wonder who had the idea first? Maybe this is just the year of shaking things up and killing off some heroes & villains?

Just picked up the past 2 months of SW comics. Let's hope it's good reading. I most look forward to KOTOR for its humor.

11. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Yeah JT, there are some rather bloody moments.
    I think Civil War is different from WWIII in that the world's heroes band together to stop one threat...Black Adam. At least everyone in the DC universe is working together. LOL!

Civil War continues to be a divider amongst Super Heroes over in Marvel. All Character books are dealing with the aftermath.

Spidey most of all. IMO

Pete's back in his sewn Black costume and he is out for blood cuz The Kingpin has had him tailed and it leads to the motel where MJ and Aunt May are holed up. A sniper takes a shot at MJ as Pete bursts through the door to tackle her just in time only to have the bullet strike May instead. He then proceeds to swing across town to emergency as May lies bleeding in his arms. He breaks a window high up in the building and puts her on a gurney and wheels her somewhere to get assistance and then he bails realizing that May can't risk Pete giving her away that she's Spider-Man's Aunt.
    It's been real good writing over in ASM lately.
    Once May is in good hands, Pete is raging pissed and he swings across town to a location where he webbed something up under a ledge, that something is the Black Costume that he wore sometime back.
    He puts away his classic red and blue and puts on the blackness again and as he does, he says, "I am going to find whoever did this, and when I do, I am going to kill them!"
    I know he is striken with guilt cuz May is dying according to her doctor and I have seen him this upset before but this time looks like he means it. Fairly exciting.

Go Spidey!

I heard that Dark Times #3 is finally out. about time.

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Bought "Hush" 1 and 2, and "The Long Halloween" (graphic novels) the other night. Also picked up the first book of "Ceres: Celestial Legend" (manga). :)

13. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

Picked up Legacy 10 & 11, KOTOR 15 & 16, and Dark Times #3. Should make for about 1 1/2 hours of good reading.

14. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Let me know what you think about the latest surprise in Legacy, JT. I sure was surprised and a little puzzled. [face_thinking]

15. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Picked up "52: Volume 1" the other day. Covered the first 13 weeks. Good read. I really like Renee - I LOVED her reaction to seeing Kate Kane's new... um... "appearance." :D Had me laughing pretty good. I think I could really learn to like Kate, too - so far, so good. I would like to kill Booster, though - can he be anymore annoying?

EDIT: Not sure why I didn't mention this before, but it's really good to see Steel get some good art and storyline time, too. He's such a great character.

16. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    I'm glad to hear you like "52" Kre. Nobody else I know is reading it. I enjoyed Renee's story too and her love for Charlie and Kate.
    I finally finished "52" and am now stuck right into "Countdown" which goes from 52 to 0 and leads you into the current DC continuity. So the year long story will come full circle and it will no longer be a mystery.

It is making the new JLA make more sense as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman meet at the Batcave to discuss putting the League back together after a year of disbandment and they begin to talk over who they will ask into the New JLA. I like it so far.

I think I ended up buying like 25 mags tonite!

just got done reading Legacy #11 and WOW! I'm really liking where this is going now even if it is something that was predictable. Cade's funny, when he uses "Deathsticks", he sees Force Ghosts and he has a bad trip in issue 11!
    Cool thing though, I get to go read 12 and 13 now!

C-ya!

17. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    OK, read Legacy 12 & 13!

R2 is back!!!!!

I loved finding out where he has been for 100 years! It seemed appropriate. I didn't read about the Vong in the novels but they are around in this era and in a surprising fashion.

Cade's character is really heating up and he has no choice but to embrace his heritage at this point. IMO

Emperor Fel shows he has some teeth in issue 13!

I'm hooked on this book!

Picked up World War Hulk!
    This is Marvel's summer cross over to all it's books but I'm only collecting the main story arc. It's 5 issues of the Hulk kicking the snot out of earth's mightiest heroes. could be fun to watch.
    The first issue has him whipping the tar out of Black Bolt of the Inhumans and that ain't no easy task if you know about BB.

18. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    I DO like "52" - it's a cool take on the DC Universe, and is a much more creative way to go about bringing the storylines back together in continuity, rather than ret-conning everything, like they've done in the past. I'm trying desperately to stay away from "Countdown" for now, simply because I spend way too much money already everytime I set foot into that store (like I did the other day - not good!).

Oh. This is kinda cool - I was surfing around the other day looking for an online database site for books (similar to DVD Aficionado), and I ran across onPHILE. It's an online comicbook database. Create your account, go in and find the books you have, and keep track of your collection that way. They're fairly new, so there's a lot of gaps in their book info still, but they also let you submit information to add - including cover images, new names, corrections, etc. I like!!

EDIT: D'oh! Forgot. Their servers are down for the next 24 hours for maintenance. So, the site probably won't come up, or if it does, it might not fuction. [face_blush]

19. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    thanks for the info Chicken!

I will check it out at some point but putting in an itemized list of my books would take me forever! :(

I see you did get "Hush" afterall Kre. Cool!

Loooooooooooooove Jim Lee's work on that arc!

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Jim Lee's artwork = [face_love] [face_love]!! That guy is AMAZING!! And Alex Sinclair's colors did his artwork SO much justice! Yeah, I really enjoyed "Hush." Not just for the art, either - it's just a great story (Jeph Loeb - go figure!).

I'd love to see Jim Lee's interpretation of Wonder Woman. Heh - he probably has one out there, somewhere. I just need to look. ;)

-chicken [face_chicken] (bagawk!!)

21. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Read World War Hulk over the weekend.

Whoa! Iron Man has certainly earned the "Jerk-Face" of the year award at Marvel. After Civil War, I thought, "What an Ass"

...now he's the NEW director of S.H.I.E.L.D. with unlimited attitude. I think Tony's getting too big for his metal britches in the ego dept.

Since he blasted poor Bruce Banner off in a shuttle into space to get rid of the Hulk, it has come back to bite him in the @$$!

at the end of issue one, he has got a hulk-sized headache. [face_skull]

22. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    After 110 consecutive issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, Mark Bagley is leaving as artist on the book!

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

Excellent Artist!

You will be missed on this title.

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Finished reading Batman: Dark Victory last night. I [face_love] Jeph Loeb, and no one draws gangsters like Tim Sale.

24. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    yeah, Tim's work has really grown on me. I love what he's doing for Heores.

Kre, if you love 52, yerrrrrrrrrrrr gonna love "Countdown".

The bigger players are coming back into view. I'm liking it!

trying to hold on to "Rebellion" but it's slow and go. Vader has entered the fray though so I will keep watching. ...for a while longer.

25. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    *sigh*

I'm like, 2 or 3 months behind on my comics.