main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Swomz

Swomz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I have two 1977 Star Wars comics (in fact I believe one of them came out before the actual movie did), anybody else have any collectible ones?

2. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    just finished the 12th and final issue of "Justice"

folks 'round here are always asking for a good recommendation?

This is it!

Justice is a mini-series by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross. Many of you know of Alex Ross and his fantastic illustrations of our heores painted realistically and he never skips out on giving you everything he can pack into one panel, so you are constantly drooling over the art.

...and the story is the best Jusctice League story you could ever read, and there are a lot of them but this combinds all things that are historical about the League and with a retro twist, the line up of the League and the villians, for that matter are straight out of the "Superfriends" cartoon. Thankfully they left out Marvin and Mindy and their stupid dog! LOL!
    No, these Superfriends, are like nothing that you ever saw. Mainly cuz it is written very maturely. I love that the writers of comics today were mostly readers back then and the dimension that has been brought to comics as a result has been glorious, which is why I can't stop collecting.
    It's not a silly story by any means and I love that Ross gives his nod to that which he loved so much as well. Ya know he watched that stuff too from the way he drew this and it's all real looking. So Cool!

I'm telling you guys as a huge reader, THIS! is one ya gotta own, especially you, Kre!

don't know when the TPB will be out but it can't be too far away since the last issue came out. I will keep an eye out and post as I know.

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    OOOOOOO!! I think I have the first issue of Justice downloaded. :D I'll have to grab the comics reader program again to see. I LOVE Alex Ross!! I know, I keep saying that about the artists, but really I have SO MUCH respect for their talent. And Alex Ross' photo-realistic style is INCREDIBLE!! I've gotten sucked in to his website for hours, before.

Dammit - I was just at the comicbook store yesterday!

Oh, and Volume 2 of "52" still isn't out yet. ARGH!! want!! Andd then the latest issues of "Countdown" were mocking me. Must... not... give in... (yet)! But I did pick up Wnder Woman #10, Dark Tower #6, the "Bruce Wayne, Murdurer!?" TPB (good!!), and the "Catwoman: Dark End of the Street" TPB (which was okay - first half is eh, last half is great!). I also grabbed "What Would Wonder Woman Do? - The Amazon's Guide to the Workplace" - the title cracked me up, and I'm a sucker for Wonder Woman anyway. ::glances down at tank top:: I haven't looked through it yet, but I'll let y'all know if it's any good. :)

In the meantime, been watching my Wonder Woman DVDs (campy retro fun!), and "Birds of Prey." And have done some writing. :D

4. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    took some time this morning to catch up on Knights of the Old Republic.

This book just gets better and better. Not only do they write good characters but the diversity is helpful too.

I really like Zayne and they finally brought in a couple characters from KOTOR video game.

Karth Onasi and the Assassin droid you pick up on Tatooine join the fray in issues 15, 16, and 17!

Catch up on this book if you can! True Believers! LOL! (sorry Stan)

5. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I know I haven't collected the cards in forever, but I missed them the last time they did the Artist Sketch Cards, and I DO NOT WANT TO MISS ANOTHER SET OF THOSE!

Can you buy a whole set now, without having to buy twelve million packs to get them all? And if so...WHERE?!?!?! 8-}

6. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    heh... um, eBay? :confused:

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    So, I fell off the wagon yesterday and bought a ton of comics. They didn't have the last 3 ishes of Legacy that I need, but I picked up the new Punisher.

He's even crazier now.

And he's wearing a Punisher-ized Captain America outfit and he's killing Nazis, skinheads, and racists by the dozens. Captain America just used to smack them around and put them in jail.

I'm liking the new version. And his costume is hilarious.

Oh yeah -- Buffy Season *8* is out. I totally spaced it out. But it's already on ish 5. Need to pick up my back issues now. For anyone who doesn't know, Joss Whedon wanted to wrap things up after all Hell broke loose in Season 7, but since the networks cancelled it, he moved to a comic format. The series *is* written by Whedon.

8. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    anyone else read that x-men series by joss whedon? I finally got the third volume, haven't got around to reading it yet though.

I thought it was really well written. I've enjoyed the first two immensely. So did my mom :) (cause she's cool like that)

9. LadyoftheMandalore

LadyoftheMandalore Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    [face_hypnotized]
    Boy, am I behind the times! Looks like a trip to Coins, Cards & Comics is in the works, now that I have a veritable list of what I've missed over the last few *ahem* years. I fell off the geek wagon, now I'm climbing back on.

Have I ever told you guys how much I love you?

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I have to admit that I was never that much of a Punisher fan in the past. Gun toting maniac with a skull on his shirt -- who hasn't done that at one time or another in his life?

When Frank Castle escaped from jail, he found Cap's mask and ran off with it. He's now the embodiment of shock and awe.

[image=http://www.comixtreme.com/gallery/data/media/1165/pwj9.jpg] [image=http://www.macktropolis.com/_coreLibraries/pictureLibrary/capPunisher/punisherCap.jpg]

11. LadyoftheMandalore

Mar 28, 2007
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know much about the Star Wars comics/graphic novels that were put out just prior to the original trilogy's release?

12. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    When you say "original trilogy's release" do you mean in 77, the re-release, the re-re-release of the updated Han-didn't-shoot-first version, the re-re-re-re-release of the re-mastered original with updates but Han-did-shoot-first, or the release of the re-releases of the combined 2 trilogies?

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Did I miss any? ZOO -- help me out. I'm sure I missed a re-mastered re-release somewhere in between one re-mastered re-release and another re-re-mastered re-re-release.

14. LadyoftheMandalore

Mar 28, 2007
    The original release in 1977. I've got a copy of The Empire Strikes Back in graphic novel form with a 1983(I think) print date on it, but I can't seem to find a whole ton of information on the internet or otherwise regarding whether there was ANH or ROTJ editions of this ever produced.

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Hmmmm...I think Graco or ZOO would be the one to know. I think they've been around the longest. The only comics that I knew that existed in 1983 were all Spider-man.

16. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    1977 - Release of ANH
    1979 - X-Mas Re-Release in preparation for ESB in 1980, before the studio lost their ability to profit as heavily from the original.
    1980 - Release of ESB
    1983 - Release of RotJ
    1984 - Re-Release of all 3 films during the summer for theatres to run marathon showings across the country and seriously hook the kiddies
    1985 - VHS Release of all 3 in 6 month increments
    1989 - OT First 3 Pack release of the VHS
    1992 - OT Gift Pack VHS Release
    1994 - OT Remastered VHS Release
    1995 - OT Digitally Remastered, Limited Edition Release on VHS
    1996 - OT Digitally Remastered, Limited Edition 3 Pack Release on VHS
    1997 - OT Special Editions Theatrical Release (staggered in 3 month increments)
    1998 - OT Special Editions Released on VHS
    1998 - OT Special Edition, Limited Edition, with Special Features on VHS
    2005 - First OT Special Edition Release on DVD
    2006 - First OT Altered, but not Special Edition Release on DVD

Do I really need to keep going?

ETA: I did all of that from memory, so if I'm off a little on dates, too bad.

17. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
  18. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    [face_blush] The sad part of all of that... I have them all.

19. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Yeah, that is pretty sad. :eek: :p We have the VHS version (I think the one where Han shot second) of the OT, and TPM and AOTC on DVD. We never did bother buying ROTS. Someday we might have to.

20. Jyn

Jyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2006
    I just got Legacy 10-14 ordered from MileHi comics, I keep getting behind... well.. this is the only one I even TRY to keep up with anymore. Someday.. I'll have to try to fill in the gaps in my collection I think the only ones I have the full series of are... Dark Empire, Crimson Empire and Shadows of the Empire heheh... and I have over 200 comics probably so I've got a LOT of gaps. ~sigh~ guess I need to go to the ultimate timeline and compile a list so I can figure out what I'm missing.

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    We have Buffy season 8 as one of our non-SW comics :D I still need to read it, but DH is loving it.

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    It took a couple of weeks, and a couple special orders, but I'm finally caught up on comics.

Legacy kicks butt. Dark Times is looking neat. Still not feeling the groove with Rebellion, though. I totally dug the Vong addition to Legacy.

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    52 Volume 2 is out. This means I have to go spend more money. :( (But I will enjoy spending it, no doubt.)

24. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    my new comic shop closed. :( I had my hold slot all layed out. The guys would put stuff aside that they thought I might like. And I even got a lttle discount.
    The other day the guy called me and told me to come pick up the stuff in my slot. I told him I'd be there a.s.a.p. and when I finally made it by, they were closed and looked pretty packed up

gra-co, I think I'll set up a slot with Dave and just make the drive every couple of weeks. the good news is, I can shorten my list a little bit, since I wasn't keeping up anyway.

Anybody know if dark tower 7 is even out yet?

25. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks to a couple of you (and you know who you are), I'm reading comics again. :rolleyes:

Batman and Wonder Woman, and possibly some Justice League stuff before it's all over. Just what I needed, another obsession.