main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto The Coming Pit Bull Ban: Agree? Disagree?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SueAsideRide, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    So what does everybody think of the Ontario government's plan to ban pit bull terriers? Should all of those dogs be punished because some owners take advantage of their breeding as fighting dogs? And shouldn't this be reserved for purebreds, instead of extending to mixes as well?

Very recently my girlfriend adopted an adult pit bull mix and wouldn't you know, he's just a big suck. He doesn't growl or bark at people or other dogs, and is pretty calm and quiet. Overall, he's better behaved than a lot of dogs I've known. However, nobody seems to want to ban any other type of dog. I could see a lot of other individual dogs that should be permanently muzzled, but not him.

I think that this is just another case of the government poking thier nose in where it doesn't belong. I had my doubts about pit bulls, but now I don't really think that it's the breed so much as the owners. Punish them and not the dogs.

2. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I don't agree with it at all. I also think it's the owners and not the dogs. People just don't think about the fact that a dog is a hunting animal that we have tamed and kept as a pet for so long, but it still has "animal instincts" that will make it attack. That's part of the nature of carnivores.

Also take into consideration that different breeds have different needs. Dalmations need a LOT of exercise (which is why I"ll never get one) and Chitzus tend to have problems with their teeth, and can't eat hard food. Personally, I've seen a lot of really mean poodles, who bite everyone who comes near them. So far I haven't seen any ban on poodles though.

3. Jedi-1

Jedi-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2004
    I agree with the Ban. While I agree that it is the owners that are responsible because it is just the dogs instinct. Unfortuanatly we can't ban the owners so we have to do the next best thing.

4. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I saw the same with poodles. dogs are what their masters make em. treat em real good and you get a good dog, treat em like a suck and you get a suck, treat em bad or to dislike or distrust people and you get a bad or mean dog

5. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I didn't even know of the ban. But I agree that in most cases, it's a reflection on the owner, not the dog.

6. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    While we're at it, lets ban dobeman's they're quite viscious and dangerous, and any other tyep of dog that's ever attacked someone, come to think of it, lets ban cars, far more people are injured by cars every year, and we can't ban drivers, so lets ban cars, or how about knives, lots of people get stabbed every year, if there were no knives of any kind, that wouldn't happen, so we should ban those too, I think my point is that people need to be responsible and it is not pit bulls that are at fault in most cases, it's irresponsible owners and everytime something happens like this, people get on their high horse and try to mess things up for responsible people, case and point, there's a 50 limit on Bayview between Cummer and Steeles, why? because someone ran out into the street and got hit by a car, this person was 17 years old, why didn't she have the good sense to use the traffic light? who knows, thepoint is that the responsible people have to suffer with lower speed limits, people need to take responsibilty for their actions and their dogs.

7. Jedi-1

Feb 21, 2004
    If you look at the stats, 80% of all dog attacks are caused by pit bulls. Pit bulls are a very difficult breed to care for and most of the people who buy them have no idea how to care for them. It just makes sense to ban it.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Let's ban men, cuz they are responsible for the vast majority of homicides.

9. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I agree with the ban based on the info I have read. Then again it can be the media trying to stir up a storm based on the lastest events. Sort of like the run away wheels. I am sure it is still happening but it not news worthy any more.

Reminds me a bit like the NRA saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

Training can be a big part of it but the breed does appear to have a violent nature to it.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

10. Jedi-1

Feb 21, 2004
    Let's ban women they drive men to commit murder! :) (Just kidding)

11. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Actually, that's not true. The vast, vast majority of all homicides across all cultures are committed by men against men.

There goes that theory :p

12. Jedi-1

Feb 21, 2004
    Sure but what are they usually fighting over.....a woman.

13. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    According to Evolutionary theory, that is actually somewhat true :) Let's ban everyone!

14. Jedi-1

Feb 21, 2004
    Agreed :)

15. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I agree with the Ban.

I have had experiences with any kind of breed you can think of. The one time that I was actually attacked by a dog...was a young pitbull running off leash who attacked my dog, and then me when I picked her up and tried to fight it off.

Nope, definately not a fan of the breed.

16. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Rather than banning a particular breed, I'd rather see people PROVE that they can take care of a dog properly before they're allowed to own one. Show that they know how to train it, can take care of it, can provide it with appropriate space for exercise etc. License and train the people for dog ownership, then deal with the dog. :)

17. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I agree with that, but it's not going to happen. Even people who are charged with animal abuse can have a pet again a year later, which is one reason why there are so many puppy mills.

Coming from someone who does technical support, I think think people should have to prove they can use a computer before they can buy one/get the internet, but what can you do?

18. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I would like to see people prove they can raise a child properly. Those that show that they are terrible parents can not have children.

Not going to happen.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

19. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    I agree with the ban... and though in most cases it might be the owners... there have been many cases where the owners were very good according to neighgors... but the dogs natural instincts took causing violent actions... One must not forget that the Pitbull was bread for violence...

I have two little girls... and I'd hate to have one of the dogs make the switch and decide that one of them are some kind of threat!... For that matter... I TOTALLY agree with dogs having to be on leashes... no matter HOW well trained...

I was personally attacked by a dog that mistook a waving action as a threat to the owner... and being unleashed, I ended up with a nasty bite on the leg... and this dog had never done anything like it before!

without the government "sticking it's nose" into our safety... we might just find ouselves in a diferent type of country...

20. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

I strongly disagree with the ban. I think the money would be better served in regulating controls on who is able to have a dog.

The humane society does indepth investigation before allowing you to adopt. that should be standard everywhere and criminal charges filed against anyone who abuses or mistreats and animal that are as stringent as those for child abuse.

I'm always sad to hear about anyone was every injured by an animal...but frankly who has ever been injured by a person? as a kid who was ever punched at recess? its something that is horrible and should be regulated but is often provoked usually by the owners or parents not necessarily the dog breed or the child's inner workings. I don't believe in "inherently bad children".

Want to know one of the most hostile dog breeds? dalmations. seriously. so don't buy into the hype about pit bulls..you're just buying into someone elses jargon.

All animals have teeth. all animals can bite. a hampster can bite. a chinchilla can bite. a golden retreiver can bite. a human can bite.

deal with it. its animal nature. Instead of blaming the dog blame the society that let the idiot get the dog in the first place who wasn't up to the responsibility that a dog is like a two year old child and needs to be brought up with dignity, discipline, love and respect just like you would a human being.

as a matter of fact i think people should be licensed to have children as well.

21. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hey all,

Wow i've been gone for a while.

As for the ban I do have to agree with it. Pitbulls are naturally violent. Even with the best owner and best treatment a pitbull can still go off and attack someone. What makes them different from any other dog is that they are dogs that are breed for violence and can potentially kill someone.

Summary violent dog, potential to kill. I'm a dog lover myself but the breed is simply to dangerous.

22. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    no breed is too dangerous, I have known serveral pit bulls that are big sucks, and several other breeds that are meanies. I had a beagle/ bull terrier mix that whined when you petted him and people swore he was saying my name in the whine. friend of mine had three sucks i mean pit bulls, and they were all nice happy dogs that we used to put rollar blades on us and leash them and they would take us all around willowdale and loved it.

I agree with elewyn on every point,

23. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey Jedi-1, I was wondering where you got that "80%" stat from, I have been looking at stats and I can't find anything that says that it's 80% of dog attacks, I was just curious where that statistic came from.

24. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    <<no breed is too dangerous, I have known serveral pit bulls that are big sucks>>

The point is... they may be sucks.. but can fly off at any moment... and though this is true of any dog... Pitbulls are FAR more likely...

[image=http://grey-starr.ca/pitbull.jpg]

and take a look at Pitbull attack photo's... I've never seen a dalmation do that kind of damage...

Do the following Google searches:

"pitbull attack" - 1850 results
    "dalmation attack" - 3 results
    "doberman attack" -cd (because there's a CD) - 211 (most being of a picture/painting)
    "shepherd attack" - 323 results (most are not actually about the Dog)...

And get this.. the German Sheperd is TRAINED to attack!... but keep in mind, not bread to attack!...

The breaders all admit that the Pitbull was bread for the "Pit"... originally for Dog on Dog... later against Rats... then Dogs again... and though many of the dogs may not become aggressive... they, more then any other, do, because of there heritage... You might argue that People are not dogs... but the pitbull starts to see people as large Pitbulls... Much as other animals see people as versions of their breed when raised by people...

I've now read many of the reports... and in most... the owners were not called bad... most I read had a few dogs... and never had a problem before... thier dog just snapped...

Even if they don't go forward with the ban... I'd still like laws increased for all dogs to be kept on leashes... unless in a fenced in area... such as a backyard or the parks designated for dogs...

I love dogs... but... I love my girls more!...

BTW... My cats go out on leashes... so I am no hypocrit...

25. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    I think the 80% stats were recently printed in the newspapers (Toronto Star) after the last attack where 2 pit bulls attacked a guy.

There were also several stories on various attacks where the pit bulls were on leases but managed to get away from their masters.

In the attack on the guy by 2 pitbulls one had a muzzle on but managed to get it off even as the owner was trying to drag the pitbull from attacking the guy.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.