main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The "complete" Bluray box sets

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Sith Saber, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    If that right was reserved by Lucas in the contract for the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. Which is unconfirmed.

Lucas has claimed many times that his movies are never finished and he would go on doing the things he wanted with them, as techology allows. So none of his films really reflect his artistic intent.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Also what Lucas wants or hopes for in an ideal world, and what legal reality is are two very different things.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The latest versions reflect his artistic intent until something else comes up.

No. Like I said, there's confirmation that it's up to one person to decide. You can argue that it's someone else other than Lucas, but again, I'm not losing any sleep pretending that's the case.

None of my claims are based on legal irrealities. They are legally possible. And it's perfectly reasonable to assume he protected himself considering his lifelong stance on it.

4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I do think that there's a certain reality that folks need to start accepting: the release of the OOT probably isn't going to happen at this juncture. We just had a big event celebrating the 40th anniversary celebration and...no announcement.

And I'm not saying it to be cruel. I prefer the SE, but I also have love for the OOT since I grew up with that as well. But it appears that Disney and Lucasfilm haven't seen any reason whatsoever to offer that option, and you have to figure it's either a legal/contractual reason or because they've done the research and have found that the demand isn't there with the general audience.

That, or in reality they just care about getting their own product out there, and don't necessarily want to spend the time and resources on remastering and releasing the other six movies.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Exactly... I mean let's say Disney does a new 4K scan/restoration of the OT. Putting aside all the various SE changes that restoration would involve color timing/grading. That could be construed as an artistic change to the film. I would be shocked if Disney paid 4 billion dollars and did not have the ability to change at least some things.

Personally I think the OOT is really cool for historical purposes... and a collectors set with all 4 major versions (IIRC that's how many there are) would be pretty cool from a historical point of view.

However, I'm kind of in the middle on what I'd want to watch... .I hate some of the SE changes, but really like others.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Alexrd Are you aware that Kathleen Kennedy revealed that there is no arrangement in place in order to keep the cuts as they are?

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Having worked on a large corporate acquisition before, I can tell you there is no way that Disney (or any other corporation well represented with counsel) would go through with the sale if Lucas tried to retain those rights.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It would not be the first time Lucas did something with a corporation that had never been done before.

9. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    I was just able to watch a regraded version of ANH..... I can not believe what a huge difference having good color grading makes. It looked SOOOOOOOO much better than the default Blu-ray. You really notice details that are lost in some scenes on the Blu-ray due to overly dark frames.

CT1138 likes this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The problem with that is that then TESB and ROTJ need new grading as well. Not to take it to the original look but a totally new look that brings out the details because of the overly dark frames.

CT1138 likes this.
  11. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I haven't had a chance to watch the regarded versions of TESB and ROTJ yet (done by the same person, so I'm guessing the quality will be similar)