Jedi The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    Hi all I've got a quick question.

I found something called 'Worsted Wool' for 8.00 per yd. Would that be ok to make a rode?
  2. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
    That should be great for a robe. Note that it will be quite warm, but it should look great.
  3. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
  4. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jyro-Kyrn, you mentioned using denim for the Robe (yes, I am still looking for fabric, lol) Since most denim is dark blue, what's the best way to get the colour out of it so you can dye it brown? should you just bleach it, or use something like Dylon Pre-dye?
  5. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
    Buy it in brown. You can get denim in so many colors, white, black, brown, blue, green, pink...

Just look for brown. Otherwise, if you are going with a really dark brown you probably can just dye it even if it is blue.

BUT DON'T! You'll never get 7-10 yards of denim dyed at once and get it all to come out an even color. You just won't. Find brown and buy brown. I know that at Hancock Fabrics they had a brown. A bit light though. I found mine on-line long ago. You may too...
  6. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Fabric.com has a cocoa denim currently available, though it's not 100% cotton, so it could get pretty hot in a costume made from it.

7. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
    I didn't know it came in so many colours! I guess I've just been looking in all the wrong places. thanks!
  8. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Another Fabric.com update -- they currently have in stock a selection of silk denim, which might be cool to use in a custom jedi costume.

Just FYI for those thinking of fabric options. :)

9. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    This is post info copied over from the Jedi costume colors and tips thread, which I redirected here. I didn't want to lose the good responses we got in that thread before the redirect, though, so here they are.
    I didn't include individual users' sig info, though, in the interest of keeping this post as tidy and easy to peruse as possible. Hope you don't mind, all. Thanks. :)

--------

partyatheckhouse -- Date Posted: 8/5 7:24pm Subject: Jedi costume colors and tips

Hey there,

I'm starting on a jedi costume, and since I'm poor, I have to make alot of it myself. My outer tunic is a white karate gi. Before I buy boots and make my belt, here's my questions: What should I use for an under tunic, and what color schemes could I use? I was thinking of grey tabbards over my gi, if I did that would it be best to get a brown or black robe? What color pants? Should I go mono-chromatic and get all white, black and grey? Or should should I mix it up? Any tips are much appreciated!

sal -- Date Posted: 8/5 7:33pm

It's not the amount of money that counts, its how you use it, you will find stuff on ebay, and you can buy vinyl at your local Joaan's for like $7 a yard.

-The boots can be extentions used from the left over vinyl.

-Hope this helps.

partyatheckhouse-- Date Posted: 8/5 8:01pm

Thanks for the tip, I might use vinyl to add to my boots, I just have to find some boots! I'm going thrift store hunting in a day or so, but I wanted to get tips for the colors first. I'm not sure if there are any "rules" you should follow with colors. I also wanted to see if there was anyone who had used a scheme similar to one I described.
    AramysStrael -- Date Posted: 8/5 9:44pm Subject:

If you are going the cheap route.... pvc boots aren't a bad way to go for Jedi boots. I, myself, had got some German Navy boots for my Jedi boots. They were relatively cheap enough - about $70. Those PVC boots should run you about $20 or less.

As far as colors...... that is up to you. Jedi pretty much wear whatever color that best suits them. And although black is typically a Sith color, I happen to like it and used it for my Jedi outfit. Black with hunter green, I thought it looked good. Black pants and outer tunic, while wearing a tan colored under-shirt, with hunter green robe, tabbard and obi. Personally, I think it would look good to use multiple colors. You said you are using a white karate gi? I would maybe use greys, dark or light and maybe one other color - green or red. But then again, that is just me.

DARTHLARS -- Date Posted: 8/6 5:04am

The under tunic is very much like a kimono except that the sleeves are narrow and longer (longer than your arm), and the triangular front flaps are cut off so you don't need too use too much fabric there. You can use buttons to hold it together.
    For a canon Jedi costume you could also buy a slightly oversized turtleneck T-shirt.

I don't want to nit-pick on those who have wear it, but in the prequel movies no Jedi wears any black. There are some very dark browns and blues in some outfits, but never pure black. For instance, Anakins tabards and Qui-Gon's boots are made in a very dark brown but they may look black on screen because of the lighting. I have not seen any male PT Jedi in other than earth tones.

DanakinSkywalker Date Posted: 8/6 7:31am

To echo what others have said, the Jedi color guide, except in rare instances, is earth tones. Varying shades of brown and tan.

I'm not a big fan of custom Jedi standing out too much with awkward colors. To me a custom character is one that could easily blend in the background of the film, for instance the arena scene in AOTC.

But that's just my opinion, it's your costume so be sure to have fun with it. Do what you like, that's what makes
  10. partyatheckhouse Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks so much for your tips! I'm almost tempted to borrow my friends black gi and go sith. I know Jedi normally use the earthy tones, I just wanted to try something alittle different. Not so much that people double-take when they see it, but enough so that I can feel special :)

Of course, people probably will double-take when they see me, seeinmg as I live in Alabama nobody down here seems to costume much. I'm worried I won't have anyplace to wear my costume!

One more question, do you guys know of any tutorials for adding vinyl to boots(Mine will probably be riding boots)? I'd love to have some like Qui-Gon's, but I've never seen anyone make his. So Obi-wan, Anakin, whoever, I'd really appreciate some links to boot modifying. Thanks again for your help!
  11. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    I learned something about the obi last spring: make it long enough that both ends wrap right around your back and return to the front. On the ends should be a short length of sturdy tape which you tie! It works.
    Boots: buy second-hand shoes (slip-ons are best) of the right colour or those short dress boots favoured in the 70s, and make spats out of plethor. Then it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to have a cobbler sew them to the shoes. If he does and there's a tongue in those shoes, remove the tongue and the laces otherwise you'll have a **** of a time getting in and out of them!
    Crinkle cotton (heavy weight) is best for the shirt AND the tunic. Line the tunic and shirt with the same fabric. It breaths, you won't die of heat exhaustion except on really hot days, it's washable and none of us have had problems with bunching. I know George used silk but, hey, HE'S got the bucks!
    The robe isn't made of denim. It's made of a heavy, coarse cotton close to burlap. It's hard to find, though.
    Also with regards to the robe I have one serious word of advice when stitching the seams. Rather than serging them, 'french' them, and then sew them to the body of the cloak. This way they won't fray and they can take a real beating. I also suggest sewing bias tape over the neck seam for much the same reason.
  12. partyatheckhouse Jedi Knight

star 1
    Has anyone tried using half chaps over short boots with their costume? I've found some really cool looking ones, they somewhat resemble Qui-Gon's boots.
  13. byrdnest Jedi Knight

star 1
    when i did preliminary searching for one of my jedi costumes i found this great fake suede. when i went back to the store, i was so excited that i grabbed the real suede. after she cut it i took it to pay and was i surprised. my jedi robe costs me around $90. but i have to say, it was worth it.
  14. haruwindsong Jedi Knight

star 2
    Something you should definitely keep in mind when selecting fabric for a costume. If you're planning to wear it more than once or twice, and especially if you're going to be wearing it where there's food and drink, you must select fabrics that can be thrown in the washer. Dry cleaning is extremely expensive, particularly with suedes and really delicate fabrics. And the fabric should be durable, i.e. it won't fray at the seams with a lot of wear. A friend of mine who's been a Master Costumer on the WorldCon circuit since I met her in 1981 used suede for the Rebel issue boots from EMPIRE. To her chagrin, they wore out really fast. This meant she and her then boyfriend had gone through one set already (each --- she was wearing Leia's Hoth garb) and were into their second.

Additionally, it should not only fall properly but be comfortable. You want to avoid sweating to death. Most conventions are HOT, air conditioning not withstanding. So even though that fabric purchase may look like a great buy on the surface (initial cost aside), it may not be in the long run.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I've done a lot of mega costume projects for competition, as well as a number of Hall/Street costumes.
  15. partyatheckhouse Jedi Knight

star 1
    Does anyone here know how to make the"wrap and tie" obi? I need to know how to make the pattern on my computer something I can actually cut by.
  16. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hai....I should really get myself whack on the head for not trying out Simplicity 5840 using Mock-Up fabric first.

What happened was that I got to attend Singapore's National Day Parade again last Mon and wanting to fulfil my pledge back in 2001 to wear a Singapore Jedi Costume if I get to attend it again (but still can't do Mandarin Collar as the original design was based on the Dark Lady Outfit but in Red & White with some modifications), I started making a set of Prequel Jedi Garb in Red (Obi & Tabbards, plus Long sleeves Turtleneck) and White (Gi). When I finished doing the Gi on Sun night (which was just 1 size bigger than the envalope recommanded but had a seam of 1" instead of 5/8"), the shoulder was double the length of my own shoulder! :oops: The front was great as I'm busty but the shoulder made me looked like an idiot. Sheesh! Should had noticed that the shoulder length on the model's Gi wasn't the length of his shoulder either and made the correct modification or at least do a mock-up first to get my size pattern as I'll be doing another proper Prequel Jedi Suit for next year. As it was too late to redo the shoulder, ended up not wearing it last Mon. :_|

Will have to use another pattern to shorten the shoulder length and readjust the armholes. Will also need to make another sleeves as wasn't happy with the one I got currently as it's too straight cut.
  17. Jedi_Kai Jedi Master

star 4
  18. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
  19. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I'm bumping this up/posting here to ask for expert advice ;) Obviously, I'm not someone who's been to costuming and props before. And really, I'm not someone who has done this before, but I'd like to make a Jedi costume for the opening of RotS and I'm trying to get an idea of where to start/what materials/how much/patterns/etc.

I have skimmed this thread but I'm still not quite sure. I'm sure there are people here who have made Jedi costumes before. Does anyone know of any really good sites about this or would anyone be willing to help me kind of figure out what the heck I'm doing? :p It would be much appreciated.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  20. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you're looking for a movie-accurate costume, the best material is crinkle cotton for the tunic. It has this really nice homespun look to it. The only thing is you have to double it up, cause it is kinda see-through. It isn't too expensive either, I got mine at the beginning of the summer at a fabric sale, and it only came up to about $11 Canadian. Being a natural fiber, you can also dye it to what ever colour you need it to be, just make sure it is pure white b4 you attempt to dye! Mine was off white, and i wanted a coffe brown....It turned out to be more of a purple brown :S.

I've been told that wool is the best for the robe, but wool is: 1. expensive and 2. hot! I think Cotton gaberdine would also work, but I'm having trouble finding any, especially in the right colour.

I'm not an expert, so you should probably go with what the pros say

Good luck!
  21. MASTER-SITH Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi i am a begin to costume makeing and i was thinking of makeing a jedi robe i want it to look as good as the real thing if some one could give me the best fabirc to use it would help me very much :) thanks as for a plan of the robe i was thinking of useing something along the lines of design 5840 but if there is a better design please let me know
  22. MASTER-SITH Jedi Knight

star 2
  23. Arsinoe Jedi Knight

star 3
    "I've been told that wool is the best for the robe, but wool is: 1. expensive and 2. hot! I think Cotton gaberdine would also work, but I'm having trouble finding any, especially in the right colour. "

Yes, wool is what they used to make the robes in the 'hero' shots for the movies. Wool can be expensive, but it isn't necessarily hot if you get the right weight and weave. Also, wash the wool before making the robe using orvis paste. Washing makes the wool nice and soft by breaking down the fibers a bit. This also allows it to breathe better making it comfortable to wear. lol I know from experience making and wearing my wool robe.

You might find the finish on a cotton gaberdine turns out to be too smooth and shiney for a Jedi robe.

As far as the design, patterns, materials etc, check out the robe pages on either Amber's or Padawan's Guide sites...everything you ever wanted to know about Jedi clothing and were afraid to ask is all on those two websites. ;)

http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/
    http://www.padawansguide.com/index.shtml
  24. BespinBelle Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm working on a custom Jedi costume for my husband right now, and I found a great linen (tho I think it may be a linen/poly blend, given the price) at Hancock Fabrics that will become the outer tunic. After washing, it's got a great "homespun" look and drapes quite nicely. I like the look so much I've ordered some swatches of heavyweight linen to see if that will work for the robe (since I'm having a hard time finding the right wool...).

Other fabrics: lightweight cotton for inner tunic, slightly thicker cotton for pants, wool suiting for tabbards & obi.
  25. Arsinoe Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pants....just buy a pair of dockers, don't bother to make them. lol The tunics cover the waist band/pockets and at con you can never have enough pockets. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.