main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Hey, it may be a bit late but i'm thinking of going to ROTS in a Jedi costume. I have no experience, yet my mom does, but at the moment were a bit strapped for cash, how much would it cost to create a fairly decent Jedi costume? My mom has suggested that I should hire one, but does anyone know if you can?

- Owen -

2. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    A fairly decent one? It depends on how screen accurate you want to make it. I'm working on one right now that is semi-screen accurate and I'm already up to about $70 Canadian for fabrics. I haven't had much luck with finding stuff at thrift stores, so with what I'll have to pay for belt supplies and saber hilt parts, I expect to be around the $100 range. Mind you, this is a great time to be making a costume because all the summer sales on fabric are starting (well, at least at Fabricland) For example, I got my robe fabric 50% off. $51 instead of $100...not too shabby at all.

Best of luck!

3. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    By fairly decent I guess I mean something you can tell has been cheaply made, but not like one of those kids costumes you can buy at a toy store.

I've had a look at some of the costumes that I could hire, and i've seen a nice AOTC Anakin costume that I might consider. All the usual Jedi costumes don't look that great, but this one looks fairly decent. The only problem is that it doesn't come with the robes, and the robes that they have don't look very Jedi like.

- Owen -

4. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    jabba974,

The president of our FanForce suggested using a "hook and eye" for this. Attach the hook to the tabbard and the eye to your tunic. When you hook them together, the tabbards should hang nicely. Velcro would work, but if you ever wore your tunic without the tabbards, the velcro would show.

If anyone out there is going to be in Memphis, TN for Premiere, our FanForce will be at the Paradiso for the 12:02 show.

Kelly

5. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    So I have a question regarding the front buckle of the belt: where do you find them? I want just a plain, simple (and cheap) buckle, like you find on backpacks and the like. Do you think they would be found at your local hardwear store, or elsewhere?

6. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
  7. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    Sorry, I should have specified "in Canada", specifically Southern Ontario. I'm guessing that if Joanne's has them, the more popular fabric stores here will too.

Perhaps I can find an old backback to scrounge one off of.....hmmm[face_thinking]

8. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey I'm in southern Ontario too :)

FabricLand has some good stuff, Otherwise I have some contacts for metal buckles, let me know :)

9. Annakin-Solo

Annakin-Solo Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Well I need to know before May 19th where would I get a Yoda Mask?

10. GarritQuset

GarritQuset Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    I'd like to point out that I caught this interesting tidbit of information:

Maul's hood has a seam all the way to the front. It is very prominent in the Duel of the Fates scenes (ya know, when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon face off w/ him in the Naboo hangar?) just as he pulls the hood back over the horns.

Now, I realize that he is Sith, not Jedi, but I say that Jedi hoods could have seams down the middle. Maybe I only say that cuz mine does... but it's too late now for me to fix that!

11. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    I say what ever goes goes. If you can make it look like it should and hang how you want, go for it. Mine doesn't have a seam taht goes all the way up to the front, but it hangs funny. So I just wear a baseball cap underneath and it's all good.

I really don't know what that has to do with seams on hoods....*slowy sneaks away*

12. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    Well here it is, I've finally got the picture of my costume up; the costume I made with the help of all the fabulous people on this thread. Thanks a million!

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blushing_flower2000/album?.dir=b011&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blushing_flower2000/my_photos

13. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    My costume is relatively simple, and while certainly not Prequel Era movier accurate, it does look like a Jedi to most of the people I have talked to. I use black Dockers for pants, I see no reason why not to use Dockers. In fact, Ewan McGregor wore Dockers for AotC, (and, yes I have seen pictures of him without the outer tunic on.)
    My shirt is a white cotton/algodon pull-over that laces up the front at the collar. The sleeves are loose and drape nicely. for my outer tunic I pleated up a black wasshable wool square cloak, giving it the appearance of a sleevless tunic and tabbards, though more like a surcoat. It can get quite warm however, which is an advantage when it is cold out, but in the heat, I sweat. It can also be tricky to keep the pleats in place at times. My boots are just knee-high Moccassans. My belt buckles in front. I bought a black dress belt, with a solid buckle that actually pinches the belt to secure it closed, atBannana Republic, and had the belt lengthened and reinforced where the bucke is anchored to the leather, then purchased several police belt pouches of various types including handcuff pouches, a Mace pouch, Mag-light holster, bullet pouch, and a latex glove case (for my Drivers license and such). I also bought several other gadgets to make it fully functional. I used Eraser-Mate pen caps for my energy capsules because I needed them a bit shorter than standard to fit in the bullet case. and even built a prop Jedi Holocron which I carry in the folds of my outer tunic/surcoat. My outer robe is some cheap fabric I bought at Walmart at $10 for 5 yards at 60" wide. I made it without a pattern using a basic bell-shaped T-tunic design, except floor-length, with attached sleeves. The robe isn't as volumous as the movie robes, but I didn't see that as too big a deal, though my hood is huge.I used a yard of fabric on that alone. :D IMO all Jedi need an outer robe with the obligatory huge honkin' hood; the bigger the better. I had to have the whole thing re-sewn after the first time I wore it because I had used a Handystitch (bad idea), and the stitching started to come out. The outer robe is a charcoal grey in color and really compliments the black and white garb.

14. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Well, when I look at you Robin, I think Jedi.
    Some people I just don't know what they were aiming for, but you have it nailed! Nice robe!=D=
    I saw some guy on TV that looked like something out of Lord of the Rings the other day!!

15. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    lol, that is always a peril isn't it? Thank you for the compliament :)

16. Darth_Link

Darth_Link Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Can someone explain to me exactly what the tabbard and obi look like when they're not on top of the tunic? Also, does anyone know of a good pattern for Jedi tunics that hasn't been discontinued?

17. partyatheckhouse

partyatheckhouse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    Thought I might as well post a picture of my costume here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/partyatheckhouse/IMG_0273.jpg

Made it for under $50. Walmart is an amazing place.

18. JenYi

JenYi Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Greetings to all! I'm new to this forum and I'm planning to make an Anakin ROTS costume. Can anyone give me some advice since this is the first time I'm making a costume. Thanks alot! :D

19. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    I haven't read through the whole thread yet (though a good deal of it) so I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet or not. For my pants, I used the same pattern that I use for bellydance pants.

http://www.shira.net/cg/harempants.htm

Just make the slim pants (adding 4-5" to the measurements instead of 10-12").

A week before the RotS opening I decided to go in costume, so I had some adventures. I'll post pictures when I can. Great thread, btw. I don't have a robe yet (couldn't afford the fabric) and there seem to be some good tips on here.

20. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Great costume partyatheckhouse! And you sure can't argue with under $50!

Hi JenYi, welcome to Costuming and Props! For making Anakin's RotS costume, go to this thread:

Anakin's Episode III Costume/Lightsaber

It's a big thread, but that means it probably answers every question you can think of regarding making that costume. The folks in that thread will be very happy to help you.

Good luck on your costume!

21. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Darth Link, the tabbards are just long, narrow rectangles.

The sash (obi) can either be done as illustrated in the link below, or as a wide cloth belt that fastens in back with hook/eye or heavy duty velcro.

tabbards & obi

22. JenYi

JenYi Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Thanks Sister_Sola! :D

23. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    Finally, I have some pics of my jedi costume!!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/jabba974/Rots%20charity%20event/Picture005.jpg]

And the velcro worked perfect on the tabbards

24. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    NIIIIIICE. I like. :D

25. SeanAzare

SeanAzare Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Do people here make their own style/design costumes? Im currently working on my Sith costume With 2 ligtsabers(one bladed,one not) and 2 light daggers that holstered in the robes sleaves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.