Jedi The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Is there any difference between generic male and generic female Jedi robes?
  2. Jedi_Kai Jedi Master

star 4
    Miba : that's a problem many have. There have beens some discussions about it elsewhere. One of my ideas was to use a hair comb, pinned to the inside of the hood and then attached to my hair. http://public.fotki.com/Kait/star_wars/host/comb.html

moosemousse: Not necessarily, except for the fit...some do a different cut to accomodate the differences in form. A few women have taken to wearing long, dark brown, skirts (a la Jocasta Nu).
  3. SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Master

star 4
    idk if this has already been addressed here as i havn't taken the time to read the whole thread, but i am attempting to make a Tholoth Headdress, like Adi Gallia and Stass Allie wear. does anyone know where i can find a pattern for such, or some ideas at least?
  4. Jedi_Kai Jedi Master

star 4
    If you look at the top line in the (currently) green band at the top, you will see "thread index".

Adi Gallia http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12401001&replies=10 but it doesn't seem to have any info about the head dress
  5. SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Master

star 4
    bummer deal. just as well, i guess. i'm kinda already blundering my way through it, using pictures from the movies and pictures of the action figures as reference. :p
  6. SoulpatrolJEDI Jedi Padawan

need some good jedi boots. price range 100-200 bucks. please help, running outta time before an event :(
  7. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Boots are, unfortunately, usually the hardest part of the Jedi costume to find, especially for guys, there are usually more choices in basic boots, for women.

It can be kind of a crap shoot, if you're looking for ones that already have straps or something on them and you don't want to pay for expensive, custom made boots.

But if you are handy with leather, vinyl, or even a couple of belts, you can dress up a plain pair of boots with straps or spats or greaves, like I did with mine (even though my dye job turned out darker than I had intended).
    [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Leather%20Work/SUNP0010a.jpg]

Spats or greaves also have the advantage of making shorter boots look taller, at least from the front.
    ;)
  8. SoulpatrolJEDI Jedi Padawan

ty for the advice. im probably gonna have to dish out some cash though, im not too handy with leather. ill post some pics when i can. i have a couple of pics of me in costume, but not realling facing the camera head on, to see all the gear.
  9. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    When looking for Jedi boots, I haunted ebay for awhile, searching with the specs and my shoe size.

"brown knee boots 7.5"
    "brown riding boots 7.5"
    "brown knee boots 7 1/2"
    "brown riding boots 7 1/2"

That saved a lot of time eliminating boots that wouldn't work. But you really need to know your feet to get boots that fit on ebay. Don't even think about buying if there aren't enough pictures. Other things to stay away from are:

- high heels
    - pointy toes
    - narrow widths

All of those are bad for Jedi and just plain uncomfortable, too.

And BTW new boot styles come out in the fall and winter. That's when you'll see the best selection. At other times, you won't seen that many boots, but they are more likely to be on sale.

Guys CAN wear women's boots. Feet are feet. You just need the conversion for the different sizing systems. In the US, just take your men's size, add 1.5 and you have the equivalent shoe in a woman's size.

10. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    Has anybody an Idea for what Shado Vao wears bloe his normal jedi cloak?
  11. Jedi_Kai Jedi Master

star 4
    When asking something like this, it is helpful to add a link to the image at which you are looking. I don't read (much) EU so have no idea who this character is let alone what he is wearing.

However, Google got it in one: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shado_Vao
    http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/b5/Vao.JPG

I don't see a robe at all (I define the robe as the oversize, brown coat worn over the tunic and tabbards). In this image, it looks like a fairly standard Jedi tunic and tabbards. In this rendering, it appears, though, that the bottom of the tunic is shredded

Of course, here http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:CadeShado.jpg it's just a shirt and pants.

Do you have a different image to share?
  12. Darthbane2007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay. I'm thinking of making a Xamar Costume. For those of us who don't know who he is..

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/f/f8/KOTORJedi1.jpg/483px-KOTORJedi1.jpg]

Now, I already have the blue robe, it of course being my Graduating Robe. The Boots I can find no problem, but what of the White Tabard that he wears around his shoulders, and that brown/red belt across his waist. Is there anywhere I could purchase them, or Would i have to make it myself?
  13. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    So he has ´his normal jedi clothes but underneath he seems to have the rather extraordinary cloth with holes in it..

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/f/f7/Shado_vs_Talon_1.JPG/584px-]
  14. Jedi_Kai Jedi Master

star 4
    morrison, I'm getting a 404 error on that link.

Do you mean this one http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f7/Shado_vs_Talon_1.JPG ??

If so, I don't think it's a shirt with holes. I think it looks like some kind of armor.
    The "under shirt" is drawn the same as the gauntlets.
  15. MirkyJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have a question.

How many yards does an average sized Jedi outfit need? (Including the robe)
    My sister and I are planning to make two Jedi outfits by the time Halloween comes around but we have no idea what kind of patterns to use, how much fabric and so forth.

Any help would be cool :)
  16. Amanita Jedi Knight

star 2
    How much fabric you're going to need depends on how tall you are, for one thing.
    Using the cloak instructions on padawansguide.org, I generally use about 6.5 meters of fabric for my outer cloaks. A long tunic like old Obi-Wan, Eeth Koth, or Saasee Tin's uses a little over 4 meters for me, I buy 3 for a short, standard length tunic.
    For what it's worth I'm about 5'3.
  17. MirkyJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm 5'3" also..soo thats roughly 10.5 meters (34 yards?) of fabric? [face_hypnotized]
  18. Amanita Jedi Knight

star 2
    No, nowhere near 34 yards of fabric!
    A yard is 36", a meter is 40". Only 4" of difference.
    If you are making two standard (mid thigh) length tunics, that's 6 meters approximately.
    The cloak adds another 6.5, so you're looking at about 12.5 meters, probably between 13 and 14 yards. You will probably need another 2 yards for your sash and tabards.
    Now bear in mind, I am being generous with my fabric estimates- it's always better to have some left over than not to have enough.
  19. MirkyJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, was the converter I used screwy or what? Either that or I did the conversion backwards. :oops:
    But anyway, 16 yards sounds much better than 34 IMO.

What kind of fabric is best (well..cheapest as well) used for the outfit?
  20. Amanita Jedi Knight

star 2
    If you're looking for cheap, you can try using flannel or fleece for the outer robe.
    The inner robe can be made of cotton, linen, or similar fabrics. Take a look at the pics on padawansguide and look for something in similar colours and textures. I made a pretty decent kit for a friend using broadcloth for one of the tunics, and this time of year, you can find lots of good stuff on sale.
  21. HeatherD Force Ghost

star 1
    Does anyone know how to make the shoulder tucks in the robe and outer tunic? I just did a sort of catch stich and of course it keeps ripping out because that's a weight bearing area! Outer tunic is not really a problem since I can sew through the fabric, the tabards cover any stitches. But the robe! Argh!
  22. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I just make the sleeves longer than I need them for the tunic. And the body of the robe longer than I need for robe. Hem the sleeves. Then I pin the fold on the shoulder (closer to the collar than the shoulder). Make sure that the fold isn't pressing down on a sensitive part of the shoulder and that the sleeves are the right length. Then I sew through the 2 layers of fabric of the fold. It flops outward toward the arm, making the fold.

For a dark colored robe and/or a robe with a woolly texture the stitching doesn't really show. The fold also adds an extra fold to the whole body of the robe, too. And more fullness. You just have to cut the robe so there is extra fabric in the whole body of the robe, not the sleeve.

And I'm 5'3" and 8 yards of fabric - about 7 - 7 1/4 meters - of fabric is plenty for making a robe for me.

23. HeatherD Force Ghost

star 1
    I did allow for extra fabric, but maybe not enough to tuck it all the way to the neck seam. I guess if I sew through the seam no one will see the stitches, but it seems so far to tuck it in!
  24. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    I was wondering, does anyone here have experience with the sizing of Simplicity's Jedi patterns 4450 (adult) and/or 4426 (kids)? I'm around 5ft tall, of average build, and am trying to figure out whether I should should use the XS from the adult costume or (as embarrassing as it would be) the L from the kid costume. The adult XS calls for chest size of 32-34" (though that's presumably for a guy) and lists a finished back tunic length (from of base of neck) of 32.5" and a finished cloak back length of 59". This would put the tunic down to just above the top of my knee and the cloak would be 8-10" below ground level (depending on boots). Both make me think it would be too big for me. I've learned to take back of the envelope measurements with a grain of salt, though; a few times before I've followed them only to find I needed a size or two different.

Has anyone here worked with this size range for these patterns, and if so, what did you find, size-wise? Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Somewhat related, I have a more general question for the gals here. When looking at a pattern that is obviously geared towards the guys, how do you judge chest size guidelines? Do you find you can go with the numbers listed on the envelope size guide, or do you need to make an adjustment because of the different build?
  25. Amanita Jedi Knight

star 2
    For using men's patterns, I use the measurements on the envelope. The thing I love about pattern sizing is that it's based on body measurements. Vanity sizing, such as is found on manufactured women's clothing does not exist. For things like Jedi tunics which are supposed to be a bit on the loose side, and overall unisex garments, I would not do much different for tailoring. For more fitted things, alterations like shaping darts sewn into the garment might help.

As for your other problem- the fact that garments made exactly as the pattern calls for being way too long for you, there is usually a simple fix for that. If you check the pattern tissue, there is usually a horizontal line on each pattern piece which is marked "lengthen or shorten here". The pattern instructions will tell how to use that feature to adjust the pattern to your desired length. Or in the case of Jedi tunics or robes, you can just remove the excess length from the bottom of each pattern piece. I've had to do it with a few different patterns, since I'm about 5'3. I think they design many patterns to be about right on a 5'6" female, and a taller male.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.