main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    something else that works well to keep pants tucked in - what i use for all my costumes requiring tucking in - are strips of cloth or an ace bandage wrapped around whatever needs to be inside of the boot. they also have something called blousers which we used in Civil Air Patrol to keep our pants looking 'neat' inside of our combat boots. But the cloth strips are an easy way to go for last minute fixes or for pants you plan to use aside from the one particular costume :) If any of that made any sense.

for teh boots, yeah those are fine. pretty much anything semi-simple. I've got one pair of laceups that I use and a pair with a zipper and some elastic at the top. Great thing about the jedi costume - unless you're going with a replica, you can do pretty much whatever you want ;)

2. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Since I kicked off this thread to talk about Jedi cosutmes I thought I should show off what all my research has resulted in:

Five Dice Productions

Check out the "Stills" page to see costumes and props.

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Jyro, thats one GREAT costume :) Always feels great when you get it all together eh :)

Only comment I would have is to cross the tabards at the front...but thats just me :)

Also, I really like your sabers, too bad I didn't know what you needed could have got you them for HALF that :)

How many Jedi costumes were made for your film :)

4. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    I've only got my costume done for this so far. My cousin is working on his costume (slowly) but we are going to be well into next year before filming begins.

My tunics and tabbards are all leather and feel wonderful. I didn't go traditional because I couldn't find fabric I liked.

I'll let you know when I want another hilt made. I need to get one for my son just for kicks.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

5. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Jyro-Kyrn, looks AWESOME! But you're a Jedi wearing a wedding ring... does the Council know about that? :p

6. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    HOLY COW! Never thought of that! Great catch! I'll have to remember to take that off in costume! Thank you very much! I'm going to a SW costume parade tomorrow and never would have thought of that!

Darn! Now I have to go re-take all of my pictures!

In addition, I didn't like my food capsules. I had used some really cheap, small highlighters. Great texture and visual interest. But the clips were plastic and broke easy. So I went to Staples and bought three boxes of pens (about $20 - enough for two belts - Bic Griprollers) that had a metal clip and some interesting details. Sanded the caps. Filled them with that putty that you mix and it hardens into metal ($3 Home Depot) and rounded it off. Primer and metallic paint later and I got great looking, strong food capsules.

Try to get pics up soon.

7. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Heh! I had to do the same with my purity ring...kept it off all summer so I wouldn't tan there :)

Heres the caps I use

[image=http://www.saberbelt.com/images/accessories/foodpellets01.jpg]

Once I get a new belt I'll have updated pics, but for now, teasers of version 1.5 ;)

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/10943/NewJedi%20023.jpg]

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/10943/NewJedi%20012.jpg]

8. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Looks good, Prim!

9. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Why you could even say he is looking prim, and proper!

:p

10. Prim_And_Proper

Prim_And_Proper Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2003
  11. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
  12. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    ;)

Thanks Jyro for the comments :)

I've gone through SO many revisions on the costume, sleaves, tucks, 3 times to fix the inner tunic! :)

In a year or so I will be getting another costume in replacement...this ones tunics are synthetic fabrics...oi! :)

13. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks great Primrodo!

14. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Nice food pellets Justin - where did ya find that pic ;) :p

Dave

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
  16. BRAIN_BALLS

BRAIN_BALLS Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2003
    the link has gone sour on you...

17. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
  18. Shinoan

Shinoan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2003
    I know this is an older thread, but in this upcoming halloween, I think this site will help you all out. It has many helps for each of us to make our costumes with! Cool site, too!! Has many many pictures!!!

http://www.padawansguide.com/

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Everyone's pictures look fabulous!
    :D

20. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Why thank you! I know it represents a lot of work on everyone's part. And thanks to everyone who has been contributing to this thread. Hopefully it will encourage more people to join the Jedi ranks! :D

21. JediGryphon

JediGryphon Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2003
    any suggestions on the amount(yardage)of material needed for outer tunic, tabbards and obi?
    I recently came across material that I would like to use, but I'm not sure if there's enough of it to complete the above mentioned.

22. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    if you use fabric, remember you have to double it. you should also use interfaceing to get them a little stiffer. they should be just a few inches longer than your tunic, unless you are doing qui-gon, then a lot longer. the obi can be done in once piece and velcroed or it can be tied. there are plenty of sites that tell you about that. ambers padwan site is a good one.

23. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    *trying to remember how much I used...* between six and seven yards...don't remember exactly, but i used the same cut of fabric for both tunics and the tabbards as well, and i lined the tabbards with the same fabric. didn't bother with interfacing cause i wanted them to flow rather than hang stiffly. but it's a personal preference. I also lined both tunics - dif fabric - which is another personal preference but i strongly suggest you line at least the sleeves on the outer tunic. the lining can be a different fabric too - cheeper that way. but if you're gonna line the tabbards - strong suggestion - you may wanna use the same fabric so it doesn't look...odd. ok, that's my .02. :D good luck, and have fun!

*edit*
    oh, just remembered. I ran out of fabric on the obi. that was it. tho i had to be stingy with the length of the sleeves as well. Ended up with not quite long enough sleeves for inner tunic and a velcro obi :(. overestimation is a good thing when buying material :p :)

24. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    YEA I need some jedi boots but i'm having trouble finding some. i was wondering if any one had some ideas on were to go

25. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Check out your local Tack shop, you can get so e for under 100 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.