main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Maybe he wants to hang 4 sabers from his belt?

2. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    "Maybe he wants to hang 4 sabers from his belt?"

3, actually. one has a covertec and a d-ring. putting the clips and hooks on all 4 corners of the belt make it so you can carry them however you want. plus, if a jedi was without a sabre and found one or took one, they could wear it, no matter what attatchment it has.

my lightabres are just designs, i doubt i'd ever get them built. random sabers could do it, but that costs money. as does making a costume. i don't have money.

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Just for your reference, I watched those scenes you pointed out...and I see why you thought the tabards hung at the back.

What Obi-Wans tunic does is drape at the back, they make it looser there so it has a bit of a layer look where its just drape.

Obi-Wan, and the majority of the Jedi at the arena, have the tabards extend only at the front.

4. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    that is strange. so why was qui-gon so different in that sense? seems to be the tabards should go from maybe 3 inches beyond the tunic at the front, to 4 or 5 at the back.

5. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Just a variation :)

6. Jediwoman

Jediwoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    It always seemed to me that the more advanced A Jedi you were, the longer your robes/tunics/tabbards got. For instance, Look at Obi-wan's in Ep I. Then look at qui-gons and Mace windu's. They are both longer because they are bothmore advanced Jedi. And we all know when Obi-wan becuase as advanced as he can get and resorts to living on Tattooine, his robes end up doing all the way down to the floor, just like Yoda's.

I dont know. Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but that's the way it always seemed to me. If you were an older, more advanced jedi, you had a longer tunic. But i could be wrong. And plus, the alien jedi they keep introducing wear stuff so dissimilar to traditional jedi robes, there's no way of telling who's what. :p

Just two cents thrown into the pot. :)

-Tanya

7. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    "Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but that's the way it always seemed to me. If you were an older, more advanced jedi, you had a longer tunic."

what about eeth koth then?

8. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I think that (after watching the Geonosis battle today) the word "traditional" can't be used. There don't seem to be two Jedi wearing the same thing. They are all different. I would bet that each Jedi makes his own clothing. Their personality becomes evident. The darkness of Ani, the light of Obi and Yoda. The serenity of Mace.

I think the only place the word "traditional" applies is that so many of us try to make a basic version of the Jedi costume.

9. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    once again, somebody says the exact same thing i've been trying to say better than i could possibly say it.

there really isn't a jedi uniform. but for some reason the obi-wan style has become the fan uniform.

oh yeah, i've been meaning to ask something. where would be the best place on the forums to talk about 1/6th scale figure customizing?

10. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I think ppl have adopted the "traditional" jedi due to its ease and over exposure.

11. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    I've been lurking for a while now, and I have a question:

Ha anyone come up with a version of the "traditional" jedi garb that is more *ahem* flattering for the female figure? The costumes that most ppl try to replicate are Obi-wan's/Qui-Gon's/Anikin's, which, being male characters, don't do much for us gals. Me personally, I just end up looking frumpy. Any suggestions?

12. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Hi, Robin! Welcome to non-lurk mode!

I agree, traditional Jedi garb is not very flattering to the female form, especially because of the bust issue -- the tunics just fall from the bust point down, taking away the taper into the waist.
    I was thinking recently about possible options for less frumptastical Jedi gear; maybe something that's actually tailored a bit more so that the waist line is actually accented a little more... Perhaps a garment that's almost like a long dress, semi-fitted, but slit quite high on the sides with some form of leggings underneath? Simple, elegant, and movement friendly are the key elements, I think.

I always wondered about Depa Billaba... I don't think there's ever been a glimpse of what her attire looked like under her outer robe. Of course, some of the female Jedi in Ep. II had more feminine, figure flattering outfits, but they also lost some of what I've come to think of as the "traditional" jedi feel.

Do you have something in mind for a costume?

13. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    ...less frumptastical...

LOL!

14. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    I have some ideas that would compliment ladys.I have one that would be down right sexy.

15. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    I was thinking something along the lines of what you were talking about, surlygirlie, a fitted dress/tunic thing. I was thinking of basing the design on my karate gi (very similar to the outer tunic), but setting the shoulder seams so they actually land on the shoulder, and perhaps adding darts to the front and back. The other idea I had in mind was making the outer tunic kinda like a fitted bodice I made once: two front peices, one solid back one, and side panels, but of course longer and wider at the bottom to fit over the hips. I'm also debating over tabards: they're very cahracteristic of the Jedi, but just kinda hang down from the bust. What do you think?

16. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Cross the tabbards. If they cross as they go under the obi they should help accent the female form. It still will soften the bustline a bit but it will help with the hourglass.

You just gotta love women who love SW! May the Force be with each and every one.

Another thought would be to sew the tabbards to the outer tunic, form fitting them over the bust. And perhaps make the tabbards for females narrower.

Look at Bastilla's costume from KOTOR. She looked great and still looked very Jedi.

17. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Tabards are the sticky widget in this plan.

The cross over idea is a good one, but if you have an ample bust, strange things can happen there. I would almost be tempted to either a) tack the them to the tunic so they don't just fall down the front, or b) skip them entirely.

You could also add something like tone-on-tone embroidery down the front to mimic the line of tabards without adding bulk.

edited for spelling... twice. [face_plain]

18. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    surlygirlie,
    I thought of the embroidery thing but just couldn't come up with the right words for it. The two tone approach would probably be the best.

Now I don't want to come across in the wrong way so I'm gonna say this as unoffensively as possible.

If you are going to make a form fitting costume and you really want it to look great (i.e. like movie costumes do) then please provide the propper support before measuring and constructing. You'll never see a well costumed lady without the proper support.

On the flip side, guys, if you got a few extra pounds (not a LOT, just a few) then you should seriously consider a girdle to make you look more svelt as well! Or just get to the gym a bit huh? I can see a big fat Jedi, as if he were a large species. But I can't see a human Jedi with a pot belly. Know what I mean?

So if we are going to ask the ladies to not droop, then we shouldn't either ;)

Now, to wait for the mods to come after me...

19. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    I google the idea and found some stuff i think could be very inspiring for a more "femme friendly" jedi costume.

This one could be adapted, the verticle fabric show the ... anatomy while looking somewhat tabbardish. [image=http://www.dougmacd.net/art/archive/space_knight.jpg]

The pics are unpostable and it wont let me link them. I found them by google pictures "female jedi".They are the 2nd and 3rd pics.

Be a trend setter!! [image=http://www.planetavp.com/images/planetavpfeatures/Female_Jedi_Inked.jpg]

Take away the fact that its a cat and it could be a very nice costume. [image=http://us.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Wolverine/My%20drawings/Tessa_-_The_jedi_knight.jpg]

They pulled it off.The one on the right looks very jedi and was able to be very femine by accenting her anatomy. It wont let me link so her is the URL
    http://community.webshots.com/s/image3/0/17/13/19801713TRrOlNcxXb_ph.jpg

20. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Jyro-Kyrn, I won't come after you!

Admittedly, discussing anatomy and undergarments can be a bit of a touchy subject, but as long as everyone stays respectful and doesn't get creepy, it's a valid issue.

I agree that foundation garments are key for making a costume look right. Especially with costumes like jedi, where many layers will be involved, it's important to think about what the lines of the garment will do and how all that fabric will accumulate bulk-- for example, an obi can cinch the waist, but it's also important to remember that it is creating a horizontal line, which cuts the body in half and can make the waist look wider than it is, and it is compacting MANY articles of clothing in one place, which can cause unsightly lumps.

Also, designing for your shape and size can go a long way towards minimizing figure flaws.
    There's a wonderful book called The Fine Art of Dressing: Make Yourself a Masterpiece by Dressing for Your Body Type
    by Margaux Tartarotti
    , as well as many other publications, which can really educate costumers on how to design for their bodies.

Imperial_Birrer, some of your embedded images aren't working.
    I like the bodysuit in the first one; reminds me of Mara Jade.
    There is a bit of a pitfall on the 4th and 5th images you posted -- not all artists draw garments the way they would hang in real life. The 4th image, with the fullish tunic, features a garment that would be unlikely to cling to the bustline in the way it is pictured unless there is some serious trickery in its understructure.
    The cat lady in the 5th pic has a similar problem -- the vest there clings tightly to the bust, and doesn't have any of the gappage that would normally occur when a closely fitted piece of clothing is not lying on one flat plane and has an open edge. This effect can usually only be achieved with toupee tape (I'm dead serious) which, while commonly used in film and television, is impractical for a real life costume that will be running around a convention or a party.

I'm very glad those came up, because it's something that is often forgotten by people setting out to make a costume or outfit.
    :)

21. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Birrer,
    You found me! Aigh!

Actually, I liked elements of the jedi costumes, but I don't like the "look at my cleavage" effect. A Jedi wouldn't be concerned with such things. A Sith? Sure. But not a Jedi. A Jedi would want a form fitting simple look.

And I hate it when I am... distracted... when talking to a woman. I prefer them to be modest so that I can actually remember what they said to me...

I hope one of our female friends here does build the end all be all of Jedi costumes. I'd sure like to see it.

22. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Makes me wonder what Obi-Wan thought of Aayla ;)

23. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Obi-Wan is biased towards blue...
    OT, but let's face it. Are we to believe that Jedi's are Monks?

Wait, no, don't answer that. Sorry I even asked.

Doing it again, hijacking MY THREAD?!!! UGH!

This is a COSTUMING thread.

Back On Topic!

Thread, bobbins, fabric!!!

24. Robin_the_squeeker

Jan 6, 2003
    Wow, guys! your ideas are great! Since this is my first attempt at the Jedi costume, I don't think I'm going to stray too much from the traditional look (or my pattern! lol)yet. I like the idea of crossing the tabards and the embrodery. I also agree, modesty and comfort are key. I just couldn't see a Jedi walking around the Temple in something with a plunging neckline or that fits like a second skin, but I couldn't see her giving up all traces of her femininity either.

Is "femininity" even a real word?

25. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Yes, it's a real word.

And Prim has a good point. Aayla is practically naked. But then again, she's blue too. I'm not sure what that means. But she obviously is feminine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.