Jedi The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
  2. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
    k, I need some help here. I'm trying to find some nice, cheap fabric for my Jedi Robe, but am having VERY little luck. I want something that still drapes well, but doesn't cost like $20 a meter. Any suggestions of fabric types/where to get them?
  3. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Robin, I bought wool from Fabricland for mine. What I did though is waited until there was a sale. It was buy 1 metre, get 2 free. So I was able to get 9 metres for 2/3rds off.

The wool is still $25/metre, but $75 is a lot less than $225.00!!

The other suggestine is look for cotton gabardine. It drapes nicely, breathes well and looks good. My first robe is made from that. Its also fairly inexpensive.
  4. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
    Another option is denim. It's heavy, but it's cheap.
  5. Jedi_Devi Jedi Master

star 2
    Guh, does anyone have measurements or has made an Obi-Wan belt? I'm having trouble with sizing that looks right. Any pictures of your replicas or info would be appreciated!

Jedi_Devi
  6. Primrodo Jedi Master

star 4
    What specifically do you mean? Thie widths?

Its 2.25" wide on the wide part and the accent belt is 1/2"

Is that what you meant?
  7. Jedi_Devi Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah, I needed the widths... thanks for the info!

Jedi_Devi
  8. Jedi_Devi Jedi Master

star 2
    Garbardine is a great material... but mine is synthetic. Anything synthetic like rayon is inexpensive, looks nice, but oh man, you need to hop into an icebox after a full day at con. A heavy cotton weave that you can find at Joanne's or any sort of fabric shop is great becuase it's breathable, and make sure it flows like a robe should. Try matching the color, if not, it is easy and inexensive to dye it to the normal "Jedi" dark brown. A warning, however... most dyes only work on natural weaves, and not synthetics.

Jedi_Devi
  9. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
    yeah, I've been looking at fabricland and all the other textile shops on Ottawa street (you hamiltonians know what I'm talking about)and I can't find enough of the right fabric. I've been doing my research, and it looks like I'll prob. need at least 5m. I can find 3 or 4 meters of the right coloured/cheap fabric, but any more than that...have fun hunting
  10. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh man if you can't find it on Ottawa St you are in trouble!!

Ottawa Street in Hamilton, Ontario in a 2 block stretch there are around a half dozen fabric stores (if not more).
  11. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    wow, its like a costuming mecca.
  12. Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Knight

star 1
  13. SkyWookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Like Yafo road in Tel-Aviv is for beading...
  14. Master_Byrd Jedi Master

star 4
    That sounds kind of small for the Jedi belt... I've got mine going at 5" and the smaller one at 2". But then again, I'm a bigger man and wanted something a little more like a weight belt.
  15. Primrodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Well what can I saw, its the exact measurements....
  16. lgtsbr Force Ghost

star 4
    "That sounds kind of small for the Jedi belt... I've got mine going at 5" and the smaller one at 2". But then again, I'm a bigger man and wanted something a little more like a weight belt"

Primrodo is right - if you measure out a food pellet it is 2 3/8" Tall - that makes it just a hair taller than the belt - so the main belt measures out at 2.25" with the accent belt on alot of Jedi Belts being 3/4" and on Obi's 1/2".

5" is a huge belt - make sure you post pics when it is done - I always love to see custom work.

Dave
  17. Master_Byrd Jedi Master

star 4
    I will, I will admit it's huge... looks kinda like an old kidney belt from the middle ages right now. But I wanted something unique.
  18. Primrodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Unique is awesome :)

Did you see my custom?
  19. Master_Byrd Jedi Master

star 4
    Probably, Primo... but I look at everyone's here so, I can't remember off the top of my head. Gotta link?
  20. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Primrodo Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you just call me Primo? lol!

heres my custom, I have highres if you're not on 56k that I can link to:

[image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/14664/md-IM002808.JPG]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/14664/md-IM002809.jpg]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/14664/md-IM002810.JPG]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/14664/md-IM002811.JPG]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/14664/md-IM002812.JPG]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/14664/md-IM002817.JPG]
  22. Master_Byrd Jedi Master

star 4
    Both look sweet...

(hurries to finish Byrd's belt...)
  23. PappyCat Jedi Padawan

Hey, I'm looking into making a jedi robe for my friend, but I really really can't work without a pattern (I'm a beginner) and I've been looking all over for a good Jedi robe patter. Some help would be much much much appreciated.
  24. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Master

star 4
    Imperial Outfitters

This is the pattern I used. Make it a bit longer than they say (about 5-6 inches) and you'll be golden.

Edit: And make the armpits deeper. Mine are a bit too small go with 22-24" rather than the 18" they recommend and you'll be able to get into and out of it a lot faster.
  25. Jedi_Kai Jedi Master

star 4
    pappycat, go to Amber's Jedi Mediation Chamber Robe directions where it shows how to adapt a pattern from a cloak pattern.

If you don't think you can do that, I can make a copy for you of the pattern I've made from those directions. PM me with details on your height and where I should mail it.

Beware, though, that this pattern results in a very large, flowing robe, close to screen accurate. Even for someone as short as me (5'2"), it requires 8 yards of fabric.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, then just use any wizard's robe pattern you can find. It will probably only need 4-5 yards. That would be adequate for a Halloween costume or for some Cons, but it wouldn't be screen accurate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.