main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Complete Season Five DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Apr 12, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Someone actually spent over $500 for Lost? [face_sick] [face_hypnotized]

I've spent $30-40 each for seasons of The Big Bang Theory (except for seasons 4 and 5 which I got on sale) and Grey's Anatomy on DVD and I guess I've paid that much for each TCW season.

The Indiana Jones Blu-Ray box set, which I really want in spite of the fact that it includes Temple of Doom, is $75 at Target, which I found pricey. I got my Back to the Future Blu-Ray box set off Amazon for $38. I've found individual movies on Blu-Ray at Target, the old movies that I like :p , for $5-10 each.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I recently bought LOST from Amazon UK for £40 ($60).

Is the UK just really good for Blu-Rays or something compared to the US? They're always cheap here.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The complete "Lost" is around $170 on Blu-ray on Amazon.

4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    With the exception of box sets, I haven't purchased a Blu Ray over $20 locally, probably less off amazon. I'm not sure how that would compare to UK BR prices.

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I spent $30 on the deluxe collector's edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, which I have at least 3 copies of. Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season Four would be the three most expensive, except the first two were gifts. Very few films I will buy when they come out, I usually wait.

07jonesj and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

I take it you bought the extended editions?

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Oh, yeah.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

they did, apart from cutting out the Clovis arc parts and replacing them with Young Jedi stuff.

The extended editions of LOTR are the one copies of the films worth having. You don't get the complete story otherwise!

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Exactly, it basically fills in all the plot holes that were in the theatrical versions and makes the movies more EPIC!!!

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    When i posted the $500 LOST thing, that was what the blu ray price for the whole set appeared on amazon to me.

It did not start at that price. It was in the $100 range but due to limited stock and its packaging being very "collector's edition" the price skyrocketed up. But then someone said it was back down to $170 so i don't know.

The point is, waiting might not garner price drops for the whole set. The only guaranteed price drops online will be for individual sets.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And my point was more than I might keep that in my house if someone paid me $500. I hate that show.

13. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    When amazon was selling LOST box it was between 120-180$ worth it. Now it is at 518.60$ because it's sellers price not amazon price. Amazon has reasonable prices.
    The price is not an issue for me but of course 500$ is overpriced.

14. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm curious to know why the S5 blu-ray is only 2 discs whereas the DVD set is 3 discs. wouldn't the quality of HD on blu-ray be reduced due to more being episodes being on one disc?

And where are they putting the break? Is it in the middle of an arc or after an arc? Presumably Disc 1 will have Revival, Onderon Arc and Young Jedi arc on it so that is 9 episodes, and Disc 2 will have Droid arc, Maul-Mando arc, Ahsoka arc and that is 11 episodes. Why they couldn't have just kept with 3 discs I don't know...

15. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    The DVD is always more discs than blu-ray, it's normal.
    A blu-ray disc can contain more episodes than a DVD so no it does not reduce the quality.
    The cut will probably like you say. Three discs for this season would have been unecessary, the third disc with only one arc ? So that's better if they only put 2 discs for 20 episodes.
    Look Falling Skies is 10 episodes of 40 minutes, 5 on disc 1 and 5 on disc 2. It is like 20 episodes of 20 minutes so 2 discs is quite normal.

hlc88 likes this.
  16. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    A DVD holds 4.7GB for a single layer and 8.7GB for a double layer. A Blu Ray holds 25GB SL and 50GB DL.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    They better put Revival in it's right place, with the rest of the Mauldalore arc.

That way the split can take place in the middle of the Gascon arc, which I'll never play. Well, I might watch Missing in Action.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I doubt Revival will be in its right place. It's officially the first episode of Season 5 so it probably won't be slotted in with the rest of the arc unless in a chronological order set.

I also doubt they would have the split in the middle of an arc.

It will be like this:

Disc 1: Revival, Onderon arc, Young Jedi arc.
    Disc 2: Droid arc, Mauldalore arc, Fugitive arc.

Even if they did put Revival before Eminence then they can just have Onderon and Young Jedi arcs on Disc 1, with the other three arcs on Disc 2, no need to split an arc across discs.

Ani501st likes this.
  19. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Not having Revival before Eminence in the set as it should be (even though it wasn't the airing order) would be freakin' stupid; having to change the discs when wanting to watch the entire arc in one sitting would most certainly be something of an annoyance.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Or you know, don't watch them in chronological order :p

21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Episodes should just be in airing order, that's fine. I can put them together in the timeline in my head just fine.

22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    It's not about struggling to put them into place. It's about a disc swap being necessary to watch the whole arc.

Gah, maybe I'll just edit the episodes together myself. Always wanted to have them all like the Nightsister trilogy, where you could watch the whole arc uninterrupted.

23. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Mainly talking about people on Facebook and elsewhere:

I don't understand why people thought we'd see bonus content on the season 5 DVD/Blu. For starters, it's right there in the title of the set : "THE COMPLETE SEASON 5". That's exactly what it is. Bonus Content has been said, time and time again, to be after season 5, not a part of it, and rights-wise it is under Disney's ownership while season 5 is being released by WB. I had to laugh when I read comments on Facebook and TF.N where fans refused to buy season 5 because it did not have the bonus content. Guess they'll never own it then.

Anyway, as for the complete series set, it's looking like a typical WB collector's edition. Same discs as before, with a book acting as the "exclusive content". They're doing the same with The Dark Knight trilogy this fall, and have done something similar with all the Harry Potter films. The artwork is pretty awful, especially the cover with all the main characters floating in the sky, a line of clones below (very much looking like a line of stock art) and R2 and 3PO on the spine. I love the droid duo, but they shouldn't be so prominent on the set.

As for the price, again I don't get the complaints. The MSRP is very much in line with other blu-ray tv show collections of similar sizes. And as others have stated, it will not be $150. In fact, looking at Amazon right now, it would be cheaper to get the season 1-5 set than the individual volumes. The blu-ray season sets have gone from $30 to $60 each, so all five range between $150 and $300. With that in mind, the MSRP of seasons 1-5 is quite good, given it's the same price as all five at their lowest possible Amazon prices.

24. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Figured I'd whip up a cover gallery given we have all the season cover arts now:

[​IMG]
    Movie is the US Target edition

[​IMG]
    Movie is the Europe edition - cover matches the season releases

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012