main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The concept of canon: good or bad?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Aug 2, 2013.

1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I think he satyed out of the way after Chewie's death, and just concentrated on movies, after that, and besides in 2003, after the release of ROTS, Peter talked about his contract for episode 3, included a stipulation, that he be available for the ST.

2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    1. As I said, I don't think George particularly cared one way or the other unless an outline was presented to him (e.g., the NJO). I believe he said he didn't read the EU material and considered their domains separate.

2. Yoda says Luke is the last of the Jedi, the EU says he's one of a zillion survivors. Obi-Wan says the Force can influence the weak minded, the EU says anyone can be mind frelled (e.g., The Sith Emperor). Yoda says that the dark side forever dominates a dark sider's destiny, the EU says just go into settings and switch your dark side allegiance to OFF and you're A-ok. The films present Force lightning as an exclusive eldritch power not even Vader can wield, the EU says every Tom, Sith, and Harry can use it. Obi-Wan says the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice before the Empire... But the EU says "oh, and before KotOR 2." TPM says midi-chorians enable a Force user to use the Force, he EU says discorporeal spirits can use it just fine. Obi-Wan says Yoda will always be with Luke, the EU puts an expiration date on it. Movie Force users cast lightning and throw Senate platforms, the EU says they can raze planets and atomize folks.

The list goes on and on and on. Neither side has clean hands, but only George had the authority (as explained by the EU) to do what he pleased.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Few dozen, but yeah it is kind of annoying, though Leia is also one of them, as is Vader if your technical.

The Sith Emperor was pretty weak minded and insane

Luke also has Dark Side "freak outs" and comes back from it, as did Vader kind off.

Dooku also used it and at least we do not have normal people use it, though it can be tech created.

Äh... the Kotor 2 thing falls before the Rise of the Empire.

Obi-Wan seemed to also be able to connect to the force to talk to Luke, so kind off in the movie.

I always felt that was a metaphor anyway.

Vader actually says as much in ANH.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't agree with all your examples but I agree with the general sentiment. The thing that always bugged me was that every EU Jedi Force ghosted when Vader was clearly unaware of what happened with Obi-Wan. You'd think that the guy that wiped out the Jedi wouldn't be surprised by Obi-Wan vanishing if they all did it. The EU tends to take things at face value without deeper analysis -- not just with the films, but with the preceding EU too, and in so doing, warps ideas if not in fact, then in spirit or intent.

Valin__Kenobi and Sable_Hart like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda's statement never precluded the possibility that other Jedi survived the purge, especially Yoda and Obi-Wan's lightning raid on the Jedi Temple to reset the signal. Star Wars fans everywhere can't take that guy seriously anyway, so you are preaching to the choir. I don't know what to say on that one, because all I see are examples to the contrary. Dooku wielded it too, so I don't see what the fuss is with that. I really don't know what your complaining about with these next two. If anything Yoda says he can't last forever. Lucas was heavily involved with TFU and it goes beyond what the films depicted.

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hardly any do actually.

Lost skill by that time.

Actually the EU often thinks deeper about things than given credit for, sure some authors do not, but just pick up any of the Essential Guides or those fun articles by Abel G. Peña to see how much they work on tying these things together.

7. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Whose ghosted other than mara jade?

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Before the prequels when the matter was clarified, every Jedi Force ghosted.

9. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    and after?

10. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm on my iPhone so I can't quote you piecemeal; sorry.

1. Vader is a Sith and Leia is not a Jedi; she's a potential one.

2. No, the Sith Emperor allegedly mind frelled about 8 THOUSAND other Sith Lords and enthralled Revan and Malak telepathically.

3. Luke didn't succumb to the dark side in ROTJ, he skirted it. Unless you count Dark Empire, which is the EU again at work.

4. Dooku is clearly an extraordinarily powerful Sith. I'm not saying it should be a power exclusive to Palpatine, but legions of no name Sith use it.

5. I know, but I meant that KOTOR 2 saw the Jedi as decimated as ROTS, undermining its import.

6. Because he was PART of the Force; but we didn't actually see him affect the physical world with his powers like various Sith and Jedi spirits.

7. Perhaps.

8. And indeed the Death Star did succumb to the Force as Vader implied. But not directly; it was still a proton torpedo that blew it up. An EU writer would say "'Achoo!' AND THE DEATH STAR, UNABLE TO WITHSTAND DARTH BANE'S FEROCIOUS SNEEZE, EXPLODED IN A GLORIOUS FIREBALL."

11. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    And if ROTJ were set immediately after ROTS, I would concede the point. But the Empire spent another two decades hunting the remnant of the Jedi down.

As already established, Dooku wielding it doesn't grant legitimacy to Sith Extra #5 using it.

And TFU concerned the film characters; it didn't create new ones to make them BIGGER and BETTER than the movies.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Galen Marek is a new character- and painted as "bigger and better than Vader".

13. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    After two encounters where Vader impales him, rag dolls him, and throws him off a cliff. Then Starkiller commits suicide by Sidious.

If he went in and kicked everyone's ass, I'd see your point. But he doesn't.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Not every Sith extra uses lightning, so I seriously don't know what you are talking about, Palpatine has always been recognized as the most powerful practitioner of the ability. Then who the heck is Galen Marek? He does feats no Jedi or Sith ever attempted in the films.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Vader is an Ex-Jedi and yeah Leia is a potential Jedi, but the way Yoda and Obi-Wan word it they plan to train her should Luke fail.

And went insane during it, or actually before that, if you consider his plans.

He hacks off Vaders arm in blind rage, he went there. Also the whole Dark Side cave thing.

Not really, it is reserved for rather powerful ones, just more of those showing up then is good.

Obi-Wan never says they are the only Guardians of Peace in the Republic, there is the Senate and the actually people of the Republic as well.

Even those have mediums for it to make it work.

I always took his little speech to mean that some people really know or knew how to use the Force to blow up a planet. As it turns out there was indeed Sith who could blow up stars with their mind.

16. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    If your defense is that not LITERALLY every Sith extra uses lightning, it doesn't bode well.

Are you sure about that? Bane practically vaporizes folks with his, Revan incinerates Nyriss with her reflected lightning, etc.

Marek has already been addressed.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Who cares if things like saber throw and Force lightning are overused? Lucas came up with Bane. I edited my previous post with something more on the Marek situation in such a way that you missed it.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Well Bane and Revan are hardly run of the mill, but the main problem with the TFU thing actually is that the Rebels are not supposed to know so much about the Death Star that early, Kota so needs to be dead before Luke gets anywhere close to the Rebellion and you got to question how Palpatine let Bail life (I mean Mothma and Garm are at least undercover) but Bail is there on Alderaan.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I don't know, that I can buy: The Emperor lets Bail Organa see his new battle station, knowing that Alderaan's top of the list so he's showing Organa the means of his demise and daring him to do anything about it.

20. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    1. But that's not the point. At the time Yoda makes the remark, Vader hasn't been a Jedi for 23 years and Leia has literally zero training. That he once was and she could be doesn't make either of them Jedi at the time.

2. No, he attacked in rage. You're conflating a momentary lapse of judgment with complete and lifelong submission.

3. But that's not the point. The point is that he telepathically ensnared two particularly powerful and willful Jedi after ensnaring thousands of Sith.

4. Plenty of no name Sith have made use of it or Jedi who had no prior dark side training.

5. That's nowhere near my point. My point was that Obi-Wan indicated that the Empire was the climax for the Jedi. But the EU already featured an enormous systemic purge of the Jedi in KOTOR 2, undermining the Empire.

6. Not according to TPM.

7. Then why wouldn't Vader or Palpatine demonstrate such power? Or Luke? Or the Chosen One himself?

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Actually yeah, that is way crueler. [face_thinking]

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    So what about the EU "quietly contradicting" Lucas's, Lucas has done more to contradict his own vision with the likes of TCW and TFU than the entire EU put together.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, he's allowed Zeta!

Though, I do think that's a greater tragedy - that Lucas can't be consistent with his own work, much to its detriment and diminishing.

24. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Who cares that Ventress is Dathomirian instead of Rattataki? Who cares that Maul survived TPM, they never found the body? You're moving the goalpost to cast the EU's transgressions in a better light. The same can be done for George's infractions.

George didn't make Bane a temple smashing, move faster than the eye can see monument to wankery. That was ALL Karpyshyn.

Marek was still humiliated by Vader twice and was no match for the Emperor, who were both glorified by their ability to challenge and defeat him. A far cry from what other aspects of the EU have done.

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas wasn't even phased by the post-NJO undermining RotJ and its theme of redemption with Darth Vader II.