main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Condition of the Expanded Universe Community Forum

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jedi_master_ousley, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Basically, saying *bashes DA on the head with a 2x4* is alright if it's in the context of me getting upset over him beating me in some debate thing.

But if I suddenly get into a "fight" with him and it takes over the entire purpose of my posts, it's bad.

It's slightly more acceptable in social threads, but when you're just RPing things, there's little actual chatter that occurs. It's like... spamming a spam thread.

lexu has a good idea with the surveys, but it'd be a hell of a lot of work to actually read and compile all the information contained therein. I don't know if something on that scale would be practical.

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Which is why lexu's in charge of it :D

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I, personally at least, think that debating over "when" the so-called "Golden Age" happened is a bit...silly, in this context.

If we want to be reminiscent on the past, that's good, but we can't hope to restore every single thing during that time. Over time things have changed in the forum society, and that in itself means that we can't just revert back to our old ways, at least not without potentially doing harm to the current forum population.

Think of it like the Old Republic and then the New Republic. After defeating the Empire, the Rebel Alliance created a new government based upon the Old Republic, but with significant changes in accordinance with both their time frame and the changes in galactic society.

The "Old Republic" was our EUC's "Golden Age", and now that we're beginning to defeat the "Empire" that is the over-abundance of social threads and rampant amount of spam and unneeded RP, we need to establish this "New Republic" in a way that has basis on the old days of the Golden Age, but with a focus that is suitable now.

We had the entire idea of a focus group, we have the Senate, and now we have this thread to help focus on solving these problems and establishing guidlines and issuing aid and tips to new members in order to help us achieve what I think all of us here are trying to do- improve the forum.

We had a saying in the Star Wars Community, when we went through our change, that reflected this in a sense. We knew that Obi Anne couldn't hope to clean-up the forum alone, not even with the help of Quix when he was transferred. So rather than trying the all-to-common idea of working change from the top down- from the Administration in this sense- we, as a community, worked from the ground up to attain our goals that we set for the forum.

Basically I think we need to take this focus group idea, focus our Senate on the issue, and use this thread- and the members that have and will participate in the discussion within it- and begin that change, along with DA and such to help give the additional information he knows from being in an administrative position, as well as with Genghis overseeing it. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The EUC was created for fan clubs and games. The whole idea of a "social thread" came much later, and was not the original purpose of the forum.

Yep. The entire original purpose was for this forum to take all the games and fan clubs that were in Lit to improve the forums. At the time, social threads as they currently are didn't really exist, and there were only two threads that were remotely related to social threads.

Oh, btw, the thing about RP being banned wasn't decided by the mods. They allowed it to run rampant and take the place over. It was when a lot of users got seriously upset and demanded that the mods take a look at whether this really belonged here that things changed. The patrons decided.

Oh, and fyi... the complaints were made via PM and they didn't take overnight. They were addressed, though. Keep that in mind as a nice example.

Bingo. From memory it took almost a month of back and forth with about 4 or 5 moderators before things started to happen with the first reform of this place, and then it was still another 2 weeks before a mod was promoted to deal with the after-effects. And even then it took time for things to be sorted.

The moral of the story: be patient.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    This thread is redundant.

We don't need to spam EUC with all sorts of threads with various people's ideas about making the forum better.

We have an ongoing discussion in the EUC Forum's Administrative thread. We also have the EU Senate, which has existed to deal with the concerns of the "prominent/active threads of the forum," which is perfectly suited to address these sorts of issues.

Your concerns haven't ever been ignored, Ousley. You need to keep two things in mind, there are others who hold other opinions different from your own and that things are moving forward according to the Jedi Council Forum's schedule.

We will try to appease everyone on all things, but sometimes, unfortunately, that is just not possible.

So, instead of spamming the forum, I'd suggest jumping into the ongoing discussion on all of these matters taking place in the EUC administrative thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.