main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Conference Room (A Jaina and Jag Discussion Thread) FOTJ: OMEN now out - what's next for J/J?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaina_Jag_Index, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    SPOILER SPACE

Just in case...

ojn: Okay. I don't like the Jaina/Zekk thing at all, and I don't think we are supposed to like it. The Zekk connection creeps me out, and I had no pre-existing problems with Zekk or his storyline. The truth is no author is going to give his/her readers what they want right off the top - the payoff is so much more delicious if there's some uncertainty, some build up that makes you wonder, and if there's more than one suitor for the damsel's hand...

My thoughts exactly ;)

It seems to me that so much time would not have been spent introducing Jag and building him up as a fairly major character - as well as the obvious love interest for Jaina - if there wasn't some kind of payoff. Yes, it could go both ways: Happy ending (Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaassseee!!) or Jag playing a protagonist against the man she actually ends up with. I hold firm to my belief that we J/Jer's will be very happy at some point...

After reading TJK I'd have to second that. But we're going to have to read thru two more books I'm sure...

I'm not satisfied with the first book, but I'll reserve judgment until #2 in September.

Well seeing as it's the first book I don't think many people we'll feel "satisfied" at the end, but I am loving the story. I think Denning has done a fantastic job of setting up a lot of different "problems" and "issues" in need of resolution. Not only J/J/Z but also the Jedi view of the Force and Artoo's seeming problems with certain sectors of his memory. As far as characters, I think Denning has Han and Leia spot on. He's got a great handle on the YJKs and the Barabels make me laugh more than anything else in the whole book. (Somewhere Denning said Saba represented his sense of humor.)

I think it would be fun to write a fanfic about the implied back story on J/J's drifting apart between the end of the war and TJK.

JG: I was just disappointed that Jaina failed to realize what was happening. You'd think she was smarter than that, and smart enough to stay away from Zekk considering how they're now linked.

I think though that none of the young Jedi are able to "see" the influence of the hive mind on their own thoughts. Jaina is smarter than that, but she's under the influence of powers she isn't even aware are being imposed upon her will. I mean who'd have ever imagined Alema would go all wiggy on Han and Leia?

I'm counting on Jagged Fel to shake Jaina to her senses [face_love] Or maybe kiss her to her senses :*

2. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    SPOILER SPACE

I think though that none of the young Jedi are able to "see" the influence of the hive mind on their own thoughts. Jaina is smarter than that, but she's under the influence of powers she isn't even aware are being imposed upon her will.

After reading TJK now for the second time, I have to say I agree with this. It's just frusterating for me to see Jaina under the influence of the hive mind, and not to even realize it. It creeps me out on several levels. I think that once she realizes what has happened to her, she will feel the same way. It'll take a lot to get her through that.

I mean who'd have ever imagined Alema would go all wiggy on Han and Leia?

Uh...Is that a rhetorical question?:p Seriously though, I was defintely thinking-'What the heck?' when Alema went postal on them.

I'm counting on Jagged Fel to shake Jaina to her senses [face_love] Or maybe kiss her to her senses :*

My thoughts exactly!

3. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

ok...my take on tjk.

denning did a good job on writing the book but as for some of the characters.....eh He def. hit Han and Leia on the spot and Mara and Luke wer good too. What really bugs me is what he did to Jag. I can understand what happened sorta. He def lightened up in the NJO books but that was mainly around people he knew so in some situations i can understand dennings reasoning to the personality change but still I miss the old Jag :(

the Jaina/Zekk thing is also...weird. Like when i read DJ I was like 'ok Zekk you're offcially on my bad list.' The fact that he's sharing a mind with Jaina is really bothering me. He seems so...idk what the right word would be but something along the lines of a creep sneaky and obsesive. def obsesive.

jags_gurl -I know I'm one of many when I say I don't like the Zekk/Jaina relationship AT ALL. It was very clear to me that Zekk is still "in love" or, my impression, obsessed with Jaina and wanting her to fall in love with him. I was especially above and beyond creeped out when they were "discussing" Jaina's relationship with Jag, and I believe Zekk said "We are so over him."

I completly agree with this. Completly.

The one thing i realized (of course being me) after reading the book was that it takes place FIVE YEARS after the NJO. I my opinion it will be kinda weird to put Jaina a Jag together after that long but i suppose denning (he prob. set the timeframe) had a reason. It had better be good.

As soon as I saw it was in the unknown regions i was like "yes! Jaina and Jag are gonna be back together" Denning in my line of thought is def. going to put the J/J back together just b/c of the fact of the setting.

TKeira_Lea- I'm counting on Jagged Fel to shake Jaina to her senses Or maybe kiss her to her senses [face_love]

Yea hopefully! It would be like sleeping beauty and it would be really romantic.

Hopefully when the last book comes out the dec. 27., we'll get our happy ending!

ok I'm done!

E

N

D

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

4. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    BEWARE: SPOILERS AHEAD

I wholeheartedly agree. If they were still together there would probably have been a wedding or maybe even a kid. I for one would like to know what happened.

I hope Denning tells us in the 2nd book. I don't know if I can wait until December for the third book to know.

5. JediJainaSoloFel

Jun 5, 2004
    SPOILER SPACE!

Well, he did say that Jag and Jaina did manage to have a few of those rendezvous before they drifted apart. I'm guessing that Jaina was beginning to get wrapped up in whatever it was that was bothering her (the call of the Joiners) and Jag (being the perfect soldier that he is) kept getting promoted to the point where he wasn't being sent to the GFFA as much.

I just hope that by the end of the 3rd book that they're back together.

6. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

:) And I absolutely agree with your assessment as well, TKL! I love Saba in this, she's a far more sympathetic character and very funny! Its the first time I've been drawn to her character in this way.

As for Jag "shaking Jaina to her senses" - that's just it. I think there's plenty of room for him to come charging along in his shining clawcraft to save her. I can think of a few scenarios for that to happen - and as a bonus, Jag could gain Han's total approval for doing so ('cause Han is totally repulsed by all the bug-hugging). Jag's growing concern (and/or "revulsion") at the end give me the feeling that "the old Jag", the one who was softening up and showing his Antilles/Corellian side may be re-emerging. That sense hit hpme for me when it was noted that he "vigorously" fought for Lowie's release. That's 'our' Jag!! We know he used his command to support H/L/L/M in their efforts, and I suspect he pushed the limits of that inside the CEDF without their (or our) knowledge.

Am I being TOO romantic or having delusions of grandeur?? [face_love]

When Zekk said, "We are so over him" - I agree, JG - that was Zekk talking. *SHIVERS* However, when the last comm call with Jag was cut off, Jaina and Zekk "...turned away, the same crestfallen expression on both their faces." Now THAT read to me as Jaina's response. Turning away from Jag was hard for her to do. Zekk was along for the ride at that moment, creepy as it sounds.

Did I mention that I hate bugs?? :p

I also have a funny feeling about little Ben. In the back of my mind, I wonder if he isn't going to play a part in resolving this mess. Denning has gone to some lengths to describe Ben and his odd relationship with the Force. [face_thinking]

**Re-reading TJK and waiting for September**

Cheers,
    oldj

P.S. Did you catch the Indiana Jones reference on page 38? LOL! [face_laugh]

7. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

ojn: That sense hit hpme for me when it was noted that he "vigorously" fought for Lowie's release. That's 'our' Jag!!

Oh the old Jag was definitely there.

P.S. Did you catch the Indiana Jones reference on page 38? LOL!

Also Saba repeating Anakin's (Skywalker that is )complaint from the Clone Wars about there was no fun in using thermal detonators.

Wildcat: They'll be together ;) I just Fee-l it [face_love]

Lola: I hope Denning tells us in the 2nd book. I don't know if I can wait until December for the third book to know.

Unfortunately I think Denning likes torturing us by dribbling out the truth. We won't know everything until the end of the third book. Even then we might have plenty of holes to fill in with our fanfic. :D

goddess: What really bugs me is what he did to Jag. I can understand what happened sorta. He def lightened up in the NJO books but that was mainly around people he knew so in some situations i can understand dennings reasoning to the personality change but still I miss the old Jag

I miss my Jag but I'm hoping for more and more of him to come. And maybe a bit of Jag POV in the next books ;)

8. JediJainaSoloFel

Jun 5, 2004
    This message may contain spoilers

You goofball! I Fee-l it too. Or maybe it has something to do with being Yodaed with your whuppin' stick until I come to realize the truth. I have now been beaten so many times that I no longer doubt that they will be together:p

Unfortunately, I agree with you about the Denning thing. He's gonna torture us till the very end of the third book. And that will be additional torture on me because you know that I feel the call to write fill-in-the-blank fan fiction.

9. JediJainaSoloFel

Jun 5, 2004
    I feel like an idiot for following myself, but I wanted to revive this thread to ask this question.

How do you think Jacen and Jaina's relationship has been affected by the events preceding and during TJK? Do you think that their issues had anything to do with the reason Jag and Jaina grew apart?

10. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I do think it is a contributing factor. The Solo/Skywalker clan went through several life altering events. Instead of staying with his family, he leaves. That is just stupid, in my opinion. They already lost one son, then the other goes off on some quest. I find it selfish. Jaina probably felt kind of abandoned by him. I know I would. How can she count on a relationship if the one that is suppose to be the closest to her is off on some quest? That's just how I see it anyways.

11. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I would have to agree.

12. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Hello all . . . hope you don't mind someone generally known for being a K/Jer posting here . . .

SPOILERS SORT OF . . .

Alright, so I finished reading TJK last night and was just SO angry at the way it ended (the whole creepy bug mind thing and the J/Z . . . like many have been saying). I went to bed angry, dreamt about the book, and then woke up angry!

I was feeling very concerned about this, having terrible thoughts that Jaina will remain a Joiner (although rationally, I'm sure that's not likely, but one can panic, right?). I'm also entirely uncomfortable with the notion of Jaina/Zekk and am worried that this might continue after the trilogy (in which case, I will cry).

However, reading some of the ideas discussed here has helped me feel a little better . . . the point made about Denning teasing the fans with J/Z, making it more satisfying when J/J becomes re-estblished does make a lot of sense. I certainly hope that is the case, because I am not happy about Zekk at all. Nothing truly against the man, but he should not be with Jaina. In the book, there was a comment about Zekk sharing the feelings Jaina still had for Jag through the hive-mind thing, and then at the end Jaina wanted to speak to Jag, so these bits give me hope. I think perhaps that Zekk's presence during that conversation could very likely have been to irk us readers (as was mentioned) - and also serves to illustrate (another point that was brought up) how unaware Jaina and the others are of how the hive mind has affected them.

(While I enjoy K/J in fanfic, I'm realistic enough to know that it's unlikely to happen in profic - as well, I adore Jag Fel as a character and would very much like to see him and Jaina reunite).

I'm not sure what to think yet, but I am hoping that Denning "redeams" himself with the next two books (or at least the third).

END OF SPOILERS

I really needed to post that . . . I've spent the whole day with my non-SW-fan co-workers (well, SW book fans anyway) and had nobody to discuss this with :(

~Abby~

13. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Hi, Abby :D

Spoilers below!

As for Jaina being a joiner I wouldn't worry too much about it. For one, the Taat told Jaina and Zekk that they had to leave at the end of the book. Also, based on what Denning said in his interview the other night, I think he is of the mind that Jaina is far more indepedent of the hive than most readers believe or understand her to be.

Unfortunately, based on that same interview, I get the impression that Denning is enjoying that everyone is in a bit of a stew 8-} So I expect a bit more of that with the next book...

14. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    LOL, TKL

I'll admit to definitely being in a bit of a stew - staying up late to finish the book (when I get up for work at 430am) - then going to bed angry about it, was probably not the best idea.

I hadn't realized Denning did an interview - do you have a link for it?

~Abby~

15. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Sure, here's the link

http://www.swendirect.com/archives.htm

16. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    There are obviously spoilers in my post, but since the thread title warns for them, I'm going to stop leaving spaces and such.

I mean who'd have ever imagined Alema would go all wiggy on Han and Leia?

Me ;) Sorry, I just really don't like her . . .

I wasn't at all happy about Jaina, but in Zekk's defense, though the whole 'our boyfriend' thing was the creepiest part of the book, when he says "Yeah, we're so over him" I think that he is just echoing Jaina's wishes. Pretend he's a girl about 25 years old who wants to convince everyone, including herself, that she isn't in love with her ex. Because Zekk is sort of a part of Jaina's mind now, I think that that particular bit of dialouge was influenced by her, and not the other way around.

I miss the Jag that told Jaina that he wanted to get carried away in RS and confessed his love in FH3. It looks like he's back to his icy self. And I thought it was really insensetive for Leia to menion to the Hapan guy that Jag almost became her son-in-law. Though Han's wishes that "Jaina had just married Jag Fel" were nice, even though I;m sure he just preferred that to her becoming a bug. And speaking of bugs, what was with all the references to his piror experience? Was that something I missed, or is TD just aking things up?

I haven't read SBS in a long time (like, only once after it came out because I was upset about Anakin) but I think I remember Jaina knowing that Zekk had feelings for her but she didn't return them. She tought about Jag, though she noted that she would be old if she waited for him. Still, I think that Denning is J/J instead of J/Z.

How do you think Jacen and Jaina's relationship has been affected by the events preceding and during TJK? Do you think that their issues had anything to do with the reason Jag and Jaina grew apart?

Well, no one has seen Jacen for 5 years (makes me wonder if he would have made an appearence in those years if there had been a really special occasion, like if Jaina had married Jag or something) but Jaina mentioned being annoyed that it felt like he was looking over her shoulder sometimes. I think that they grew apart during the war, and by the end of TJK there is so much seperating them (different issues with the Force and the Vong, Anakin's death, the loss of friends, the 5 years apart) that they won't ever be quite as close as they were before the war.

18. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004

I can't remember which one it is in, but the bug incident occured in one of the Han Solo Adventures books by Brian Daley - they're older, published in 1979 and 1980, but you can still buy copies. The one I have has all three books in one.

~Abby~

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, I have that!! I just never read it because I thought it wasn't important. *sighs* Well, THAT came back to bite me--and I never finished the trilogy with Akanah, either, and when she was mentioned I wished that I had.

20. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    LOL, well, there have been a few things mentioned from those books from time to time . . . there's a droid in them named Bullox, and (although I'm not sure which book it was in, possibly something NJO), Han saw a droid the thought might have been Bullox.

Don't think they're tooo *important*, but they're decent reads :) The other Han Solo trilogy (can't recall the author right now, but the ones with Bria Tharen, etc) has two books that take place before these three, and then the third picks up after. :)

~Abby~

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    You didn't miss much with Akanah. Pretty much all she does is maniupulate Luke into thinking his mother was one of her people. Her group, the Fall......I haven't a clue on spelling, do these illusions. That's about it.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Fallanassi. I think I just missed what happens at the end when Luke finds out--I was near the beginning of the third book when I stopped.

Yeah, I did read those. Actually, I think Han takes off in the 3rd one after the Salla thing and it mentions that time went by, and the books take place then A.C. Crispen? I'm too lazy to look :p

And back to something Jaina and Jag related . . . :p ;)

Anyone got a clue about the Fel family crisis (and yes, I say crisis because Denning just bad a bad situation worse with about three paragraphs 8-} )

And what's the release date of the second book? I know that the 3rd is December 27th.

23. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah, I wasn't terribly crazy about that trilogy, either . . .

~Abby~

24. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    September 27th :), and book 3 is supposed to be November 29th.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    YES!!!! Really? Earlier in the thread people were talking about December 27 . . . maybe they were just cunfuzzled . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.