main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Conference Room (A Jaina and Jag Discussion Thread) FOTJ: OMEN now out - what's next for J/J?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaina_Jag_Index, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_Jade_Fel

Jaina_Jade_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2008

[face_laugh] Yep, he was pretty bad and awesome in that scene. I don't know if it was just me, but I could have imagined one of the 'rouge'ish Jedi jumping up and saying "ohhhh...YOU GOT OWNED!BUUUURN!!HAH!" when Jag finished. :p

2. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    The Dark Tide books are the only NJO books I don't own. So sad!!! But I did like that part. And later when Jag calls Jaina immature...bad move, buddy. Especially to the woman who becomes the love of your life.

I forgot about Force Heretic. My favorite moment is actually not the conference room - I love the moment in the third book, when Jag professes, cameras and all, that he loves Jaina (for the first time). Then when she wakes up - "her smile told him that she felt the same" or something like that. awwwww But there are so many good moments. I scourged the entire series trying to find the part in "Tahiri's book" (before TUF), where Han is describing Jaina and Jag being inseparable, walking on the beach, looking for sea shells. I love that image! Plus, when Leia tells Han that the only reason he doesn't like Jag is because he doesn't want to admit there is someone else in the galaxy with reflexes as fast (and possibly faster) than his.

3. Jaina_Jade_Fel

Aug 4, 2008
    Ahhhh....good times, good times.:p

Grrrrrrrrr....it's this type of reminising that makes me want cry about the fact that they broke them up.:mad: And pray for a make-up!!!![face_praying]

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I believe that last one is in FH2.

Lots of stuff got said, so I'll just say this - I've always pictured Jaina as 5'0 or 5'1. And I don't think she could have grown much post-YJK; girls generally stop growing (that is, getting taller) when they're 14/15 or a bit younger.

MF is two years post-LOTF? :( Too much time passed, so much to cover. And I'm with those who think that it'll mostly be H/L-centric, with Jaina really appearing in the next 9-book series (and I hope Ben get a characterization switch, because he was annoying the entire 9 books of the LOTF. Okay, maybe not the first, but honestly, fourteen-year-olds are not mature enough to be considered adults. I shoud know, I live with one. And Luke treating Ben as more mature than Jaina? I hated that :( ).

5. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I hope Ben becomes more like Qui Gon. And as for Jaina...well, I think it's pretty obvious she's going to be the founder of the Imperial Knights. But I hope no rift formed between her and Ben. Let the rift be between Ben and Jag with Jaina and Ben's girl( whoever she's going to be) being the ones who don't like it.

6. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007
    Over in the J/J index, it says to post here with any plot bunnies, and there's a story I tried to write myself but didn't get very far at, so I thought I'd try posting the idea here and see if anyone else would like to have a go instead.

If anyone particularly wants to see the 2,000 words or so that I wrote, I'll happily email it to you, but it's not like I expect anyone to stick to exactly the scenario I'd thought out, I'm happy for it to just provide inspiration.

It's a time travel fic, in which Jaina, Jag, Kyp and optionally the rest of Twin Suns (from the Rebel Stand / Rebel Dream era) travel back in time to when Han, Wedge and the Rogues & Wraiths were involved in the fight against Zsinj.

The way I wrote it, the time travellers arrived unconscious, and were rescued by Han & the rest, who saw their advanced X-Wings and clawcraft, as well as the lightsabers, and were majorly confused; however, I wouldn't require anybody else to write it the same way if they preferred a different beginning.

The plot could be either a serious one with major battles and a fight to change history / stop it being changed, or alternatively a light-hearted one focused on characterisation and fun.

Some possible elements to consider: Han learning about his daughter (and that she's dating the son of Baron Fel); Wedge and the other pilots learning about Twin Suns', shall we say, unconventional command structure and methods of fighting; optional problems of two Wraiths being duplicated; Wedge meeting his nephew years before he should know about his existence; everyone being used to calling Jaina 'goddess' and it slipping out (perhaps making Han think it was a pet name and that the person was dating Jaina); discussion of the fact that Jaina has inherited the family traits, including finding trouble everywhere she goes.

7. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007

And I've just remembered there's *another* J/J story I started but didn't get very far with, and it was an idea I really liked, so I hope somebody here might be inspired...

In an AU where the Empire rules, Jaina's the heir to the throne - and a Rebel. The Emperor/Empress (a Skywalker or Solo) has captured her, and still wishes her to one day rule, and is thus trying to convert her to the Dark Side. Jag Fel is an Imperial officer heading up the staff assigned to her - to both protect and serve her, and imprison her.

My only requirement is that Jag's behaviour towards Jaina should be appropriately confusing: ie he both treats her as a princess (bowing etc) and regards her as a traitor.

8. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Oh gosh, I like that last one!! Someone take it so I don't have to! I have way too much on my plate as it is...

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Lanta gave me permission to write it, but it would be so totally cool if someone else did as well :D

10. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Did everyone see this announcement on the new contract?
    Wonder is this series will give us our much anticipated J/J union?[face_thinking] Or if DR will keep us hanging for a few more years...[face_tired]

11. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Yeah, lets hope they have Christie Golden finish the series instead of Troy Denning. If he does the last book again, you just know he'll leave something major hanging. Though, it'll probably go Allston - Golden - Denning. Allston and Denning have a good rhythm going, so they'll probably put the new author in the middle, like they did with Traviss. They also listed it Allston, Golden, Denning; I doubt that was an accident.

Does the title Outcast sound a bit like Exile? Aren't both titles by Aaron Allston. Jag can't be the outcast this time---not when he's Grand Moff. Maybe it will involve Zekk somehow (because, despite the fact that Denning likes to make characters disappear, Allston usually brings them back). Or maybe it ties in to MF. However, my first impression upon reading the title name was "Wait - didn't Timothy Zahn do something like that?" But then I remembered Zahn's novel was called Outbound Flight.

Oh - maybe Jaina's the outcast?

12. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I agree with you, Darkwriter. It makes me shudder to think Denning could be the one wrapping up the arc, he has been leaning too many loose ends among other things...:rolleyes:

I wondered if the Outcast might be Luke and/or Ben? They are supposed to be off on their own during MF. Unless I dreamed that.:p

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    the first multi-book Star Wars series to be published all in hardcover

**** I mean, seriously? All hardcover? We are not made of money, DelRey. This makes me even more want to start getting the books from the library rather than buy them, which I haven't done in years. But they're too short, too annoying, and too expensive.

I think it probably will be golden in the middle. It's a bit like TV show opening credits - the veteran actors get the first and last spots.

14. Jaina_Jade_Fel

Aug 4, 2008
    Thats exactly what I thought when I read that. :mad: UGH! That means my parents are less likely to buy them!! (wow, that sounded spoiled [face_blush]) I just hate loaning SW books from the library. They never have them and I like being able to look back at books i've already read. I'll have to STOP buying CDs and START doing things for my parents to earn money. :rolleyes: hopefully the'll space them out so I can REBOUND.

But [face_dancing] for the new novels!! Ooooo...Jaina the outcast? That would be interesting. [face_thinking]

15. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Nat - they will start out listed as $27.00, or some other insane price. Then by release time you'll probably be able to get it for 12.00 to 13.00 - depending on which place you get it from. Plus it helps to order online with other stuff so you get free shipping. When I bought Coruscant Nights II I was shocked that paperbacks were going at $7.99.[face_worried] They are making it hard to be a good fan.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Don't worry, they'll space them out. Probably three books a year for three years. And yeah, those are the reasons I buy them.

If I can get them at Borders for 40% off, that's only 16, but it's really expensive for 300 pages. So is $800 - I can get better books with a bigger page count for the same price (or less, on a really good day). I realize that it's the standard price for paperbacks, but some paperbacks go for the same price but with 500 more pages!

17. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    That they're doing all of the books in hardbacks. I'm sure you guys already know this, but normally, books come out hardback first because the publishers think they'll do well enough that they can republish them in paperback, and so on. Most well known authors, like Meg Cabot, J.K. Rowling, or Stephenie Meyer, not to mention to NY Times Bestselling Authors, have their books always come out hardback first, then resell them in paper back. Of course, authors who aren't very well known skip selling them in hardback, because that's too risky.

Star Wars has always been the exception. I don't know the rational for selling only some star wars novels in hardbacks and some in paperbacks. But the fact that they're doing the whole series in hardback is revolutionary, and also means that star wars novel sales (at least in the Legacy era), are doing extremely well. We might groan about the prices, but inevitably, ironically, most hard core star wars fans don't have the patience to wait for paperbacks to come out.

But isn't it really cool - that last year, TWO Star Wars books made the #1 best seller on the NY Times Bestseller list? I was hyped when I found Revelation there.

18. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    I think the Outcast is probably Jaina. Jag wound up the Exile because of Jaina and the rest of the Joiner Jedi, so there's some parallel.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I wasn't, because I was so disappointed with this series, and really everything from the last couple years. And yeah, I know, the raelly popular ones come out in hardcover . . . but they also don't come out three times a year. Most authors who are in the middle of a series get one published each year. It's a bit easier on the wallet.

20. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    I'm still excited about the books. In a few days, I get to start the countdown (from a month). I can't wait to see what Luceno does with the book. I think all the progress has been for the better; there has definitely been some good character change. I actually like the way Jag and Jaina have turned out. I think they're deeper characters, with real dilemmas, at an age more appropriate for a "Star Wars marriage." It makes me proud to see how they've grown.

That said, I had a couple fan fic ideas...

post-LOTF, Jag is playing Grand Moff or Admiral or whatever. Somehow, Soontir and the Fels make a trip to see him, surprising him. Jaina happens to be there, too, perhaps with a Jedi team, perhaps not (Valin, Ben,...and her new apprentice?). However, she DOES have Allana/Amelia with her, and Soontir or another Fel makes the wrong assumption. He thinks, "She's old enough, it's possible; she has dark hair, like a Fel, and Solo features..." It would be interesting to see the conclusion Soontir draws, and the way he approaches the situation.

Another idea is that Jaina and Jag ARE the ones who had the child during DN, instead of Jacen and Jaina. Don't ask me how. Maybe they're married, or maybe they're naughty like Jacen. The writer could start from that point, or start from LOTF, or post-LOTF. Maybe Jaina doesn't tell Jag about the child---because he seems to hate her guts. That would lead the story to LOTF, where she has to confront Jag again. If the writer wanted to start in DN, then perhaps Jaina confronts Jag about the child right away. Maybe Zekk finds out and confronts him. The possibilities are endless. These are just my thoughts.

21. Jaina_Jade_Fel

Aug 4, 2008
    Nice! i like those ideas!!=D= Exspecially the one with Soontir and Syal making the wrong assumption!![face_laugh] Of course it wouldn't have to be funny. ;) Too bad I don't have the time, cause those give me my own ideas, none of which are anywhere near like what you just said (trust me, they're mostly NJO). My brain works in weird ways.:p

Anyways, I didn't think it was only about a month. I was anticipating buying the Force Unleashed game, but I might just wait. [face_thinking] And your right Jag and Jaina have really grown, as character anyway. :p

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    And yet they still get treated like children (especially Jaina) by Luke etc. :(

23. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Hey, we should all keep our eyes open for new news. (heehee...no pun intended) I still can't figure out how to work the new star wars website properly.

24. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    ^^ I am so glad I'm not the only one! It really stinks and is so hard to navigate. What where they thinking?[face_frustrated]

25. Jaina_Jade_Fel

Aug 4, 2008
    everyone's playing into the 'clone wars' train.:rolleyes: I'm okay with it (not the website, that stinks) but have they ever heard of 'generation neutral'? (i know thats not what it's called, but i think you guys get my meaning.:D )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.