Characters The Conference Room (A Jaina and Jag Discussion Thread) FOTJ: OMEN now out - what's next for J/J?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaina_Jag_Index, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. grossmandg144 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    they should have made a NJO every game period. You could have had a badass action like TFU game. Or a cool x-wing type starfighter game which featured NR, Imperial, Chiss, and Hapan ships against vong would have been great. Especially if they included a level on the fall of Coruscant in SbS. The sheer ferocity of the vong tactics would have made this an awesome level, and if they took a cue from Call of Duty and had your playable character die during this mission would be awesome.
  2. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Ultimately, I'd say yes. If they weren't, why put Jaina and Jag back together? He could have easily been written off in the Dark Nest Trilogy. If they wanted to still keep him as head of the Empire, they could have done that without Jaina. The entire Unification Summit has been ignored. It seems like a convenient way to keep Jag around Jaina. The latest development seems more like a pathetic and annoying attempt to create tension and drama.
  3. Ceillean Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As much as I don't like what the authors are doing to Jag and Jaina at the moment, the reason for their break-up isn't all that far fetched. They could have done it differently, of course but it does make sense.

These are two very different people in two very different situations.
    I think Jaina knew she had to take that step because she knew she would keep asking him for favors. She's with the Jedi, he's with the Remnant. Something's got to change for them to stay together.

4. Darth_Lex Jedi Master

star 4
    The problem isn't that the reason is far-fetched; the problem is that it's the same reason the authors have used repeatedly before. The lack of creativity is just astounding. Either come up with a different reason for a break-up, or write something different than a break-up. As it stands, the authors just look incredibly lazy.

But that conflicting-duties dilemma was true during the NJO and during Dark Nest, too. We've been down this road before, and it's boring -- and lazy storytelling -- at this point.

Worse, during LOTF they finally had created a situation where J/J could be together -- Jaina was a Jedi, Jag was a free agent -- but then in literally the last pages of book nine, with no setup and no foreshadowing, they threw Jag into the position of Imperial Head of State. So they manufactured a reason to continue the conflicting-duties dilemma, which they had already solved during the series. It really makes no sense -- unless their goal was to torment the characters and torment the readers just for the sake of being sadistic. o_O

Which is exactly the reason to write the change rather than write the breakup. We're long past the time to move on from the conflicting-duties dilemma, and actually get some character development from these two instead of just the same lazy character rehash. :mad:
  5. melino Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great points by everyone! I love hearing everyone else's thoughts and ideas on the books because my friends and family do not understand my obsession with the books! For them Star Wars are movies and that's it...I have tried to convert them to no avail :)

I have just got myself caught up on the latest goings on as I patiently wait for the next book to be released at the end of the month. I have to say that I put off reading Allies up until this week once I heard about the J/J breakup. I was so very disappointed in Canon that I couldn't bring myself to read it. However I decided that there must be some reason some purpose to have broken them up AGAIN, so I read it. I'm still disappointed but I?m hoping that Vortex and the subsequent books bring an explanation/resolution.

Fingers crossed that Vortex makes me feel a little better! (But I?m not counting on it)
  6. TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight

star 5
    Luckily places like this remind us that we're not alone as crazy EU fans even when our family looks at us like we're loco.

Yeah, you can see how excited the Indexers were about Allies, we didn't even update the current book title in the thread header :p

Um, if you're really curious there are spoilers available at other sites *looks down at sig*
  7. TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight

star 5
    Vortex is out. Spoiler rules apply, but there might be some Jaina fans smiling.

Yes? No? Is everyone still nervous that things won't stick.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.