main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Confession Scene-is it the best?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SithSorceress, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithSorceress

SithSorceress Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I've read a lot of posts echoing my thoughts that the confession scene, pulled off so hauntingly by Hayden, and complimented well by Natale, was the best scene in the movie, dramatically, anyway.

I happen to consider it the best of all the SW movies, followed closely Han being frozen in carbonite, "I am your father", and Luke watching his fathers' armor burn.

Anyone agree with me?

2. Darth_Flange

Darth_Flange Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    Its the darkest scene. But I'll tell you in ten years what I really think ;)

3. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    no. there were SEVERAL ways this scene couldve gone, and Lucas chose the worst one. And Padme's completely inappropriate response does not help. sorry.

at least YOU liked it, and thats all that counts.

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think the hallowed status of the OT is the only thing keeping a lot of people from saying that its the best scene ever.

I'll say this... it was as well acted and powerful a scene and the saga has ever had.

5. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well... I still think that it doesn't quite match some of the moments in the OT. Such as:

Vader's demasking
    Luke I am your Father
    Yoda raising the Xwing from the Swamp

However, I do hold this scene in high esteem and it is one of my favorites overall. Certainly, I think, the best in AOTC.

6. Darth_Flange

Jun 17, 2002
    I don't think its the best scene for one reason. Just before hand Padme asks Anakin "What wrong?"
    Sweet Jesus, and this girl was queen. Nah, its just bad writing on Lucas's part.
    He just buried his murdered mother, what the hell do you thinks wrong.
    Or Maybe Padme sensed something darker.
    Ah who the hell knows, I hate over anaylising.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Padme knew there was more wrong than just Anakin's mother dying. I knew there would be people who missed that, and I was right.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    LOL!
    I think, but maybe I'm just being an apologist, that she was sensing something other than the grief over this mother when she said 'what's wrong'

9. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I just had a thought. Maybe what were debating here is not so much a matter of OPINION as it is a matter of DIMINISHED STANDARDS. Think Ill make this my theme for the next week.

10. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Dahveed, out of curiousity, how do you think it should have been done? no sarcasm here-I mean it.

As for the Whats wrong line- I thought that was stupid too, thenn I found out that the line was supposed to be
    "Anakin, what's wrong?"

"I just told you!"

"N, what's really wrong?"

It's just clumsy editing.

11. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I think the scene is the best because it's the only scene that I recall that had the audience gasping with shock. Oh, maybe Vader's revealing he was Luke's father was a surprise, but this confession scene went a step beyond that.

12. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Wow, I love all these responses-this is my second post-thanks for having pity.

13. Darth_Flange

Jun 17, 2002
    Knight Writer, I hope you don't think I missed anything, because how you read a scene is an OPINION, not fact. You are acting like a "know it all", and they piss me off.

Still, it was a good scene, and it was only the second time I saw AOTC that that particular line "whats wrong" annoyed me. If you think she senses darker things, then fine, but she delivers it quite poorly so its hard to tell.

14. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I knew what was going to happen, but the way it was shot and acted it still had a big impact for me. I only wouldnt put it as the best scene in the saga, because I choose scenes where something positive happens, ala Luke turning down the Emperor, which has always been my favourite. But the confession is the best acted scene in Star Wars, and has one of the biggest impacts.

15. Miiike

Miiike Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2001
    I agree with Sithsorceress; I would like to hear the other ways that the scene could have been done that are all better than the chosen one. As for the scene, I thought it was great and one of the best in SW. As someone else mentioned, as is my entire view of the PT, give me a few years to decide what is best.

16. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Darth Flange, you know, you may be right there. I think Natalie was a little upstaged by Hayden in this scene, and her lines didn't come off as well as they might have.

17. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    As someone who actually saw the "I am your father" thing without knowing about it beforehand, the dialogue in AOTC was much more dramatic. With the "I am your father" thing it was just like 'huh? He's probably lying'. It kind of felt like a real revelation later in the film, when Vader spoke to Luke but it just didn't have the same impact as the AOTC scene.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Knight Writer, I hope you don't think I missed anything, because how you read a scene is an OPINION, not fact

Not in this case, really. It's pretty much a fact that Padme sensed something deeper than just Shmi dying.

19. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    no. there were SEVERAL ways this scene couldve gone, and Lucas chose the worst one. And Padme's completely inappropriate response does not help. sorry.

Ah, Dahveed, only you could be so bold. I recognized your foul post when I was brought on board this thread.

20. Darth_Flange

Jun 17, 2002
    "Not in this case, really. It's pretty much a fact that Padme sensed something deeper than just Shmi dying."

Prove this then, wonder child ;)

21. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    "Not in this case, really. It's pretty much a fact that Padme sensed something deeper than just Shmi dying."

Prove this then, wonder child

The fact she asked what was wrong isnt enough? [/rolls eyes]

22. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I love the scene. I'm not sure it's the best -- for me, it'd be really hard to beat some of the big ROTJ moments, and while this scene is a pivotal one, some of the others are more so. But it's still right up there. Some amazing acting from Hayden.

(As for the "What's wrong" line, I thought it made sense...Anakin was railing about Obi-Wan being jealous and holding him back, and I think that Padme knew that wasn't what Anakin was really concerned about at that point. Something else was wrong. She just wanted to know what was really going on with him. My two cents anyway.)

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I have to say that this line by Anakin was certainly the most chilling, haunting, and foretelling line of any of the films to date.

24. Darth_Flange

Jun 17, 2002
    No, thats what I mean. She asks in a way that she doesn't know why Anakin is upset. It really means that she doesn't seem to sense anything darker. I implied this in my second post, before anyone else brought it up, but commented that Natalie doesn't deliver the line with enough emotion.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    She has no clue that something else happened beyond Anakin rescuing his mother. Padmé knows that Anakin is a bit of a live wire, but at this point she thinks of him as incapable of such horrible deeds. I believe she was totally caught off guard yet she felt a certain degree of sympathy for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.