main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Confession Scene-is it the best?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SithSorceress, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    "can you believe the stupidity of the above quote? Do the Gushers in here actually agree with this? wow."

dahveed72, as you are referring to my statement i made thus i see this above quote you made as flaming. just cuz its not yer opinion then this does not make it stupid- it makes you look obnoxious (and repetitive- that becomes boring). I stated my opinion a few posts before that and i'm not going to repeat myself (HINT HINT!!!). But it seems pointless telling you opinions as you are oblivious to others opinions i.e. its like talking to a brick wall. Grow up and stop going around calling peoples opinions stupid and labelling them gushers cuz they like the film. Thats moronic.

2. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Dahveed,

Although I may agree with you that Lucas has problems with subtlety, I do not think these scenes were poorly filmed or acted. Quite the contrary.

Hayden Christensen is the closest thing to method acting Star Wars has ever seen, not counting Ian McDiarmid. These scenes caused snickering by immature individuals because they are dramatic, not poor. These same idiots would laugh at most of the dialog of "Amistad" if they were watching it in a room with 6 of their friends. It's a collective dumbness theory. The more adult people you place in a room together, the more they revert to childish behavior.

I am not a gusher, but I did thoroughly enjoy AOTC. I don't believe the aforementioned scenes warrant Oscar nominations. I did enjoy them, however. I may not have beleived them, but I did enjoy them. They are a small part of a greater whole that still has more imagination to it than most of what Hollywood churns out these days.

3. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    People laughed during the Confession Scene? Good God.

4. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

Grow up and stop going around calling peoples opinions stupid and labelling them gushers cuz they like the film. Thats moronic.

youre right. sorry.

5. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Only_2, well-posted.

6. Darth-Arkie

Darth-Arkie Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2002
    Im new here but this thread grabbed my attention enough to post in.

IMO the scene wasn't all that great. It just seemed forced to me. In a way it is like the entire love affair between Anakin and Padme. For some reason I get the feeling that these two are barely friends let along budding lovers. Certainly not enough for Padme to look past the not so minor detail of Anakin killing an entire village and not really caring about it. I'll tell you up front that I have only watched the movie once. I just can't see myself paying more money to watch it again when I can watch something new. I want to watch it again but I just don't see the point except for seeing the specical effects. I came out of the movie and felt like it could have been done better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a movie maker myself but I feel that Lucus maybe should have let someone else direct the movie. I can still watch ESB after all these years and still feel some excitment. But AOTC seemed like everyone was going through the motions in order to get it over with.

Anyway, that's just how I felt about it.

7. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    This actually is getting interesting now, so I'll add some thoughts to the mix.

The confession scene. In my opinion this was one of those great moments in Star Wars. Here you have a padawan who is unstable giving in to his temptation to find out why it is his Mother is haunting his dreams. He goes back, finds her new home and discovers that she has been abducted. He finds her, but she is already dead, only holding on to her life because she wants to see him or at least someone she loves one last time.

At this moment a million emotions ranging from grief to despair and finally anger course through him. He acts on the final feeling without hesitiation, throwing away his lessons and killing every Tusken he can find and then he returns with her body. Had his fall been complete, perhaps he would have said nothing about it but he knew he had to tell someone just clear his conscience, so he picked the one closest to him.

His confession is important because we see everything that is wrong with Anakin. Instability, immaturity, lust for power, a need for love, and even him taking pleasure in his act to a certain degree. It's all there and Anakin is out there showing it openly to her, but why?

Examples of this exist in entertainment actually. Perhaps some of you are familiar with Rurouni Kenshin? This is a show that plays out in a fashion similarly to what we see here, and may shed some light on things due to it's far greater than two hours to explain things.

Himura Kenshin is a boy who is trained in an art of samurai swordsmanship that is incredibly deadly and far surpasses all other schools on the subject. It is only supposed to be used for justice and to defend the common man, but Kenshin gets the ideal that his gift could and should be used to not only defend the people, but change the world so that innocents are no longer abused. He sees a government (In this case the RL feudal Tokugawa Shogunate) that is corrupt and goes about changing it, using his skills as an assasin for a clan that hopes to restore peace in Japan (ala Meiji Restoration or Emperial Restoration).

During this time, he kills untold hundreds of men involved the Shogunate government, some are samurai, some are not, but in his heart he believes it is all for the common good. The fiancee of one such person he kills, Tomoe tries to win his way into his heart to reap her revenge, but in the end she cannot do it. She sees him as a killer, but her perception alters as she sees other sides to him and the government her fiance fought for. An idealism for change, a passion for justice, a need to help others, all of these things are also a part of this man, and she eventually betrays her goals and falls in love with him.

In Padme I see the same things I see in Kenshin's Tomoe. He is a killer, but he is a Jedi and that is part of his job (Defender of the peace). He did something wrong, but she sees that as justice and a minor, human failing. He loves her and loves her so deeply that he would throw everything he has away for her. He is her protector and he, like her, is seeking change in the Republic even if the ideals for what that change is differ. She admires him for what he is and eventually fate and the arena makes her confess her feelings.

As far as the future of all this goes? If Kenshin is any example, Tomoe dies saving Kenshin and turns him from the path of murder. Who knows yet what will happen to Padme, and what impact this might have on Anakin.

8. SithSorceress

SithSorceress Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Only2-I completely agree!

Dahveed-Amazing! Youre sorry? Now i'm impressed. Quick!say something nasty or you'll ruin your image! ;)

Darth Arkie-Thank you for demonstrating that people can have different opinions and still be respectful of other people's opinions, and recognize that they are only OPINIONS.

Jar Jar-wow, thanx for the eloquent post!
    My friend who loves anime read it and is now in love with you. :D

Well, the same friend made me promise to tell everyone about her anime site. You can find it at http://clix.to/majesty

And this being my first post, I appriciate the intelligent responses. I appriciate the unintelligent responses, too!

9. padwanborderdispute

padwanborderdispute Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2002
    This is only my second post and I read all the other postings on this topic. The only thing I have to say is that it made me :_|.
    Now I am a guy and was not embrassed when my roommate leaned over and asked "Are you crying?" My response; "Yes, yes I am!"

10. EmperorHasNoClones

EmperorHasNoClones Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    The best scene is from ROTJ when Anakin saves his son, destroys the Emporor and restores balance to the force. The only scene as equally powerful is the confession scene. But the confession is powerfully sad, whereas I prefer the powerfully triumphant scene. Just MHO.

11. padme2852

padme2852 Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2002
    Whew! The last few posts have actually been uplifting! This is my first and last post in this thread. I'm fleeing as fast, far, and soon as possible. I'm very interested in the subject, but Dahveed has poisoned it for me (I got more and more tense each time I read one of his posts). I won't expose myself to Dahveed's verbal abuse (Sith, I think you haven't called him on some of his uncalled-for name-calling). It's fine to have different opinions, but I haven't found this degree of hostility in other JC threads. In fact, other threads have respect as a byword.

Dahveed, I agree with you on one thing -- you're definitely a jerk (at least you recognize it :). What is this need of yours to be top dog and insult people just because you don't agree with their opinion? What is this need to put down other people every time (with the exception of those who agree with you)? You write "no one is interested ..." and speak for "us." Who are these "no one and "us" for whom you're speaking? Who empowered you to speak for them/us? You speak as if you are GOD/GODDESS.

Please PM me if anyone wants to respond to my post.

12. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Awhile back right after I had got done seeing AotC I came and posted a thread about Hayden IMO having the best performance in all of SW. Strong words since you have the likes of Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmid, Harrison Ford, etc. But I felt he had the hardest role and handled it well.

Plus his performance with his mothers death and his confession kept sticking in my head. I kept seeing his face when he looked up with rage after his moms death and when he was looking at Padme with glazed rage filled eyes right after saying "I hate them!" When something like that sticks in your head and has that much of an impact you know you got yourself a great performance and a great scene. Last SW scene to have that impact was Vader's redemption.

I remember Hayden saying he couldnt wait to tackle Episode III because that's where the meat of Anakin's character lays. He clearly enjoys playing the moments when the darkside comes out in Anakin, just think of the performance he'll give in EpIII based on the Confession, I cant wait.

13. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Small point I'd like to make about people commenting on "The Love" between Ani/Padme.

Perhaps, (as has been said before), this is not love, rather Obsession on Ani's Part and the need to help and fix things (i.e. The Republic or in this case, Ani) on Padme's part.

This gives you a slightly different view on the scene, showing why Padme needs to know about the Tuskens and why she seems to "take it in her stride".

She see's he is "Hurt" and "broken" and she wants to "fix" him.

That's in the most Brutal terms of course.

And of course this is what causes the frictions and break up in EP3 (IMHO) that would not exist in a "True Love" relationship.

And I've heard snickering in Episode 2, but NEVER at this part. This is where the film "Kicks in", (When DOTF starts on Tatooine), for a lot of casual audiences and pulls them into the story. (after the "Masterbation" and the "Sound Of Music" guffaws.)

UKS

14. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I would say that both confessions scenes
    1. Confession of love by the fireplace
    2. Confession of slaugther in the garage
    are the most moving scenes in AOTC.

15. Jek-Porkins

Jek-Porkins Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm somewhat torn concerning my response to this thread. The content of the scene is very important. In EPII there are several scenes that hint of the darkness growing within Anakin and this is the most powerful. I actually got chills the first time I saw it. I only wish there was more of a build up to the scene. After viewing the scene several more times I began to be annoyed by the dry acting by Natalie. Could I have done better-No. Anyway, without going to much into how the scene was played, I feel that this was indeed and powerful plot point but it certainly won't win any awards. If I had to edit together a "greatest hits" of SW scenes, the scene with Anakin confessing would be one of them. /end senseless ramble

16. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I thought the Obi-Wan/Dooku scene was the best with this one being a close second.

I thought Hayden was good in the confession scene but Padme's (not Natalie) reaction should've shown more shock and surprise.

As far as raw emotion I agree...Hayden triumphed in that scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.