main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Consequence of Love" a USJS AU of Cali & Obi

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidolee, Mar 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    See? Look at this bite! *holds arm aloft for everyone to see nasty bite mark* Nasty bunny!

Anyway. *cough*

See, I was going to hold this story off so I could do GH, but it's pounding in my head and JMMJ persuaded me (you better read it then, girly!) :) This is a story about Cali and Obi-Wan in the USJS momentous thread, but it takes a bit of a different path from what is in the thread. Instead of running away when she suspected herself pregant, Cali finds out from a more reliable source, and has to face her problem in a different (any less dramatic? Probably not! [face_devil]) way.

The first posts may seem rough, and I feel sorry for you if you do not know the whole long saga about these two twerps. Hopefully, it won't be TOO bad [face_blush] I'm finding the rhythm in this story, so things will smoothe out a chapter or two down the road.

I'll quit babbling now and get this going before you all run off! :D

?The Consequence of Love?

Chapter One

A sweat had broken out on her brow as Cali-Ana Angli parried the hissing blade of Sifa Baladeen?s azure lightsaber blade. The sixteen-year-old girl grunted against the surprisingly powerful blow that the taller and older Padawan dealt. A dismayed frown crossed her face as she stepped back and danced warily around Sifa?s triumphant grin. When had the Padawan suddenly taken more enthusiasm for lightsaber dueling?

Sifa was generally unenthusiastic about the physical demands of Jedi training, and Cali had usually enjoyed pleasant katas exercises with the older girl, but after Jedi Master Mace Windu had severely scolded the girl prior to today?s lessons, she had buckled down and actually tried to slice?n?dice.

Cali-Ana was not a Jedi herself, but an exchange student that had fallen victim to Master Yoda?s bizarre scheme to teach Padawan?s about life outside of their Temple realm. As well, students from Coruscant or neighboring planets were allowed a term inside the Temple to learn the ways of the Jedi. She had never expected that to pertain to actually dueling against them.

Not that she minded so much. After a rocky start, she had come to love the Temple and the people in it, including the flamboyant Sifa Baladeen.

Cali bounced lightly on her feet and tossed her reddish ponytail over her shoulder before slashing at Sifa?s slender hips. The block was easily parried and Cali had to bring her blade up quick and fast to avoid being severed at the wrist.

?You?re actually trying today,? she complained to her adversary.

Sifa grinned, giving her black, curly head a toss. ?I don?t really want to take Jane?s duty away from her of scrubbing the cafeteria floor.?

Cali laughed, relieved for a brief break. The past two weeks had been spent mainly in bed, sick with the flu. Now, she was back in katas class, but she still had bouts of nausea. The mornings were the worst, when she might actually vomit. Generally, she didn?t actually retch, but there had been a few incidents last week. So far, this week had been fairly uneventful, even if she still felt light-headed at times.

?I think the Masters have permanently assigned Jane to the floors, so you?ll get something more creative,? Cali teased, risking a glance to the neighboring mat where Jane Jinn, another exchange student, was currently struggling to fend off Obi-Wan Kenobi?s brutal attack. The poor girl wouldn?t stand a chance against the eighteen-year-old Padawan. Obi-Wan was one of the most accomplished duelists at the Temple, which gave credit to his notorious Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.

A fond smile crossed her lips as Obi-Wan casually stepped aside Jane?s thrust and brought his own blue blade singing towards her. It was three months or so now that she and Obi-Wan had forged a deeper relationship than merely flirting friends. And one month since they had sealed a promise to each other.

?Cali!? Sifa hissed. ?Stop gawking at your significant other!?

?Sorry!? Cali blushed before grinning. Try as she might, she couldn?t get herself to focus as her mind drifted back to the oddest event y

2. Aralna

Aralna Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2000
    More please.

So you did start this? I got confused about if you were going to.

3. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Oh, jeez, I'm such a . . . pathetic dope? . . . well, I just have no self-will. One reply and I'm posting again! [face_blush]

~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~

Cali hopped up on the examination table, rubbing her arm as the healer brought out a syringe. ?Why am I going to have a shot??

?It?s just a blood test. The flu usually finishes its term within a week. You?ve had yours for two??

?Something like that, yeah.? Cali frowned as another figure entered the room with a datapad. She recognized the girl as Lina Elani, Leona?s apprentice. She hadn?t seen the girl up until just a little less than three weeks ago. Obi-Wan had shared his mixed feelings about the girl?s return: it meant lots of unsympathetic teasing while he healed but also possible chances for compassionate escapes.

?Obi-Wan?s in the waiting room, Padawan,? Leona said, glancing up at her taller apprentice. The dark-haired girl grinned. ?Don?t bother him for too long, though.?

?Yes, Master.? Padawan Elani disappeared after dispersing the datapad.

Leona studied Cali?s chart for a moment. ?I?m just going to ask you a few questions, all right??

?Sure.?

?First of all, describe your dizzy spell.?

The girl scrunched up her face in thought. ?It?s more like I?m going to vomit than anything.?

?Do you vomit??

?Once or twice I have, but it?s usually false alarms.? Cali had already gone through this spiel with her own Master, Ruj. He had written it off as the flu, and after she hadn?t shown a fever, she had gone off to her classes. No one else had caught the flu. ?I?ve never had a fever either.?

Leona nodded and studied her chart again for a moment. ?I?m going to take your blood, pressure, and heart rate now.? As she set to work, she asked a few more questions. ?How have you been sleeping??

?Fine,? she shrugged.

?What does your diet consist of??

?Whatever is served in the cafeteria. And I?m not bulimic or anything.?

?Hmm-hmm.? Leona paused to record the girl?s heart rate on the datapad, then frowned. ?Your heart rate has increased.?

?Is that bad??

?Not necessarily. There are several factors to be considered.?

An almost tense look crossed the older woman?s face for a moment but quickly disappeared. She smiled as her usual cheerful self and picked up the vial of Cali?s blood. ?I?ll have the results back in a few minutes. Just sit here until I get back.?

~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~

4. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Uh ohh...for Cali and Obi-Wan....

Nice to see you started this already Amidolee. *pets plot bunny* Good bunny. Very good plot bunny.

5. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    Only one reply? Well, here's your second.

MORE!!!

:D

Edit: Ooops! Lina beat me to the punch. Ah, well.

:)

6. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    :D

Yes, good plot bunny. I should go feed it now :p

7. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    More posts tonight!

8. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Well, if this doesn't turn you green? ;) Hehehe, Ewan made it to the banner! Yay for him!

Cali hopped up on the examination table, rubbing her arm as the healer brought out a syringe. ?Why am I going to have a shot??

?It?s just a blood test. The flu usually finishes its term within a week. You?ve had yours for two??

?Something like that, yeah.? Cali frowned as another figure entered the room with a datapad. She recognized the girl as Lina Elani, Leona?s apprentice. She hadn?t seen the girl up until just a little less than three weeks ago. Obi-Wan had shared his mixed feelings about the girl?s return: it meant lots of unsympathetic teasing while he healed but also possible chances for compassionate escapes.

?Obi-Wan?s in the waiting room, Padawan,? Leona said, glancing up at her taller apprentice. The dark-haired girl grinned. ?Don?t bother him for too long, though.?

?Yes, Master.? Padawan Elani disappeared after dispersing the datapad.

Leona studied Cali?s chart for a moment. ?I?m just going to ask you a few questions, all right??

?Sure.?

?First of all, describe your dizzy spell.?

The girl scrunched up her face in thought. ?It?s more like I?m going to vomit than anything.?

?Do you vomit??

?Once or twice I have, but it?s usually false alarms.? Cali had already gone through this spiel with her own Master, Ruj. He had written it off as the flu, and after she hadn?t shown a fever, she had gone off to her classes. No one else had caught the flu. ?I?ve never had a fever either.?

Leona nodded and studied her chart again for a moment. ?I?m going to take your blood, pressure, and heart rate now.? As she set to work, she asked a few more questions. ?How have you been sleeping??

?Fine,? she shrugged.

?What does your diet consist of??

?Whatever is served in the cafeteria. And I?m not bulimic or anything.?

?Hmm-hmm.? Leona paused to record the girl?s heart rate on the datapad, then frowned. ?Your heart rate has increased.?

?Is that bad??

?Not necessarily. There are several factors to be considered.?

An almost tense look crossed the older woman?s face for a moment but quickly disappeared. She smiled as her usual cheerful self and picked up the vial of Cali?s blood. ?I?ll have the results back in a few minutes. Just sit here until I get back.?

~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~

?Well if that isn?t a sorry face??
    Obi-Wan looked up as Lina Elani strolled into the waiting room, smiling teasingly. He jumped to his feet. ?What?s wrong with Cali??

?Relax. Master is looking at her right now,? Lina sat down in one of the empty chairs. She gave him a close look. ?You look ready to be sick.?

?Maybe I?m catching her flu,? Obi-Wan muttered, rubbing his knees in anxiety.

?I?m sure she?ll be fine. She doesn?t look sick or anything, and Master will find what?s wrong, if there is something wrong.?

~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~

9. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Up? I have a motherload post coming up, but I want to hold off until tomorrow to post it.

10. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Good start. :)

11. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    Naughty, naughty teens!

What is Cali going to do when she finds out? What will Obi-Wan do? :eek:

Waiting for more!

12. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    Ahem, uh, okay I'm speachless...Obi-Wan doesn't seem the type to FALL IN LOVE!!!! You have a great way of putting things, and your a good writer, don't waist it on a 'love struck teenage romance!'

13. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Actually, judging by JA, I think Obi-Wan is very capable of love. I think he'd have one tragic love (Cerasi, if you will), and whether or not he ceased after that or not . . . *shrug*

It's just differences in opinion and perception, really. And this isn't going to be a star-struck teen romance.

~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~

It was more than a few minutes before Leona returned to the examination and shut the door behind her. Cali knew instantly that something was wrong as the Healer leaned against the wall, her face pinched, eyes avoiding hers for a moment. Then, when Cali didn?t think she could stand it any longer, Leona lifted her gaze to the younger girl.

?I?m going to ask you a few more questions, Cali-Ana,? Leona said quietly. Cali nodded, her stomach twisting in anxiety. Leona wasn?t one to dodge the bullet, but the girl sensed that the Jedi was taking cautious steps. ?Have you noticed any irregularity with your cycle??

?Um . . . I guess I haven?t really noticed . . .? Cali?s voice trailed off as Leona nodded slowly. Something rang distantly in her ear. ?I guess it?s off, but I?ve been sick.?

?I see.? Leona folded her hands together. There was something compassionate in the small woman?s eyes and Cali felt something sickening and frightening fall down upon her. Now that she thought about it, she was very late, but that didn?t mean anything! Did it? No, of course not! Things like this happened to people who were stupid and careless, and she wasn?t like that anymore. It was stupid to even think it.

Leona watched the girl pale, wishing there was some simple way to say it. She had very rarely had to deal with any news of this sort, and she was already having a moral conflict with herself. She took a deep breath, ?You are four weeks along.?

A strange numbness swept over Cali as she stared at Leona. What? Four weeks along on what? It certainly couldn?t be . . . that! It was impossible. There had to be some mistake! She couldn?t be *pregnant*! She must have misunderstood Leona. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

?I assume that this will be a long talk,? Leona said softly. ?I?ll dismiss Padawan Kenobi if you like.?

Obi-Wan?! Again, this strange numbness settled over her, barely letting her mind to get past ?four weeks?. She didn?t even hear Leona call Lina over the comlink to dismiss Obi-Wan, she was so lost in a fundamental calculation. Four weeks would mean that at the dance . . . but surely . . .

?I am not about to ask how it happened or who the father is,? Leona said after a moment, watching as Cali slowly digested this. ?Until you wish otherwise, this record will go only on my personal file and not viewed by anyone but myself.? Though, she had a very good idea of both possibilities. It was not her place to discipline or deliver the incriminating news to the Council or anyone else. This was Cali?s life, if not Obi-Wan?s. But at this moment, she had a duty to this girl.

Cali slowly lifted her eyes to Leona?s. The numbness was beginning to lift and a thousand questions were attacking her all at once. A baby? She couldn?t have a baby! She couldn?t be pregnant! She was only sixteen! How could this have happened? ?What am I going to do?? she managed to croak out.

Leona didn?t answer for a long moment. There was one answer that could solve a lot of problems that would develop from this unexpected and unwanted pregnancy. An abortion was a simple way out, but the healer did not share such approval of the action. On the other hand, what would happen to this girl, the unborn child, and Obi-Wan? Any intimacy was forbidden for Padawans, and Obi-Wan and Cali had both been caught and punished for earlier interaction, though nothing had been quite so severe as this. As far as she knew, once an announcement had been made to remind the swaying youth of the rules, the couple had ceased a physical relationship. It was her suspicion that the relaxation had been taken too liberally between them. Padawan Kenobi was well aware of the consequences o

14. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    I may post more tonight, if you want it.

15. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    *sigh* Okay, up you go. This thing needs a life preserver!

16. MasterJenn

MasterJenn Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2001
    OMG!! Cali is certainly gonna have some major deciosions~Is she going to tell Obi or hide it from him too?

17. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Ah! A reader! *does a dance of thanks to God*

Ugh, I would post the next one, but the disk is tied up in Maggie (my laptop) upstairs. :\ Maybe later tonight, but definitely a post or two tomorrow!

18. MasterJenn

MasterJenn Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2001
    I suppose I can wait....

Maggie? Your laptop computer has a name?

19. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Wonderful post. :)

20. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Yes, I named my laptop [face_blush] JMMJ told me that she had a friend that named her trumpet Bernie, and just saying "my laptop" just got boring.

21. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    K, here's a big post!

~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan Kenobi was unable to concentrate through the remainder of his classes. Leona had contacted Lina while the two teenagers had been talking, and she had sent Obi-Wan on his way without any word about Cali. This had frightened him. What could be wrong with Cali? Why wouldn?t anybody tell him? Now, it was in the dinner hour and there had been no sign of Cali the entire day.

Her chair beside his was empty as he grumpily slapped his tray down beside Ane Oligi, Meri Irhanah, Sifa, Jane, Cassel, Bant, Garen, and all of his friends that he usually ate with. Ane was the first to speak. ?You look ready to either spill your insides or faint.?

?Cali?s been at the healer?s all day,? Obi-Wan said glumly.

?Is she okay?? Sifa squeaked, green eyes bright with interest.

Obi-Wan shrugged and stared down at his food. ?She *seemed* okay, but then Leona kicked me out without telling me what was wrong.?

?Maybe it was a really serious relapse!? Sifa cried. ?And maybe they?ll have to keep her there to prevent possible death or comatose or??

?SHUT UP, SIFA!?

The female Padawan blanched at the chorus. ?Well, I?m just *saying* that would be a plausible reason.?

?Obi-Wan doesn?t need to hear it,? Bant replied gently. She patted Obi-Wan?s shoulder. ?If it was something serious, I?m sure they would tell you.?

~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~

Alone in the private office, Cali found herself cramming her mind with every possible trinket of information about pregnancy that she could. Facts were so much easier to deal with than the reality of the situation. She refused to think that this was *her* and a *human being*, but that she was merely curious about the reproduction system and child development.

It worked for the most part, at least. In just four months from now, the child would have hair, eyebrows, lashes, and even facial expressions. It would be like a tiny human by the sixth month! And during the eighth and ninth months it would gain half a pound a week! How could something grow so fast? It was fascinating and frightening at the same time, and she was rather surprised with her vigor.

In the documents were also pictures of the developing child. She saw what the child would look like at one month, shocked that it could resemble something human in only a matter of weeks. It was more of a bulbous, bubbling head that grew from a spinal thread. It was so tiny and fragile, but heavily protected by the womb.

There were also the horrifying complications that could happen. Many people could miscarriage without ever knowing that they were pregnant. There were so many dangers with carrying a child, although many of them were now mastered and prevented by medical marvels.

Reading over the dangers brought Cali?s hand once again to her stomach. A cold fear suddenly gripped her and her resolve slipped. She gasped and sank back against the fairly comfortable chair, feeling the room spin.

She stared down at her hand, lifting the hem of her tunic and staring at her navel. It was the same as any other day, her stomach just as flat and normal as before. She squinted and stared. *Was* there a possible change? Was there some sort of sign that she should have known? How could she not have known that something was happening to her body?

Or to another?s body?

There was someone inside her. A living human being. Someone that she didn?t know but had never been more closely connected to. She was responsible for this person?s very life. From now until it grew up.

Cali began to shake. She was a mother. She had to take care of this child! She was responsible for someone else, for a child, for a life! How did this come to be? Why did this happen to her? What was going to happen to this baby? How could she be having a baby?

And it wasn?t just her child either. It was Obi-Wan?s.

Obi-Wan.

It was suddenly very hard to breathe. Her skin felt hot and sore as she searched for a water source. Clutching her stomach, she stumbled out into

22. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

*snaps to attention*

Good grief! How did I miss this?!

Oh my...So Cali really is pregnant this time? I kept thinking of that post in USJS when Obi-Wan was musing about what his child would have looked like (I remember it, 'cause it made me cry :_|)

Whoa...this is very awesome.

aa :)

23. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    Wow! That was heavy. Great description of the stages of development! I also like Cali's point of view about abortion ;) .

Look forward to more!

24. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Excellent job, Ami! I like! Cali's feelings were portrayed very clearly. I bet some more of that shock will hit her later - - she's going to realize what a big responsibility that little one is. Which means angst. Yay! :)

Keep up the great work - you know I always love to see more of Obi and Cali! You know that if OBi acts like a boob this time, though, I'm going to have to give him those 30 lashes...

Oh, and I bet that Lina's going to find out about Cali pretty soon. Secrets. *cackles*

25. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    *squeals*

Hi everyone!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.