"The Consequence of Love" a USJS AU of Cali & Obi

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidolee, Mar 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    That was very heartwarming!!! That's my boy, Qui-Gon!!!! :D :D :D :D
  2. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey, I got up earlier for you people!

Actually, it's so our dog doesn't attack the AC repairman. ;)

=*=*=*=*=
    *=*=*=*=*

Cali sucked on yet another ice cube that Obi-Wan had placed in her mouth upon request, holding back a frustrated sigh as she glared at the blinking monitors. Her contractions had started to come at every five minutes, then stopped, and began again at seven. Then they had dropped down to four. She simply wished it to be over and done with.

Overall, she thought she was doing quite well for being a first-timer. Perhaps it was the medicine they?d shot into her earlier, making her a bit numb past her waist, or perhaps it was because Obi-Wan was the one having a fit.

And Qui-Gon.

Cali grinned to herself. Qui-Gon was constantly lecturing the nurse or doctor that entering the nurse, constantly demanding for only the best care. Obi-Wan looked as if he was the one going through labor, and the tortured look on his face with each of her contractions spoke volumes. Their bond through the Force carried much of the pain between them, but she suspected that Obi-Wan was simply overwhelmed by the idea.

?You can loosen your grip now, dear,? she said, nodding to his hands, which were tightly wrapped around her right. ?The contraction is over with. Save your strength.?

Obi-Wan flushed slightly and loosened his grip, but did not let go. His eyes darted between the monitors, her, and Qui-Gon, who was standing watch and ready to pounce on the next orderly to walk by. Kithera and Yiona had tried to persuade him to come down to the small café shop with them, but the Jedi Master would have none of it.

?How are you doing?? Obi-Wan asked anxiously, eyes wide like a frightened animal.

?Exhausted,? Cali admitted. Truth to be, she doubted she could lift her head from the soft pillow. Her hair seemed to have become a permanent asset to the cushion and she felt as if her body was glued to the bed.

Cali gave him a shrewd look. ?What about you??

?I feel like it?s me having the baby!?

Before Cali could even laugh, another contraction started. One of the monitors began to trill in a steady, annoying rhythm while her pain began its upward climb. It crossed her mind that this one had come a bit quickly, but the sharp twisting agony in her stomach silenced all thoughts. There was the rush of movement around her and voices, and it was then that she realized that she was going to the delivery room.

It was really going to happen.

Obi-Wan jogged after the delivery team that had appeared from nowhere to whisk Cali away. Just as the doors were closing, a nurses came back through, her eyes flicking to both Jedi. ?Are any of you the father??

?Me,? Obi-Wan replied.

?Put this on and come with me,? she instructed, all but throwing a gown and cap at him.

Obi-Wan glanced at Qui-Gon uncertainly, feeling a wave of cold fear come over him. What if something went wrong? It hadn?t really ever occurred to him that both Cali and the baby?s lives were now in danger. What if something went wrong?

?Go on, Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon said, quietly. ?Nothing will happen that isn?t in the Force?s plan.?

?I?m not a Je??

?The Force never leaves you,? Qui-Gon interrupted, steely eyes narrowed. ?And you should never leave it. Listen to the Force, Obi-Wan, don?t shut it out.?

Without another word, Obi-Wan turned and raced into the delivery room.

3. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooooo...it's getting close now! Thanks for posting when you should be watching your dog ;) I loved how Obi-Wan reacted to everything...very real since I was a nervous wreck when it was sister in labor!

aa :)
  4. Jedi-Jae Jedi Master

star 4
    I knew there was a good reason to have a Jedi as the father of your baby - you can make him share the pain of labor! [face_devil] Something every father should experience, especially before they start bragging about their offspring.

Great post, Ami!
  5. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    *snorts at Obi having panic attacks*

Ami!!!! Have her have the baby already! Stop that!! *whines*

Keep posting! And I want Immense Angst for the ending. PLEASE! It's a tradition to angst the two of them all the time!
  6. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    Guys, I'm trying to write, but this post isn't coming very well. I'm seriously thinking of killing everyone off by an asteroid or bomb. [face_plain]
  7. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    SUCKY POST ALERT!!!!
    This post simply sucks, peoples. Absolutely sucks. I'm been working on it all day, and I can't seem to get anything out of me anymore. Sorry! :(

Chapter Eighteen

Obi-Wan had thought he would be allowed to stand by Cali?s side, but he was quickly pushed to the back of the room. His head reeled as Cali?s screams became hoarse. Other people were shouting, but he was not allowed to become a part of the chaos before him. His mind barely registered what his eyes and ears told him as he stood numbly against the wall, feeling dread slowly sink into his bones. There was an air of anticipation in the Force and the room, and it frightened him.

The chaos suddenly picked up another tempo, this one that of an emergency or danger.

Obi-Wan?s heart leaped into his throat and began battling. A nurse was rushing by and he grabbed her arm. ?What?s going on??

?When the baby was turned, the umbilical cord wrapped around its neck.?

?Er?? Obi-Wan began, but he didn?t have an intelligible response. The nurse rushed by, leaving him shocked. It sound bad, but surely there was a way of undoing it, right?

Gulping, Obi-Wan pushed past a droid and hurried forward, letting out a yelp of surprise as he saw one doctor begin cleansing Cali?s bulging stomach. He felt dizzy as he realized what was going to happen. Positively nauseated, he hurried to where Cali?s head was. She looked at him with frightened blue eyes, and he saw tears were streaming down her cheeks.

?You need to step back, sir, into the next room.?

Obi-Wan looked blankly at the droid?s glowing orange eyes. Leave? How could he leave when Cali would be cut open and their baby was in danger? Even as he tried to process this, the droid was forcefully pushing him out of the doors. //I love you// he sent through the Force, hoping she?d hear him. //It?ll be okay// Yet even as he tried to send reassurance and love, all he could feel was the cold, sickening dread.

Qui-Gon?s presence was warm as he placed a comforting hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?What is it??

?T-they?re going to do a c-section,? Obi-Wan mumbled. He looked up at Qui-Gon, feeling his fear threaten to explode. He was listening to the Force, and he didn?t like what it was telling him. ?The umbilical cord is wrapped around the neck.?

Qui-Gon had no words of wisdom, nothing to say. Obi-Wan began to pace, his anxiety bouncing off the tiled floor and white walls. Qui-Gon watched the young man tear up the floor with his furious steps, not liking how things had slipped from his control. Qui-Gon liked having control of the situation, even if he accepted it when things did not go as planned, but Obi-Wan was even worse off. Obi-Wan had a more methodical way of going about things, and there was nothing normal or standard about what was happening to him now.

?You shouldn?t wear yourself out. Sit.?

?I can?t,? Obi-Wan said tightly, his eyes darting to the closed doors.

Qui-Gon was about to suggest meditation, but then closed his mouth. Obi-Wan had not hinted at wanting to come back, but he was positive it was because he didn?t believe there was a way to come back. Reaching into his robe pocket, he felt the silky braid between his fingers, his eyes on Obi-Wan was he continued to pace. There wasn?t anything he could do at the moment.

One door suddenly burst open. Obi-Wan whirled around as if to face battle droids as two nurses came out, one carrying a bundle swiftly down the hall.

?Is that?? but Obi-Wan was cut off as they disappeared around the corner. Throwing a frightened glance at Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan started after the nurses, but was intercepted by a medical droid coming out of the room. ?Was that the??

?The infant is being taken to the proper live-support facility,? the droid answered in a dull voice.

?W-why?!?

?Due to premature birth, complications during birth, and the defects from a medicine Miss Angli was prescribed during pregnancy, the infant cannot sustain oxygen or life capabilities on it
  9. Senator Lorena Jedi Master

star 4
    I wish my good posts were as good as your "sucky" ones! ;)

Oh, boy! Things are looking awful for the baby. Poor Obi and Cali, too!

Hope Cali will be all right!
  10. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    You thought that post was "sucky".... you couldn't be more wrong!!!!!

My heart breaks for all concerned, nothing more horrible than your child being in danger!

Please don't make us suffer, post more soon!
  11. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    Next and last coming right up!
  12. Jedi-Jae Jedi Master

star 4
    As much as I hate to do this....<<smacks Ami upside the head>>

What did I tell you about putting down your stuff! <<stern glare>>

That post was fine! Now you've got me really worried about Cali and the baby! :(
  13. Healer_Leona Scattegories Host. Manager Emeritus

Game Host
    star 9
    I can understand feeling not being able to get into words what you envisioned in your head, but that post was nowhere in the same galaxy as sucky!!!

Tense and intense is more like it and everyone's emotions were captured so perfectly!!!

Stunning post Amidolee! :) :)
  14. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, here it is, folks, the last post. I originally had things more laid out and stuff, but I just want to get this story done. It's been dragging me down these past few days.

And, yes, that last one sucked. I can take the truth guys, k?

=*=*=*=*=
    *=*=*=*=*

The hospital room was absolutely silent. Obi-Wan breathed slowly and carefully, fearing that a normal manner would upset the stillness that time had brought him. The lights were dimmed down to just the one above Cali?s sleeping head, spreading a pool of mocking light over her pale and sunken face. Gingerly, he reached out to brush tangled hair away from her face, feeling his hand tremble and his vision blur again. The movement was daring, as it may signal time to return to a normal speed and take him with it. As of now, there was only this room, this bed, and the girl he loved. Nothing else.

Obi-Wan kept his hand against her face, a blind hope wishing that she wouldn?t wake up to the horrible world he?d taken her to. If she stayed forever asleep and he with her, there wouldn?t have to be thoughts or feelings, just this stillness that enveloped them.

He didn?t want to think or feel. He didn?t want to see anyone, he didn?t want to breath. Was this what it was like to come into the world and then leave it? Had there been actual emotions and knowledge and understand for those few precious hours of life before disappearing again? When Obi-Wan died, would it be much like how he felt now? Numb without the natural sense of life around him.

The past few hours felt more like a dream, a nightmare. Cali had been sedated, as her body had not taken well to the cesarean. A fever had raged her body during the delivery, her blood pressure had soared, and the distress of the baby had been projected to her as well. The strangling umbilical cord had cut off what oxygen Ben would have received before careening down the birth canal, and it was suspected that he had been unconscious by the time the doctors had rescued him from the trap.

Ben?s lungs had not yet fully matured. Obi-Wan had seen him briefly, but it was a picture he wished he could erase from his mind. The tiny, beautiful infant was covered with tubes that bumped fluid through his body, kept his heart pumping, his lungs working . . .

Before Obi-Wan could gain control of himself, a sob escaped him. The tiny fingers and toes, so perfect down to the tiniest detail . . . the light dusting of blonde hair . . . It had been too much for him. Right there he?d broken down, completely lost sensibility. He didn?t even remember Qui-Gon pulling him away and shoving hot tea into his hands and forcing it down his throat. However, he did remember how the Jedi Master had hugged him tightly and rocked him like a frightened child. He didn?t tell Qui-Gon how he felt, nor how he?d touched Ben?s mind with his and how it was what caused him to completely lose it.

A soft moan escaped Cali?s lips and her eyelids fluttered. Obi-Wan?s heart froze and he silently cursed time. Why couldn?t he just stay where he was? Why was the Force so cruel?

Cali slowly opened her heavy eyes and groaned, looking around with a confused look on her face. She smiled slightly, as if remembering why she was there. Absently, her hand drifted to her now deflated womb, an eager look in her eyes as she turned her head slightly at Obi-Wan, leaning into his frozen hand. ?How long have I been out?? she croaked.

?A . . . while.?

?Hmm. Well, I sure feel like it.? Cali smiled again, turning her head enough so that her lips brushed against his hand.

Obi-Wan bit the inside of his cheek to keep from crying out. Cali had no idea . . . how could he tell her? Her lips were warm and loving against his skin, ignorant of what had happened.

Cali reached up for his hand, covering his with her own, blue eyes radiant upon him. ?I decided on the way over that I was going to let you take Ben back to the Temple.?

?W-why??

?You were right. Everyone was. And if Qui-Gon knows now, there is no point in hiding.?
  15. Jedi-Jae Jedi Master

star 4
    :_| :_| :_|

That was so sad, Ami!

I'm glad Obi went back to the Jedi, but poor Cali!

Great story! And we know who Obi ends up with! ;)
  16. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

Oh man....the baby died? :_| I know, I know...Ben couldn't exist, not really, but still!

Awesome story! I loved every minute of it, Ami :D

So, what comes next for Obi-Wan? I know you have a few stories that I haven't read yet..what should I read next? :D

aa :)
  17. padawan lunetta Force Ghost

star 6
    Awww, beautiful, sad, wonderful ending Ami! I suppose I really COULDN'T hope for a happy ending, though Obi-Dearest DID return to Qui, that's happy. But the baby died! :( Without even being held by his parents. :( The ending fit well, Ami, good job! :)
  18. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    What a sad ending to such a wonderful story!

I look forward to reading your next story!!!
  19. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, WAIL! That was SO sad!! Poor everyone! Cali's wrong when she doesn't think she's a weak person. She's stronger in many ways more so than Obi-Wan.

Such a bittersweet end to a faboo thread, Amidolee!
  20. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    I dunno, AA, there's some on my website, but not all of them are there.

Let's see, the ones not on there yet are:
    Loving You From Afar O/C (Ben's there!)
    Child of Naboo (lil Sabe and there's Obi too, I want to rewrite the ending sometime)
    Nothing Left to LOse a happy C/O ending

I think that's it for the ones not yet archived on my site.
  21. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    What a wonderful story!! The ending was very deep, and touching. I'm sad about the baby though. Great job. :)
  22. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Great posts. :)

Wonderful story.
  23. Senator Lorena Jedi Master

star 4
    Another wonderful story, Ami!
  24. Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    AHHH!!! That was evil! Ben was supposed tolive! He's the cutest baby ever! I seriously started to punch something when I read that... and that would be bad cause then the internet guy would get mad at me and kick me out and I'd be gone for longer... *sniff*

Gosh, what am I going to read now? So sad...
  25. Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    up!

Because I forgot to catch up on the ending. [face_blush]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.