"The Consequence of Love" a USJS AU of Cali & Obi

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Amidolee, Mar 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

I agree with HAL :) Very good posts, as always :D I also love your sig...that part in JA13 really made a lot of sense when describing Obi-Wan....

aa :)
  2. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    =*=*=*=*=
    *=*=*=*=*

?All accounted for!?

?It?s about bloody time,? Cali muttered as she followed Sifa into the turbolifts. ?I didn?t seriously think that there were ten-thousand Jedi that needed to be inspected.?

Sifa rolled her eyes as the door slid open for her apartment level. ?Just don?t tell anyone the results. I have to do that at dinner. See you later!?

Cali continued down to the lower levels of the infirmary. She had an appointment with Leona. As the lift dropped further down, Cali felt her stomach lurch with it. She had managed to spend the entire day with Sifa, pretending to be a giggly, irresponsible teenager. There was no longer any reason to pretend. A meeting with Leona wouldn?t be for gossip or jokes, but to talk once again about this *life* that was inside of her.

She entered the infirmary, hesitating in the waiting room when she felt the tension in the air. A young healer was manning the reception desk, hardly glancing up as Cali entered. Something just felt odd about this place, she thought as she strode up to the girl. ?Um, excuse me, I?m supposed to see Healer Leona.?

Corra looked up, a frown creasing her mouth. ?I?m sorry, but Leona isn?t available today. You may wait to see one of the other healers, though.?

?Oh.? Cali matched the girl?s frown. ?Is something wrong??

?I am not at liable to say,? Corra replied thinly.

Cali bit her lip in frustration. She wasn?t exactly thrilled with this entire ordeal, but she had almost been look forward to today?s visit. At least there was someone to talk to who would understand. ?Um, well, could I talk to her Padawan? She could relay a message maybe??

?Padawan Elani is also unavailable.?

?Oh. Okay, then.? Cali turned to leave, but An-Paj suddenly came into the reception area, a dark frown on his blue face as he studied a folder and checked a chart. He caught sight of her and nearly rolled his eyes.

?Another injury, Student Angli? Or is Kenobi hurt and bleeding somewhere and you?re fetching help??

?Neither, Master Healer,? Cali replied. While she wasn?t exactly comfortable around the generally cheerful healer, he was a closer link to Leona. ?I was supposed to speak with Leona, er, Master Leona this afternoon.?

?She isn?t available,? An-Paj said stiffly, his manner suddenly extremely formal.

?I know. But, um, can you at least tell her I?d like to talk as soon as possible??

An-Paj?s brows knitted together. ?Oh, is there something wrong? I?ll see what I can do.?

Cali felt her cheeks redden. ?Um, well, I?d rather talk to Leona?no offense.?

?A feminine thing??

?Er, yeah.?

An-Paj almost grinned. ?I?m a *healer*, Cali-Ana. I?m quite capable of helping you if there is a problem.?

?Um, well, no thanks.? Cali didn?t wait for him to reply as she hurried out of the infirmary. Pressing her hands to her cheeks, she could feel the heat sting her skin.

Her embarrassment and fright over the close-call soon turned to intrigue and worry. What could possibly have happened to keep both Leona and Lina from the infirmary? It wouldn?t have really crossed her mind twice but for the way everyone was dismissive and wary of it. Sifa?s gossip throughout the day had circled back to the business of an Andali (which she had researched after hearing the name), and how Lina and Cassel must have been destined for each other. Cali had all but shrugged of the girl?s chatter. It wasn?t her business to turn an eavesdrop between two Council members into something that it probably wasn?t.

Sifa had suspected that this Andali business was a big secret amongst the Council, and now with the healers? lack of explanation, Cali began to wonder.

She checked her chrono. With her appointment canceled, she would have time to visit the archives.

=*=*=*=*=
    *=*=*=*=*
  3. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I wonderful trio of posts to comment on.

Cali following Sifa around judging the Padawans was hilarious.

?Masters and Knights aren?t judged . . . unless the Knights are fresh and young"-- too funny, though Cali's thoughts at the end were very sobering.

I too enjoyed seeing Obi get some much needed time with his Master and loved his comment about ruffled hair and pinched cheeks at his knighting.

An Leona and LIna unavailable??? Heavy sigh remebering what was going on at that time.

Exceptional writing Amidolee and if I haven't said it before I love what you're doing with Leona!

4. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks everyone! [face_love]

I'm doing inventory on all of my story discs and web files, but I'll try to get another post up (I've got a few ready) and get some more written.
  6. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    I sigh as well at the memories of THAT time during the lives of my tortured characters. Nice to know they're now in the safe hands of Amidolee! ;)

Great post, as per usual!
  7. padawan lunetta Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes Very! :) I wouldnt wanna talk to Mr An Paj either ;)
  8. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    =*=*=*=*=
    *=*=*=*=*

The soft vibration of her comlink startled Cali out of her dazed study. Blinking and seeing dots, she rubbed her eyes before answering the call. ?Yeah?? she yawned, mindful that she was in a quiet place of knowledge.

Ruj?s voice crackled on the other end. ?I can?t keep tabs on you,? he greeted cheerfully.

?Sorry, Master. What?s up??

?There?s something I need to talk to you about, and someone who wants to say hi.?

?Who?? Cali asked, intrigued.

?Just come up.?

Ruj sounded as cheerful as ever, but Cali?s paranoia increased as she shelved her texts and boarded a lift. By the time she?d reached her apartment, her stomach was a bundle of nerves. Nearly nauseated with the possibilities, she slowly entered the apartment.

?Master?? she called uncertainly.

?In the living room,? Ruj called. ?Come in.?

Cali breathed a sigh of relief. If she had been in trouble, Ruj would make her sit in the kitchen. She entered the living room. There were two voices, one female and sounding definitely familiar. Only Ruj was in the room. ?Master??

Ruj turned and nodded a greeting, motioning to the communications console. Cali stepped into the zone, feeling a big smile split her face. ?Aunt Yiona!?

?My stars, Cali, you?ve grown!? Yiona Delmine gasped. Yiona was a woman of her forties and married to a diplomat. Malven was Cali?s mother?s half-brother. Malven was based on Coruscant, but Yiona hated the city and preferred living on Alderaan where their adopted son, Jamis Kalico, attended a prestigious private academy. It had been years since Cali?s last visit to see her relatives, but each visit had always been enjoyable. Neither Yiona or Malven approved of her parents? divorce and her mother?s drinking habits, and it seemed to Cali that they had been more like family they Mom or Dad had been.

?I?m only five-two,? Cali sighed mournfully. She grinned. ?How?s Blankie??

?That?s what we came to talk to you about, dear.? Yiona?s hazel eyes sparkled cheerfully as her pale lips continued to smile. ?Jamis is graduating from the academy, and we would like for you to attend the ceremony and spend the week with us on Alderaan.?

?Blankie?s graduating? How?d that happen?? Jamis had gotten into the academy on a full scholarship of academics, and everyone teased him of being the genius of the family.

Yiona laughed and shifted her gaze to Ruj. The Jedi Master cleared his throat and glanced at Cali. ?You have my permission, and your mother?s, to attend the week of ceremonies. If you want to go, of course.?

Just days before, Cali would have wanted to go purely because she knew there was always something fun planned for her, but now it was seen as an escape. A week away from the Temple meant a week without having to avoid questions or Obi-Wan! She almost wished that it could be longer. ?Of course I want to go!?

The next half hour was spent making plans. Malven would be busy up until the mid-week ceremony and Yiona was boggled down with plans, so Jamis himself would meet Cali and bring her to Alderaan.

?Oh, you?ll need a few formal dresses, dear,? Yiona said.

?I don?t have any formal clothes.?

?Then we?ll have to go shopping, won?t we??

Up until dinner that night, Cali busied herself with packing, though she didn?t have much to pack. Taking a few pairs of her Jedi clothes and the less revealing of her old wardrobe that she hadn?t worn in months, Cali had to pack slowly to pass the time. She was genuinely excited to be going, but it was sad to think that much of it was pure relief for leaving Obi-Wan and the Temple behind for a few days.

When Obi-Wan arrived to walk with her to dinner, Cali was happy to give him a true smile. ?Hi! I?m hungry, let?s eat!?

Obi-Wan laughed. ?You?re in a good mood.?

?I know, I?ll tell you about it at dinner.?

The dining hall was full of racket as they entered and grabbed trays for the long line. Cali kept her gaze away from Obi-Wan, feeling a sick guilt grow inside of her. What kind of person was she
  9. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Poor both of them! Obi-Wan is starting to catch on. I can't wait to see what happens when the truth is revealed!
  11. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    :D INVENTORY COMPLETE! :D

Jeez, I've got WAY to many files on site and disk! Glad *that's* over with! :D

I'm going to go write in this and AND now! Bye-bye!

Yes, I've got it all planned on how Obi finds out . . . hehehehe [face_devil]
  12. Senator Lorena Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooooo! This is so good!

I hate to think what you plan for poor Obi! ;)
  13. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    :D I finally got another progressive post in on AND B) Still, I wish that story was over so I could start the sequel and being Taesara Kenobi's lil bratty terror spree on Luke and Co. :p

and, I love this one because it tortures poor Obi-Wan. Lucky for him that he's not an RL acquaintance [face_devil]
  14. padawan lunetta Force Ghost

star 6
    OOooOOoo very good!! Poor Obi!!!! And Cali should tell him darnit!! ;)
  15. Jedi Kylenn Jedi Master

star 4
    At least Cal has some relatives she can count on and oooOOOOOoooooOOOOooo I'm eagerly waiting for the bombshell to get dropped on Obi!
  16. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5

K. I'm incredibly depressed and my eyes are bleary and sore because I've been balling my head off since 3:30. I fell down a hill and my knee may be reinjured.

I guess the upside is that I might not be going away next weekend and can take anger out on Obi.

*=*=*=*=*

?What?s wrong with everyone today?? Sifa muttered as Obi-Wan sat roughly into his chair, his gaze still turned towards Cali?s departing back. The black haired Padawan stared at him. ?You?re not eating?!?

All heads swiveled. Obi-Wan could only shrug. He had no thoughts for food or conversation at this moment, unless the later pertained to Cali and her distrust. He wasn?t sure whether he was more hurt, angry, or worried by her continuing behavior. He had wanted to follow her, but the refreshers were too trafficked at this hour and he wasn?t about to storm in on busy females and start a heart-to-heart talk. The conditions were hardly appropriate and he didn?t want an audience.

?What?s wrong?? Bant asked quietly, resting a webbed hand on his shoulder. ?You look miserable.?

Obi-Wan would have liked to tell Bant. She had been his closest friend for years, and although missions and life had drawn them apart throughout the Padawan training, she was still his most-trusted confidant. ?I don?t know. And that?s what I want to know,? he whispered, glancing furtively behind him.

Bant?s salmon skin colored in dismay. ?I hope everything works itself out, my friend.?

Several minutes passed and Obi-Wan wondered with much irritation if she was going to spend the entire dining hour avoiding him. What had he done to deserve this? He crossed his arms and rested his head in the pillow, doing his best not to sigh, but unable to join in the conversation. Sifa was babbling about the poll, but then quickly switched in mid-story to gossip something about Lina and Cassel Benlar. It was then that Obi-Wan noticed the absence of each.

Conversation suddenly faltered, all eyes shifting behind Obi-Wan. He knew immediately that Cali had returned and he sat up quickly, forcing himself not to turn around.

?Hi, everyone!? Cali greeted brightly. Was it too bright?

She sat down in front of her tray of cold food, not even looking at Obi-Wan. He gritted his teeth and forced himself to appear cheerful as well. After engaging with Sifa in an adamant recap of their adventure, Cali finally turned to Obi-Wan. There was something hidden in her eyes, but she smiled eagerly at him. It didn?t warm his heart.

?Guess what? My Aunt Yiona called this afternoon. My cousin is graduating and I?m invited to the ceremony! Isn?t that great??

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow. It was like seeing a complete different person, or someone with multiple personalities. ?I didn?t think you one for ceremonies.?

?Oh, it?s on Alderaan, and it?s like a week of festivities. I?m leaving tomorrow morning and will be back next week.? Cali turned back to her food and took a few quick bites.

?You?re going to be gone an entire week?? Obi-Wan asked quietly.

?Yup! It?ll be so much fun!?

?How early are you leaving??

?Mid-morning,? Cali said, concentrating on her food. ?But I need a lot of beauty sleep tonight.?

Obi-Wan said nothing. She was clearly saying that she didn?t want to spend the evening with him, even though they wouldn?t see each other for a week.

Jane Jinn picked the silent moment to bring along her own news. ?Oh! Guess what Master Thencor said today? I get to stay another term!?

Sifa congratulated the girl along with everyone else before she turned her attention to Cali. ?Hey?I bet you can stay another term, too, Cali! You?re just as strong in the Force as Jane is.?

?Oh, I don?t think so,? Cali said quietly, twirling her fork in the pasta.

?Why not? I bet your Master just has to tell you the news, too! Just think, you and Obi can have more time together!?

?I don?t think I can.?

?Nonsense! I?m sure if you just asked??

?Sifa!? Cali sputtered, her voice suddenly high, drawing everyone?s attention to her. He
  17. Aralna Force Ghost

star 4
    When will Obi find out? I want to know! :)
  18. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry to hear about the knee, Amidolee. I hope you get some good news from the healers...er, doctors.

Poor Obi-Wan! He's going to be miserable unless Cali tells him SOMETHING!
  19. starwarsfan1000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Good post. :)

Hope your knee is okay.
  20. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    I hope so too.

Sorry that there isn't another post tonight. Nothing went as planned :( Anyway, I will have a post up tomorrow before I have to leave in the afternoon for a soup supper and concert.
  21. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    K, back from the concert and supper, but I'm wiped. I'll have a post up tomorrow, don't worry.
  22. Jedi Kylenn Jedi Master

star 4
    You poor thing!

*Chants a special knee-mending incantation.*

Now as for the story, you've got me chewing my knuckles waiting for the next post. AAAAH!

:)
  23. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll post sometime after noon, cuz I don't think anyone's really at the boards at this hour on Sunday--either at Church (I'll go next Sunday, Lord, but those stairs are ghastly for crutches!) or sleeping in . . . so I'll put it up in a few hours.

Unless someone is on and can beat me silly with begging :)
  24. Amidolee Force Ghost

star 5
    Just for you, HAL, so you're in the right mind set to write your paper :p

=*=*=*=*=
    *=*=*=*=*

The wind was always strong on the Temple landing platform, and this overcast morning was no exception. Obi-Wan stood with his arms crossed inside his robes, staring unseeingly off at the skyscrapers that rose in the distance. On mornings with the sun bright and shining in the crowded sky, it was a scenic, soothing view, but the sun was hidden behind a thick blanket of storm clouds, and Coruscant wasn?t a glittering city but seemed dull and gray.

Qui-Gon had excused him from attending his first classes so that he could see Cali off, but the Padawan found himself wondering if it was fruitless. They had hardly spoken to each other during this wait. He figured that Cali?s silence was just the continuous burden of whatever was plaguing her, but he knew his silence was a precaution. He didn?t want to upset her and didn?t trust himself to speak. What if he said something out of impatience and irritation? He didn?t want her to leave for a week on a bad note.

He hadn?t gotten much sleep last night. His head had been filled with questions, and he had tossed and turned from anxiety. The fact was that he couldn?t stay angry for long, but it hurt that she refused to trust him with this mysterious situation. How many times had they shared their pain? It had been like awakening the dead when he?d spoken of Cerasi, but it was something that he knew he would always carry with him, and he had wanted Cali to know about the girl. It was painful to speak to anyone about, even Qui-Gon. Any mention of the situation amongst the Jedi had sprouted disdain, distrust, criticism, and disrespect. Even Siri?s passed biting remarks still haunted him when he was in a moment of weakness. The younger Padawan had long apologized for her ignorance on the entire situation, but it hadn?t been entirely her fault either. Obi-Wan had let everyone in the Order down without realizing it.

Obi-Wan shifted his gaze to Cali, who was also snuggled into her robe, staring off at the gloomy skyline. She wasn?t anything like Cerasi, yet he had felt an instant bond to her as he had the fiery redhead. Cerasi had fought and died trying to stop the centuries of civil wars on her planet, even having to face her own father as an adversary. Obi-Wan could still remember every detail about the day that he?d seen her shot down by a misfire. He?d seen the very life fade from her eyes while he held her in his arms.

He had loved her, but it had been a love different from what he felt for Cali. He had only been thirteen and barely a Padawan. She had introduced him to a world of cause and offered him immediate trust and friendship. He?d been swept away in her cause, feeling as if it had been his own, leaving the Jedi Order and Qui-Gon to fight with her. It hadn?t been until after she was gone that he realized just how much she?d meant to him, and how he hadn?t truly adopted the cause because it was his own, but because it was hers. He had wanted justice, that was not questioned, but it had never truly been *his*.

After Cerasi?s death, those he had thought as friends and comrades once turned on him. It had been then, in his loneliness and grief, that he?d realized he did not belong. It had been a painful moment, and it still left a deep scar within him.

His gaze swept over Cali?s lowered face, watching wisps of hair blow around her cheeks. While she hadn?t been fighting justice and sacrificing her life for others, she and Cerasi were very similar. Both were young and vulnerable, both came from broken families, both were strong in their own ways. He loved both of them and knew that he would sacrifice himself for either.

He knew, deep down, even after knowing all that he knew now, that if given the chance to go back in time to Melida/Daan, he would still make the same choice. He would still turn his back on Qui-Gon and fight with Cerasi. His actions, every mission, every decision shaped who he was. If he did not make the same choice, h
  25. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you for the post, Amidolee!!!!
    I'm all cheered up now before I have to go to write the stupid paper.

Poor Obi-Wan! That was just a roll in the angst-mud. Cerasi, sizing up Jamis, getting the half-hearted goodbye from Cali. The boy's so worried! Breaks your heart....keep it up! Hee, hee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.