main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Continuity BIG Fix Contest!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by KansasNavy, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Well, I got Rogue Leader for the GC, and the game is very good in every aspect you want from a game (especially a SW game). Unfortunately, there are two major continuity errors. The biggest one is that Wedge and a couple other Rogues raid an imperial facility in the heart of The Maw, and end up saving prisoners uprising on a torn up planet. Odd that the same guy who lead the Battle of the Maw 7-8 years later was surprised that anything at all could survive in the heart of the Maw.

The other is that Wedge is the one who stole the Tyderium at the academy on Prefsbelt IV. Odd, since it was Ace Azameen who stole it at the Zhar Outpost in X-wing: Alliance. And yes, the Rogues did help in the mission, but it wasn't anything like Rogue Squadron II depicted it. Also, the strategy guide for XW:A is in story form, so it is technically a licensed story, too.

So instead of just saying that novels over rule games ( and their strategy guides ) and say that literature is higher up on the canon ladder than games, lets fix it like the true EU'ers of past and fix continuity again.

You'll be graded on:

Believability: 0-10 stars
    Creativity: 0-5 stars
    Knowledge: 0-5 stars (knows what they're talking about)
    Detail: 0-5 stars
    Overall Stars: 0-25 stars

Well, lets begin!

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Was it really in the middle of the heart of the Maw?Maybe it was just close by?People do have a tendecy to exaggerate.(isn'r the prison facility on Kessel?)

Maybew the Empire had two shuttles named Tyderium?Or maybe one was later named Tyderium?

3. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Well, Ace didn't actuallysteal the shuttle, he just flew cover for the team that did. It's possible that the Tyderium Shuttle was part of Palpatine's master plan to lure the Rebels to Endor. He planted it and let Ace and gang rescue it. However, to make the ruse believable, he had a droid on the ship which hijacked it after it was stolen and jumped it to a different location. The Rogues followed the shuttle and stole it again once it arrived there.

4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "The biggest one is that Wedge and a couple other Rogues raid an imperial facility in the heart of The Maw, and end up saving prisoners uprising on a torn up planet. "

I think that's Kessel...

5. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Nope. I've played Rogue Squadron II. It isn't Kessel.
    Unfortunately, KansasNavy is exaggerating by saying it is in the heart of the Maw, you can see the Maw in the background, which means it is actually near the Maw.
    Hope that is helpful.

6. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Ah ,ok.no problem.It's merely an asteroid near the Maw.

7. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    It is in the heart of the Maw. The mission briefing guy says it is.

Skawookiee has the most believeble post. You gonna let him out-do you? Come on any give it your best shot!

8. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    The mission briefing guy was exaggerating as humans tend to do.

If you can see the Maw in the distance,it wasn't really in the heart,was it?

9. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    double post

10. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    In games, it's the text and dialogue I take as official. Not in the game, because it's warped because you're playing a game. Sure, you see one black hole, but that doesn't mean the planet's on the outside of the Maw.

Anyway, it'd be hard to see the other black holes unless they were tearing apart a planet too.

11. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    The biggest one is that Wedge and a couple other Rogues raid an imperial facility in the heart of The Maw, and end up saving prisoners uprising on a torn up planet. Odd that the same guy who lead the Battle of the Maw 7-8 years later was surprised that anything at all could survive in the heart of the Maw.

Obviously, since Wedge had already seen the destructive power of the Maw, he was suprised that anything that was there previously had lasted for 7-8 years to be there when he returned. He expected everything to be destroyed, and was suprised to find that anything could have survived the destructive power that he had previously witnessed.

I believe that explination deserves a nice hearty BOOYAKA!

12. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Just because you can see the maw doesn't mean you're not inside it.

First of all, you couldn't see the maw, because you cannot see black holes. That debate put aside, if you look at a room from the inside, you are looking at walls right? If you look @ it from the outside, you are also looking @ walls.

I believe, however, that the planet from which the prisoners escaped was supposed to be Kessel, everything fits, except the look of the planet - doesn't look like Kessel. Perhaps it was Kessel's moon? The novels did say that there was an Imperial base on Kessel's moon right? That seems to fit.

Tyderium, tyderium....More than one Tyderium, perhaps?

Or, better yet, the mission in XWA was the same mission depicted in RS2:RL but from a different viewpoint? Wedge's --> who actually stole the shuttle, not just ran cover for the mission.

I haven't played XWA, so I don't really know.

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "First of all, you couldn't see the maw, because you cannot see black holes. That debate "

True,but you can see the accretion disks aroumnd them.Space depris,gas and cosmic radiation circles around them.That's how you "see" them. :p

14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    So describe the Maw Level?Are surround by clouds of gas and radiation,or by a starfield with a large nebula like thing in the distance?

15. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I think the nintendo power strategy guide section mentioned it being kessel, ?[face_plain].

16. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    It's not Kessel. The level starts when you're flying throught the debris (asteroids)of a planet being sucked in by a single 'visible' black hole, and a sun. The only way you can see a black hole is if it's destroying something, it's invisible if it's not sucking up anything (thanks TLC).

darthparth may be on to something...

17. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah,I also remember the guide saying it was Kessel Valiento.

How do you know it's not four blackholes together?Making it look like one singularity?

And Kessel has Imperial Correctional facilities on it's surface not to mention the Spice Mines.Many prisoners were sent there.

Oh,and Kessel,if I remember correctly,is slowly being sucked into the Maw.

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    yes, something like 1000 years after anh, it's supposed to be destroyed by the maw, I think it was in JAT sourcebook.

19. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Yeah, but the planet doesn't look like what kessel is supposed to look like.

20. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    how exactly does it look?

21. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Like a regular circular planet with a bite taken out of it. Multiple shades of gray.

Once you fly on the surface, it has volcanos and no mines.

Plus, Rogue Squadron had a Kessel mission on it, and the same people who made that game obviously made this game. I don't think they'd make the rusty potato shaped planet into something it's not.

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Sounds like Kessel's moon maybe.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It could be a large asteroid in the vicinity of The Pit (see the Han Solo Trilogy).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.