main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Continuity Snarl Celebration thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

alderaanian, eh? Jedi Mind tricks don't work on me.. except you are female :p

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Lies! Who gave us Waru! Who! Who!

:p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I quite like that schema Charles, thanks. But can it extend to the likes of LOTF0FOTJ and onwards or are those best deemed seperate volumes as it were?

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, it's just my own personal numbering system. Feel free to do whatever you like, though the NJO-verse DOES include LOTF and FOTJ in my mind.

Amusingly, I think Zahn has his own verse in HIS head, including only the Rogue Squadron books.

5. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    :p

I would note that Charles' continuity division seems to be appropriate for the various RPG licenses we've seen too.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I also see three distinct universes.

The GFFA, which includes everything except the works in the two alternate universes.

The Denningverse, which is the main storyline of the post-NJO, consisting of DNT, LotF, FotJ, Crucible, and probably SotJ, which uses Mortis from the Filoniverse, and shows how to poorly rehash the PT.

The Filoniverse, which consists of TCW and its derivatives, and shows the lengths George Lucas will go to just to enforce his vision on the universe, a Clone Wars alternate universe.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He doesn't even include his own books? That's harsh.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Only if you assume that Kreia was correct. Let's not forget that the Jedi Council also had some philosophical concepts about the Force (i.e. the Exile's 'dangerous' force powers) that get shot down.

I like that it had a twist on the Jedi vs. Sith conflict that was already getting stale when the game came out - an enemy that was looking to destroy the playing board.

They weren't really more powerful than Sidious, at least in the sense of being able to function - I thought they represented a logical ultimate progression of the Dark Side - survival at all costs, even when your "life" is unbearable (Sion) or the empty negation of life (Nihilus). Sidious would've remarked that they let the Dark Side get out of control and overwhelm them - and that their "lives" were as meaningless as the Force ghosts on Korriban.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Vong were stripped of the Force. ysalamari just nullify a force users connection
    She didn't give a rats ass about the Jedi or the Sith. In her eyes both of them were victims of an endless cycle perpetuated by the Force. She sought to destroy the Force itself
    If that was true in any shape or Form we wouldn't have Exile beating them would we? Or Revan beating Malak. Or the Emperor getting owned by the power of heart. Or Odion getting annihilated by children's joy. The Darkside has been shown to give destructive abilities/eternal life but it always has a price and is always defeated

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, you're welcome to your opinions and I'm glad you feel that way about the work. I had an enormous amount of fun playing it and I'm glad the Reconstruction Project exists.

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was worse casualtywise seeing how there were less then 100 Jedi left

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Zahn does give that impression sometimes, although I'm not sure it's entirely fair--there's a Star Tours reference in the HoT duology, after all. Plus a Marvel reference, of all things, in the preview for Scoundrels. Wonders never cease...

TC

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This thread and its discussion of good themes and bad themes made me do a essay on Luke Skywalker on my blog.

There's a link at the bottom of my sig.

Thanks guys. You all helped inspire it.

TrakNar and RC-1991 like this.
  14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow Cade starting out as a total anti-character actually makes his “redemption” and travel to the light side more interesting, and unlike LOTF and FOTJ Legacy did also offer a huge swath of characters than also stand up to “evil” not just a few Jedi and the “Blood of Skywalker”. Plus Legacy plays on Cades destiny very well, because he is actually the only thing that can save the "Emperor", but in his obsession to get Cade to heal him he leaves himself open to get betrayed by his own followers and allow his enemies something to focus on. It is actually one of his own Servants that kills him initially and only his own obsession with Cade later allows Cade to kill Krayt.

So no Cade bashing, as Legacy is rather well thought out in that regard. ;)

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    His redemption is something I didn't really buy, I guess, and gave me a Family Unfriendly Aesop. I was happy to let Cade travel around the galaxy as a bounty-hunter and living like a hippie (though I loathe he engaged in piracy). It's just that it bothered me that HE and HE ALONE is the only one who can stop evil. As Anakin Solo mentions, just because the Chosen One dies doesn't mean the fight shouldn't go on.

I could tolerate Cade if not for the fact that he was forced into a role he didn't want, doesn't believe in, and will probably return to after he's done killing Krayt I think the story might have been better with a Skywalker daughter or even Marasiah Fel taking the role of the Hero. Mostly because I think we lack female heroes in the BIG role.

Just my thoughts.

Edit:

Take note my essay mentions I liked Legacy and that I understood Cade was supposed to be the "Wrong Guy at the Wrong time."

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Piracy is actually the nicer occupation than bounty hunting for an “evil” goverment, especially if you go honorable privateer. :)

The thing about Legacy that makes it great for me in that regard, he actually isn’t. Evil pretty much stops itself. Krayts obsession on Cade is what makes him the “Shatterpoint” in the fabric of the galaxy. Should he die Krayt dies because he would never learn the ability to heal himself and the “Rebels” and Felpire would rip the Sith apart. The only way Krayt wins is if he gets Cade to heal him and join him, otherwise everything he build will fall apart.

Oh it would have, the Rebels and Felpire would still be around, just with an immortal Emperor against them.

The last issue has him fully embrace his role in a rather beautifully written and drawn scene, so I very much doubt that. :)

Edit:

I know :) everyone loves Legacy as the better Legacy and Fate.

We do, Kerra Holt, Aayla, and Jaina (if used right) though work very well. Though Legacy also had Blue, Morrigan and Jool. ;)

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This tends to be a popular fan attitude but it's not one I find plausible, the end of Legacy's first arc is that point when Cade is no longer broken, is at ease with his Jedi heritage and no longer tormented by the past. Nor do I see him simply swanning off and taking it easy, he'll likely be pursuing the Sith forever.

Had he not accepted his role he couldn't have defeated Krayt, he'd have been far too open to all manner of assaults. He had the opportunity to leg it, to vanish - Bantha told him as much, despite that, he can't really do it, a part of him wants to be what he thinks he should be, it took an awful lot to near-kill and bury Cade's Jedi aspect, but even that didn't really take. Legacy slowly has that come to the fore, by the end, he won't be going back to what he was.

I get Cade exasperates the readers, you'll certainly see posts from me to that effect on the Legacy #35 thread! But there's a strange, unforgiving scepticism with regard to Cade's future that I find very odd due to it issuing from SW fans. If Vader can be redeemed, why can Cade not be deemed to have overcome his past and personal flaws?

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It certainly wasn't honorable in Rav's organization for the most part, though, which shows how far Cade has come by simply operating separately.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Rav certainly didn’t go the honorable privateer road like Nym or Xhaxin. Whilst Cade and gang kind of did when they turned independent pirates.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Back on the subject of the BHW trilogy, I feel the need to bring up another snarl. There's a character named Balancesheet. He's not a droid, he's a living, breathing being.....named Balancesheet. You would have expected him to adopt a real name once he was free of his progenitor, but nope. I had a hard time keeping straight face reading some of his scenes in the books. I know there's some weird names in the GFFA, but I find it highly implausible that people would not bat an eye at having to interact with a spider named Balancesheet. Of course, he does mostly interact with bounty hunters and other criminals, and they're not really the type of people to point out the absurdity of his name.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I already gave up on the names in BHT when we got Kuat of Kuat from the Kuats from Kuat running Kuat Drive Yards because his ancestors were the Kuats. :rolleyes:

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, how can I forget. [face_laugh]

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am gonna have to cast another vote for TOR Alderaan. Frankly...it is pretty much against everything Alderaan is supposed to be. Not just the violence, that is understandable given the circumstance, but the feudal structure and snobbish arrogance of the population of a planet that is supposed to a shining example of egalitarianism and democracy. Not to mention that the Alderaanians are not supposed to know anything about the Killiks, much less have an entire order that studies them in depth and is dedicated to countering their abilities.

And yet....I love it. I can't explain why, I just do. Maybe I just love Game of Thrones style family politics too much, and orders of monster hunters even more. Maybe I just like punching snoddy nobles in the face.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    TOR Alderaan can still became „nice“ Alderaan later, so not really a problem and the Anti Kilik socity is very hidden, so np here as well.

PS: My Bounty Hunter is a Baroness of Alderaan. ;)

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, Alderaan's history has gotten trampled a lot, especially by the Clone Wars - the pre-PT history was that Alderaan was devastated by the Clone Wars and gave up their weapons and followed a pacifistic path because of the horrors inflicted on them. Now, Alderaan apparently always (at least in the late OR) was pacifistic, with the nadir being the General Grievous comic where they have no ships of their own. Er... Another Chance, anyone?

Fortunately, EGW rolled that back a bit by making Alderaan one of the Sector Army HQs during the Clone Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.