main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Continuity Snarl Celebration thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Counterpoint, I actually think that makes sense.

* Only 200 Jedi survived the Galactic Purge.

* Only Yoda and Ben Kenobi knew Anakin Skywalker was responsible.

* The average citizen probably assumed Anakin died with the rest of the Jedi.

* The 501st probably knew Anakin was Vader and so did many of the Empire's inner circle (Tarkin, Pestage, ect) but it's not exactly something they're broadcasting.

* Anakin a.k.a Vader has serious identity issues.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    still my point was not the average joes but those who were potential bystanders who saw the march to the temple, who witnessed Anakin turning on the Jedi live! camdroids alone must have tons of footage of that event!

and the entire 501st keeping their mouths shut? not believing it. they talk amongst themselves but someone still can overhear it... intelligence listening in on soldiertalk to check their sanity for one.

and I too wonder how much did Pestage, Tarkin etc. really know about Vaders/Anakins identity?

3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm not sure if that was brought up somewhere in the thread, but the Nightsister episode does show a crucial bit of the Jedi backstory. OK, Ventress gets an emo haircut in it, but still, it's doing a good attempt at salvaging the freelance Jedi training backstory while giving us the new Nightsister background.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is actually addressed in the movie, Bail Organa is a witness to the attack and it's fairly clear he would have been killed. Given the way they handle Bail Organa, it's obvious the purging of the Temple is meant to be a secret operation whose details are meant to be kept secret. In real life, soldiers DO keep their mouths shut about classified operations, especially elites like Stormtroopers.

As for Takin, Pestage, and so on, I assume they know Anakin's true identity because they're in Palpatine's inner circle.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Here's the million dollar question... if it did turn out that Jacen's story was tied into Crosscurrent/Riptide, and he was a clone all along, would that be embraced by the fandom or derided as hackneyed storytelling? No doubt some of both, but I wonder which would prevail on these forums?

Myself, I haven't read LOTF, so I don't have the slightest idea if anything at all suggests it could make sense...

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think everyone would have viewed it as an author saving throw (see TV tropes) but I don't think anyone really has any major affection for the Darth Caedus storyline. The idea of a Solo kid turning evil had potential but, in general, no one got what they wanted out of the whole thing. Fans of Han and Leia have a SECOND Solo kid lost, fans of Jacen obviously have their hero DAMNED FOREVER, fans of Jaina have her commit fratricide, and so on. Jacen, sadly, suffered from Anakin Prequel-syndrome.

I don't think any fans of Darth Vader really got what they wanted from Anakin's Emo Teen on Steroids portrayal.

IF they *DID* do it, I'd like to see a full series of books about Jacen Solo (at least a trilogy) waking up to a world where he was one of the most hated men in the world. If nothing else, the conversation with Jaina and Tenel Ka would be AMAZINGLY awkward.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It would account for the radical personality shift - presumably similar to how Jaden Korr would have turned out if his 'bodysnatchimg' had gone the way the One Sith intended.

The Jacen of NJO seems to be a popular character - the Jacen of DNT/LotF far less so.

We'll have to see what Crucible is all about - but note the known cast list; Luke and Jacen's parents!!

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Has anybody noticed all the snarls WITHIN Tales of the Jedi?

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I loved Tales of the Jedi as a child so it's hard for me to look at it objectively other than to say The Freedon Nadd Uprising sucked.

Redemption also proves Kevin J. Anderson had a decent story in him.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Hey, I suppose no one ever said something can't be embraced by the fandom and hackneyed storytelling; it just has to be less hackneyed than what it was originally.

Of course, the big problem with that concept is alienating those that enjoy LOTF/FOTJ. And of course making things more convoluted.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It might still work as even a clone Jacen still did all of the things he did and nearly took over the galaxy. I'd be for it, even if it's hackneyed.

After all, Star Wars' twists began with "DARTH VADER IS YOUR FATHER!"

CeiranHarmony and darklordoftech like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Of course, nobody cares about these HUGE snarls...

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Lucas got the idea of doing prequels that completely ignored everything about the original story from KJA.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Who got the idea from from Vader "betraying and murdering" Anakin...

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, I don't mind any of the snarls.

It's not like Qui Gon has to be the first guy who knew the immortality power.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Emphasis on WITHIN Tales of the Jedi (not between TOTJ and other canon).

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Naga having "pure sith blood" and being "in rebellion", Ragnos exiling him and watching the Republic attack, probably many others.

19. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Right!

And after the gem that was "Death Troopers", why worry?

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Naga Sadow IS a pure Sith by Sith standards. The thing that Old Republic got wrong is that the Red Sith were cherished and awesome. No, they weren't, they were a slave race of the human Dark Jedi descendants. In the Golden Age of the Sith comics, everyone ooos and awws over Sadow because he's pure human while Ludo Kressh is a disgusting half-breed with red Sith DNA.

Lots of snarling, though in the Golden Age story, though. I hated that Trade and Its Sequel.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Indeed, it makes the Red Sith look like the Pink Sith lol.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Golden Age of the Sith, where SOMEONE thought Jedi with chords on their lightsabers was cool.

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    By TOR none of the Sith were entirely pure. They all had some human blood in them. A quest in the Academy even shows a purity obsessed Sith Lord that the Sith blood by that era was pretty much diluted by then and the writers conform the Purebloods in that era is just a term for someone with external Sith features. It's also mentioned if your not Human or Sith in The Sith Empire your screwed as a second class citizen

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    They could have gone a step further. The power source could have been a clunky backpack that you need to start with a pull-chain, and when it's running, it goes BBBBRRRRUUUUMMMM-BBBRRRRUUUUMMMM-BBRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUMMMMMM... while it belches out a cloud of exhaust. You know that a two-stroke lightsaber would be awesome to see.

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

touché! If policy is "slay the stalker" then why is Bail alive? sure they recognised him as popular politician and reported it to Palpatine :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.