main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Continuity Snarl Celebration thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe an agent of the One Sith ran into Jacen during his sojourn, Jacen pursued him, was overwhelmed by a group of Sith (something I don't think he has encountered) The One Sith place Jacen in a stasis field and create and program a clone body, take Jacen's mind and place it in the clone and place the clone in Jacen. The clone is programmed to be exactly like Jacen but they have tweaked him (Clone Jacen mind) a bit so that he will be more prone to the Dark Side. SO Real Jacen in clone body is still being held by the One Sith and this could be what the end result of Jaden's journey is in the Kemp books.

It could even be why Krayt makes the comments about Caedus in the Legacy comics series, it was a plan of his to distract the Jedi Order while he gathered his forces. What could be more distracting than the most promising Jedi of his age group falling to the dark side? That could also be why Krayt intervened with the Abeloth debacle because he realized his plan (Jacen scenario) caused serious repercussions that could foul up his ultimate goals.

As for the issue with Tenel Ka and Allana, it is still genetic prime Jacen that conceived Allana just not his mind. I think if Jacen came back it would be an obstacle to overcome for the family. But we have seen it done in other "Universes" look at the relationship between Jean Grey and Cable in the Xmen comics, he is the son of her clone but she cares for him as if he were her own son, the same with Rachel Grey who is her daughter from an alternate timeline.

I know that sounds kind of convoluted, but it's how I imagine it could work.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

=(([face_worried]:_|[face_beatup]

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

ahem... so Jacen's body got Tenel Ka pregnant while his mind was away? D'oh.. not my kind of stuff, sorry.

and messy Marvelverse as comparison isn't the best idea despite me liking the Xmen.

but I like that Krayt gets more involved and maybe had a plan there or a clone. still I want real Jacen.. to be with Tenel Ka.

Besides making Caedus a clone would run counter to the prophecy and Jacen in the end doing good and all that. it all would be fake by One Sith.. that sucks too then.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well even if Jaacen is an insane clone, him trying to save Tenel Ka and Allana is important because it shows love is even more important than the monster inside. But yes, I assume Tenel Ka and Jacen would be able to resume where they left off once he's retunited after some initial speedbumps.

5. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Yes, but it's a glorious one. The snarl of snarls. There's no other fictional universe quite like it.

Tinwe likes this.
  6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats basically your approach though. It would be like me pretending that TCW didn't exist just to try and make things work better from a continuity standpoint. What the retcons do is keep as much intact as possible - I'm not sure where you got the idea that that a retcon erasing all of Karen's work from canon is a reality at this point.

The True Mandalorians are not all dead, period.

The main retcon I'm looking at places Keldabe on the same world as Sundari - I would have had it on a different world myself with different Mandalore's for different factions, but since that didn't happen I will work with what we've got.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    No TCW just helped to fix some of the stranger things she came up with, by clearly marginalizing them even further.

Äh yes they are. Open Season is very clear on this. The Protectors Spar later founds with some similar ideas are a very different movement, as are Death Watch and the New Mandos that both outlived the True Mandalorians.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I will stand by Kalevala as the location of Sundari until I get a better option.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  9. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah I agree. I never see any of this happening. Just a fun thought.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Shouldn't the guy who appointed Kun Dark Lord of the Sith either be Dakhan or Vitiate? (with what we know now)

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The official timelines claim that Kun was created as a Sith Lord to counter Viviate.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Gnost-Dural did speculate that, but then Kun's Sith would be the "True Sith".

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, both are genuine Sith. It's just the difference between Charlemagne and the Byzantine Emperor claiming the title of Roman Emperor.

Which, literally, is a pretty good comparison.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think I see what you're saying, but rejection by the spirits you're claiming to be the successor of = no legitimacy.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Counterpoint: He doesn't actually need their support in this case since he's biologically a Sith. He was a Sith Lord before he betrayed so many of his fellows and murdered a world in order to gain biological immortality. In short, while he doesn't have their approval he's still a Sith. It's sort of like Darth Krayt who was trained by a Sith Lord (Xoxaan) even if Bane and others loathe him.

Oddly, depending on whether or not the holocron has a Sith spirit, the most illegitimate of all Sith would be Ruin and the Rule of Two Sith.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Going by biology seems racist to me.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Biology, culture, and religion.

The Kesh are Sith even if they're kind of Weak Tea Sith. Personally, I'm inclined to think that the Dark Lords of Korriban realized that Vivate was intent on annihilating all of the universe but for himself and considered that too much even for them.

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have absolutely nothing to add to the current discussion. So, I'm going to backtrack to my previous BHW gripe, only I have more to add to it.

IG-88 was a moving piece of background with a few lines. He retained his dignity for the most part, but he was relegated to the background, and while it was stated that he had reached the heights of infamy as Fett has, later on, he is described as garnering attention simply because he was on Fett's team. Same as Zuckuss; he gained notoriety from being on Fett's team, even though he was pretty much worthless and only served as a mouthpiece for the reader. And then Fett had the gall to tell him to his face that he was "not cut out for the bounty-hunting trade." Way to take a dump on Zuckuss's career, Fett. Did that make you feel like a big man?

And then, there's the Fett-****ing in the SotE comic. The first round of Fett-****ing I can excuse, as Zuckuss was forced at blaster-point to do so, and when I do get around to adapting it to audio, I plan to tweak the wording a bit to make it sound like that he's saying those "Fett's so great" lines under obvious duress. The ending bit of Fett-****ing, however, was utterly needless and was there just to make Fett seem even more big and bad than he is usually portrayed. I plan to nix that line entirely and rework the response so as to keep Zuckuss in-character. The "He is real smart, Bossk. That's why he's the best." line is out-of-character even for Zuckuss's out-of-character half! It was wholly unnecessary, too, and just served to make the other bounty hunters worship the ground Fett walks on for no good reason other than to say that Fett is the greatest thing since microwaveable sliced nuna filets.

Though, I will not fault SotE entirely. It gave me one of my absolute favorite Boba Fett quotes. After blasting 4-LOM's arm clean off, Fett picks it up and says...

"Now that's what I call disarmed!"

Unfortunately, in any audio adaptation I get around to writing, I will be nixing that line entirely. There is no way that I can make it sound cool without it being said by Connery's Bond.

RC-1991 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's not so much a snarl but I have only a rare few things I consider my personal discontinuity.

It starts at IG-88Star.

RC-1991 and TrakNar like this.
  20. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    TrakNar: It really is sad that the writers of the time decided to throw Zuckuss and the other bounty hunters under the bus in order to concentrate the glory on Boba, and unnecessary too. Hopefully one day a good author will have the courage to dig Zuckuss up and try to reinvigorate the character, and really use him to his potential. Besides, they have to have developed some sort of anti-psychotic medicine that would work for the guy.

Just as a friendly suggestion, I'd recommend taking a look at Sundari's article on Wookieepedia, which concisely illustrates the city's place on Mandalore and how it fits in Mandalorian affairs.

Yes, the True Mandalorians―the original group of supercommandos loyal to Jaster and Jango―are indeed dead and destroyed. I don't believe Rodimus is trying to dispute that at all. Many fans have taken to applying the "True Mandalorian" name as a fan-used shorthand term for the members of the warrior clans unaffiliated with the New Mandalorians or Death Watch for the sake of easy reference, as they lack any similar, convenient name.

That aside, while I won't go through your multitude of posts, quoting and replying to each of the inaccuracies or half-truths you're posting, I'll keep it short and say that on the whole, you're ignoring canon to suit your own biases or deliberately being facetious in your posts. The narrative you're attempting to pass off is not the one that Jason Fry's constructed, and picks at the slimmest of straws and circumstances to support itself.

Robimus likes this.
  21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I simply can't take TCW or the New Mandalorians seriously. To me, the New Mandalorians simply can't fit on Mandalore alongside the clans. You are one of the few people who have recognized the fact that I don't let TCW color my perceptions of the universe.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I have been dropping a considerable amount of hints here and there to various authors, and at CVI, Denning had seen that I wear my Zuckuss fandom on my sleeve (literally! I have a shirt!), and we know he likes bugs, so... Here's hoping.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, if it wasn't involved in continuity, would you be able to enjoy them? I like them because of the philosophical challenge they represent to traditional Mandalorian life.

"Why ARE we doing this, again?"

Gamiel and Mia Mesharad like this.
  24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not really as the instances of them just plainly not being united as people and clearly not all warriors are way too consistent. The Atlas also actually goes out of its way to mention that after 730 BBY those that still are warriors are not taken serious by anyone because they are considered “dead enders” and clinging to “discredited traditions” and those only consistent of a “few bands”. Sure during some 23 years of Imperial occupation they apparently started to change that attitude again, so that another 36 years down the line we supposedly actually have a population that again cares for following a Mandalore and even than it’s just 3-4 million, even if he calls in (supposedly) all Ex-Pats? Of which still only a few hundred are shown to be quality warriors.

25. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh Trak, you and Zuckuss both deserve better than Denning. If you're going to hope, you might as well hope big...

From the phrasing in that section of the Atlas, that viewpoint appears to be drawn from the New Mandalorians, who know a thing or two about bias, themselves.

The Atlas also gives a blanket population statement of 4 million for Mandalore, with no discernment for when that statement is supposedly appropriate. However, in Sacrifice, we're told by Medrit Vasur that Mandalore's always had a population somewhere around 4 million people, give or take depending on the era, and the implication made by Fenn Shysa in Order 66 is that the 4 million number applies to readily able fighters from the warrior clans, suggesting that the population of the New Mandalorians is an unknown additional number on top of the already established 4 million. Also, what definition are we using for a few? The True Mandalorians were few compared to the entirety of Mandalore's population, but Mandalore's entire population is few when compared to the number of Galactic City residents.

The call for Mandalorians throughout the galaxy to return to Mandalore in the wake of the Yuuzhan Vong War requests no more than two million individuals come to the planet. Within weeks, significantly more than two million have arrived, with no indication that that's anywhere near all of the off-world Mandalorians in the galaxy. And there's also no indication that there are only a hundred or so are of warrior quality. The Mandalorians Boba takes during the Battle of Fondor are a small group he brought together in a short time, using the open mercenary work loophole he established to bypass Mandalore's planetary neutrality during the conflict, hence why the troops are only ever referred to as supercommandos and not the Protectors.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.