Saga The Conversation (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, One-Post) ROTS SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ShrunkenJedi, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just a quick little thing I was inspired to write after I saw ROTS... another fic is in the way, but not just yet ;)

The Conversation (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon) SPOILERS!

Obi-Wan stared over the dunes beyond the Lars moisture farm, and saw the twins suns go down. It was painfully hard not to see it as a metaphor. Not a metaphor for the newborn twins, no: they were rising. It was their parents?

Speaking of parental figures, his own Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, was staring at him from two glowing blue eyes, arms outstretched. They physically could not touch.

?I am proud of you, Obi-Wan,? he said ?Come, walk with me?. Instead of lifting a burden from Obi-Wan, it made it heavier.

?They?re all dead! Younglings, women, men? Anakin too,? he said. It was as if the arrival of his long-dead master had opened up a floodgate that had remained shut when he talked to anyone else. His statement to Yoda that he couldn?t kill Anakin was mere need-to-know fact, as he saw it. He hadn?t confessed how bad he felt to Padme. He had talked to Anakin himself as if he was another person entirely.

?His spirit lives on,? Qui-go told him. ?Can?t you feel it??

?It was like a sun before. Now I only feel night.?

?The Dark Side,? Qui-Gon said, with his head bowed and his eyes closed.

?No,? Obi-Wan contradicted his former master. ?I?ve felt him full of anger before, it?s nothing like that. You?re not telling me something.?

?He?s also weak,? Qui-Gon told him succinctly. ?You did nearly kill him.?

?I couldn?t... I left him to the will of the Force.?

?And the Dark Side kept him alive. I? do not believe he would have survived had he not hated you with such a passion.?

?Well, that?s a comfort!,? Obi-Wan growled, kicking a rock.

?Yes, let go of your anger. You?ve bottled it up? don?t let it consume you.? Qui-Gon motioned to move on, and Obi-Wan hesitantly began walking again. ??I had a padawan who went to the Dark side too, if you remember.?

?Yes; Xanatos. But he wasn?t a Sith! He didn?t kill nearly all the other Jedi! Strange way for a Jedi apprentice to surpass his Master: in the training of padawans to fall to the Dark Side??

?Let go of your pride, Obi-Wan. You didn?t choose his path. Did you listen to him??

?Of course not! Why would I listen to a Sith?he would only lie to me!?

?Because he is still the chosen one.?

?Is he?,? Obi-Wan asked, genuinely unsure. ?I can?t see how??

?He is,? Qui-Gon nodded. ?Some way, he will fulfill his destiny, whether he likes it or not. Or whether we like it or not. The only thing he, or you, or I, can influence is how the prophecy is fulfilled.?

?Balance, that is the prophecy? ?The Empire is not balance, it is power for the Sith!?

?Precisely. The Empire will crumble. But, how??

?I don?t know, Master,? Obi-Wan said. Then he began to get very quiet. ?I nearly killed him. I would have, I almost did. I can never forget that. I left him to die!?

?You left him to the Force; it could have gone either way. If the Force did not want him to be alive, he would not be.?

?I know,? Obi-Wan said, taking one last look back at the setting suns. They would come up again tomorrow. He nodded his head, calmer than he had been. ?I know.?
  2. Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Knight

star 1
  3. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, thanks and glad you like it, Aelan! ;)
  4. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    =D= I loved it! Very nicely done. :D
  5. SiriKenobi12 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nice, very nice! I thought it was great!
  6. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hmmmm, I had been very, very upset with Obi-Wan leaving Anakin the way he did but somehow... ?You left him to the Force; it could have gone either way. If the Force did not want him to be alive, he would not be.? Somehow, that really eases my mind... even though I realize he HAD to survive.

Excellent viggie ShrunkenJedi.
  7. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    VaderLVR: Glad you liked this, thanks for continuing to read my stuff! I'll try my best to make it worth your while.

SiriKenobi: Thanks ;)

HealerLeona: I liked the idea, too... apparently (from reading the ep. 3 forum) one of the rationales for Kenobi leaving Anakin like that in the book was indeed that he was leaving him to the will of the Force. So it's not completely original ;)
  8. Jedi_Tigris Force Ghost

star 4
    Very nice. I like the idea of Obi-Wan leaving Anakin/Vader to the Force. Good job showing his feelings - conflicting guilt, anger. =D=
  9. DarthAJ Jedi Master

star 4
    Very good! I loved the analogy of the setting suns and rising suns. You captured the moment.
  10. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

Very good 'missing moment' scene. I really wished we could have seen a good Qui-Gon cameo myself. And it really makes sense that Obi-Wan would have felt such self-castigation. Poor Obi! :_|

Great viggie!
  11. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Tigris: Thanks! See what I said to Leona about Obi-Wan leaving Anaikin to the Force.

AJ: Glad you liked my twin suns metaphor :D

LadyPadme: Thanks. Poor Obi? Indeed! I felt he was entitled to a little release of his feelings. [face_laugh]
  12. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Very nice! I especially like the wisdom in the line, ?You left him to the Force; it could have gone either way. If the Force did not want him to be alive, he would not be.?

Seen from that point of view, the saga has so much more meaning. Thanks for pointing it out! :)
  13. mithrissa Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd like to echo the sentiments of Healer_Leona and say that I too have been angry at Obi-Wan for leaving Anikan/Vader to die. I felt it was vindictive and self-righteous. I'm glad you've found another (emotionally convincing and well written) way to frame it.

Can't wait to read more of your writing!
  14. QuiGonnJenn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I always assumed that Obi Wan thought he was dead. That is the way it plays out in "Secrets of the Jedi." He finds out later that he didn't actually kill Anakin. But I really like this spin on it too. It fits with what was actually shown in the movie and it has Qui Gon in it. I'm up for any story with Qui Gon's ghost talking to Obi Wan.
  15. LukeSkywalker_2001 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmm.....I like it....Obi-Wan still struggles with what happened to Anakin....but then realizes that it's not all his fault :)
  16. Aiel Jedi Master

star 4
    A lovely way to wrap up RotS for Obi-Wan. Well done.
  17. PadmeSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Very nice! A good perspective on Obi-Wan's actions. A much needed one too. :)

_PSK_
  18. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  19. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks, guys! I'm flattered! [face_blush]

Valiowk: Thanks for reading, I'm glad you found something in that line!

mithrissa: Thanks, I try! [face_blush]. I put links to more of my stories in my bio.

QuiGonnJenn: Glad you liked this. I really felt a need to imagine what Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would talk about when they met again!

LukeSkywalker_2001: You put it beautifully! :D

Aiel: Thanks!

PadmeSolo: Glad you thought so!

FelsGoddess: Thanks to you, too!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.