main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The coolest lightsaber move ever.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by forceonline, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forceonline

forceonline Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2003
    That Count Dooku is one great character. I just watched the Episode III webdoc of Obi Wan. There is a shot in that webdoc of the battle between Obi Wan and Dooku which didn't make it in AOTC. It has the coolest lightsaber move ever. You see Obi Wan and Dooku fighting and suddenly Dooku turns around and slashes at Obi Wan, who barely blocks it. Has anyone seen it? It is such a shame this shot didn't make it into Episode II.

The lightsaberbattles in Episode II were way too short. Anyone agree?....

2. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Yes we've been through this many times, everyone thought the fights in AOTC sucked and should have been longer.

3. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Yes we've been through this many times, everyone thought the fights in AOTC sucked and should have been longer.

Speak for yourself, aPPmaSTer. Please don't attempt to put words into other people's mouths. I wasn't the least bit displeased with the lightsaber sequences at the end of the film; perhaps my opinion is in the minority, but I fail to understand the public lashing that this sequence recieves. However, you're right about one thing, aPPmaSTer - this is a redundant thread.

4. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Sorry Tyrannus, when I said everyone I meant the majority. Excuse the carelessness.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    ^What Tyranus said. Personally I though the Yoda/Dooku fight was awesome.

6. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    i liked the fights and all, but what i find disapointing is all the stuff they cut out. the fights only would have been better with all those scenes left in......

7. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I've never seen the extended action of the AOTC duel. Is the only place you can see it in that webdoc or is there another place to view it's awesomeness?

8. CommanderJamesBond

CommanderJamesBond Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    I think the Dooku duel was WAY too short and lacked any real excitement. Of course, this is just my opinion.

9. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The Battle of Geonosis too short and boring? riiight

10. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    the yoda/dooku scean was very good...i mean it could have been longer but then dooku would have died....

yoda showed some skills there...but i think the best it yet to come :)

11. MoD-Sith

MoD-Sith Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    i think they should ahve had the part with dooku and anakin both fighting with dual sabers in there, that would have rocked my world.

12. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Dooku has ZERO character development. The fight means nothing.

Shame.

13. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I liked the scene where Obi-Wan kills the big Praying Mantis-like creature. He seemed to enjoy getting rid of that thing.

14. -Data-

-Data- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    I always liked Ankin's little move when Obi-Wan tosses him the second lightsaber; the spinning just looked cool, even if it wasn't very effective.

15. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999

Yeah that does look pretty cool. Would have liked to see him fight with two for longer.

16. forceonline

Dec 17, 2003
    MANDALORIAN,

Dooku is about 300 years old and has ten minutes of screen time. How much character development would you like?

I STARTED THIS THREAD BECAUSE OF THE DELETED DOOKU-OBI WAN FIGHTING SCENES. IT IS IN THE EPISODE III WEBDOC, BECOMING OBI WAN, AFTER ABOUT 2/3 OF THE DOC. DOES ANYONE LIKE THE MOVE DOOKU MAKES DURING THIS FIGHT? I MEAN THE ONE WHERE HE MAKS A BACK SLASH.

17. DARTH_RADHA

DARTH_RADHA Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2004
    That no-look backwards slice? I think that was pretty darn cool indeed. If it were a little faster, and followed up by a downward type kill slice on the turnaround, that woulda been really neat.

18. -Data-

Mar 8, 2005
    Dooku is about 300 years old and has ten minutes of screen time. How much character development would you like?

He has plenty of character development in the Clone Wars trade paperbacks. Take a gander at em, and the great Darth Tyranus becomes that much more interesting.

19. forceonline

Dec 17, 2003
    Agreed Data!

I wish they had put the no-look backward slash. Damn it is sooo cool!

20. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999

Well, giving him more screen time would be a start.

And not cutting out the library scene where they discuss Dooku.

And maybe having interaction between him and main characters before the arena.

And may be have him do something significant to further the story.

Perhaps explore his motivation for working with Sidious.

Having him as a throwaway 'Sith of the Week' for a lightsabre fight doesn't make me invest in the character.

Were there any duels in any of the other films that were quite so inconsequential?

21. -Data-

Mar 8, 2005
    Were there any duels in any of the other films that were quite so inconsequential?

You saw Phantom Menace, right?
    There was Maul vs Qui-Gon on Tatooine. What exactly did that accomplish? Nothing.
    The Nabbo duel with Darth Maul is completely pointless... Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon look up, and see a Sith. Uh oh, time to pull out our lightsabers!
    If anything, Maul was the "Sith of the Week." He brought nothing to the movie, save for flash and his wow-factor. Eye candy. So he killed Qui-Gon... that was his most important contribution.
    Dooku's most important contribution would most likely be the fact that he had the Death Star plans. He also drove Anakin further into the Dark Side; Skywalker's pride took a direct hit in losing that battle.

22. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Yes they were too short but the way I see it George is holding off for ROTS and that flick right there should satisfy us all.

23. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999
    You saw Phantom Menace, right?

Yep.

There was Maul vs Qui-Gon on Tatooine. What exactly did that accomplish? Nothing.

I beg to differ. It introduced the Sith as a tangible, physical threat. It showed that the skills of Maul could equal a Jedi Master and it allowed Qui Gon to identify that SIth were involved.

The Nabbo duel with Darth Maul is completely pointless... Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon look up, and see a Sith. Uh oh, time to pull out our lightsabers!

Well, it killed off Qui Gon, gave Obi the rank of Jedi Knight, Obi took on Anakin as a result. Also it left Sidious needing a new apprentice.

If anything, Maul was the "Sith of the Week." He brought nothing to the movie, save for flash and his wow-factor. Eye candy. So he killed Qui-Gon... that was his most important contribution.

I agree. Maul should have been a much more developed character. Either that or have Dooku in TPM. One or the other - TWO underdeveloped Sith characters is not good.

Dooku's most important contribution would most likely be the fact that he had the Death Star plans.

This was a quirky idea that Lucas put in, at the last minute, on one of his whims. The Death Star isn't built for another 25 years and its appearance is solely to please fanboys.

He also drove Anakin further into the Dark Side; Skywalker's pride took a direct hit in losing that battle.

Hmmm. He could have lost any type of battle with anyone. His fight with Dooku is pointless - they had no interaction and had not said one word to eachother before that point.

24. Jedi_Majik

Jedi_Majik Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2003
    There seems to be this notion that in order to fight someone there needs to be more of a reason than he's on the other team. In war, they don't know one another personally, does that mean there can be no good battles?

Is "you're gonna pay for all the jedi you killed," not reason enought? How about the fact that Dooku "allegedly" tried to kill Ani's woman? Still? Maybe the fact that you had us hunted by 3 freaky animals for sport, could that possibly be cause for a throwdown?

Darth Maul/Sids, man they were the "Phantom Menace." We weren't supposed to know everything about them. There's something to be said for leaving something to the imagination. I know, this is not new ground. But for me, the vague nature of the development of Dooku has always kept me guessing about his motives, and makes the deception with a captive Obi Won all the more thrilling (and one of my favorite scenes in the saga).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.