main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA THE CORONET

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Tenken, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Hey everyone, I just recieved some disturbing news concerning the Coronet. It turns out that if Regal does not get confirmation that the Coronet will get Episode 3 from Fox/Lucasfilm soon that they will not be renewing their lease after December. Now I KNOW that without a doubt the Coronet will be receiving Episode 3 but ONLY if it stays open! I want some general counsel right now before I act to start pulling in contacts and allies to counter this growing threat that the last Star Wars may not play at the best theater where the first Star Wars originally played in 77!

I say it's time to antee up, place all bets, kick in, and pull every ace in the hole we have or else we will have no last Coronet block party come May 19th, 2005. Please respond ASAP, I have no time for prolonged discussion in a commitee.

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Interesting. I doubt that Fox or Lucas would NOT book the Coronet, though.

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I was just about to plan the line-up for the film. Hopefully we can do it, one last time!

4. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Question: Does anyone have any contacts at FOX distribution?

5. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Alright all, here's the low down in the Coronet thus far. The contract with the Goldman Institute for leasing the Coronet expires this December and Regal is not sure they will be able to renew the contract. Thus they theather will be destroyed. However, I went the to the Coronet today and they feel that if there was confirmation that the Coronet is guaranteed Episode 3 then they can remain open at least for showing the last Star Wars ever. This however depends on FOX distribution and if they decide to send a copy to the Coronet. There is actually NOTHING we can do to save the theather itself BUT Episode 3 is still possible AND possibly showing all 6 SWs and even all 3 LOTRs but that's if the lease is extended in the first place.

As far as I know it looks like I'm on my own so I am no longer asking for help. Should I save the Coronet all by myself then I'll be CONSIDERING leaving my post as CR of SFFF. If I don't then none of it really matters all that much anyway and will definetly be leaving effective the end of December. Mainly it's because I wanna enjoy seeing the movie as Rogue Squadron's leader AND my term would be up anyway. I nominate Matt as CR to take over since I'm sure he's got back up plans already in the works should the Coronet fall. All I request actually is to have the title of "SFFF's Guardian" when I go.

PS There was a sign from the Force when I was at the Coronet. Literally, the Episode 3 banner was hanging in the lobby... There is still hope...

6. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Ep 3 at the Coronet was always a foregone conclusion to me which is why I was never worried.

7. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I hope you guys get to see it at the Coronet. I still don't know where I'll be when the movie rolls around. All I know is I want to be in Sac or SF when the time comes. I was just up there for two days this past week and was struck at how much I felt at home there. It was like I had never left and it hurt to leave again.

Ming, I understand your wanting to step down, I just hope you'll still at least lurk on the boards. You've done a great job with the SFFF and I know they are a stronger group for your leadership.

8. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Ming,
    Did you at all try to get in contact with S.S. or M.F.? And if so, what did they tell you regarding this matter? Or did they just say to get hold of Fox Distribution. You're not alone in this. Trust me, I want to save the Coronet as much as you...

9. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Unfortunately it's not a forgone conclusion. There is a very good chance it is the beginning of the end. And yes, SS and MF were one of the first folks I talked too. SS suggested I would need to talk to FOX distribution also and inturn they would be need to contact LFL... Unfortunately they can not interfer directly. If this is my last act as CR then I intend to make it count.

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'll try and contact a Bothan spy or two...

11. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    It would great to have it there one last time.

I had wondered if SS or MF would be helpful.

Perhaps a bit of incentive to LFL since their employees saw the films there in the past. It would be a waste.

Check this out:
    http://www.dcswcc.com/childrens.shtml

Perhaps a cross promotion or own local event for charity premiere:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7237

However, LFL has done the premiere at UA Galaxy for Ep 1&2.

Any auggestions? As a Jedi Master once said, "...always the future in motion."

12. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    OK, update of plan A: SS has graciously helped in tracking some FOX distribution folks that are currently in Japan. Unfortunately due to stupid things like laws and stuff like that they can't say the Coronet can recieve a movie this early. The earliest they can say something would probably be April.

I'm activating my plan B although timing is of the essence now. My plan C is on stand by... and yes I do actually have plans, I'm not making stuff up. This is what I live for! Matt, who are you planning to bring in on this offensive? We'll talk later.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Just pushing the topic up, with previous updates:

Posted by Jedi_Tenken:

Dropped by the Net today, it's still standing... Feb is the new "closing" month... However, they have no more movies scheduled after this stint of Phantom of the Opera. That is all for now on that.

Also I met the Mayor today, Gavin Newsom is damn tall. We only got ten minutes rather than half an hour but he's a busy fellow so no way i could sneak in the Coronet as a topic. However, I made some neat contacts at City Hall...

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    What a coincidence, Ming! I met his soon-to-be ex-wife Kimberly. She used to be a lingerie model before she was a prosecutor. Beauty AND brains?! What guy in their right mind would want that in a woman? ;)

15. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I noted that he was still wearing his ring during the meeting.

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    You noted one thing, but you were thinking another, right? ;)

17. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    ummm... sorry Matt sarcasm isn't coming over well over the boards. What in the blue hell are you talking about?

18. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Sorry. How do I rephrase this...his WIFE, dude!

19. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Well... see... I haven't actually SEEN his wife or at least I don't recall. So thus it's hard to have such imagery of someone you've never seen... Ya savy?

20. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    Semi-off topic...but here is a link regarding the state of the Mayor's nuptials w/ a pic of him and and his beloved in happier times. Enjoy Ming!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050106/480/caer10101060255

21. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It's too bad, they look like a nice couple. This whole marriage and divorce crap is just too much crap to deal with.

22. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    Everyone and definitely for you Ming --

Just google-ed "The Coronet," and here are a few web-sites regarding the general state of it and/or actually saving it:

http://www.savesf.com/theater_coronet.html

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/1612

BTW - This article is from the SF Examiner. Look at the irony on the date in which it was first published:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/052504n_coronet

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Just found out from a former co-worker who's now a spokesperson from Lucasfilm that they still don't know which theaters are getting ROTS, even the Coronet. The charity premieres set for May 12th don't have theaters set for those either. If they need costumed attendees to help with atmosphere for those (be it 501st or RL as well), they'll let us know!

24. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It's in god hands now. (and by god I mean GL's hands)

25. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Hi everyone. I'm the strange Aussie chick who saw Episode 2 with some of you in 2002.

I just wanted to say that you guys HAVE to see Episode 3 there, and were my life a little differnt, I would be right there with you!

It was an amzing experience for me to travel so far, to be in a place that cold with people so odd..but so like me!, and in a theatre with so much history around the Star Wars legend.

Amazing things happened to me in that place, and even though I didn't sit with you lot, I bloody well heard the lot of you, and enjoyed every tiny second of my journey to SF and Episode 2.

If it means anything, there's an Aussie chick wishing that you succeed in this quest, and that you all get to see it at the Coronet, and that you take a dummy of me with you on May 19th!!

See ya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.