THE CORONET

Discussion in 'San Francisco, CA' started by Jedi_Tenken, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/04/BABADIGEST2.DTL

"The Coronet on Geary Boulevard, one of San Francisco's few remaining neighborhood movie houses, is set to show its last film Feb. 13 to make room for senior housing, a representative for the property owner said Thursday.

The site is owned by the Institute on Aging, which has plans to put senior services and 120 units of housing there by 2007. The nonprofit senior- care organization paid $8.5 million in 2000 for the 1,230-seat movie theater, located just east of Arguello Boulevard."

page B - 4 of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Somehow ironic since they are showing Million Dollar Baby and when you consider how the movie ends. So I think we have time for one more visit before the final curtain comes down.
  2. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    Robert,
    You beat me to it. Just woke up, picked up the paper and saw the article. I know the end is inevitable. But after the good news to what happened to one of our members earlier this week - I believe anything is possible.

I know the cliche is that you can never go back. I already felt it during the opening of AOTC. As fun as it was, it did not have the innocence, anticipation, camping-out, or just plain excitement of either the 1997 re-release or the opening of TPM. I even met Ming in the'97 line. To give the rest of you insight into what I am talking about, here are 2 articles, where both my brother(Jedhead1) and I were featured in:

http://www.journalism.sfsu.edu/www/pubs/gater/spring97/feb04/STARWARS.html

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/1999/05/19/NEWS1739.dtl

But you know what, it still ain't over until I see a giant wrecking ball that looks like the Death Star demolish the whole site...so there still is "a new hope"...
  3. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    To quote a famous Jedi, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!" It's sad, but at least I'll the memories, and the PROOF that I was part of the madness of the Coronet, as seen in the documentary, "The Beginning" on the Episode I DVD. :D
  4. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    In today's SF Chronicle, there are 2 pieces about the Coronet worth posting a link to. The 1st one is an op-ed tribute piece by Ken Garcia(B5) While the other is a shorter piece worth showing it it's entirety. It is located on the back page of the Style Section (C8) by Leah Garchick.
    Do read these articles:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/02/07/EDGT0ARPDT1.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/garchik/

"The 56-year-old built-for-blockbusters Coronet, site of snaking lines for many a "Star Wars'' movie, notorious for a tough no-outside candy policy (it's a good thing the three-strikes law didn't apply to my transgressions), will close next week. In 1929, the first picture show at the Coronet Theater on Geary was "I Was a Male War Bride,'' with Cary Grant; the last picture show will be "Million Dollar Baby.''
    David Werdegar, president and chief executive officer of the Institute on Aging, which owns the site, says he hopes demolition will start by the end of the year, clearing the site for a six-story facility to provide health care and living quarters for the elderly. He knows that nostalgic moviegoers will mourn the loss of the Coronet, but he's stopped by several times during the run of the well-reviewed "Million Dollar Baby'' and found only 50 or 60 people there. "While there'll be sadness at the loss,'' said Werdegar, "I'm hoping the community will say, 'Look at what we get in return.' ''

But Balboa Theater operator Gary Meyer suggests that since the Coronet's so well-known for successful "Star Wars'' runs, George Lucas should rent it to keep it open for the May premiere of the last movie in that series. Meyer, who's been in the vanguard of recent struggles with the Castro Theatre, also thinks the Coronet's proximity to the Kabuki might make it ideal for one "final glory,'' this year's San Francisco International Film Festival, but the festival's already scheduling movies at the Castro. "

5. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    This Werdegar guy is a total !@#$%^&*... He could have waited at least a 4 more months and the he would have seen a theater packs with 1200 strong with another 1200 outside ready and waiting!!!!!!! Whatever... I want this guys e-mail so I can totally tell him off! UGH!
  6. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    Here is a link to what basically looks like the Coronet's obit. Enjoy!:

http://www.outsidelands.org/coronet.html
  7. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    ummm... "enjoy"?? Not the word I'd use introducing this article.
  8. TK-855 Jedi Knight

star 1

FYI, it's not just Werdegar. And, to be fair, Institute on Aging is the parent group for organizations like On Lok Health, which serves the Asian community.

Bill Schechner, who admitted he should have chased the story when I first mentioned it to him, says the Regal Theaters group is based in Tennessee, and they've been about as responsive as a dead womp rat.

But, sad to say, the Coronet was the crown jewel from a time when only a couple of theaters in a region would have the blockbuster film ... now, it opens in almost every city, on multiple screens. Strangely enough, they NEED something like a Star Wars crowd, but they can't get that off most blockbuster pics. They'd probably love to have us, but one day (or weekend) of Fan Force can't beat back the economic reality they face the rest of the time. As Ben Kenobi put it, the truths we cling to greatly depend on our point of view.

9. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    Reality can be a bad thing for us. And it can heart.
  10. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't give a rats @ss about what community is served, those monkeys could have waited 4 months more... They won't even be ready to bring the building down till next year!
  11. DarthVader79 San Francisco FF Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Save your thoughts for saturday, I want to get it all on film.
  12. BlueHarvest1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys. I was there for Episode Midnight Show. Good Time! Hope they have one last run for Revenge of the Sith.
  13. TK-855 Jedi Knight

star 1

Ming:

Hey, I'd love to see Ep. III at the Coronet as much as anyone else, but we're talking a couple of weekends of strong box office vs. those four months of having maybe 50 people on any given day. The financial reality ain't gonna change because you're pissed off. (And 50 people, even at today's box office prices, won't even pay for the staff needed to run the place.)

Fans can appeal to history, to the 'last hurrah' for a quality movie house ... but unless you want to spend those million bucks you got as outgoing CR, we don't have financial clout.

As for On Lok Health, sorry you feel that way. They took care of my grandmother in her last years, when she was almost completely senile. At least they're not building condos or a Hummer dealership.

Bob
  14. BespinPlayerzClub Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey everyone -

Been a while since I've posted on the boards.

Even though I'm a transplant living in the Bay, the Coronet is a special place for me. Two days after moving here from LA, I saw the the Special Edition Star Wars in January '97 there, and subsequently saw Eps. I & II on the first day of release. (JedHead were you the one in the Red 5 jersey?)

Sucks to see it go. Maybe I'll peep Million Dollar Baby this weekend and say farewell.

Peace...

Lando Jr. in Daly City
  15. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, the jersey is mine, but it was my brother, Anasian Skywalker, who was wearing it that night.
  16. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Bob, that's nice and all, but it still doesn't change the fact that the building will be there but Episode 3 will not.
  17. TK-855 Jedi Knight

star 1

The building doesn't run the projectors and make the popcorn or clean itself after each showing.

You're also assuming absolutely nothing is being done to the building prior to its scheduled demolition, when I imagine that the interior could be stripped of its seats, lighting fixtures, etc. (that's still probably not a task taking from now until December, but it's not necessarily a case of nothing happening).

Right now, it's like trying to save Alderaan from the Death Star.

Of course, if someone wanted to do some guerilla social commentary, (and I am *NOT* suggesting that anyone in FanForce actually do anything that could be construed as illegal), any number of signs could be taped to the building or whatever barricade surrounds it.

On a somewhat related tangent, I'm hearing rumors that Morrison Planetarium will not be rebuilt when the Academy of Sciences completes its remodeling (its doors were closed shortly after its 50th Anniversary). The plans seem to be calling the new space a 'multimedia theater' (which could include a new star projector, but no one's saying much about that). The original star projector, as far as I know, went into the scrap heap.

Next thing you know, we'll pave over Endor and turn it into a parking lot.
  18. DarthVader79 San Francisco FF Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    ^That was damn good stuff, would you mind saying it for my documentary?
  19. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Bob, LET me be pissed, I rather not be calmed down by "logical" arguments nor flawed SW analogies that have half bearings on the current scenario. The things we'd like to count on, no matter how stable they may seem turn to shadows and dust of their former glory and in this case thousands will not get to experience this particullar magic one last time.
  20. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    "Coronet movie house earns short reprieve"
    Demian Bulwa

Monday, February 14, 2005

Fans of San Francisco's Coronet Theater who arrived Sunday to watch a final film before the 56-year-old movie house is converted into senior housing learned that the theater wasn't closing -- at least for another week or so.

David Werdegar, president and chief executive officer of the Institute on Aging, which now owns the building, said theater operator Regal Entertainment Group decided to play the movie "Million Dollar Baby" for at least another week because it was drawing big crowds. Regal's lease runs out at the end of the month.

The 1,200-seat Coronet on Geary Boulevard is the largest single-screen, first-run movie theater in San Francisco.

The nonprofit Institute on Aging plans to put senior services and 120 units of housing there by 2007.

Page B - 2

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/14/BAGUBBAKFB1.DTL

**Maybe since everyone will be here at WonderCon, why not a little field-trip to the theater this weekend?
    Just a thought...

p.s. On a lighter semi-off topic, regarding Valentines Day on Leah Garchick's column @ The Chron.: "When the best man's Chewbacca, that's bad.'' (Two women on the possibility of a "Star Wars''-themed wedding, overheard on BART by Kathie O'Reilly.) :D
  21. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    This is just wrong now... it's just a tease at this point. Okay Robert I think your suggestion is valid, let's torch the place!!! We'll say good bye our way!
  22. SWFAN3 Force Ghost

star 1
    Hey, Ming.

Perhaps you should try to have a meeting with David Werdegar.

Maybe they can reopen for a party event in May since it was stated it would not destroyed for another week.
    If it is a charity event, it can be used to have the event.

Hey, it would awesome to have Unity 2 there in May.

If they leave the film equipment there, we can show the movie and sell tickets...whoops getting carried away again.

Thank you. ET
  23. TK-855 Jedi Knight

star 1

DV: Sure. Which part?

Ming:

Sure, get mad. Yell, scream, curse the fates ... but are you going to do that all the way to May 19th? Are you going to pull a Julia 'Butterfly' Hill and camp on the marquee?

If you were to have five minutes to persuade the folks at Regal to keep the place open, would you spend it yelling, or would you try one of those 'logical' arguments?

Mad is fine, but Star Wars has survived worse, including studio executives who didn't believe in the product.

Look on the bright side. We've already beaten the Trekkies by taking the Presidio for the Letterman campus. :D
  24. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't think your "calming" me down Bob, in fact it's just the opposite... Acknowledging what you think I feel is a mockery and you have NO idea what I'm feeling. Just stop trying to explain "why" etc. etc. and leave me the hell alone about this issue already.
  25. libbyhelen Jedi Padawan

Calling all Coronet Lovers! It will be a MAJOR uphill battle, but the effort to save the COronet is NOT doomed. The proposed IOA/Bridge Housing project is undergoing an EIR by the Planning Department, and the historical significance of the Coronet is in question. I am working feverishly to try to find evidence that will save the theater from the wrecking ball. I have written to George Lucas, but have not received a response. Does anyone out there have a contact at Lucasfilm? While Regal may pull out in March (the 17th, to be exact), no demolition will occur until the EIR is completed, and that is still a couple months off. PLEASE contact me, if you want to help save this beloved theater!!! I can be reached @ libby_b@pacbell.net, or phone @ 415.386.6432.
    THIS IS NO JOKE. THere are two neighborhood associations working on this, and we need your support.
    Thanks,
    Libby B.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.