main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA THE CORONET

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Tenken, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Thank you. Keep us updated please. We need to know info ASAP so we can make plans with Metreon for a midnight show if the Coronet situation falls through. I wouldn't want to make an agreement with them, only to find out that the Coronet will be showing it after all.

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Calling all Coronet Lovers! It will be a MAJOR uphill battle, but the effort to save the COronet is NOT doomed. The proposed IOA/Bridge Housing project is undergoing an EIR by the Planning Department, and the historical significance of the Coronet is in question. I am working feverishly to try to find evidence that will save the theater from the wrecking ball. I have written to George Lucas, but have not received a response. Does anyone out there have a contact at Lucasfilm? While Regal may pull out in March (the 17th, to be exact), no demolition will occur until the EIR is completed, and that is still a couple months off.

I applaud your efforts. But I would not count on Lucas to help. If he has not stepped in so far it's not likely he would step in now.

The EIR is reviewed by the Board of Supervisors and even though we may have many sympathetic ears on the board, it still doesn't help when Regal is unwilling to renew a lease on a building that has been losing money. We all know how much rent is in the city, consider how much it is for a property the size of the Coronet.

3. rogue-twelve

rogue-twelve Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey all,
    Since Regal's cost of renting the Coronet has come up, do any of us have a figure for what it's running them? It's going to be a lot, obviously, and I'm not neccessarily saying we should start a fundraiser or anything, but hey...

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm hesitant to interfer since it seems like the theater is lost regardless of what we do. If you want information however... I have a few sources. My service is yours, let me know what you need.

Whoa... Rogue Twelve, when the heck did you pop in?!

5. rogue-twelve

rogue-twelve Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2003
    I've been keeping track of this thread since it started... just haven't had much to say about it.

6. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Isn't there some way to get this theater preserved as a historical landmark or something?

I'd hate to see the last of the art deco, single screen theaters destroyed!

7. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    My roommate said he saw a small blurb in the Chronicle a few weeks ago saying that Lucas was going to rent the Coronet himself or something to show the movie. I didn't have the chance to read this myself, but my friend is a SW fan from back in the day, and I don't think he would take a mention like that lightly. He said it was an inconspicuous note buried in the paper. Although I can't figure out how Lucas would benefit from doing this,so I'm a bit skeptical along that line. Maybe it's kind of quiet right now....Who knows, and I certainly don't want to get anyone's hopes up, including my own, for nothing. But I thought I'd mention it.
    I've never been to this theater myself. Here's hoping!

8. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    searching the Chronicle, this is the last blurb that came up:

George Lucas is honorary chairman of the May 12 premiere of "Star Wars -- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith,'' to benefit the Koret Family House. The Coronet will be closed, so the event will move, to a place not yet decided.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/15/DDGH1B9QUU1.DTL

THis was dated 2/15

9. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Hmm, my roomie must have been wrong then.

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    My spies tell me that it will NOT be at the Coronet.

11. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    I hoped Million Dollar Baby would win Best Picture.
    It would keep the Coronet open a little while longer.

I figured the charity premiere would not take place there. Most likely Galaxy since it had both Ep. 1 and 2 charity premieres.

Too bad since it is only a little more than 2 months away.

Show the film for a month. Closed in June 2004.
    It would be a great ending.
    Oh, well, you never know. The future always in motion.

Thank you.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    According to today's SF Chronicle, TODAY is the last day for the Coronet. Drink a pint today in tribute! [face_good_luck] So long, old friend. :(

13. BespinPlayerzClub

BespinPlayerzClub Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Damn, well at least I got to see MDB in the last week. Ok, so where next? Fellas, help a brother out. I got folks coming from LA the weekend of 3/19 to see Ep III.

Is everyone Metreon-bound?

14. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Unless theres a miracle, then yeah the Metreon it is.

15. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I heard the news in Tahoe from AJ... He has been working on this issue. More news it to come but there are other things at work here that may still result in something really cool for the theather but probably not in time for Episode 3. I'll keep you guys apprised when I know more.

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Please do! I'd hate to see this old theater close!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.