main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Corporate Sector in the NEU and the ST era and the ST itself.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Mar 13, 2016.

?

Should there be a Solo family novel where they visit the Corporate Sector and battle the CSA??

Poll closed Sep 3, 2021.
  1. Yes

56.3%
  2. No

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Will we ever see the Corporate Sector ever again in the NEU? In perhaps ST era novels?? Will we see Han,Leia and Chewie take young Ben Solo in the Falcon to visit the Corporate Sector and perhaps reunite with Bollux and Blue Max and Doc and Jessa and perhaps battle the Corporate Sector Authority armada. I know that the Han Solo trilogy by Brian Daley has been dubbed Legends. But I think it would be great if the Corporate Sector figured into the ST/NEU.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Eh, it's just one sector, don't want to overplay it. Especially since we've gone the "evil corporate overlords" route in the PT now. Only if it's truly an original story, or just about the fringes of galactic society, should it be highlighted again.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, with the information about the fragmented galaxy in the Propaganda book coming out, it's certainly a possibility as one of the 'micro-states' that chooses not to join with the New Republic (which wouldn't be that different from how it was handled in the EU).

On a related note, I really hope that FFG makes a Corporate Sector sourcebook, especially to make up for the lost boxed set when WEG folded. It would be a perfect setting for the Edge of the Empire RPG.

4. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I just thought that an adventure in the Corporate Sector would make a good Solo family adventure with Han,Chewie,Leia and young Ben in the Millennium Falcon since the Empire doesn't reform into the First Order until TFA. Since Han and Chewie visited the CS before ANH but again does it really have to fade into the Legends stories? Couldn't Han and Chewie still had adventures in the CS against the CSA before ANH but perhaps fighting some different enemies from the Clone wars era with their own fleet of warships in the CS and form allies with the CSA fleet and years later the Solo family battle the CSA fleet in the Falcon in a new novel written by James Luceno????? I wonder if the Picket Fleet of CSA warships & starfighters like the Marauder Corvettes and the IRD starfighters from Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy will reappear in a future SW novel about the Solo family's exploits and the Corporate Sector post-ROTJ/pre-TFA?

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Not only should the Daley novels be recanonized in full (there is nothing to contradict the NEU) but Han at Stars End would make a great Standalone Han Solo movie.

6. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I just want to see a Solo family adventure novel with Han,Leia,Chewie and Ben in the Falcon no matter where it is. Whether fighting a picket fleet of a corporate empire in the Corporate Sector or battling an alien armada in the Unknown Regions and/or Wild Space that could be a threat to the New Republic. C'mon who doesn't want to see that again but with Ben Solo this time? A perfect NEU novel with the OT3. Throw Luke in to come to the rescue in his X-Wing.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Greg Rucka's your man.
    [​IMG]

Tsk tsk CSA, whatever you are, you're still naughty as allgetout.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, Brian Daley's books are more canon than the PT.

9. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks for voting guys! I think the chances of a Solo family novel in the CS possibly by James Luceno are very good! And in the deleted scenes from TFA Kylo/Ben recognized the Falcon and remembered his dad Han possibly having adventures in the Falcon possibly in the Corporate Sector or the Unknown Regions and Wild Space in future hardcover novels from Del Rey.

10. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I often just don't vote on these polls because the new universe is still new enough to be that I'm not sure how I actually feel about seeing "more" of something that my love for was so much shaped by the old universe. (Wedge, for example, is a strong contender for my favorite Star Wars character of all time: but would I really want to see Wedge books in the new universe? Or without the whole little world of Iella, Mirax, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Corran, Booster, even Syal and Myri that was built up over the course of the old EU, would it just feel hollow?)

But this is a rare case where I actually did vote "yes," because in the old universe the CSA felt like it was a sadly underused part of the galaxy (apart from the HSA books it was invented for), so there's not that much that could be ruined in the first place.

I liked the vibe of the old CSA just fine, as a cyberpunk dystopia of the kind that was becoming popular in fiction in the seventies, not unlike the Empire except it's an economic rather than a political force that's taken total control of everything. But what I really found interesting about it was its place relative to the rest of the galaxy, as a sort of cross between Space Mexico (the place "over the border" that outlaws from the larger neighbor run and hide in when things get too hot back home) and Space Switzerland (the place that holds everybody's money and just kind of sits out all the big wars, watching everybody bleed each other to death while taking a cut. Good God, they survived the Yuuzhan Vong War intact. How is that possible?) Both interesting aspects that I'd like to see the new EU sink its teeth in, if it's at all interested.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Would the Empire allow the Corporate Sector to exist?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As long as it served them when they asked (like the case with the Hutts), yes.

If Palpatine hadn't fallen, he'd probably have eventually conquered everything, but why conquer an obedient puppet state until you're out of other enemies to defeat?

13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    As long as it paid an annual tax, yes. As originally conceived it's one of the wealthiest regions of the galaxy, and Palps knows better than to kill a goose that lays golden eggs.

With the prequels and the stories about former members of the commerce guilds seeking refuge there after the Clone Wars, I got the sense that the Corporate Sector also became kind of a safety valve for the Empire. Give surviving Separatist financiers a way out, a place they can escape to and live the rest of their lives in peace after they've been defeated, and they'll be less inclined to stay inside the Empire's borders and keep plotting to undermine it.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thinking about it further, I couldn't help but wonder: What if the Corporate Sector played a role in the formation of the First Order?

Sarchet likes this.
  15. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    That would make an awesome subplot for a series of SW novels set between ROTJ & TFA.

16. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Perhaps the New Republic tried to get reparations out of then and they responded by bankrolling the First Order? Brand new Star Destroyers and superweapons aren't cheap.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    If the Empire is out of the picture and busy becoming the First Order in the next 30 years between ROTJ & TFA. I think the Corporate Sector Authourity and it's Picket Fleet would be the perfect enemy for the Solo family to face before the Imperial Remnant rises as the First Order in TFA. And what better author than James Luceno to do it since he was good friends with the late Brian Daley the author of the original Solo trilogy and the creator of the Corporate Sector.

PCCViking likes this.
  18. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    I was going to say "nah, taking sides in galactic wars isn't their thing." But that I could actually see. I don't know about reparations, but I could see them putting pressure on the CSA to clean up its act, and that being the response.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well there's new information coming out about the rise of the First Order, which goes against what most of us thought, from a page in that propaganda book.

Not sure if it counts as a spoiler or not, but:
    The Empire was completely defeated, besides a few Star Destroyers that fled into the Unknown Regions.

The First Order is composed of New Republic separatist worlds that seceded and declared independence, a few years before TFA, wanting to go back to the Empire's ways. And joined up with the military force that had been growing in the Unknown Regions.

20. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I take it we will see this in New Republic:Bloodline and of course we'll see the Unknown Regions in NR:B. In the words of Han Solo YAAAAHOOO!!

21. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

10/10 want to see Bollux and Max in live action.

Sarge and MillenniumFalcon2015 like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Stars' End is a cool story, and Revenge grew on me when I was old enough to appreciate the noir and conspiracy angles, but Lost Legacy is my favorite. I want to see the army of Xim on the march. Those robots are pure badassery and would put the Trade Federation battledroids to shame.

23. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I'd like to see Han with his blaster and/or Ben Solo use his Jedi Skills to take out a returning army of Xim on a Corporate Sector planet or moon in a future novel.