main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark The Costuming Thread: With C4 coming up....Who needs to work on their costume?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by hyperspace_police, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, I figured I would go ahead and start this thread.

Are you fighting with your fabric?
    Can't figure out how to cut on the bias?
    Got a great suggestion or idea?
    Found a fantastic shortcut?

Well, here is the place for all of this and more...

Just pop in and ask your question, share your ideas.

I have several copies of the Jedi costume pattern for Ep 3. I also have the white Leia dress and the white Padme from Genosis pattern, the blue Padme dress with the beads on the shoulders from Ep. 3 and the kids Jedi and Leia pattern.

So, if you are willing to work on these at costuming "meeting/workshops" then don't go buy them...Cause I've got them and I don't mind sharing.

Also, if you're looking for a particular fabric...I'm in a fabric store at least once a week, so just post here what you're looking for and I'll look while I'm out. Sometimes you score a really great find and other times it's like looking for trooper action figures...Not much of anything on the shelves...

Also, if you are having a problem with a costume issue...I might not have the answer, but I can find it more than likely.

Bacon

2. Lavenderrose73

Lavenderrose73 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2005
    Hey, if the Princess Leia costume would take less time to make than the Padme dress I want, could you give me an estimate on the cost of the fabric for that? I want the nice shiny fabric like what I wore at the bowling alley. I found this thread right after I sent you the private message about the two dresses. Also, you wouldn't have the pattern for that rainbow dress and any idea where I could find such fabric, now do you? I want to make as many dresses as I can. That way, I have many options for our upcoming events and if someone needs me to wear something in particular for something, all they would need do is ask. :)

Lavenderrose @};-

3. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    The Rainbow dress was hand dyed...so you can either do that, or hunt down something close. I'll look around for patterns...It's not that complicated of a dress...(I don't think) The Leia dress, you'd just have to go to the fabric store and look around. Keeping in mind that you may have to plan on going to more than one fabric store...You have to hunt a long time.

I shop around on-line for fabric as well. Esp. wool for robes...you just can't find that around here. You can find alternatives...but, not the real thing.

With that said...The Leia dress is a Simplicity pattern...You don't have to buy it since I don't mind you borrowing mine...but, if you look it up, you can get the info on how much fabric to buy. (I usually buy about 1/2 yard more than it says...Be careful about how it gives you the info on what fabric to buy...whether 45" or 60" and adjust for it.

It will also tell you what else you need...zippers...(Haven't done one of those yet..how hard can it be?) and that sort of thing.

Later

BJ

4. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    You don't have to buy it since I don't mind you borrowing mine...

Too late, I just got back from Walmart and bought everything, plus a few other things I wanted, like one of those colored wicker baskets (I chose purple, since it goes with my screen name) and some lavender fabric from the dollar rack to line it with. Then, on the spur of the moment, I bought this Simplicity's Sewing Tips kinda book that I'm hoping will help me out, not to mention this "Sewing Starter Kit" with the basics like scissors, needles, measuring tape, straight pins, cushin, tracing paper/pincil... Well, maybe I'll keep occupied enough for these 2 weeks with the sewing and beading jewelry. I'll be prepared to work on my costume on the 18, if Bonnie has left for Georgia by then (the lady who's visiting me for awhile).

Lavenderrose73 @};-

5. Astiateu

Astiateu Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2006
    Hi!

I need some good fabric outlets to order from probably online.

I've got a few costuming projects, but the one I've got pretty much mapped out is the Throne Gown, and I haven't been able to find anything that will work for what I'm looking for. Red Silk Cord.

Also, if anyone has any good raw silk contacts, I'm looking for 60 inch...

I guess they have a thing against 60 inch here in Arkasas.

Could you post a few links to a few places you use?

6. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Which gown is throne gown?

Once I know that part, I'll see what I can come up with.

7. Astiateu

Mar 18, 2006
    The first throne room dress epi one most famous for the glowy lights on the skirting :)

8. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    You must be talking about the one I wore yesterday. At Celebration III "Costume Pageant" I was right behind a lady who actually had lightbulbs in hers, but I don't know how she did it, and I was helping her keep one connected and lit just before she went on stage. Boy, I'd like to know how she made that thing!

Lavenderrose73 @};-

9. Astiateu

Mar 18, 2006
    That's the one! :) I'm planning to make a version for a "Bloated" Amidala hehe.

I have it broken down into stages, but I've got a few snags, one of which is fabric. Bleh. I've had no luck so far.

It doesn't have to be red fabric, I might just dye all of it since I will need to dye the yarn as well.

If anyone is interested, I did find raw silk, 58-60 inches about 6.00 a yard :)

10. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    Ooohh, sounds nice. Could you give the link in case I find a use for it? I wish to possibly use it for a Padme ball gown I'll make later.

Lavenderrose73 @};-

11. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I'll keep my eyes out down here. I go to Dallas fairly often and I'll check while I'm there for fabric.

And if I need an eye out, I'll let you know and you can check up there.

Thanks (and I edited the list on the Make A Wish thread and added your name there. Sorry about that)

12. Astiateu

Mar 18, 2006
    Sure thing! I have to dig for the raw silk, but I have a few here that are 54" Silk Dupioni, and something that might "pass" as raw silk. If dyed correctly, it could work. Might make a great cloak in a chocolate color:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=S1109

Here is one sample I thought might make a great inner robe for a jedi, but it is already a wee bit dark:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=944B I think this one is a great price, I'd love to see how thick it is tho.

And this is one that might also work if lined:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=DU04 Most of these run 14.99 a yard tho. :(

This one is a wool blend MIGHT work for cloaks if it is heavy enough. It says suiting, but one never knows. It would drape well at least:

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=879

That's about all I've found right now worth posting. They are still a little pricey though.

I'll keep looking. I'm bored enough to do that right now! lol

Edit
    Here is a 45 inch raw silk, 4.99 for white

http://www.africanandsilkfabrics.com/rawsilk.htm

And no problem! I'm always surfing for fabric just let me know :) I think I'm going to have to give up on my idea of silk cord though, I can't find it. Maybe just silk.

13. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    It's cool, Police. They all know I was there. :)

@};-

14. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    MY WIFES THEED GOWN IS THE BEST I'VE EVER SEEN. I HAVE FEW PIX SINCE THE DRESS DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE, SHE WON A LOT OF CONTESTS IN IT IN 99!

15. Astiateu

Mar 18, 2006
    Here's my plan - I'm kind of excited about it, if you can't tell, as I see it slowly coming together!

I think I've gotten the lights mapped out in a way it should work. (Hoping anyway). I'm going to make the lamps out of large easter eggs, if I can find some clear ones, if not, I may have to have a friend make them out of plastic. The dress will start with a steelbased hoop skirt that will be shaped like a cone to give the gown its shape, and so it will not move when I walk so it looks like I'm gliding. The hoopskirt, out of steel, should be strong enough to carry the weight of the dress and the wiring for the lights. just have to figure how to rig the hoops so I can sit, and where to put the switch for the lights so they don't stay on all the time. I'm not sure if Christmas lights would be bright enough, so I may look at a different kind of light source. Plenty of time to brainstorm though, since I have to make the hoopskirt first, and that'll be interesting :p.

To distract myself from that mess, I'm getting into a bigger mess by trying to figure out how to make the headpiece. I love a challenge! hehe. At this rate I'm estimating that this is going to take about 2 years. May have to stop somewhere and make jedi outfit for myself and my husband.

We're making a vacuum table to play with. Maybe that will help inspire me hehe. It will probably just mean that I won't get finished with this costume for five years... I like to chase distractions. :p

16. Lavenderrose73

Nov 2, 2005
    I'm not sure if Christmas lights would be bright enough,...

Bright enough? I'm not sure if Christmas lights would be big enough! And as for the hoop skirt, just go to Dollar General, get a toy size hula hoop and go from there. I'm racking my brain, trying to figure out how on earth I'm going to make a cotton-pickin' ballgown! Well, good luck to both of us, hey...

@};-

17. Nyborg13

Nyborg13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Oh my gosh you people and your problems.:D Making your little dresses and playing with your silk. I on the other hand am being itched to death by fiberglass will trying to fend off this hungery little red helment that I cant spank or punish to hard cause it will go home crying to his daddy(Jason). I guess I could feed it since its not midnight yet, but he's taking a bath right now so he can multiply.[face_laugh]

18. Astiateu

Mar 18, 2006
    LOL! Hey now, if it multiplies, I want first pick of the litter!

*shudders at the thought of fiberglass itchiness*

19. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I have a set of battery powered lights that are made for special effects in a fish tank. They are halogens...did I spell that right? They're pretty bright so something like that would be cool.

The costume exhibit that was in California...The headpiece looked like it was built around an almost styrofoam frame?

Not sure about that one.

And I am amazed that Nyborg has found something he claims he can't spank?????

Hee Hee Hee Hee

20. ti7267

ti7267 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    he is just so loveable! hehe

So far it looks like it's turning out good are you going to add layers? keep me updated and make sure to keep posting pictures i wanna see how this turns out :)

21. VADER312

VADER312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2005
    pvc pipe for the dress bottom for flare and to make it glide. you will need several wigs and believe it or not she said the hair in the back (not the front) was the hardest part. when you complete the headpiece it will pretty much be worn like a hat. e-mail me and i'll show you pix!

22. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    The Jedi Tunic/Robe pattern is available through Simplicity (I think)

I'll look when I get home and post the pattern number and brand.

(I could be wrong about the Simplicity thing.)

If you're not good at sewing, I have made a few of these so far and they're not that hard.

If you need any help, feel free to contact me and I'll see how I can help.

23. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I have a suggestion:

Don't ever agree to make a Micro Fleece Robe...

The stuff is a pain in the Bantha to sew...

But, it does drape well.

So, what is everyone planning on wearing (costume wise) to C4?

We will be sewing again at Nyborg's on Saturday if you have a project to work on.

I'm swamped right now. But, my load will ease up after next Saturday...

Just remember...Fabric is your freind...esp. when it's on sale.

24. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i found this green suede patchwork for my corellian jedi cloak. i made it as a poncho just to give it a different feel. i am corellian, after all.

25. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.