main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Courtship of Princess Leia," by Dave Wolverton [Bantam, 1994]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"The Courtship of Princess Leia," by Dave Wolverton [Bantam, 1994]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

26.9%
  2. 9

12.6%
  3. 8

15.6%
  4. 7

12.6%
  5. 6 (Average)

3.6%
  6. 5 (Average)

9.0%
  7. 4

1.8%
  8. 3

3.6%
  9. 2

1.8%
  10. 1 (Poor)

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Genghis, how did the Marvel comics delay the Dark Empire comics? The Marvel comic line ended in 1984! Dark Empire came out in the early nineties, if I'm not mistaken. That's a HUGE gap between the two projects. After the Marvel line ended, there was a long drought of SW material until West End Games released the Star Wars roleplaying game.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I think that this is the best stand alone SW novel PERIOD.

3. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I gave it a 9 because the part where Gethzerion breaks all of Han's bones and teeth always bugged me. Yuck. I like how it's different from all the other books in that it focuses on the heroes-there's no seeing things from the villian's point of view. Highlights for me were Threepio's serenade, the dialogue when Leia wakes up on the Falcon("I've come to kill Han, and this is the only way I could get on board. What do you think, Han kidnapped me!"), the rancor ride where Han and Isolder try to outdo each other, and the wedding(I'm a sucker for weddings until a soprano who can't sing shows up). One of my favorites.

4. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    this was the first star wars book i read and d@mn i loved it i was hooked form the second chapter till the end. and also laughed quite a few time such as hans comment to luke about tenial i think it was somehting like if i were you i would be asking her to ride my rancor. and also loved the part where the head nightsister nearly killed luke. well i gave this book a 10.

5. JediSolo13

JediSolo13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    I thought this book was really good. Especially since it shows Han desperate to win Leia :D

6. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003

This book is awesome! It's probably THE most interesting one I've read (SW or not).

7. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    10 10 10 this is an awesome book one of the best, I had all my friends read it even though they don't really love star wars like me, it is an excellent book.

8. darthmaul3162

darthmaul3162 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    This book kicks Butt man what can i say a 10x10. Solid read even for the not so Star wars Freaks. I have to say it again if you could only read one Star wars book This would be it.

9. skywalkerfreak2000

skywalkerfreak2000 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2003
    Hey everyone,
    The Courtship of Princess Leia was a good book, that is until I read some of the others. After that the book was low on the list. I hated Leia in that book, dumping Han, come on Leia. I know she thought she was doing the New Republic good, but come on people. Would Leia really do that? Although Leia was a little wacko, I thought Han was in perfect character. Of course he would kidnap her. Even if he let her marry Isolder, he wouldn't let things end like that. But you know, I must admit it was cool when Luke was manning the guns on the Falcon. But contrary to other people posting, I hated the witches, what a stupid aspect to put in Star Wars. The story could have been better. The concept was good, but the story could have been better. I rate it a three.

10. andre

andre Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1999
    I finished reading this novel about a week ago. The first portion of it felt like some sort of crazy experiment crossing a soap opera with a space opera. Then things got a little mysterious, and then alittle bit adventuré.

Now that I'm recalling it, the novel doesn't leave a standing impact. With the exception of a few of the moments with the Witches.

If you haven't read the novel, give it a go. But if I was just getting started with EU this wouldn't be recommended.

I'm not saying I'm disapointed, one of the last passages recognized one of my favourite characters in the book, I forget her name, but the old witch gets confused with the past, present, and future; creating an interesting dianamic.

If I had to give it a # I'd say something like 60%. I'm sure others agree. I've not read alot of the EU, but I'm hoping it only gets better with the next novel I try out.

11. Yzerman_the_Jedi

Yzerman_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2004
    I loved this book Woverlton writes a lot of emotion
    but i read this book 6 years ago so i forgot a lot

12. Kristyne_Skywalker

Kristyne_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2004
    Yeah this book was great! I couldn't put it down! Read it within 2 days

13. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I just finished reading this book a couple days ago...overall I liked it and felt it was a good story. There were points of it that weren't as good and if it were written today some things would probably be told differently. But overall it was a good read and a good addition to Star Wars.

14. WWE_jedi

WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    The courtship of princess leia was the first and the best star wears book i have ever read. It added emotion and spirt. Wolverton should have wrote more star wars books. The idea of training rancors is awesome. Zahn and wolveron should write a book. it would be the best star wars book ever.

15. sabrecmc

sabrecmc Jedi Master star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    Count me in with the "didn't like it" camp. I guess I just have a different idea of romance than a lot of people obviously do. I always felt the whole kidnapping thing was ridiculous. This from the guy who was willing to step aside at the end of Jedi to let Leia and Luke be together? I don't know, maybe that's part of his "rogue" character or whatever, but it didn't quite ring true to me. I also can't imagine Leia deciding to take one for the team or whatever her deal was with the Prince, but then again, after some guy kidnaps me, I'm not choosing him either.

It wasn't horrible writing or anything, but it just didn't work for me. I think I had such high expectations, so maybe that's why.

16. Jbrewster1012

Jbrewster1012 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    I gave this book an 8.

I didn't really believe that Leia could just turn her back on Han and want to marry Isolder, even if it was for the Republic. Even if she would, I doubt she would do it so willingly. I enjoyed the villians, the force 'witches.' They were truly bad. And they weren't the normal Imperial warlord. And I thought the trained Rancors took the nasty edge off of them that they(it) had in ROTJ. And the ending seemed a little of a let down. I thought there would be more about the wedding that just the last page.

17. annakin13

annakin13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    it took me forever to read this one, i thought it was going to be some stupid romance. i probably read 10 Star Wars books before i finally read it, and it became my favorite as soon as i did. since then, i've probably read twice as many Star Wars books and this one is still my favorite.

18. CanaceErinn

CanaceErinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2004
    9. It would have been a ten, except the scene with "Han the Heroic Whuffa Grabber" didn't seem to make sense. Why grab a worm? Will it save your life? The rest was great. I liked how it was a love story since those are few and far between in the EU.

19. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    The Whuffa's kicked ass! ;)

Ah, callous, but true! ;)

20. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004

An excellent book, Luke was finally written as it should, the new characters are very interesting and I wanted to know more about them. Great characterizations, good plot.

21. Zinergy

Zinergy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2004
    I voted this novel a 7. I really liked how Han Solo followed his heart, and chased the woman he loved.

22. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    Well the book was okay. It went on over and over with Han and Isolder trying to steal Leah from each other though. But it was funny to see how threepio messed up with Han being royalty.

23. Leia_Noodle

Leia_Noodle Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    i really liked this book.....its a guilty pleasure book for me.
    The idea of Han handling Leia in a rough fashion isn't all that out of the ordinary. Remember when Han grabs Leia and forces her to leave the rebel base on Hoth before the imperials gained complete control of the base. Plus, getting to see Han and Leia get married. I rated the book a 10.

24. JediPadmeLightside

JediPadmeLightside Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    I liked it. Very romantic and Han & Leia get married too. It was an enjoyable read.

25. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    I rated the book 3.

There was nothing wrong with the writing; I just didn't like the story. The dueling between Han and Isolder about Leia was okay, but I never really enjoyed all the fantasy elements in the book, like rancors being used as mounts and witches casting "spells." I read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous before reading this book, and I really cared about the characters in that novel. The Courtship of Princess Leia didn't really make me care for Teneniel or the other new characters. I also didn't like Threepio singing.

The last 50 pages or so of the book picked up the pace a whole lot, though, and made it much more interesting. The "Kiss my Wookiee!" remark by Han was just great!

I think I had expected something different from this book--something more light-hearted involving only Han and Leia, with occasional comic relief by Threepio and Chewie, so it's possible that my expectations can have affected my enjoyment of the book. I don't know.

Regardless, I rate it 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.