main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Courtship of Princess Leia

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by crashdown, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I just came from Literature Review Forum and read the reviews for The Courtship of Princess Leia. Although, most of the reviews were positive, there is a strong minority that really hates this book. Why is that? I though it was one of the best EU books I've read.

2. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i liked it.

3. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Those would be the ones that would most likely be Han Solo fans...and wanted him with Bria Tharen (IIRC).

They probably do not like the Dathomir Witches either. :p

4. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Although I love the book, you have to admit that there is something seriously wrong with half-naked women riding on the backs of rancors defying the might of a warlords fleet.

And of course there could never be any kind of female dominated society... :p

Just kidding.... ;)

*awaits to be beaten*

5. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Jedi_Satimber,
    Ya, but marrying a ghost might be a bit hard, even for Han Solo. Now, Luke may be able to pull it off using his force abilities, but not Han.

Jedi_Loon,
    And what's wrong with half-naked women riding rancors?...I liked that part.

6. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Well from a purely male point of view, nothing, the image is lovely ;) :p

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's a good book, but better if you read the X-wing series first.

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I really enjoyed CoPL! In fact, it's one of my favorite SW books. Well written, it had some great lines.

9. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I've noticed this pattern as well. I personally liked the book. Sure, it's a bit silly, but hell, most of the EU is. It was classic Bantam era, and I think a lot (not all :p) of that stuff was much better than the newer NJO or PT.

10. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Yeah

the NJO is crap.

but tCoPL rocks.

its a good book AND you wouldnt have Tenel Ka if it wasnt for this.

(and Han kidnaping Leia=FUN)

11. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    COPL is one of my favorite books. My only complaints are Isolder and Ta'a Chume (two of my least favorite EU characters), and the fact that Han and Leia's wedding was only half a page long. :mad:

12. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    My only complaints are Isolder and Ta'a Chume (two of my least favorite EU characters), and the fact that Han and Leia's wedding was only half a page long.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I HATED Ta'a Chume, and Isolder wasn't much better. I thoroughly enjoyed the book overall. :)

I_F

13. Jedi_Rhysode

Jedi_Rhysode Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2004
    I loved CoPL. There were somethings that bothered me alot though. Like how Leia would even consider marrying a man just for political reasons when she actually genuinly LOVED Han. And what also bothered me was how oppressed the men in the Dathomir society were. I assume most of them were Force sensative as well, but obviously they were denied the privlages of training that the women got, but our hero's didn't seem to worry too much about the way these men were treated. But I'm sure if they landed on a world where the roles were switched, Leia would be the first to start shaking her fist at the injustice.

14. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Like how Leia would even consider marrying a man just for political reasons when she actually genuinly LOVED Han

I guess at the time she thought that she loved the NR more...

15. starsailor721

starsailor721 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2004
    "I guess at the time she thought that she loved the NR more..."

I liked the book as a whole but there were some parts that really strayed from the characterizations we saw in OT. After denying her responsibilities to the Rebellion and going through all that trouble to resuce Han from carbonite, I have a really hard time believing Leia would give it all up so eaisly.

16. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I think that it needed something BIG like another guy in Leia's life for Han to get off is butt and propose. I don't think that Leia's the type of woman to "date around" behind Han's back. And I don't think that Han would have ever proposed if he didn't feel that he could loose Leia to another guy. Before Han actually got hitched, would you have thought that he was the marrying kind? (I don't think so).

These are the possibilities as I see them.

1. Leia finds another guy and drops Han. Han fights to gain Leia's love back and he proposes (No....as SW fans we would not sit still for this. It is not in Leia's character to cheat).

2. Han finds another woman...i.e. Bria Tharen comes back to life and sweeps Han off his feet. Leia fights to gain Hans love back and "SHE" proposes to Han (NO....Although this would be fun to see, I don't think that Leia's the type to go running after Han once he dumped her).

3. Leia is kidnaped (not by Han) and forced to marry another guy (This "IS" a possibility, but when Han gets Leia back why would he feel compelled to propose?....Leia would still love Han, and therefore Han would still feel safe in the relationship).

4. Han knocks-up Leia and is forced to marry her (WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN MY STAR WARS UNIVERSE !!!)

5. Leia is compelled to marry another (with an open heart) to save her beloved rebellion (Makes sense to me).

I rest my case.

17. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    i think the only thing i can conplain about with this book is Hapes Empire. Where the hell was Hapes during the Rebbelion?! but other than that this book kicked mayjor ass. and also guys i know this may be a little off subject but my 5 favorite parts of this book are...
    1. when Han kidnapps Leia
    2. Luke getting the living sh!t beat out of him by the head Nightsister
    3. Han and the way he buys time while the head Nightsister is braking every bone in his body.
    4. what Luke says to Teniel (sorry if i spelled that wrong i don't have the book right in front of me right now) when she takes him as his Slave
    5. and last but not least when C-3PO sings.
    well those are probably the funniest parts

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I loved it. I think it was the first Star Wars book that I read.

19. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    If you like Han and Leia together, this is the only even slightly romantic book about them that you will find. In Shadows of the Empire, you see Leia's obsession with Han. She turns her back on the Rebellion for a long period of time to rescue him. He, however, is frozen in carbonite for the whole book. I agree that this was the only plot that would work. However, I don't agree that Han needed this to force himself to propose. If you read the X-wing books and the beginning of CoPL, Han is closer to wanting to marry Leia than she is. He just didn't feel that it is in her best interests to marry him and that is what is stopping him, not his desire for continued bachelorhood.

20. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Aside from a couple of the NJO books, I think you're right, marajoan-- COPL has a lot of cute Han/Leia moments.

I always liked this book, I think the plot is interesting and the many small-group scenes, like between Leia and Han or Teneniel and Luke, are nicely done. Overall, it's fun to read. So I have no clue why people hate it. :p

21. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Because Tatooine Ghost is soooo much better?

Because the badguys had no backstory?

Because Luke's waaaaaaay too close to omnipotent, particularly because in TTT he's a wimp?

Because it introduces my least favorite character? (Ta'a Chume)

It's not that it's bad, it's that it's from the dark ages when continuity didn't mesh so well. It had a killer sabacc game though.

22. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Because Tatooine Ghost is soooo much better?

Good start but such a poor ending IMHO, I read the start but skipped pages to get to the end.

Because the badguys had no backstory?

Well the warlord and whatisface with the funky nails did. The others were new characters who ere going to die, IMO they didnb't need any.

Because Luke's waaaaaaay too close to omnipotent, particularly because in TTT he's a wimp?

omnipotnet? He nearly died... Got beaten by an unschooled force user and was beaten by a nightsister who was no where NEAR as powerful as the Emperor or Vader.

Because it introduces my least favorite character? (Ta'a Chume)

Well thats just opniion and I don't really like her either. :)

23. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Zsinj and Melvar were retroactively given backstories in the Wraith books. I think a bunch of people collectively said "Who's Zsinj" so they made him the bad guy (a damned good one) in the WS books.

And as to omnipotence, IIRC in CoPL Luke flies the Falcon and fires both guns from the cockpit incredibly accurately, in addition to busting a cap in the Nightsisters the second time. Something about a revelation allowing more power.

Oh, and the Chu'unthor was good.

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I have only read the firs chaptor on Amazon, and I have one thing to say about it. It seems like one big soap operah! That is awasome! :)

It had a killer sabacc game though.

Sabacc? Sabacc's awasome. That makes me want to read it!

25. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Marajoan wrote: If you like Han and Leia together, this is the only even slightly romantic book about them that you will find. In Shadows of the Empire, you see Leia's obsession with Han.

Yes and no........

Yes, Leia does drop everything to find Han, But in Shadows of the Empire most of her time is spent trying to find Luke and who is trying to kill him.

I just got done with Shadows and it was a good book, but I don't think it is a good book if you want to read a Han/Leia story.

However, you may be correct about Han being close to proposing befor the CoPL. I have not read the X-Wing books yet, but they are set just before the CoPL and probably would give some insight into Hans intentions.

Besides for its name, I don't think that the CoPL is a very "romantic" book either. I think the author did not do a great job describing the Han/Leia relationship. It was one of the few drawbacks with the book. However, it's still one of my favorites.

Cheers to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.