main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Crèche Thread, Mk. 2, a place where New Members can get help with their fanfics.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Hello all…and welcome to the Crèche Thread Mk. 2.

I, like many new fanfic writers, got my start in here by finding a Master to help me with my writing skills. The old thread was a place where newbies, and oldbies alike could find a place to get help with their writing. And I feel that we should work at recapturing that feeling, so here is a new Crèche Thread for you all.

To start…descriptions:

Master: A Master is a mentor and someone to help you find your way around the boards, as well as a friend and automatic reader (in most cases). Many of the Masters listed in here are very interested in helping to improve a youngling's writing skills and begin their own story threads.

Padawan: 1. A newbie. 2. An experienced writer who would like to expand his/her skills.

I will also revive the Order of the Braid. I don’t know if the old members are still around, so we will start anew…any oldbie who wants to join can PM me. The purpose of the OotB is to help newbies around, without necessarily being a Master.

The Order of the Braid:

2. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Moving on (and I put this all in one post in the interests of shortening this):

How to Get Involved:

1. All Masters and Padawans must fill out the form found at the end of this post.

2. It’s important to look through the various applicants occasionally. The lists will be updated semi-regularly, and it will help both newbies and oldbies alike find potential Masters/Padawans.

3. When you find a potential match, PM (convo?) your choice. Both Masters and Padawans may make the first PM. No need to be shy, we’re all friends here.

However, one should make sure that you have the title be ‘Adoption Inquiry’ or something similar, or it might be overlooked.

Also bear in mind that putting yourself in one of the lists opens you up for PMs. If you should want to be removed from the list, PM me and I will do so.

4. Patience is a virtue…some of us are busy and may not respond right away. Don’t be discouraged though, we will get to it eventually.

5. If you don’t feel like it is a good match, then politely decline and move on. Don’t feel like you’re obligated to say yes to an Adoption request.

6. Once you’ve finished…come in here and let us know. We’d love to congratulate you after all!

IMPORTANT!!!

Here is the form I mentioned before. All potential Masters and Padawans must fill out this form, because it helps us to get to know you. Please be as thorough as possible, as each question helps potential Masters/Padawans see if the match will work.

Name:

Looking for: (please indicate Master or Padawan)

Era:

Favorite Characters:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

I love to write:

No way will I ever write:

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: (Masters should put number of current Paddys)

Link to a sample of my writing:

I’m also bringing back a survey from the old thread. This was helpful to a number of people in getting to know their new Master/Padawan, and I figure it’s better to bring back the old one, rather than make a new one up from scratch. (note...survey can be done via PM if you don't want to post it in here)

What time did you get up this morning?

What was the last film you saw at the cinema?

What is your favorite TV show?

What do you usually have for breakfast?

Favorite cuisine?

What food do you dislike? Prefer?

What is your favorite CD at the moment?

Morning or night person?

Favorite sandwich?

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for?

Favorite item of clothing?

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be?

What color is your bathroom?

Favorite brand of clothing?

Where would you like to visit?

What was your most memorable birthday?

Favorite sport to watch?

Pets?

What did you want to be when you were little?

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to?

What music do you like?

Your Favorite Book?

3. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And now we have the lists of Masters and Padawans. They are split up by Era preference still (since we don’t want a fan of say…KOTOR trying to get a Master who only is good with post ROTJ stuff). First will be the Masters, and they may be listed more than once, depending on their preference.

If you want to be put on the list, post in here or PM me.

Masters List:

Before the Saga:
    Valairy Scot

Saga:
    Valairy Scot
    Jade_eyes

Beyond the Saga:
    Jade_eyes
    Briannakin
    Ceillean

Padawan List:

Before the Saga:

Saga:
    Alexis_Wingstar

Beyond the Saga:
    Lukemaraben

(lists will be filled out once we have people TO fill them out:p )

4. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Essentials of the Crèche, for Masters and Padawans (also from the old one):

I WANT TO BE A MASTER, BUT AM I QUALIFIED?

Do you like people?

The primary purpose of a Master here in Fan Fic is to befriend their padawan. Be a tour guide, encourage him when he is down, always read and reply to his stories, and be willing to offer constructive criticism gently and with regard for his feelings and age.

Do you have a working knowledge of the Terms of Service?
    To be a knowledgable tour guide and help steer your padawan clear of common newbie mistakes, you should have a working knowledge of the Terms of Service and be willing to refer to the Fan Fic FAQ for answers to questions you don’t know the answer to.

Are you ready to act like a responsible role model for an impressionable newbie?
    It’s all part and parcel of having a padawan, guys. Responsible role models are essential. This is a lesson unto itself, though.

Do you have the time to encourage a new writer, read their story(s), and reply to them?
    If you just want a padawan to have a cool signature, then move on, please. A padawan whose own master does not take the time to read at least some of their work and show a genuine interest in them can easily become discouraged from pursuing their writing.

Since we are here to encourage writing, make your padawans stories a priority. This is time consuming at times. I also assure you that it is incredibly rewarding to watch the progress of their writing skills.

Is that really all there is to it?
    There is always, always more. After all, one should never stop learning, right? But the rest can be learned. The most important part is having the desire to help someone.

Where do I sign up?
    If this sounds like something for you, then please feel free to browse the padawan lists and create your own Master’s profile, post it, and we will link it in the first page.

THE RIGHT PADAWAN

This subject is debated from time to time around here, so I’ll offer several schools of thought.

First: Same to Same
    This was the most popular method of finding a padawan in the old Creche. I hope to revive that, so please, look through the lists (once we have some).

Second: Opposites Attract
    Some people go looking for Masters outside of their comfort zone on purpose. Most of these potentials know what exactly their weaknesses are and look for a Master to help strengthen them.

Third: It’s About The Personality!
    Sometimes, it’s just all about the personality. Even if the profile looks great, you just don’t click. It’s okay, it happens. This is why getting to know a potential padawan via a few PMs is a great idea.

Conversely, a padawan with a profile that turns you off may be such a fun personality that you become interested in their interests while they take part in yours. That is what I call a win, win situation.

Fourth: Relationships Found Through Story Threads
    Some of the best Master/Padawan relationships begin as author/reader friendships. Allowing this kind of relationship to build into a mentorship can be very enjoyable for both people involved.

Regardless of the method you choose, some careful thought and frank questions help to avoid uncomfortable Master/Padawan pairings. Once you have narrowed it down a little bit, consider the following:

Know Your Own Expectations and Limitations.

While you are choosing a padawan, examine your skills frankly and hold them up to the students expectations and goals.

· Are you a harsh beta?

· Will you be giving assignments that highlight their skills and force them to work out their own weaknesses?

· Do you just want a Padawan to help them out here or there and leave the betaing to someone else?

· Can you help them?

· Do you have time to help them?

· Are you able to work around their schedule?

HOW CAN I BE A GOOD PADAWAN?

Do you like people?

Same as the Master part…do you like people? If you aren’t friendly, it will make it more difficult to find a Master. And could lose you your master. Be accepting of other people, and you will have a wonderful time here.

Listen to your Master:

They are here to help you. Don’t disregard their advice, they are taking time to help you after all. Of course, they may make mistakes like all of us, so keep a close eye out for that, they’ll appreciate it just as much as you do.

Are you serious about writing?

Masters are busy people, so we would like our Padawans to be serious about learning to write better. If you are just looking for a quick lesson, then please direct questions to the Order of the Braid, their happy to help. Otherwise, please, take advantage of us Masters being here to help you through your newbie stage.

Most importantly…have fun!

We are a very welcoming group here in fanfic, especially those of us who are looking to become Masters. So please, have fun and enjoy your time here. Nothing warms the heart of a Master like seeing their Padawan enjoying themselves and making friends.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    NAME: Valairy Scot

LOOKING FOR: Guinea Pig, uh, that’s Padawan

ERA: Before the Saga and Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: PT Obi-Wan, the “team”

STRENGTHS: Dialogue, grammar, “flow,” characterization, punctuation

WEAKNESS: plotting and imagination

I LOVE TO WRITE: Yes, I do – oh, you mean… (wink) humor, angst, vignettes, all POV’s

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: C3PO/Padme pairing (see, there’s my sense of humor)

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I love cats, photography and hiking and I love to sing. When I was little, I wanted to grow up and be Julie Andrews and sing and dance in musicals. Fun fact: I get an inordinate amount of joy in overruling Word spell-check. I do really use big words in real life!

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Omigosh – I’ll list several by type:

Humor: http://boards.theforce.net/Message....d=10476&start=22067830&search=Two+Shifts+Only

Angst:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22326104/p1/?8]A Father’s Lament

Drama:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23306768/p1/?5]My Hero, My Killer

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22349201/p1/?3]Having Seen Through His Eyes

http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/23673415/p1/?7]Tears of the Force

What time did you get up this morning? Workdays – 7:10. Hiking days: 5-6:30. Regular weekends – does it have to be in the morning?

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? TPM 3D.

What is your favorite TV show? Hum…something on History or TLC.

What do you usually have for breakfast? Oatmeal.

Favorite cuisine? Non-spicy

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Liver. Anything with cheese.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? Josh Groban

Morning or night person? NIGHT all the way.

Favorite sandwich? Roast beef with onion.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? Hypocrisy, humor in that order.

Favorite item of clothing? Hiking clothes.

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? Mountains.

What color is your bathroom? Which one? One is pink, one, deep green with touches of purple.

Favorite brand of clothing? Have none.

Where would you like to visit? Anywhere scenic.

What was your most memorable birthday? Don’t have one.

Favorite sport to watch? Ice-skating.

Pets? Yes, 1 13-lb half Siamese monster cat.

What did you want to be when you were little? Julie Andrews. Plus the obligatory cow girl, police woman, super-heroine, whatever.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Retirement.

What music do you like? Classic, soft rock, easy listening.

Your Favorite Book? No one favorite…so to be different, I’ll say 50 Hikes in Mt. Rainier National Park. Bet no one else lists this one.

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Due to 'puter issues, this is a copy of my prior "resume":

NAME: Valairy Scot

LOOKING FOR: Guinea Pig, uh, that’s Padawan

ERA: Before the Saga and Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: PT Obi-Wan, the “team”

STRENGTHS: Dialogue, grammar, “flow,” characterization, punctuation

WEAKNESS: plotting and imagination

I LOVE TO WRITE: Yes, I do – oh, you mean… (wink) humor, angst, vignettes, all POV’s

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: C3PO/Padme pairing (see, there’s my sense of humor)

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I love cats, photography and hiking and I love to sing. When I was little, I wanted to grow up and be Julie Andrews and sing and dance in musicals. Fun fact: I get an inordinate amount of joy in overruling Word spell-check. I do really use big words in real life!

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Omigosh – I’ll list several by type: (I’ll correct the links shortly)

Humor: http://boards.theforce.net/Message....d=10476&start=22067830&search=Two+Shifts+Only

Angst:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22326104/p1/?8]A Father’s Lament

Drama:

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23306768/p1/?5]My Hero, My Killer

http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22349201/p1/?3]Having Seen Through His Eyes

http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/23673415/p1/?7]Tears of the Force

What time did you get up this morning? Workdays – 7:10. Hiking days: 5-6:30. Regular weekends – does it have to be in the morning?

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? TPM 3D.

What is your favorite TV show? Hum…something on History or TLC.

What do you usually have for breakfast? Oatmeal.

Favorite cuisine? Non-spicy

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Liver. Anything with cheese.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? Josh Groban

Morning or night person? NIGHT all the way.

Favorite sandwich? Roast beef with onion.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? Hypocrisy, humor in that order.

Favorite item of clothing? Hiking clothes.

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? Mountains.

What color is your bathroom? Which one? One is pink, one, deep green with touches of purple.

Favorite brand of clothing? Have none.

Where would you like to visit? Anywhere scenic.

What was your most memorable birthday? Don’t have one.

Favorite sport to watch? Ice-skating.

Pets? Yes, 1 13-lb half Siamese monster cat.

What did you want to be when you were little? Julie Andrews. Plus the obligatory cow girl, police woman, super-heroine, whatever.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Retirement.

What music do you like? Classic, soft rock, easy listening.

Your Favorite Book? No one favorite…so to be different, I’ll say 50 Hikes in Mt. Rainier National Park. Bet no one else lists this one.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Name: Jade_eyes

Looking for: Padawan

Era: Beyond the Saga, and also Saga

Favorite Characters: Jag with Jaina, Kyp Durron, Luke/Mara in Star Wars fandom. In Trek, oh dear, [face_laugh] just look at my siggy =P~ ^:)^

Strengths: Dialogue, introspection, grammar, spelling, mush! LOL

Weaknesses: Action and complex geographical stuff about how to get from one sector to the next ;)

I love to write: Missing scenes, vignettes, AUs where Luke and Mara have a completely different destiny; they're with each other, but it starts earlier and lasts waaay longer [face_dancing] I love including H/L with their snark. :D I also love participating in movie quote, song roulette, proverb, and drabble challenges.

No way will I ever write: Slash or canon compliant stuff past VOTF. I like aspects of the NJO, but there are certain parts of it I would like to do different.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me plus the survey:

I've mentored the amazing Hazel and 2 others who have since left: :( Overboard4aFel and Goddess_At_Heart.
    I am a morning person.

My favorite thing for breakfast: Cereal with clusters, lots of clusters.

I love music of the 1980s and 1990s, smooth jazz, Josh Groban whose voice is like an angel's, and Kenny G.

My favorite kind of clothing: Capri pants.

My dream spot to go on vacation: any tropical island - but I don't want to be marooned there for years [face_laugh]
    My Favorite TV show: Criminal Minds.

I love the books of Anne McCaffrey, Isaac Asimov, and Karen Kingsbury. @};- My favorite food is sushi; and I adore chocolate and turtle chesecake.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/keepsake-memories-l-m-ongoing-vigs-sweet-update-10-04.50003695/page-3#post-50072998]Keepsake[/url] Memories (Luke/Mara)

8. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Since it is justified to get some discussion going...a discussion topic:

Masters, what do you feel is the best thing a Padawan can do to improve their writing?

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Write, listen (to feedback), bounce drafts off others (truly!) and read - pay attention to what works pacing wise, dialogue wise, etc. in works you admire.

The hardest part: objectivity to one's own work. If I could look at my stuff as I do at others, I'd revise more, edit a lot, and red pencil out pages and pages of repetition - but I get attached to my own words and can't bear to cut stuff.

One tip I've learned, though, is to CUT and PASTE the stuff I don't want to lose but think is kind of unnecessary/redundent to the end of the draft. If it's an epic I'm working on for months, after awhile I just might forget all about that "can't cut THAT" cut stuff.

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Name: Briannakin (People call me Bri)

Era: Beyond the Saga

Favorite Characters: Luke, Mara, Ben, and Chewbacca

Strengths: Dialogue, plot, imagination, characterization, research and snark

Weaknesses: SPELLING and pacing

I love to write: It depends on my mood. I generally prefer romance, ‘medical-drama’, and family moments, but I’m known as the queen of angsty mush. I also love to write humour if I’m in the mood.

No way will I ever write: Poetry, anything before ANH or an epic (anything over 50,000 words and my fic ADD kicks into overdrive).

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: I am insane. I am currently an undergraduate student working towards a General Arts undergrad. My goal is to get my Masters in Library Studies. I’ve had a fairly unique life and have given motivational/evangelical speeches to youth in my area. I am currently writing an original novella.

Link to a sample of my writing: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ives-post-rotj-l-m-h-l-update-oct-3.50003210/

Here’s the survey:

This morning I had an exam, so it was 6:30, but normally its 2 hours before when my first class is. Sometimes it’s 8:00, other times it’s 12:00

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Right now, Castle.

Cereal.

Favorite cuisine?

Japanese

What food do you dislike? Prefer?

Dislike- green beans. Prefer – Can I be really big Canadian redneck and say moose liver? I also love sashimi and sushi.

What is your favorite CD at the moment?

Babel – Mumford and Sons

Morning or night person?

Night

Favorite sandwich?

Cheese!

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for?

Despise – people who think they are better than other people and liars. I look for humour and empathy.

Favorite item of clothing?

My X-Wing pilot jacket

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be?

Ummm… EVERYWHERE! But if I had to pick one place, I’d want to go to Kenya.

What color is your bathroom?

White

Favorite brand of clothing?

None

Where would you like to visit?

Ummm. I feel that this is a repeat question. I’d love to visit King John’s castle in Ireland.

What was your most memorable birthday?

This past one. I turned the legal drinking age and my friend tried to give me a surprise birthday party, but I figured it out. A bunch of my friends “surprised” me at a local pub, and the guy I like came and gave me a hug.

Favorite sport to watch?

Curling

Pets?

A ragdoll cat named Hercule Poirot. He’s a chauvinist and a general pain in the butt.

What did you want to be when you were little?

An interior designer.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to?

December 20th

What music do you like?

Pretty much anything but Country.

Your Favorite Book?

The one that I’m going to write… one day.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    To reply to the discussion topic, I think it is important for padawans to read. You can learn a lot by analyzing how other people write. Stepping out of your comfort zone is also important to improving writing. Padawans must also remember that we all started somewhere and not to get discouraged if you are not as good as you want to be; improvement takes time.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How to Improve Writing: I think reading a lot and analyzing others' strengths is a good start, not to be a carbon copy but to include things you like about their writing into yours, like more slices of humor or scene descritpion.

Second, it is a good idea to write a scene or a bit of a scene while it's fresh; it might get crowded out otherwise by other things or ideas.

Third, come back and look at the whole thing -- the post itself - a second time after a little break of a day or so, so that you can look at it and find things that need taking out, putting in, or changing up a slight bit. :D

13. lukemaraben

lukemaraben Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    So after much debate I've decided to sign up...

Name: Lukemaraben

Looking for: Master

Era: mainly Beyond the Saga and maybe Saga

Favorite Characters: Luke, Mara, and Ben. I also like Han and Leia.

Strengths: I would say in general dialogue, ok with characterization, musing, and angst

Weaknesses: descriptions, grammar, spelling, and not finishing stories

I love to write: Since I'm new to writing fanfic I don't have a major preference as to who or what I write yet... Although I tend to read Cannon compatible stuff; missing scenes, family moments, L/M mush [face_love], and inter-trilogy.

No way will I ever write: anything TCW related or slash

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: My favorite SW movie is Return of the Jedi, I saw Disney's Tangled 3 times in theaters, I have quit reading books if it's not the right girl or guy getting together, and I love sarcasm :)

Link to a sample of my writing: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/safe-luke-w-mentions-of-callista-and-mara.50003883/#post-50047349

What time did you get up this morning? between 8 or 9 sometimes later

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? The Hunger Games

What is your favorite TV show? All time: I Love Lucy Current: The Vampire Diaries

What do you usually have for breakfast? nothing

Favorite cuisine? Mexican

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Dislike: anything seafood Prefer: lasagna is my favorite

What is your favorite CD at the moment? probably Kelly Clarkson's Stronger

Morning or night person? night

Favorite sandwich? not sure

What characteristic in other people do you despise? people who think they're better or people who hold double standards Look for? someone with a sense of humor and is easy to joke around with

Favorite item of clothing? earrings

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? Paris to visit the Louvre`

What color is your bathroom? green

Favorite brand of clothing? whatever catches my eye

Where would you like to visit? Europe

What was your most memorable birthday? my last one, when I was in Armenia

Favorite sport to watch? soccer and the Olympics in general

Pets? 2 dogs

What did you want to be when you were little? an author

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? my next day off

What music do you like? mostly Rock/pop I don't really care for rap or country

Your Favorite Book? I'm going to go with The Secret Garden

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LMB -- is there a more romantic city in the entire world than Paris? :D And oh my! ear rings! I have more of those than the Dillards' counter [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

ETA:

lukemaraben and I are teaming up - can't have too many aspiring L/M specialists -- not by a loooong shot [face_dancing] buya and :)

lukemaraben likes this.
  15. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Name: Ceillean

Era: Beyond the Saga

Favorite Characters: Kyp Durron, Jagged Fel

Strengths: Characterisation, dialogue

Weaknesses: Writing decent action scenes

I love to write: Humor, Drama and Romance. Character driven stories. Also, dark-ish twisted stories.

No way will I ever write: Slash

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: I'm a Kyp Durron fangirl. Obviously. I love music. My muse is most active when there's music around. I love to read. A LOT. And it's my goal to publish a book some day. I like tattoos, I like chocolate and I nearly choked on a bee once. Random enough for you? :p

Awakened (Kyp/OC) http://boards.theforce.net/threads/awakened-kyp-oc-completed-june-13th.31273160/

A Blossom In Winter (J/J) http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-blossom-in-winter-j-j-mush.32106965/

Trust In Me (Kyp/OC, Jaina) http://boards.theforce.net/threads/trust-in-me-kyp-oc-completed-august-13th-2010.31108946/

Exodus (AU -- all characters) http://boards.theforce.net/threads/exodus-action-adventure-drama-au-all-cast-updated-11-05.31947350/

What time did you get up this morning? 06.00, as I do every morning. Even on weekends because the will of a five year old is quite strong.

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Snow White and the Huntsman

What is your favorite TV show? Criminal Minds, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Merlin

What do you usually have for breakfast? Assorted fruits

Favorite cuisine? Don't have one. I like a bunch of stuff.

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Licorice. Seriously, how the hell can you eat that stuff?

What is your favorite CD at the moment? My favorite CD has been Breaking Benjamin's "Phobia" for years now. Favorite song atm is "Be Somebody" by Thousand Foot Krutch. This can change from day to day, though. I love music.

Morning or night person? Neither. More an evening person.

Favorite sandwich? Don't have one.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? I don't like liars. I can't deal with haughty exaggerated arrogant types. And I REALLY do not like people who think they're the center of the universe. I like nice people with a sense of humor, trutsworthy people, someone who won't stab you in the back next chance he or she gets.

Favorite item of clothing? Simple blue jeans. I've had them for years. And a pair of white running shoes with a hole right above the big left toe. :p

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? Somewhere quiet without phones or computers or televisions. Just nature at its best.

What color is your bathroom? White, red and black.

Favorite brand of clothing? Don't have a favorite brand. I don't care about brands.

Where would you like to visit? Ireland & the USA

What was your most memorable birthday? It was my 15th birthday, if I remember correctly. It was snowing and my friends and I went out for a walk. The snow was almost knee deep so we couldn't see where we were going. Eventually, all of us fell at the same time because we tripped over whatever was hiding underneath the snow. It was so funny and it still brings a smile to my face.

Favorite sport to watch? Sport...not my forte.

Pets? Does family count? :p

What did you want to be when you were little? When I was really little, I wanted to be an astronaut. Then, when I realized I'd have to be REALLY smart to accomplish this, I decided I wanted to care for babies instead. So eventually, I thought about becoming a midwife. But alas -- didn't work out. I became an insurance broker instead.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Dec 20th. Because it's the last day of work for two and a half weeks.

What music do you like? Industrial Rock, Metal, Classical, Soundtrack -- whatever I feel like. Depends on my mood.

Your Favorite Book? Myst -- The Book of Atrus

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Congrats to Jade_eyes and lukemaraben.[face_party]

Now then...we need more Paddies here.:p

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Name: Alexis_Wingstar

Era: All, but currently I mostly write in Saga/intertrilogy

Favorite Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Mace Windu, Beru Whitesun-Lars, Shmi Skywalker, Dexter Jettster... oh heck, there are too many great characters to list as favorites!

Strengths: Humor, drama, romance, and putting surprising spins on over-used plot devices.

Weaknesses: Action, scene description (that chair just appears out of nowhere when needed LOL), fine points of grammar.

I love to write: Yes, I do. :p AU stories and cannon speculation. I also really enjoy creating and developing original characters.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: I’m a bit insane... okay, quite a bit insane... insane enough to fit in without having be put into an insane asylum, so I’m so insane I’m beyond insanity. :cool:

Plot bunnies bite me at the drop of a hat... any hat. I need to keep them away with my trusty anti-wabbit bat.

Link to a sample of my writing: I’m posting several in different categories. Unfortunately some of them have been truncated during the move from the old boards.

Humor: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/breaking-dawn-jc-title-challenge-humor-au-bail-organa-fodesinbeed-an-olympic-roast.28974110/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/stupid-kid-repost-humor-au-one-shot-with-wuher-and-luke-kind-of.50004069/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/dueling-duets-2009-dare-challenge-dooku-ventress-anakin-obi-wan-humor.29894258/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/he-aint-heavy-hes-my-anakin-palpatine-mace-yoda-au-nominated-for-best-humor-2008.28067733/ (this one is a favorite of mine)

Drama:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/freedom-in-bondage-2008-ddc-oc-angst-drama-romance-update-12-21.27935067/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/those-eyes-re-2008-dear-diary-challenge-oc-romance-angst-drama-update-12-21.27960598/

Romance:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/by-the-pale-moons-light-re-third-crossover-challenge-hp-sw-x-over-dooku-mcgonagall-romance-au.29255897/ (I really need to continue this one LOL)

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-twin-suns-romance-part-i-dropping-in-beru-owen-ocs-humor-completed-10-01-07-nom-4-best-series.27008515/

SURVEY:

About 11 AM

I think it was the Clone Wars movie... can’t afford to go to the cinema much.

Star Trek (all incarnations)

Coffee, cereal, more coffee

Favorite cuisine?

Depends on my mood, actually. I haven’t had any ethnic food I didn’t like. However, since I have acid reflux, I trie to stay away from foods I know tend to be highly spicy such as Indian and Thai.

What food do you dislike? Brusselsprouts and liver are spew-inducing. Prefer? Can’t go wrong with pizza... hot for dinner, cold for breakfast.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? Considering my taste in music is rather eclectic, it’s hard to choose a favorite CD.

Morning or night person? Neither... I’m an afternoon person.

Favorite sandwich? Good question... again, depends on my mood.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Hypocrisy Look for? Honesty and a sense of humor (because they need one to deal with me :p )

Favorite item of clothing? My hoodie

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? This world? Earth? Um... Japan.

What color is your bathroom? I’m not sure what to call the color... it’s kind of the color of spiced pumpkin.

Favorite brand of clothing? I don’t pay attention to brand names.

Where would you like to visit? If I had a trusty spacesuit and were fit enough to travel in space, I’d love to go to Mars.

What was your most memorable birthday? My sixth birthday when my dad brought home a cute little puppy.

Favorite sport to watch? I don’t watch sports too much anymore, but I always loved baseball.

Pets? [face_sigh] We recently lost our cat named Peanut. He was an orange tabby, and loved going outdoors. One day a few months back he never came back home. =((

What did you want to be when you were little? LOL, many things... an astronaut, writer, librarian, mother, but most of all I wanted to be a grown up. So far I’ve accomplished the second and third.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Nothing specific, actually.

What music do you like? All kinds except for heavy metal/acid rock & hard core punk.

Your Favorite Book? I can’t just pick one!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  18. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Name: Alexis_Wingstar

Era: All, but currently I mostly write in Saga/intertrilogy

Favorite Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Mace Windu, Beru Whitesun-Lars, Shmi Skywalker, Dexter Jettster... oh heck, there are too many great characters to list as favorites!

Strengths: Humor, drama, romance, and putting surprising spins on over-used plot devices.

Weaknesses: Action, scene description (that chair just appears out of nowhere when needed LOL), fine points of grammar.

I love to write: Yes, I do. :p AU stories and cannon speculation. I also really enjoy creating and developing original characters.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: I’m a bit insane... okay, quite a bit insane... insane enough to fit in without having be put into an insane asylum, so I’m so insane I’m beyond insanity. :cool:

Plot bunnies bite me at the drop of a hat... any hat. I need to keep them away with my trusty anti-wabbit bat. Also, I tend to get carried away by accepting challenges... they are good ways to stretch yourself as a writer (over half the stories I listed below are stories I would not have thought to write if I weren't challenged by someone on these boards to do so).

Link to a sample of my writing: I’m posting several in different categories. Unfortunately some of them have been truncated during the move from the old boards.

Humor:

Breaking Dawn

Stupid Kid!

Dueling Duets

He Ain't Heavy, He's My... ? (this one is one of my favorites)

Drama:
    Freedom in Bondage

Those Eyes!

Romance:
    By the Pale Moons' Light (I really need to continue this one LOL)

A Twin Sun's Romance, Part 1: Dropping In

SURVEY:

About 11 AM

I think it was the Clone Wars movie... can’t afford to go to the cinema much.

Star Trek (all incarnations)

Coffee, cereal, more coffee

Favorite cuisine?

Depends on my mood, actually. I haven’t had any ethnic food I didn’t like. However, since I have acid reflux, I try to stay away from foods I know tend to be highly spicy such as Indian and Thai.

What food do you dislike? Brusselsprouts and liver are spew-inducing. Prefer? Can’t go wrong with pizza... hot for dinner, cold for breakfast.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? Considering my taste in music is rather eclectic, it’s hard to choose a favorite CD.

Morning or night person? Neither... I’m an afternoon person.

Favorite sandwich? Good question... again, depends on my mood.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Hypocrisy Look for? Honesty and a sense of humor (because they need one to deal with me :p )

Favorite item of clothing? My hoodie

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? This world? Earth? Um... Japan.

What color is your bathroom? I’m not sure what to call the color... it’s kind of the color of spiced pumpkin.

Favorite brand of clothing? I don’t pay attention to brand names.

Where would you like to visit? If I had a trusty spacesuit and were fit enough to travel in space, I’d love to go to Mars.

What was your most memorable birthday? My sixth birthday when my dad brought home a cute little puppy.

Favorite sport to watch? I don’t watch sports too much anymore, but I always loved baseball.

Pets? We recently lost our cat named Peanut. He was an orange tabby and loved to go outdoors. A few months ago he just never came back home. =((

What did you want to be when you were little? LOL, many things... an astronaut, writer, librarian, mother, but most of all I wanted to be a grown up. So far I’ve accomplished the second and forth.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Nothing specific, actually.

What music do you like? All kinds except for heavy metal/acid rock & hard core punk.

Your Favorite Book? I can’t just pick one!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  19. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Bump for the new users coming in, and a new discussion in honor of it being November.

Do you consider a NaNoWriMo challenge as something that can help a new author? For example, help them get used to writing longer chapters.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    For the discussion question, I can't exactly answer from experience, but I am going to give my opinion. Nano can help writers learn to get words on the page at a fast pace. I think it's something I need to learn. I am a VERY slow writer, mostly because I like to get as close to a final draft on the first go as possible - if something doesn't sound right, I go back and delete it and try again until I do get it. My style has it's positives and negatives. Most obviously, I save time editing, but it does take me a long time to get my first draft finished (but that first draft is very close to my final draft). With NaNo, you have to learn to let an awkward sentence or scene remain so, move on, then go back once you reach 50k words and edit it - even rewrite entire sections. One of these years I am going to attempt nano, just to see what that style is like.

Also, I think Nano helps with planning. Most of the people I know who have been successful at Nano have had a very clear, written out plan for their story. 50,000 words is a lot to write, even if you aren't doing it in one month. Plans are very useful.

21. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Name: CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Era: Before and Saga

Favorite Characters: Count Dooku, Grand Admiral Thrawn, General Maximilian Veers, Revan, Qui-Gon Jinn, ha I do like a good guy after all. You wouldn't think so with that list of villains now eh?

Strengths: I can write action sequences rather well. I have no problem with introspection except getting carried away with it. Once you start, it's hard to stop.

Weaknesses: Emotion. I have difficulty expressing emotion into words. I also tend to overlook describing character appearances and the scenery.

I love to write: Lately I am on a Count Dooku kick that seems to be going steadily strong though is currently competing with Macbeth from Gargoyles. The Sith Lord is winning at the moment though. Anyway, I also love to write Dooku/Jocasta and the days of Master Dooku and Padawan Jinn.

No way will I ever write: I cannot say that I will never write anything. I have written stuff I never thought I would. So I suppose I would less likely write about any character in Beyond the Saga era.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: Um... I have a very over-active imagination that comes up with more scenarios, plots, scenes than I can write down to the point that it gets frustrating. So um, if anyone needs ideas, I have plenty to share.

Um... I also recently came up with an original concept, a werewolf *drum roll* catholic priest!

I helped found the Role Playing Forum just so this forum didn't get flooded with RPers :p

I'm actually a '99er. Ste'hue'stam was my original login, but chose my current one as my permanent one.

Link to a sample of my writing: http://www.fanfiction.net/~cmdrsmonkey

What time did you get up this morning? Uh... *thinks* I woke up at 10:30ish but didn't get out of bed until 1. It's saturday, like I'm gonna get up on the weekend!

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Lincoln! Twas good for a historical political film.

What is your favorite TV show? Stargate SG-1

What do you usually have for breakfast? Lunch.

Favorite cuisine? My mother's homemade Mexican. Mmmm Tacos y tostadas!

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Brussel sprouts, ewwwwww! Chocolate, yum!

What is your favorite CD at the moment? World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria OST.

Morning or night person? Night.

Favorite sandwich? Roast Beef with Provolone, mmm. This survey is making me hungry.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? I despise people with chips on their shoulders. I like people who have a sense of humor, who can laugh even at the most serious of situations.

Favorite item of clothing? Jeans.

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? I will say Europe rather than individual countries. Too many to list.

What color is your bathroom? Boring Beige.

Favorite brand of clothing? Wranglers Blue Jeans.

Where would you like to visit? Washington D.C. before someone blows it up, preferably when they are not planning to do so.

What was your most memorable birthday? I have none. My b-days were boring and held between me and my parents. No parties for me :(

Favorite sport to watch? Use to be American Football, now nothing really.

Pets? 203 companion pets, oh wait, wrong kind of pets. :) 3 Australian Cattle Dogs and 5 American Quarterhorses.

What did you want to be when you were little? Um... Megatron? He-Man? General Hawk? Yeah, I had some interesting career choices when I was little.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Nov 8th 2016

What music do you like? Classical, Instrumental, Soundtracks, Country, Classic Rock, Celtic

Your Favorite Book? Quicksilver, I've read it five times and yet I cannot tell you who wrote it. XD

22. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Name: benknobi1

Era: All, In other words I just started a story in Saga, and next plan to write something in Beyond, and then in Before.

Favorite Characters: Obi-Wan

Strengths: Grammer, Spelling, Dialogue (maybe)

Weaknesses: Description, Plot, Dialogue, Character Development, not having completed anything longer than a very short story.

I love to write: Yes, I think... just started writing fiction.

No way will I ever write: a story about baby Luke playing with legos.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: New fiction writer, want’s to practice and improve. I like playing piano and playing sports.

Link to a sample of my writing: The Han Solo Diary and The Setting Sun

What time did you get up this morning? 5ish

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Expendables 2

What is your favorite TV show? Homeland

What do you usually have for breakfast? Fluffy Pancakes (but not every morning, that's just my fav thing to make for breakfast right now)

Favorite cuisine? French. I love to cook. I adore baking[face_love]

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Dislike green beans. Prefer chocolate, spicy food, warm food, refreshing food.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? Maroon 5 – Overexposed.

Morning or night person? Morning, but have been known to be most inspired to write just after midnight.

Favorite sandwich? Italian Oven Grinder

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? Despise disrespect. Look for Respect.

Favorite item of clothing? Pants

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? Australia

What color is your bathroom? White. Blah.

Favorite brand of clothing? None.

Where would you like to visit? Singapore

What was your most memorable birthday? Drinking cream soda with my friends for my 10th Birthday

Favorite sport to watch? Football, tennis, badminton.

Pets? Dog.

What did you want to be when you were little? A fireman.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? 25 December, and EP 7 date

What music do you like? Most music. I'm a musician.

Your Favorite Book? Pluie et vent sur Télumée Miracle (French). Now rereading Shatterpoint.

23. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Name: ardavenport

Looking for: (please indicate Master or Padawan): Padawan

Era: Before, Saga

Favorite Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Luke

Strengths: Plots, description, action

Weaknesses: Slow writer.

I love to write: Jedi

No way will I ever write: Never say never.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: (Masters should put number of current Paddys): I like math. Lots and lots of math.

Link to a sample of my writing: [hr=http://boards.theforce.net/threads/.50005658/]There Is No How[/hr]

I’m also bringing back a survey from the old thread. This was helpful to a number of people in getting to know their new Master/Padawan, and I figure it’s better to bring back the old one, rather than make a new one up from scratch. (note...survey can be done via PM if you don't want to post it in here)

What time did you get up this morning? 6:30 AM

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? The Hobbit

What is your favorite TV show? C-Span

What do you usually have for breakfast? Oatmeal

Favorite cuisine? Food.

What food do you dislike? Prefer? Dislike anchovies; Like chocolate.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? CDs? Are we still using those?

Morning or night person? Both.

Favorite sandwich? Tuna.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? Despise lying. Look for practicality.

Favorite item of clothing? My Jedi robe.

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? DragonCon.

What color is your bathroom? Dingy mustard walls.

Favorite brand of clothing? Goodwill.

Where would you like to visit? Outer space.

What was your most memorable birthday? 40th.

Favorite sport to watch? None.

Pets? None.

What did you want to be when you were little? A Starfleet Officer.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Tomorrow.

What music do you like? Movie music.

Your Favorite Book? The Origin of Species.

24. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Name: Takianna

Looking for: (please indicate Master or Padawan) Master

Era: Saga

Favorite Characters: Obi-wan, Captain Rex

Strengths: Crazy ideas and the love of writing

Weaknesses: Description and some dialogue

I love to write: Drama

No way will I ever write: I don't do robots.

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: I once danced during the halftime show of the Citrus Bowl.

Link to a sample of my writing: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2064963/Takianna

What time did you get up this morning? 6 a.m. (every single morning of my life!)

What was the last film you saw at the cinema?TPM 3D

What is your favorite TV show? Big Bang Theory

What do you usually have for breakfast? Poptarts (Yeah they raised a whole generation of people)

Favorite cuisine? Mexican

What food do you dislike? Prefer? I don't eat steak. I love pastas.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? I don't really have one. I listen to all kinds of music.

Morning or night person? Neither. I'm more of a middle of the day kind of person.

Favorite sandwich? Turkey, white bread, mustard, potato chips on top!

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? Stupidity. Humor.

Favorite item of clothing? PJs

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? I would go to England. I've always wanted to see it.

What color is your bathroom? Blue

Favorite brand of clothing? I don't care about brands

Where would you like to visit? Somewhere warm.

What was your most memorable birthday? I was five years old and I got this cool Wonder Woman articulated full size cardboard thing that you put up on your wall. How I miss that thing.

Favorite sport to watch? FOOTBALL (American)

Pets? I have three cats who run the house. Albus is the nonsense orange one, Tojo is the Siamese who is too good for everyone and Leela the little kitten who likes to chase you down the hall.

What did you want to be when you were little? I wanted to be a nurse or a teacher.

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? My baby's first birthday.

What music do you like? Heavy metal from the 80s. Yeah, give me some Def Leppard, Poison and Motley Crue and I'll be one happy camper.

Your Favorite Book? I don't really have a favorite. I like to read all kinds of stuff.

25. Jedi Master Thon

Jedi Master Thon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2013
    Name: Thon (of course)

Era: Rise of the Empire, Post-Legacy

Favorite Characters: Thon (of course), Coleman Kcaj, Furlag, Brangus Glee

Strengths: Detail, Characters

Weaknesses: VERY Impatient

I love to write: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Satire, Political Satire (often in the form of Sci-Fi and Fantasy)

No way will I ever write: Romance, Adventure (in the "Indy" sense)

Random Facts and Fun Information about me: ???

Link to a sample of my writing: Check it out here

And:

What time did you get up this morning? 6:30

What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Haven't been to see a movie in a while.

What is your favorite TV show? Don't watch a lot of TV, but I love Criminal Minds

What do you usually have for breakfast? Bagel or toast

Favorite cuisine? American, Italian, and Arcona

What food do you dislike? Prefer? I love most food. I hate cheese (unless it's pizza) and mushrooms.

What is your favorite CD at the moment? Don't know

Morning or night person? Night. Definitely night.

Favorite sandwich? Salami, Turkey, Pepperoni, and/or Chicken with loads of mustard on top, stuffed inside a sourdough roll.

What characteristic in other people do you despise? Look for? I despise bigotry, selfishness and hypocrisy. Look for humor, kindness, and competitiveness.

Favorite item of clothing? Don't care.

If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would it be? Coruscant. And Greece

What color is your bathroom? Grey

Favorite brand of clothing? Don't care

Where would you like to visit? Coruscant. And Greece

What was your most memorable birthday? ???

Favorite sport to watch? Football (American), Fencing, Podracing

Pets? None

What did you want to be when you were little? Don't remember

What date on the calendar are you looking forward to? Nothing special

What music do you like? Not opera, classical, or tween pop. Changes depending on what I write, e.g. Dark music for dark writing, dubstep for club scenes, etc.

Your Favorite Book? Like almost all books

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.