main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Creche - Masters and Padawans available for every era! Take a look!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    ANNOUNCEMENT!

Newbie of the Week:
    We are pleased to present, for your inspection, Card_Dreamer. He has been on the lists since 12/07/05 and is still very much interested in a Master. From the reviews that we have made of his stories, he is going to be an OC centric writer. Please read his excerpt (let's take the reviews to his thread, though) and if you like what you see... send him a PM!

[b]NAME:[/b] Card Dreamer

[b]LOOKING FOR:[/b] A Master

[b]ERA:[/b] The Saga, Beyond The Saga

[b]FAVE CHARACTERS[/b]:Luke, Qui-Gon, ewoks! Yoda, Thrawn, Dooku

[b]STRENGTHS:[/b] Good story lines, plot joiner (picking up loose plots, or expanding on), detial and general ideas

[b]WEAKNESS:[/b] MOTIVATION! I got so much going on I like to do. I need/want this to be a major focus. Also, a better vocab.

[b]I LOVE TO WRITE:[/b] I try for novels, but short stories work (and outside SW, I like to write poetry too). Love themes seem to be a strength of mine, as does action.

[b]NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:[/b] you know, I don't think I've found that limit yet...

[b]RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME:[/b] 26 years old, male and love to write, draw, read...hmm, this isn't supposed to be my bio, huh? I enjoy making up short stories for my 5 year old son, who's into SW every bit as much as me and other common interests as well. I share a love of Star Wars, Star Trek and fantasy. Hopefully one day, I'll be a published writing in one, if not all 3 fields...

[/color]

2. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Now, in its unaltered form, an excerpt provided by Card_Dreamer:

?Zyne,? he spoke after a minute of focusing. ?Start the second phase.?

?Understood.?

After that, there were a few minutes or so where nothing had seemed to change. Then, in the sky one could hear starships approach. Chu looked up to see the Republic Assault Transports, now safe for approach thanks to the gunships, begin to descend.

One at a time they landed, depositing the Republic?s own heavy ground forces; AT-TEs, Juggernaut Troop Carriers, SPHA-Ts and a dozen of the latest in the Republic?s arsenal, AT-PTs. They began to move out, taking up their assigned positions. SPHA-Ts stayed immobile at the rear, having the farthest firing distance. Stationed in front of them were the AT-TEs, moving forward a few steps at a time only when all immediate targets had been eliminated. The AT-PTs or All Terrain Personal Transports, took the offensive, marching forward and spreading out. Ahead of the pack however, were the Juggernauts, the latest from Kuat Drive Yards.

Considered the new replacement for the AT-TEs, the Juggernauts sported very similar tech designs, from the same armor, similar cockpit layout and sensory data to simple effectiveness. Instead of walking, the AT-TEs had ten large durable wheels and were able to reach up to two hundred kilometers over even, rocky, or broken terrain. It did however, have to slow down to twenty-five kilometers when making its large turns. The vehicles sported other surprises as well, including the fifty elite class Clone Troopers Tas had assigned to this mission awaiting in each one of them.

The Juggernauts sped ahead deep into the middle of the capital city and came to a halt, long enough to open its top entry hatch. Out of the top climbed elite Clone Troopers and they were dressed in solid black armor as apposed to the traditional white. The only other colors were the various red, yellow and blue rank stripes. Strapped to the back of these troopers were solid black jet packs armed each with a rocket launcher, similar to the style worn by the late Jango Fett, the model for the clones themselves.

One by one, the Flight Troopers as Tas had dubbed them, took off into the city. Each were armed with a light repeating blaster assault rifle and two reloads for the rocket launchers. They flew through the city, black blurs in a smoke filled sky, setting ablaze key targets and using their light blasters to take out enemy snipers and ground troopers and their few rockets on the heavy assault ground forces.

After the last of the Flight Troops had taken to the air, the Juggernauts took off once again with a pilot in each of the two command cabins and six gunners in each vehicle. More than just a heavily armored troop carrier, the vehicle was armed with three laser cannons, a turret-mounted blaster canon for anti-air support and two concussion grenade launchers for trooper cover. Immediately upon setting off for either side of the city, the Juggernauts began to open fire; taking down buildings, gun turrets, and more heavy assault vehicles. The battle had now become one sided.

Tas Chu, Jedi Master and server of the Force, continued to watch the battle unfold through the electrobinoculars. His units were now all in position and doing the very jobs they were cloned to do. And doing those jobs exceedingly well. He could see his Flight Troopers soaring through the city, raining crimson and crystal colored energy down upon the Separatist Army. And Zyne was leading those Flight Troopers himself.
    [hr]

[color=darkblue]Hopefully [b]C_D[/b] will come and give us a little background on the piece and take questions ... Remember, we want to adopt him out!!!!![/color]

3. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I'll have the excerpt up as soon as I receive it! And play nice, everybody. No fighting over the cute little Padawan.[face_shame_on_you]

I will see you all in the morning.

Auntie Z

4. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    *points* Look, Z! He's 26. :( I can't take a padawan more than five years older than me. Policy.

5. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Wise policy, Young Master.

6. Card_Dreamer

Card_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2003
    I most certainly will! However, since I'm at work right now, I'll be able to answer Qs and give feedback come 12 my time (3 hours from now). However, the except if from the Tales From the CW I'm posting (and link to in my Sig), so there's background (and more of the story(ies) there. As for Qs, ask away, I'll answer when I get back =)

7. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    CD, when you write Beyond, what point in beyond do you write?

8. Card_Dreamer

Aug 5, 2003
    (Break time!) Well, before any Qs, I'll give some background on this work, if only because I know it can be a pain to keep hopping boards.

EDIT!: The story specifically, I wrote almost as a tie in to the NJO. The story is about a Jedi Master who is having a hard time dealing with the CW (like all!) However, along the way, he discovers an unlikely friend and in the end, makes a startling discovery.
    Linking elements from Shatterpoint (Mace's vision, his realization the Jedi have to change) and the NJO elements that the Temple was built on a pool of Dark Side Energy, as well as statements (I forgot some specific detials on who said what, or if it was an OoP perspective) that the Jedi's arrogance in believing they were the ultimate good, etc. Also, before much was known on the Potentium, I wanted to tie that in, as well as a line from the Ep3 book; the convo between Yoda and Qui-Gon which was about how the Jedi refused to change and that's why they fell. I took all that, and tried to tie it into the first few Jedi as was told in the Essential Chrono (I believe it was).
    Unfortunately, due to the canon state of the now established Potentium, I had to revise how the end of the above story goes. And I'm not sure I did a well enough job. I'll let people here on the boards determine that once I get the whole thing posted.

In a greater sense, the story, as seen, if part of a Tales collection, bringing togther various CW adventures. Also, as can be seen, the authors of that project were finding ways to link our stories together. So that, though they work stand alone, you can see how it affected everyone. I also thought it would be a nice way to tie in emotionally to those who just suffered through the NJO.

Now, Questions:

Vongchild: As for Beyond, I jump around. The NJO segments of the CW Tales takes place only 1 month after. I have another "novel" which takes place prior to Survivor's Quest. Still a little vignette (is that the right term?) which takes place after the Corellian Trilogy. And of course, I have the Chewbacca Interview, written specifically for the forums here due to the newbie challange.
    A lot of my stuff (not posted yet) is actually set before or sometime during the prequals. I actually have a timeline chart written up (with a friend I write a lot with) to keep track of our stuff.

Keep the Qs coming!

9. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    And what's your oppinion on the Yuuzhan Vong?

10. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    Careful with your answer to Vong's question...if you answer it wrong she might break out the Embrace of Pain![face_worried] :p

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    My padawan Kadi has decided that due to Darth School she is not able to be my apprentice during the school year. I will be taking her on again come summer time but for now she wishes to not be a padawan :)

12. Card_Dreamer

Aug 5, 2003
    Vongchild: My views on the vong. that's a loaded Q, and thanks to DCWiz, I'm not sure I'm comfortable answering ;P

Seriously though, I think, as a whole, the Vong were great villians. I love the biotech, I love coming from the outside, and I love the different castes, how they function and even their reiglious structures.
    I'm not completey sure how I feel about the concept of them being stripped of the Force, though the concept isn't a new one, since KOTOR and comics from the same time period all seem to have dealt with the issue in individual basis. Even Callista in Children is an aspect of it. I would like a book detailins what lead up to their stripping of the Force, and why exactly it was done.

As for other quirks, well, as much as I liked them, I do feel they were somewhat 1 dimensional. These villians were specifically designed to challenge and shake our beloved heroes to the core, and they did. but, that leads to the flaw that, outside of war, this entire culture, this race, has NO STRUCTURE. I know they have conquored their entire galaxy, but at what cost and why? I think a good part of their invasion into the GFFA is because they couldn't function without war. Their society just isn't set up for it.
    Think about it. No politics, no elections. We just saw different sects, all coordinating WAR effors. No family interactions, or friendships, no sense of loss or regret. Etc.

No race can simply start out with this philosephy, and I would like to see a few books focused on the Vong in their own galaxy. What drove them to keep conquering, why they hated machines, and the political intrigue of those in power who realized their society wasn't set up to handle peace.

I think that is also why we only seem them briefly in the Joiner King. And when we do, they're fighting. No one, not even th authors, quite know how to handle a race that was designed to destroy. It's be great to see that real world truth be put into a story aspect and dealt with, It would flesh them out, and I think really pull people in.

I hope that works! =P

13. Darkest_Feather

Darkest_Feather Jedi Master

Dec 21, 2005
    NAME: Alexandra, Alex

LOOKING FOR: a kindly, benevolent, patient Master

ERA: Saga, Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Obi-wan, Vader, Luke, Han, Yoda

STRENGTHS: spelling, plot-line, breeding plot bunnies

WEAKNESS: characterization, NJO

I LOVE TO WRITE: romance, comedy, angst

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Obidalas

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm Dahlia_Santary's younger sister. But since she already has two padawans I guess it would be better if I got another master.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: I really haven't written anything myself. But I've helped my sister ALOT with her own fic.

14. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    You're a fine one to talk. Don't ever call her Vong! However, the rest is pretty true.

15. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Welcome Darkest_Feather! We will update the lists this evening and find you a Master (hopefully) very soon. Might I suggest that you find a challenge and participate so that we can see how you write? It really speeds the process along! If you woul dlike some suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Auntie Z

16. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    Yeah but I like the embrace of pain. :p

17. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    That's MISS VONG to you. Or even better, Vongy or VC. Just NOT Vong. :p

Darkest_feather, have you read New Jedi Order? You're the right age and era for me to consider you. :)

18. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Hi there, just wanted to say hallo.

Master, where are you??

19. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Minela, who is your Master?

20. Card_Dreamer

Aug 5, 2003
    Any other questions about the writing, or my styles, interests, ideas, or anything else?

Also, on the Age comment from Vongchild and others: would it help to set everyone at ease if I said I'm mentally age 10? =P

21. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    C_D,

You say that you often right in Before the Saga as well?

What about Original Characters? My reviewer said that you seemed to enjoy this aspect of fan fic a lot.

Also, do you prefer to stay in canon, or AU? Or both?

22. Card_Dreamer

Aug 5, 2003
    To answer the easy questions first:

Zonoma:

1.) AU Vs Canon: I prefer I stay in canon. I was never big on doing AU stories or reading them (though there's one in particular I love that's going on on the forums at: Sanctuary of Time.
    I do do crossovers (as I have a NON faboy cross between Trek/Wars that I'm working on. I refuse to be drawn into a Trek Vs Wars debate be it in stories or forums. Each has factual strengths and weakness and I am happy to accept all of that).
    I think writing in canon however, is very difficult. I'll get so far in a fic, and someting will come out that hurts what I've done. But i'm a perfectionist and I will revise my work to fit. Sometimes that's worked to my advantage, sometimes not.

2.) Writing Eras: Yes, I have written stuff Before The Saga, as well as Beyond and During. I'm well versed =).

3.) OC Characters: This is a tough one. It never started out that way for me. I always enjoyed, in anything I wrote, using established characters. I found it easier to write about characters I knew and loved, because the ground work was done.
    When I started in SW, my approach was the same. Use established, be it EU or movie characters. Then friends and I hit a point where we thought it'd be cool to do a SW version of ourselves. What character we liked and write a story about us. I think I was the only one who really went all out. In doing a character based on me, I had to create background within the SW universe that fit with canon, as well as make up new OCs. Sure, there was interaction with knowns, but, the OCs soon took on lives of their own.
    SW, for me, is something unique. It's a universe that seems to have all the rules already established and easy ones at that. I never felt it hard to make up OCs that fit in, since it was an entire galaxy to play with. Infact, it was down right easy. Not even in Trek, my other Sci-Fi love, could I make OCs easily.

That was probably long winded andnot what you were looking for, but I felt compelled to explain my OCs. to the point, do I have some? Tons. I'm a heavy writer with a particular friend, who's handle on AIM and our days at the SW: CCG Palace is Slaixth. He's got an OC character he came up with (and an entire system and species to go with it!).We have very often written stories involving each other's stuff and referencing it. We find it a lot of fun to have our own little histories going.

A short list of some OCs I've made (be them established here or not):

1.) Jayne Kar'mn - Human Female, host of Coruscant Insider (see Chewbacca interview)

2.) Tas Chu - Camaasi male, Jedi Master (see Dark Secret of the Jedi in CW Tales)

3.) Jasti Pawes - Givin male, Jedi Padawan/Knight who ultimately falls to the Dark Side. Slaixth picks up his training after D'Kue leaves. (Before the Saga era)

4.) D?Kue Bri?Lisk - Elomin male, Jedi Master who started training Jasti, but left the order for unknown reasons before Jasti's training was complete. (Before the Saga era)

5.) Bromm Briema - Ryn male. Leader of a group of ryn looking for a new world to settle. (Before the Saga)
    5.5) subsequent Ryn minor characters in Bromm's group

6.) Beinang D?ocnor - Human male, Imperial pilot/rep partnered with a NR rep to exlore the Unknown Regions as part of a Peace collaboration. (Beyond the Saga)

7.) Sista Pwetár - Human Female, Republic pilot/rep partnered with Imp Remnant to explore the Uknown Regions as part of a Peace Collaboration. (Beyond the Saga)

8.) Grand Ruler Tagra - Human male, and leader of a ssytem in the unknown regions. Excess collector of the rare. Dangerously so...(Beyond the Saga)

EDIT! 9.) Das Shim?drak - Yuuzhan Vong warrior, male. Helping GFFA with Coruscant restoration after the YV war. (Beyond the Saga, see CW Tales).

And others; Captain Twach?rin - Second In Command, Kretch, Rodian Lacky, Chugra the Hutt - Crime lord, and more...

So yeah, I like to use OCs. More fun and versitale. And as morbid

23. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    And how do you feel about the darker side of fan fiction (high tension, horror)? Are you open to try new things? Or is all your stuff "warm and fuzzy"?

24. Tiffanty1

Tiffanty1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    hey so does anyone want to adopt me?

Tiffanty

25. Card_Dreamer

Aug 5, 2003
    ooh, I like these questions!

Zonoma: I love good tension and horror I'm cool with. I don't think I've done extreme horror, but I've had Jasti slit a few throats ala Freddy Krueger glove...

I sincerely hope nothing I do is purely fluff =P

I think the only thing in SW I don't want to see fanfic write is the more..."adult" writings? Slash, or basically, anything intensley based on sexual encounters. I understand sex is part of SW...but we don't need play by plays, imo...

(sorry if that seems a little over the top for anyone).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.