main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Creche - Masters and Padawans available for every era! Take a look!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    I'm pretty sure it was in this thread.

Incidentally, I know I'm not on either list. My Master Elana is kind of absent at the moment; at some point I might ask her if she'd consider me Knightable and consider looking for a Padawan of my own. Not sure how well suited I am to a mentor, though.

2. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    Personally, I think having the list on the first page works best so long as it remains updated regualarly. That way everyone knows exactly where to look and it will make it easier for the Creche Master to keep it mantained.

And I like JadeSolo's discussion topic suggestions.

I do think that assignments should probably remain personal between Master and Padawan as each padawan is working on something different. Although, perhaps an occassional challenge could be interesting to help newer padawans who are still seeking a master (particularly those who don't have online samples of their writing) to showcase their work? It could be something like a round robin where each padawan seeking a master would add a new part to the story and could keep adding until they found a master. That way potential masters can get a veiw of their writing and how they adapt when the story changes suddenly.:D

Not sure if that makes any sense, but I just thought it might prove to be an interesting idea. o_O

Anyway, I also like the idea of reinstating the Master's courses. Or maybe (and they would probably need to be entirely new threads) establish a Masters' Support Group and a Padawans' Support Group where senior masters can help newer masters and older padawans can assist the younger ones.

I'm going to stop now, before I continuing rambling all night. I'm exhausted, so if none of this makes any sense, that's why! :D I-) I-)

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I like those suggestions. A ?break-the-ice? poll would be fun ? the format posted here, but answers shared between the master/padawan pairings only. Those early getting-to-know-you days can be awkward and a pre-formatted questionnaire-ish-thing could help get the ball rolling. [face_peace]

Beta?ing is another issue. Some Masters beta and some don?t. The Beta Reader Thread should be recommended as an option for someone who just wants concrit on their fics and not necessarily a mentor for the JC.

I don?t think we ever had the Master?s classes. Or I missed them. [face_blush]

4. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    I thought we kind of started to have them...

Oh, wait. Maybe I'm mixing it up with something on the Etiquette thread.

I like the idea of offering challenges to unclaimed padawans. I wouldn't mind discussing recommendations for them.

I'd recommend caution in splitting things off onto multiple boards? It's not like they're private, and there's something to be said for keeping this thread active and near the top of the boards. We don't want the actual introductory posts to get lost, but we don't want to clutter the board or have the relevant threads get lost either.

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Although, perhaps an occassional challenge could be interesting to help newer padawans who are still seeking a master (particularly those who don't have online samples of their writing) to showcase their work?

Wanted to get this down before I fall asleep and forget it, so that's my disclaimer if this idea sounds half-baked. :p

For newbies who don't have writing samples, I suggest pointing them towards Resource threads for their favorite characters or genres. Many do little exercises and challenges that you can post right in the thread without having to write a thousand words of story. The way I see it, you get three benefits:

1) Newbie gets a writing sample - short one, but it can go a long way.

2) Newbie gets to explore the wide world of Resource.

3) Should there not be a master in here who fits the newbie, there may be someone in whatever discussion thread the newbie dropped into who would be interested in mentoring. And even if this doesn't happen, the newbie may still decide to hang around the discussion thread, thus providing it with another regular participant.

6. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I would like to announce that I've recently taken on a third Padawan...:D

PHGS_Weyr

So be on the look out for his first story.

FL @};-

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Jade hit the nail on the head with this suggestion and I did this myself via PM with the newbies who posted wanting a master without a sample of writing. My favorite recommendation (outside of character challenges if they had a favorite) is usually Twich's Twisted Sisters because it provides a springboard but nothing else. :D I usually provide the newby a link to the thread and a brief explanation of how it works.

8. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    So I have another question along these lines - I got the comments people gave in the survey from Luna, and she said that one of the comments given was to start a new thread as the length of this one might be daunting to a newbie. What is your opinion on this? Would the length of the thread lead you to shy away if you were new? Or, if you've recently come to the boards and found a Master, did you think twice, seeing how long this is?

9. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    Mm.... I don't know. Granted, it's been a while for me, but once I figured out what the thread was (and that I did not in fact have to read the whole thing in order to find a potential Master ;)) I think the length just tended to indicate it was well established. If we include discussion, it might be useful to keep some sort of index or summary of useful points, but I don't see any really intrinsic... accessibility benefit... to having it shorter.

Now, the Etiquette thread, that one's daunting. And the first few posts left me afraid to PM anybody, about anything, ever. :p

On the writing sample thing... granted, I certainly see why Masters would want some idea what they were going to be dealing with! But what do we do if the newcomer has come to the Creche thread first for the express purpose of getting a mentor who can prevent dumb and embarrassing first-post mistakes?

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think that discussion topics are excellent :D

And I also like the idea of having support groups -- something off-boards, probably.

Excerpts in this thread -- I'd say that that isn't a good idea. If a master wants to get a sample, follow the provided links, PM the newbies, for go through "lastest posts" of newbies.

11. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    But what do we do if the newcomer has come to the Creche thread first for the express purpose of getting a mentor who can prevent dumb and embarrassing first-post mistakes?

When I think of the Jedi Temple creche, I picture several masters supervising the kids and herding them wherever they need to be. I imagine you could have the same here - a few oldbies who can work with the newbs, give them some basics, and just like the Jedi, possibly even adopt them if they find a good match. :D

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like that idea; get a group of masters willing to come in and answer questions and help out newbies in this thread that come and ask specific questions.

13. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    What is your opinion on this? Would the length of the thread lead you to shy away if you were new? Or, if you've recently come to the boards and found a Master, did you think twice, seeing how long this is?

I guess this would alter from person to person, however, for me personally, I posted an aplication for a master in the old adoption thread which was pretty long by the time I came around. So I guess, personally, I wouldn't be intimidated by the length of the thread...

When I think of the Jedi Temple creche, I picture several masters supervising the kids and herding them wherever they need to be. I imagine you could have the same here - a few oldbies who can work with the newbs, give them some basics, and just like the Jedi, possibly even adopt them if they find a good match.

...You know...that's actually a really good idea. Plus I like the idea of us living up to Jedi standards;) :p

14. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Jade... That's a brilliant idea. Maybe have a panel of people listed in the first few posts that have okayed themselves to be PMed with questions - a bit less daunting than the mods, but still someone to turn to. Also have this thread to field fan fic questions.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    NAME: Dooku

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan) Master for a NON-SW Writer (I'd especailly like a reader for my fantasy: Unlikely Family; which has some quirks in it's styling: changing POV's, is told in the Present Tense even while relating past events, characters using more than one name, etc.)

ERA: I like all majr eras of SW but know nothing of the KOTOR games.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Biggs, Luke, Wedge, Talon, Gilad, Streen, Ikrit, Anakin Solo the X-Wing (the coolest vessel, ever!)

Least Fave Characters: Anakin Skywalker! Mara Jade! [face_sick]

STRENGTHS: Detail, relationships

WEAKNESS: tenses, grammar, commas

I LOVE TO WRITE: Fantasy with aliens!

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Slash, smut

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I love canids, especially wolves. I've been a SW fan since about 8 years old, I have a cat, I like New Age Music

16. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Welcome to Fan Fic, Dooku. :D

TMJ, I tell people to PM me anyway, so I'd be happy to be on that list. If you don't mind a mod. [face_blush]

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I echo Jade :)

And I don't think there needs to be a new thread. Most threads are daunting when they get so big, but this thread just has old names and such so after the into and lists, it's pretty easy to figure out and then just post :)

18. master_jedi_tink

master_jedi_tink Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Name: Tinker

Looking For: Master

Era: All

Fave characters: Dont have a particular fav character

Strengths: Loads of ideas running around insside my head

Weeknesses: Not writing down my ideas before i forget them

I love to write: Anything realy, i'm fair game.

Random facts: Iv'e started about 12 novels and never actualy finished them.
    My brain just wont stop thinking, maybe i was born to write.

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't see any reason to turn down help, regardless of where it comes from!

What I'll probably end up doing is just re-vamping some of the earlier posts to fit some of the newer ideas. Anyone have a clever idea for what I could call the panel of people who can be PMed with questions? I'm drawing a blank.

Welcome, master_jedi_tink!

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome, Tink!!

Um, the Master something? Sorry, that's all I've got at the moment :p

21. master_jedi_tink

Jun 24, 2007
    Thanks guys.

It took me a long time to actualy get around this thread and finaly put my post up so i think starting a new one is a good idea. this is a long thread to search for masters, and padawans.

22. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    But you're not supposed to search the whole thread -- the first page links to the "active" applications. (Should that be in the title somewhere? *unsure*)

23. master_jedi_tink

Jun 24, 2007
    well, im new to this forum thingy.

Do you think my post name will put masters off taking me on, what with naming myself master as well. can you change post names?

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    To change names you'd have to start a new one. But no, it's won't turn anyone off.

My suggestion, however, is that you pick a favorite time period and a couple characters you really like. That way masters who like what you do can see that you share interests and maybe want to adopt you :)

25. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Iv'e started about 12 novels and never actualy finished them

Interesting[face_thinking] I have that same problem.

Anyone have a clever idea for what I could call the panel of people who can be PMed with questions? I'm drawing a blank.

Ummm...
    "MOD -- Masters On Duty (AKA Masters On Dope)"
    "Those In Touch With The Ways Of The Fanfic"
    "5 Masters Can Help You Save Money On Fanfic Insurance"
    ...no sorry, my creativity has abandoned me at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.