main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX The Crowe!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Kurgan1, Mar 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Who wants to bet that Steve Martin dies at the hands of Russell Crowe before the week is out?

That was the coldest stare I've ever seen in my life.

2. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    "And now... a man I like to call a close personal friend, except that he asked me not to call him that..."

Damn, that was funny. The Tom Hanks thing was even funnier.

BTW, Brandon... THERE IS JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Cameron Crowe is a GOD.

3. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I for one can't believe that ALIEN3 or HIGHLANDER:ENDGAME weren't given awards last night!! I mean, aren't they like..uh..the only two movies in the world that are any good?

4. DonnovanSunrider

DonnovanSunrider Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I wish that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had gotten more. Though I know it was doomed from the start since it was foreign.
    Is it just me, or did that movie have a very "Jedi Knight" feel to it? I wanna see Chow Young Fat as a Jedi in Ep 3!!!!
    :)

5. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Crouching Tiger was a SW movie in everything but wardrobe, title, and lightsabers. =)

Nah, this seemed to be one of the most fair Oscars I've seen in quite a while. There were only a few things that I thought were wrong, namely best score. Gladiator has one of the greatest scores in recent history. Crouching Tiger's was good, but it's not one that stands up to Gladiator. Oh, well.

And Rob--there will only be true justice in this world when Benicio Del Toro stars alongside Chow Yun Fat in a John Woo action film. And Del Toro MUST be the villain. Then, there shall be much rejoicing.

Yay!

6. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    I hope they relece Crouching wider again, and I know they wont do it but, wouldnt it be cool to see Gladiator on the screen again? (or for the 1st time for me ;) )

7. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    I think my favorite moments were the thank-yous from the CTHD crew, the digs at Crowe and Hanks, and especially the massive crowd response to the shot of Sir Alec Guinness (mhrip) as Obi-Wan leading into the memoriam for Walter Matthau.

There were several gaffes by the orchestra, but overall the technical side was handled well, with the coordinating via satellite of Arthur C. Clarke and the Vincent Price-looking Bob Dylan.

Maintained the status quo, slapped ILM on the hand again (Gladiator SFX ?[face_plain] LOL), but gave some props to the challenging (Traffic) and the exotic (CTHD).

8. Loudox

Loudox Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2001
    I tend to think Russell Crowe was being a jerk at the Academy's. As much as I loved Gladiator and did not love Cast Away, I still think Tom Hanks deserved Best Actor. Anyone could have played Maximus but it takes a really strong actor to carry a movie like Cast Away for 3 hours by yourself.

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    I really can't agree. Although I really liked both films, Russell Crowe's performance was spectacular. He played a character that very easily could have been made like many action characters--larger than life and superhuman. But he kept it down to realistic levels, and made the character seem human, sympathetic, and very believable. It's that everyman quality about him that made his performance so good.

Tom Hanks, on the other hand, although I liked him quite a bit in CastAway, seemed to shout a little too loudly, "Hey, Oscars, are you looking?" But it also didn't deliver quite the performance of Gump or Philadelphia to warrant the golden boy, in my opinion.

Jarvis, you may get your wish greater than you can imagine---Gladiator is travelling the country in IMAX format, and I would imagine it'll get here sooner than later. Then,...you will have your freedom. =)

10. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    I really can't agree. Although I really liked both films, Russell Crowe's performance was spectacular. He played a character that very easily could have been made like many action characters--larger than life and superhuman. But he kept it down to realistic levels, and made the character seem human, sympathetic, and very believable. It's that everyman quality about him that made his performance so good.

He wasn't a jerk at the Academy. He was just sitting there, minding his own business when Steve Martin (living up to his name as the Jerk) came gunning for him. Maybe he's a friend of Meg Ryan's, I don't know, but a public slap in the face like that was uncalled for, not to mention the kidnapping thing. Even though it was a joke, it wasn't very funny.

Tom Hanks, on the other hand, although I liked him quite a bit in CastAway, seemed to shout a little too loudly, "Hey, Oscars, are you looking?" But it also didn't deliver quite the performance of Gump or Philadelphia to warrant the golden boy, in my opinion.

Jarvis, you may get your wish greater than you can imagine---Gladiator is travelling the country in IMAX format, and I would imagine it'll get here sooner than later. Then,...you will have your freedom. =)

11. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Cool, I cant wait to check it out. :D

12. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    I dunno the Gladi-HATER did seem to me to be acting like a jerk. Sure Steve Martin tossed a couple of barbs his way, unfortunately, he didn't appear to have the sense of humor to roll with it. I'm no Julia Roberts fan, by any stretch, but she handled the jokes at her expense so much better. Maybe it's an American thing, he just didn't get, or maybe it hit too close to home. Steve Martin was great, no schtick long song parodies, or bits, just the occational funny and biting comment. Do I think a ny less of Crowe as an actor? Nope. Do I still think Gladiator should have won best pic? Yep. Just my two bits.

13. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Russell Crowe==King of the Aussies and the coolest actor in years.

Steve Martin==guy that hasn't had a hit in ten years, and isn't funny anymore.

And you all know that you would have jumped up cheering if he'd jumped on the stage, decapitated Martin, and yelled, "Are you not f$%^ing entertained?!!!!"

=)

14. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    I personally think he should have started his speech with "I guess you WERE entertained." Plus, he dropped an f-bomb when they announced his name, which was pretty cool. I think he just went into business mode when he got there.

Or maybe he was just sad that HIGHLANDER: ENDGAME got snubbed. :) I know, I know... I liked it too. But sometimes, you just gotta take the shot. But what do I know: I bought CHARLIE'S ANGELS on DVD yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.