main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Crystal Skull DVD Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darth_Harmon, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    While the film isn't even out yet, what are your thoughts on the DVD release?

I would like to see the film come out in as a standard two-disc set (none of that standard 1-disc BS with the 2-disc referred to as the "Special Edition"). To make the release both its own and apart of the previous Indiana jones boxed set, a reversible cover (like the King of Kong dvd) would be perfect! One side (the side you see in stores) would feature full color art from the upcoming official poster, or a photo montage much like the Star Wars DVDs. The reverse would look much like this:
    [image=http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5019/jonesdvdwq1.jpg]

My dream features list is as follows,
    Disc 1:
    -Commentary Track with George Lucas & Harrison Ford (as Speilberg isn't known to do commentary tracks)
    -Theatrical Trailers

Disc 2:
    -The Making of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - a 30 minute doc on the film from inception to release.
    -The SFX of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 10 minutes
    -The Stunts of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 10 minutes
    -The Music of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 10 minutes
    -The Facts of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 10 minutes, much like the Young Indy DVDs, this doc covers the historical connections of the film including the Aztec/Mayan/Inca civilizations and the incident at Roswell.
    -Interviews With the Cast - Much like The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion release, you select an actor and listen to a 5 to 10 minute interview with them concerning their role in the film.

I haven't kept up on where Paramount stands on high def formats, but a Google search led me to believe that they currently support HD-DVD. Can anybody answer which format IJatKotCS will be on? What is YOUR dream release?

2. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I want a boxset of all 4 Indy movies, considering i've held off buying the dvd's for the first 3 (let's say i had a feeling Indy 4 was gonna get made [face_laugh] )

I'd love an audio commentary with Spielberg, Lucas and Harrison. Of course i want to see behind the scenes and making of, so just load it up with stuff :p

3. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I'd like a much longer making of doc than 30 minutes. Interviews with Frank Darabont, M. Night Shyamalan, and David Koepp as well.

4. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Where did that cover art come from?

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's the cover art to the comic adaptation to KOTCS.

As for the DVD, it's a bit early to be thinking about this, especially since the film wasn't even released yet. :p But anyway, it would be neat to see an in-depth 'making of' documentary and some commentary from Ford, Spielberg and Lucas. I know Spielberg usually doesn't do commentaries, but you never know.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    HD-DVD is officially dead. Paramount, Universal and Toshiba have all announced they're dropping all future manufacturing in the near future. Even if that weren't the case, Steven Spielberg always said he wasn't going to allow his movies to be released on HD-DVD.

At any rate, I just hope the release of Crystal Skull is accompanied by the release on Blu-Ray of the first 3 Indiana Jones movies. The 4-movie Blu-Ray set would make an awesome present this coming Holiday Season.

What would be even better would be an Ultimate Indiana Jones collection, which included all 4 theatrical films and the complete "Young Indiana Jones" TV series. I'm sure on Blu-Ray discs, it would be maybe 7 or 8 discs, total.

7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Here's what I would want:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Collector's Edition DVD

Disc One:

Audio Commentary from George Lucas, Frank Marshall, Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Shia LeBeouf, Cate Blanchet, Ray Winstone, etc.
    Pop Up Triva Track

Disc Two:

Documentaries
    Kingdom Come: The Making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (60 to 90 minutes)
    The Hat Still Fits: Harrison Ford's Return To The Role of a Lifetime (30 to 40 minutes)

Featurettes
    Reuniting The Family: Cast and Crew Reflect On 28 Years of Indiana Jones (10 to 15 minutes)
    Welcome to the 50s Dr. Jones: Designing Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (10 to 15 minutes)
    The Stunts of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (10 to 15 minutes)
    The Visual Effects of the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (10 to 15 minutes)
    The Music of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (10 to 15 minutes)
    Complete IndianaJones.com Webisodes

Fact or Fiction
    Crystal Skulls (10 to 15 minutes)
    Area 51 (10 to 15 minutes)
    Alien Civilizations (10 to 15 minutes)

Publicity
    Teaser Trailer
    Theatrical Trailer
    TV Spots
    John Williams Music Video
    LEGO Indiana Jones Preview/Playable DEMO
    LucasArt Indiana Jones Video Game Preview

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What?!? You aren't hoping it would come with a letter signed by Harrison Ford and Spielberg??? :eek:

Seriously, I hope you'll get your dream DVD but for me personally, any time a movie's extras have a combined running time exceeding the movie itself, I just start thinking 'overkill'. [face_plain]

9. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I would say my bonus material wish list is on par with the Star Wars Prequel DVDs. I expect nothing less from LucasFilm to be quite honest, but I imagine Spielberg has the overiding vote and will limit content.

10. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    In response to my mention of HD-DVD, its demise wasn't announced at the time of my posting. But yeah, it's safe to say we'll see Blu-Ray.

By the way, why M. Night Shyamalan? Will he discuss the crystal skull's reaction to water?

11. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    M. Night Shyamalan's name was toss around when discussing possibly screen writers several years ago but I don't think he actually did anything on the film.

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No, actually, it was pretty clear since January that HD-DVD was the loser in the format war. But you wouldn't know that unless you follow these things closely. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.