The Curmudgeon thread

Discussion in 'Ventura County, CA' started by Réka, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    (Because I've been feeling curmudgeonly lately. In case it is not obvious, none of this Entirely Serious.)

1. I Hate Ants. Especially ones that refuse to know their place and insist on coming inside the house. I can sort of understand ants at a picnic - after all, they were there first, they can't help it if we plop our picnic blanket right on top of their living quarters. But my house was built in 1958 or so. Trust me, there ain't an ant alive on the planet that was around back then. Or isn't 45 years enough to learn the difference between indoors and outdoors?

I'm tired of waking up to an ant crawling on my arm.

2. People in general need to learn to write. This goes triple for people on the internet. Yeah, I'm snobbish. If someone writes like a 12-year-old, I will think less of their general intelligence. (This is why I don't read fan fiction, and why I keep my visits to the RHS thread brief.) I don't think this is wrong of me. Is it wrong of me? What about if the person is actually 12 years old? What am I supposed to do then? Is there a self-help group or someplace I could go to unlearn spelling and grammar? Is this why I spent all that time in school, learning stupid things like the parts of speech and how to spell "evanescence"?

Feeling gypped (not jipped).

3. If you're gonna translate Harry Potter to Hungarian, what's wrong with calling Hogwarts just that? Why is Roxfort better? And Piton instead of Snape - huh? (Some of them are good, though: Mardekár for Slytherin, for instance. Mar = bite, as in a snake, de = but, kár = damage, harm, but also pity, as in "jaj, de kár" - "oh, what a pity".) And why doesn't Hagrid speak in a nice, thick regional dialect?

Oh, and does anyone actually say "nos" in actual conversation? I've certainly never heard it.

That is all, carry on.
  2. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. *looks around for a hiding place*

Is my style of typing getting to you?
    Here's the way I see it:
    At school you take notes in every single class a day which leads up to 4 and a half hours of writing. In that period if you miss spell or show any form of illiteracy in your graded writing than that lowers your definate grade by -5. When I arrive back at my nice little home at the end of a mad driven day of write write write spell spell spell, your mind is on over load. You have an English teacher who if at any point hears you miss pronounce a word even after school hours at DISNEY LAND for goodness sake will still -5 from your grade. (happened once)
    So I go on line to have a nice chat with my friends and by that time in the day my brain is, well mush. So I decline my knowledge on power charge while I use the unproper terms the average teen uses while passing notes to friends and not caring. Wanna, hafta, cuz, wht, btw, and not even thinking about the horred burden of miss spelling a word. :D
  3. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    Larena, it's not you...it's a general thing. What have you got to do with ants and Harry Potter, for goodness sakes?

Reka...I'm with you all the way, sister. Especially the ants thing. I hate them, too. Even more than roaches...barely.

Evil inventions ants...ick.
  4. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I know but it seemed like she was dissin on my typin then she posted this. I know it's not JUST me.
  5. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, Larena, I guess I was kinda railing at you, but it wasn't meant personally... you've heard about the straw that broke the camel's back? Besides which, my inability to accept substandard writing is just that, my inability. As in, my fault. And I do try to work on it; just sometimes, the curmudgeon comes out and gripes. See above. ;)

Also, I have nothing against 'wanna' and 'hafta', or other nonstandard contractions (ain't, gonna, y'all, kinda, etc.). And I use usenet-style abbreviations (btw, afaik, lol, ymmv, hth, etc.) all the time. Misspelling things on purpose, for effect ('oops' written with too many o's, for instance) is perfectly fine by me.

What gets my hackles up is obliviousness to the rules of grammar and spelling: don't tell me that the general internet populace doesn't know how to spell to/too/two. They do know, but they can't be bothered to type the extra letter, so they use "to" for all three meanings. Or even worse, "2". (The same applies to using '4' as a substitute for 'for'. Wow, you're saving a whole two letters. Gee whiz. That'll really help prevent carpal tunnel.)

On the ant front, I've now used up almost the entire gallon of poison we bought on Sunday, and still I came home to a trail of ants between the fridge and the cat bowl. It looks like I'll be forced to use the stuff indoors as well as out. (I was hoping that putting up an impenetrable barrier around the entire perimeter of the house would be enough. No dice.)

This brings up an addition to the list:

4. Stoopid(tm) cat. Why can't she eat her food in the bowl? Why does she have to pick it up, deposit it on the floor next to the bowl, and then try (ineffectively) to eat it all? She inevitably leaves crumbs, which inevitably draws ants, which inevitably leaves her crying to me that she can't eat her food because there are ants on it.

And I can't even tell her, "tough sh!t", because if I leave the ants, they'll find their way into my food.
  6. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll answer this one at a time Réka. ;)

1. I Hate Ants. Especially ones that refuse to know their place and insist on coming inside the house. I can sort of understand ants at a picnic - after all, they were there first, they can't help it if we plop our picnic blanket right on top of their living quarters. But my house was built in 1958 or so. Trust me, there ain't an ant alive on the planet that was around back then. Or isn't 45 years enough to learn the difference between indoors and outdoors?

I'm tired of waking up to an ant crawling on my arm.

I agree. I have actually officially declared war on ants in the past month, so you're welcome to join me. I kill them whenever the chance presents itself.

2. People in general need to learn to write. This goes triple for people on the internet. Yeah, I'm snobbish. If someone writes like a 12-year-old, I will think less of their general intelligence. (This is why I don't read fan fiction, and why I keep my visits to the RHS thread brief.) I don't think this is wrong of me. Is it wrong of me? What about if the person is actually 12 years old? What am I supposed to do then? Is there a self-help group or someplace I could go to unlearn spelling and grammar? Is this why I spent all that time in school, learning stupid things like the parts of speech and how to spell "evanescence"?

Feeling gypped (not jipped).

First off, I would like to state for the record that I correctly know how to spell "gypped", I just didn't want to seem like I was correcting Matt (seriously...I'm obsessive-compulsive with my spelling). Secondly, bad grammar annoys the smudgens out of me too (not you Larena, you just type fast). People that obviously put no more than the most miniscule of thought into something need to just get off the Internet.

3. If you're gonna translate Harry Potter to Hungarian, what's wrong with calling Hogwarts just that? Why is Roxfort better? And Piton instead of Snape - huh? (Some of them are good, though: Mardekár for Slytherin, for instance. Mar = bite, as in a snake, de = but, kár = damage, harm, but also pity, as in "jaj, de kár" - "oh, what a pity".) And why doesn't Hagrid speak in a nice, thick regional dialect?

Oh, and does anyone actually say "nos" in actual conversation? I've certainly never heard it.

I have no opinion on this. Since I don't know Hungarian, I don't plan on reading Harry Potter in Hungarian, so it's their problem for now. If they like Roxfort better, let them have it. We'll have our precious Hogwarts for years to come.

That is all, carry on.

Will do. :)

Edit: Gah, you had to go and type more.

4. Stoopid(tm) cat. Why can't she eat her food in the bowl? Why does she have to pick it up, deposit it on the floor next to the bowl, and then try (ineffectively) to eat it all? She inevitably leaves crumbs, which inevitably draws ants, which inevitably leaves her crying to me that she can't eat her food because there are ants on it.

Hmm, my cat doesn't have this problem. However, the ants just break into her food tin anyway, so we lose the whole bucket. That is very annoying.

On the ant front, I've now used up almost the entire gallon of poison we bought on Sunday, and still I came home to a trail of ants between the fridge and the cat bowl. It looks like I'll be forced to use the stuff indoors as well as out. (I was hoping that putting up an impenetrable barrier around the entire perimeter of the house would be enough. No dice.)

We've used many a can of Raid, and I'll tell you that there poison does its job. Not one ant has returned to the scene of a Tactical Raid Strike©. Try that. ;)

Larena:
    Yeah, I know but it seemed like she was dissin on my typin then she posted this. I know it's not JUST me.

Dissin' on your typin'? Why would anyone in their right mind ever diss you? ;)
  7. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, I just don't know how to respond to that.
  8. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  9. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
  10. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You know what? That's enough threads that we've derailed. All done.
  11. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
  12. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think typos or spelling errors in an internet forum should have any bearing on the opinion of ones intelligence. Some people, like me, don't like to spend a lot of time screwing with the forums. When I come on here I type my replies as fast as I can and hit the "post" button. I don't proof read or anything cause the way I see it, people will figure it out either way and it's not worth my time and effort to make it all correct. That doesn?t make me less intelligent, lazy maybe, but not less intelligent.
  13. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We never really decided on your full intelligence Matt, so maybe you don't have a "less" to go to. ;)
  14. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    HA! you just did it again! Topic ruiner!
  15. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But who's the real ruiner? The ruiner who posted the ruining, or the follow-up ruiner who further ruined the thread by posting more ruining?
  16. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Who's the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who follows?

Ehem! I HATE ANTS ALSO!
  17. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Very good pick up on my play of that quote.

And now, I am stopping.
  18. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    I hate ants.

:~)

Personally, I have a hard time with the grammatical and/or spelling mistakes simply because I spend my professional life trying to help keep people (students) from making them. Therefore, I want to run all over with my green correcting pen marking up anything I see as wrong. That being said....it's like seeing kids littering at the mall. I can't do anything about it except give them a look that lets them know I saw them, and continue on. My editor's duties end at my classroom door (or with my pile of grading...[groan].....), so I can deal with it.

Unless, of course, someone makes a funny error....or a particularly punny one....in which case all bets are off. :~D

Larena and marmakecam, please continue posting in your normal ways. :~D Well, except for Larena mentioning that she's going to be coming online less for school, and for marmakecam not posting excessively to begin with. So, uh....yeah...carry on....

:~D

BTW, are well allowed to gripe in this thread as well? I have 26 citations from Friday to write up for my SSR students....why? Why can't they just behave for their teachers? Why....? [eyes yellow citation papers grumpily] WHY????
  19. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
    Cause SSR is BORING! I like to read but I always hated SSR!
  20. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love reading, but I always hated SSR too. It made me really nervous, because it was dead quiet, and any small noise you made would echo. I was terrified I would snort or hiccup or something.
  21. marmakecam Jedi Master

star 4
  22. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    I hated it because it was such a short period of time. I don't get how they can expect people to stop reading after 15 minutes.
  23. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    We read for 20.....

and the thing is, they're not getting in trouble (mostly) in MY class...SSR is the time when the "advising teacher" (the one who has them during SSR) is supposed to process the citations the students have gotten in the last day or two. Some teachers save up a wad for a couple of days, then KABOOM!, piles of citations in everyone's box. So, I'm processing 26 citations these kids received from other teachers....grrrr........

[/temp end gripe]

Speaking of which...time to head to school! Woo. Hoo.

;~)
  24. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    Uhh... ok... what is this "SSR" and what is a citation (in this context)?
  25. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    SSR: Silent Sustained Reading

Supposedly...

citation: behavior "ticket" for failing to comply somehow with school rules/expectations

me: frustrated and starting to hate pale yellow papers

174 more days to go! :~D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.