main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    They are announcing it at E3:

[image=http://devcast.dcemulation.com/gallery/DuCharme%20-%20Dreamcast%20Paintjob%202.jpg]

2. irishd2

irishd2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2004
    There will only be one version of the Xbox 360, the gold and silver versions are reffering to the different "flavors" of Xbox Live.

3. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    There will only be one version of the Xbox 360, the gold and silver versions are reffering to the different "flavors" of Xbox Live.

The latest word on Xbox 360 is that - as previously reported - there will be different versions of the machine available at launch.

As well as the standard console, an additional $100 will bag you a hard drive (which is said to fit into a port near the top of the machine), WebTV and, intriguingly, backwards compatibility - meaning that the basic Xbox 360 won't be able to play current-gen Xbox games.

We already know that the basic one will have a 20 gig HD. But the backward compatibility will be on the gold/premium edition. This is to offset having to pay Nvidea to emulate the Xbox chipset. They will announce this at E3. For the extra money we will be getting some more goodies aswell. This will probably be announced at E3 aswell.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Am I the only person sick of Microsft continuing to push Web TV? It's done, let it go.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Am I the only one that thinks it's bull**** that Microsoft is charging up to $100 more for backwards compatibility, which should be pretty much considered a required feature nowadays? I know about the whole royalties thing, but Microsoft should've thought of potential successors to the XBox when they negotiated the contract.

6. irishd2

irishd2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2004
    Hey Uncle_Owen_Kenobi, i looked at your link, and I can disprove it with my own, mainly b/c your info is old(based on the date on the article, after the MTV showcase) and the date of mine, two days ago:

1 version at launch (last paragraph)
    1versionatlaunch

"there will be only one package available to consumers at launch, not the two versions previously rumored (one with a hard drive, one without)

So, the harddrive will be included, and backwards compatibilty has been confirmed, just look at my link on it on page 1 of this thread.

7. mister_chief

mister_chief Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    call me a fanboy but the best game system the x-box will be a even better and now will have USB ports so i can hook it up to my wireless network. X-box is the best system out there now that is all "pimped up" as the X-box 360 it has great games and a good all around system. If it supports X-box 1 games to i think that i will marry it. But hey i also hear good stuff about ps3.

P.S> i really just expect the new nintendo console to get blown out of the water b PS3 and X-box 360 they sould stick to handhelds and recover from the damage done to them and their hand held system monopoly by the PSP.

8. Addiction

Addiction Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    Nintendo will own just watch.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    really just expect the new nintendo console to get blown out of the water b PS3 and X-box 360 they sould stick to handhelds and recover from the damage done to them and their hand held system monopoly by the PSP.

Yeah because their DS selling out all other game systems in Japan COMBINED, and Nintendog's becoming the most important thing since sliced bread, shows that they are seriously hurting.

10. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
  11. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Uncle_Owen_Kenobi posted on 5/14/05 12:00pm
    The PSX at launch was $299. The N64 was $250. The Saturn was $399. The Xbox 360 will be $299 for the silver and 360-99 $for the gold. The PS3 will probably end up at $299 aswell.
    [hr][/blockquote]

are you sure about those prices? $300 for psx at launch? well, i didn't get mine anywhere near launch, but i believe i only paid about $100 for it brand new...doesn't seem like it would've went down by $200 in that time span.

what was the ps2 at launch? i wanna say like $300...i remember the big hassle w/ finding them right away. i think it was released in the fall and i wasn't able to get mine until around my bday in march of the next year. i found one at a sony outlet store. i recall that at that particular store they forced you to buy 2 games w/ the ps2. 2 brand new games were $50 a piece and i remember positively that i paid about $400 for all of it. so then, you're saying the psx at release was the same exact price as the ps2 at release? that doesn't seem likely.

my first choice w/ the next gen consoles will be ps3, then nintendo and unless xbox 360 has something i really want, probably won't get one of those (i don't have xbox now, so i'm not really following it anyhow).

i'd be willing to pay between $300-$400 for ps3--anymore than that and they're pushing it. those prices are about that of a low-end pc right now, granted you can't really play games too well on a pc that only costs that much, but you [i]could[/i] play them and that pc can do a lot more than just play games...what more can the ps3/xbox 360/nintedo revolution do? i don't buy a gaming console to watch dvds on, i have a dvd player, thanks. i'm not interested in anything media center related--i have all those capabilities w/ my pc and tivo.

also, what has anyone heard about the price of the actual games going up? will that happen as well?

12. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Has it been confirmed XBOX 360 is backwards compatilble ? & PS3 ?

13. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    In your opinion the X-Box and X-Box 360 pwns all other consoles. But lets keep that debate out of this thread please.

Yeah, I believe the PS1 was about 299 at release, but then again that was probably the price of a SNES at release as well. And as far as I can remember a new game has roughly cost 49.99 for SNES, PS, DC, PS2, X-Box, etc. and those prices have been consistant even though the value of the dollar has decreased since then. It may go up to account for inflation, but then again it may not and I don't really see it going up. Drive the price too high and people won't buy their stuff.

14. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    so ps1, ps2, and ps3 will/have all be/been $300 at launch and game prices won't go up? interesting.

$300 i can deal w/ for ps3.

15. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Nintendo officially say Our Console is awesome, and it's got backwards compatability. AND OMG YOU CAN USE BOTH OUR BIG NEW OPTICAL DISKS AND THE OLD LITTLE GAMECUBE DISKS IN THE SAME DRIVE.

Also, some there's been some fan**** floating around the internet; an unofficial, but very professional looking video clip showing off the "Nintendo On: Revolution System", featuring some utterly awesome headgear that allows you to essentially "be" one of the in game characters (as demonstrated with a brief Samus Aran clip). It's probably bogus, but it's still very shiny.
    You can download the 6min clip here.

16. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I did some looking around, and it turns out that $400 is well above average for the launch price of a new system... so that shuts me up pretty good. :p Here's a quick list of what prices most of the major consoles lauched at:

NES - $200
    Genesis - $200
    SNES - $200
    3DO - $700
    Jaguar - $200
    Saturn - $400
    PS1 - $300
    N64 - $200
    Dreamcast - $200
    PS2 - $300
    Gamecube - $200
    Xbox - $300

As you can see, the only two systems that had the balls to launch at over $300 failed miserably. (3DO, Saturn)

I'm pretty sure that the NEO-GEo launched for more than $300, but I couldn't find the actual price anywhere.

Bottom line is, it might be a mistake for Microsoft to put such a hefty price tag on their new system, regardless of how many bells and whistles they throw on it.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Then again, lots of people readily shelled-out $250 for a handheld system... [face_plain]

18. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah, thats absurd.

19. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I skimmed the thread, but didn't notice anything, since posts have focused on 1) Xbox 360 or 2) past launch prices.

1) Will PS3 have an internal Hard drive?
    2) What is the launch title?
    3) Will it be Worldwide launch? Or Japan exclusive?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was talk a few months back that developers are pushing for a $10 price increase on games to cover increased production costs and such.

>>It's probably bogus, but it's still very shiny.<<

It's definitely bogus, but it is very sweet (the "Nintendo retrospective" introduction was quite cool, as was the multi-castle effect).

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    1) Will PS3 have an internal Hard drive?

Don't know for sure yet, but probably not.

2) What is the launch title?

Do you mean "What are the launch titles?" Again, don't know yet-- expect the system and launch titles to be revealed at E3.

3) Will it be Worldwide launch? Or Japan exclusive?

I think it'll probably launch like the PS2; I think the PS2 was worldwide, but I don't remember for sure. And while PS3 could be released in Japan first, it would never be "Japan exclusive." ;)

There was talk a few months back that developers are pushing for a $10 price increase on games to cover increased production costs and such.

Yeah, I read about that in EGM. Apparently the industry has been encouraged to raise the price (on popular games at least) because of the number of people who buy the "collector's editions" that are $5-$10 more than the regular game. What they don't seem to realize is that people pay more because the games contain more; that typically wouldn't be the case if $60 was the industry standard.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    PS2 hit Japan first, then here.

It was funny too- because people over there were basicly buying PS2's as DVD players, not as gaming systems (the sales reports showed that there weren't enough games sold for there to be even one game for every system sold).

23. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I didn't mean for PS3 to just be in Japan. I meant the initial launch of the PS3 is just in Japan.

When is E3? I thought it already happened?

24. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Im still wondering if PS3 & XBOX 360 is backwards compatible

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    PS3 will definitely be backwards compatible.

When is E3? I thought it already happened?

It starts sometime early this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.