main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    oh cool. looks like i chose to tune in about the next gen systems at the right time :p

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    E3 Conference: 17-18
    E3 Expo: 18-20

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wouldn't "E3 Conference" be EEC and not E3? :p

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well the website didn't specify ;)

5. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    For those interested in the "official" announcement of Sony's PS3 (Such a creative title! ;) , go here:

PS3 Announced for 2006

I noticed that Sony is going to use Bluetooth. As one who has been employed in the wireless industry for years, I am happy to hear this. Bluetooth is an underutilized technology here in North America.

Here are some images, as well:

PS3 Images

6. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    PS3 Revealed.

Blu-Ray discs as its media format.
    It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats.

Backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation.

slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5 inch HDD

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz, giving the whole system 2.18 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, and have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

RSX "Reality Synthesizer" based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around

512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors

**The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards** Sony Hype, like how the PS2 was supposed to be 10x more powerful then the Dreamcast, or whatever number they were using. [face_laugh]

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video.

Keeping in mind that Sony has always been big on hype in the past, I'll take what they have to say with a grain of salt. But I'm still stoked about the PS3. Initialy I planned on getting the Xbox 360 and the PS3 next gen. And I dont see that changing.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The PS3 looks nice, but it seems like they changed the controller design unnecessarily.

Keeping in mind that Sony has always been big on hype in the past...

When has that not been true with Microsoft, Sega, Nintendo, Atari, and... Nokia?

8. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Heh, that PS3 controller is pretty fugly. Looks like a nightmare to use.

When has that not been true with Microsoft, Sega, Nintendo, Atari, and... Nokia?

M$ and Nintendo weren't the ones going on and on about how their console would have Toy Story graphics. Back during the PS2 launch the amount of BS that Sony was spouting was pretty far fetched. Neither M$ nor Nintendo came close to the stuff that Sony was saying.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Perhaps, but they all spout bull****.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://members.aol.com/strykerdurden/PS3controller.jpg]

I think we know the target demographic for the PS3 now...

[image=http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10102000/10102787.jpg]

11. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    nintendo should get the bollocks to make a system that will play all their past games.

Thats what i like about sony. they worked with one medium, didn't change the shape of their games and such. it's nice i can play Silent Hill with my PS2 instead of taking up space with a PSone

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that's what they'r eplanning to do from now on as the revolution will play GCN games. It's understandable that the GCN wasn't bakcwards compatible because you're dealing with the shift from cartridges to discs- something Sony didn't have to deal with.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    nintendo should get the bollocks to make a system that will play all their past games.

When you say all you don't mean "ALL" do you? That would require a system with THREE seperate slots just for the different size cartridges, not to mention a DVD-drive for the new round of games. Backwards compatability with the Gamecube is all we're gonna get and is the only thing that is feasible. By feasible, I mean "cost affective"

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the best you could hope for would be an add-on or stand-alone "legacy" device, but there's no way the core system of a console would contain so many format connections.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Does anyone else remember hearing rumors about an add-on to the Gamecube that would play N64 games? Was that idea scrapped?

16. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Nintendo done a poll on the OS so it was considered.

Also, PS3's controller is quite disgusting.

17. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    IGN has posted an image of the Revolution. Looks like a car stereo deck.

[image=http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615008/e3-2005-revolution-revealed-20050517010646774.jpg]

Their conference is today so we will see if thats correct.

18. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    The2ndQuest posted on 5/16/05 8:30pm
    [image=http://members.aol.com/strykerdurden/PS3controller.jpg][hr][/blockquote]

...Those two wings on the side are obviously a phallic reference.

19. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm not a fan of the designs of the next generation consoles. Sure they're all sleek but they look the same.

20. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Well, I'm happy that Microsoft revealed that the Xbox360 is backward-compatible, but they used the cryptic phrase "With top-selling Xbox games". I'm not sure if they're actually going to have limited backward-compatibility, or if they're just covering their butts, since the PS2 didn't really play all of the PS1's games.

Microsoft's Xbox360 Hits all Cylinders

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm...the Revolution's design doesn't blow me away as much as the GCN's did, but it is sleek looking at least. Don't care much for the XB360 blender look, but the PS3 ain't too shabby (though the breadbox aspect and boomerang thing is a tad odd).

New info on the Revolution is saying there will be downloadable games available such as Super Mario Sunshine and Donkey Kong, so perhaps, ina way, this will be more backwards compatible than originally thought...from a certain point of view.

22. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Awww crap. If SE starts produces RPGs for the X-Box I may have to purchase one of those damn consoles. :(

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still waiting for the Infinium Phantom.

I mean how can you not trust a website that goes through so much effort so you can track if their stock is at 14 cents of 15 cents through the day?

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Oh yeah the Phantom can't forget about that badboy. That system is going to kick ass if and when its released! The low stock is only a tease to make us believe it doesn't exist and to tell us to buy *now*. For when its released it'll go up to like 50/60 bucks overnight. And we'll be rich!!

25. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Seriously!

I mean look it has a dynamic, personalized user interfaces customizable for age, gender or technical expertise!

Phantom>You

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.