main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Current) Generation Trilogy: Wii, PS3 & XBox 360 (Console Comparison & Discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Awww crap. If SE starts produces RPGs for the X-Box I may have to purchase one of those damn consoles.

FFXI for the Xbox/360.

Square Enix tech demo for the 360.

I used to be a huge Square fan from the NES up to the PSX. The last Square game I enjoyed was FF Tactics. Heh, FF 8 turned me off of Square. But I guess this is good news to some people. Personaly I want to see Atlus release some stuff on the 360. A next gen Disgaea: Hour of Darkness would be sweet for those who missed out on the PS2 game.

2. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    And now, the Revolution details are coming in from the Big 'N':

Nintendo's E3 2005 Conference

The biggest news so far regarding the Revolution, IMO, is this:

Iwata then talks about backward compatibility. "Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made.

:eek:

[image=http://media.ign.com/thumb/112/1122287/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517022356433_thumb.jpg]

3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, if that's true about being able to download every Nintendo game ever made, then I will absolutely be getting Nintendo's new system... not that I wasn't planning to get all three systems... eventually.

I just hope that it isn't too expensive to download those games. It really shouldn't cost more than a few bucks each, IMO.

4. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Just finished watching that Nintendo conference. Wow, what a let down. No Revolution specs, no controller, no games, no videos, just a lot of talk. The crowd actually booed when they heard that nothing would be shown. This was the worse Nintendo showing at E3 to date. The intro was great but then everything went south real fast.

Edit: It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made.

Psst! I can do that now on my PC. ;)

5. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Yes but now you can do it without playing the legal lottery ;)

EDIT: Finally I can get Battletoads again :D

6. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Heh, I'm in Canada. It's only illegal to upload here, not download. So I don't have to worry about the legal lottery. ;)

7. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I guess Nintendo's approach on downloading old titles is a better approach to having the system backwards compatible to the NES [face_laugh]

i wonder how big the HD for the Revolution will be [face_thinking]

I miss the old Metroid games :(

Soon, I can have them again :D

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Revolution has 512 MB of onboard flash memory for data storage (which, considering the sizes for NES and SNES games, is more than enough if thats what it's primary function is to be used for).

Though I think it's a fair bet that either NOA or a third party manufacturer will come out with some kind of larger storage add-on.

Revolution titles mentioned so far: Metroid Prime 3, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Super Smash Bros. (confirmed launch title), Mario & Zelda titles "already on their way".

9. LegatoBluesummers

LegatoBluesummers Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    these systems will be the greatest ever, and this is probably the best looking out of the three, cant wait to pretty much own every one in SSB when it comes out

10. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Revolution sounds sweet!

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I guess having downloadable games was the "big innovation" that Nintendo was talking about. Eh, I'm excited.

And I didn't think that it would actually be called "Revolution." I thought that "Revolution" was to Nintendo's next console as "Dolphin" was to Gamecube.

12. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    It may still be a codename / tentative.

Backwards compatability is definetely not the big innovation either. Nintendo revealed very little about the Revolution today.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Revolution is still the project name (ala Dolphin for GCN or Reality for N64).

And I don't think the downloadable games is the big innovation. They said there was something special about the controllers, but that they're not ready to show that yet.

I'm actually surprised they didn't reveal more at E3- I would have thought that, from Nintendo's perspective, advance word of "something better to come" would be the best tactic to counter XB360 hitting the market first.

When is the next big gaming conference, anyways? I'd imagine Nintendo would have to announce something big by October at the latest to counter XB and PS3 hype.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Spaceworld is in August, and that's when the Gamecube was fully revealed.

15. KaptainKaos

KaptainKaos Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2004
    You people complain about nintendo not showing more, but the expo hasn't even started yet, this is all from pre-shows/conferences.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But thats usually when the big hardware and software unveilings are- expo days are more about hands-on demos and such.

And, ah, good, I had forgotten about Spaceworld.

17. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Actually, I thought I heard that Revolution is actually the official name. And if you look at the system you can see Revolution on it.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Wow, it took me a while to see "Revolution" in small letters on the front of the console.

19. beajedi

beajedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2004
    i'm kind of disappointed with the lack of specs and game footage as well.

My guess is that Nintendo finally got wind of the PS3/Xbox specs and decided to not release their specs. Then they could re-do the hardware (i.e. increase processor speeds) in order to match/surpass the power of the PS3/Xbox360

20. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    But haven't they stopped doing Spaceworld? The last one I remember was in 2001. I know that there was no Spaceworld in 2002 and 2004. Not to sure if they had one in 2003.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I have no idea. I was just guessing, really, 'cause I remember being baffled by the name "Spaceworld." :p

22. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Does anyone know if these will be backwards compatible yet ?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point it seems all three systems will be backwards compatible.

24. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point it seems all three companies are willing to claim their system is capable of doing anything short of bringing back the dead.

I'm willing to wait to see what is delivered.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    farraday posted on 5/17/05 7:43pm
    At this point it seems all three companies are willing to claim their system is capable of doing anything short of bringing back the dead.[hr][/blockquote]

Just wait until Sega's next console is announced...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.